Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:39:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 661
Total: 663

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Unsure where to post this.  (Read 2357 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

Unsure where to post this.
« on: December 11, 2008, 02:24:42 pm »
(posting "just because"  ;D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6Tjwgs_AM

So Tim Gunn says in this video AIDS nearly ruined the fashion industry in the 1980s. Does the fashionista speak the truth? As a child in the 1970s I was in an expected post-Garanimals phase and in the 80s I viewed fashion as thriving and vibrant. In other words I had no point of reference since I was born in the 70s.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Re: Unsure where to post this.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 02:36:28 pm »
I heard there was a lot of up and comers who died in there prime.  The industry may have survived but those who could have made a difference were not there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 02:36:46 pm »

Alex, perhaps he has a point.  See below

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:35:37 pm »
LOL Tom. my brother (he was about 13, I was about 8 ) said he'd never speak to me again if he found out I owned Underoos or asked for Underoos. But he should've  known our frugal mom and dad would deem it absurd to pay more for fancy underwear. plain white (and cheap  :D) or they ain't buyin'

I heard there was a lot of up and comers who died in there prime.  The industry may have survived but those who could have made a difference were not there.

oh. makes sense so I guess that's what he meant.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:47:33 pm »
Yeah, there were a lot of deaths in that industry -- isn't that a non-brainer?  The US fashion industry is centered on Manhattan, and that was the epicenter of AIDS in the US (shared with San Francisco but of course that city is much smaller than NYC).

Just off hand I can recall what a huge deal it was in the business when designer Willi Smith passed away in 1987.  He was only in his late 30's and one of the biggest name in fashion, and assuredly by far the largest of that younger generation.  Also one of the biggest models in fashion, Gia Carangi, died just before Smith -- both of them were from Philadelphia.  Perry Ellis died around that time -- another huge name.  Patrick Kelly too.

Oh -- how could I forget.  HALSTON... biggest name of them all.

Those are just the large names that I can think of, but hardly the point.  If you've moved in those circles you quickly realize that all of the lesser levels of the business are largely staffed by gay men, so there were assuredly huge parts of the entire business greatly effected.  It's much like Broadway in that respect.

I'm sure it was the same in the other huge fashion cities -- Milan, Paris and London.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:29:41 pm »
I had my own style in the 80's much like was seen in the video.  I called it "Mendocino Chic" although a lot of pieces were picked up from specialty stores near campus at Humboldt State.  Being a student, I also shopped at International Male (by mail) and returned nearly everything because they automatically sent a voucher with a higher purchase price than the original items.

There was a shop in Eureka where I went with my friends to try on clothes.  They featured unused dress items from the 20's and the 30's.  We were the "fashion trendsetters" of HSU.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.