Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:26:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 624
Total: 624

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First job interview. D:  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
First job interview. D:
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:34:55 pm »
Eek. I have my first job interview tomorrow for a pet store in the mall. I went in today when I was going shopping for some clothes (again. I know. I have a problem. Maybe they have a support group for that? D:) and I decided to ask if they were looking for some help in the pet store. Sure enough the lady said they were looking for help in sales. I filled out the application in the store and she set me up for a job interview on the spot for tomorrow at noon.

I'm really really really nervous. I've never been to a job interview before. I'm wearing a striped sweater and a pair of grey-black cords. I don't know what to dooo. I'm so nervous.

It's a pet store so it's really perfect for me, really, and I'd love to work at a pet store. But ugh. I've never had to do this beforeeee. I don't knowww.

Offline Dachshund

Re: First job interview. D:
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 06:41:04 pm »
Take a deep breath and just be yourself...you'll be fine. Make sure you look the interviewer in the eye and try to give more than just a yes or no answer. Do not mention Matty or me. ;D

Go get em kid!
Aunty D

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 06:50:16 pm »
An interview is just a way to see if the business likes you and a way for you to get a flavor for working there.  You love animals, so share that with them and convince them that you are the best person for the job.  Just try and relax and take your time answering questions.  Also remember that we all had our "first" interview and this employer is sensitive to that, so like Dach said, just be yourself and you will do fine.

edited due to brain fog, that's my story and I am sticking to it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:52:11 pm by killfoile »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:13:59 pm »
Yay!!!! Good Luck with the interview. You should ace the interview, be sure to tell her about the pets you have especially Peter Parker, who can resist good old spidey? Like someone said, use eye contact, interviewers do notice that. I'll be waiting to hear you got the job.... :-*
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 07:52:28 pm »
Just be yourself and it'll come through how much you love and care for animals.  it shouldnt be a problem since youre more articulate than most people your age...heck, youre more articulate than most people my age too.  As AD said below, maintain eye contact and give more than a yes or no answer...elaborating with specific examples, when possible, will impress them.  Dont forget the firm handshake...dont break anyones fingers, but make sure its a little firm...itll show youre confident and helps make a good first impression.

Good luck!!

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:11:20 pm »
I join with all the other respondents - BE YOURSELF - don't try to over sell yourself or don't get over excited - relax and just be the angelic person you are - they are looking for someone who can make customers feel welcome and wanted in their petshop - they want someone who is going to learn quickly how a petshop runs - from what I have seen of your writings and the stories that you tell, I think you are capable of doing all that.
The one important thing that any customer wants when they enter a store for the 1st or the 20th time is a warm welcoming smile.
That is what you must do tomorrow, look and be relaxed - get to bed early tonight and relax - have a good breakfast  and remember to look and be relaxed in the interview.

Good luck - we're all with you

Regards
Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:33:41 am »
This may help relax you:

Picture the person interviewing you NAKID!

Let us know how it goes. I want a discount on those hot black leather spike collars (hehe)

Positive since 1985

Dan J.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 05:22:11 am »
Jaser,

Good luck with your first job interview.

Dan

Offline mjmel

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 05:38:16 am »
We've all had our first job scrutiny and felt the nervousness that accompanies the first interview. Luckily, this is a natural for you cuz of your love of animals and you easily could project some confidence as well as a bit of nerves (expected on a first-ever interview). Project your self-image as a person that can be relied upon and it's cinched.  :)

Remember she set you up on-the-spot because she needs someone and has already considered you as a real possibility. Otherwise she wouldn't have set up the interview. Stay cool and be you and, as Hal stated, look her in the eye when responding to her as it projects sincerity.

Success to ya, Sweetie. What a great way to start the year. New job. New clothes!
Mike M
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:46:12 am by mjmel »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 09:10:56 am »
Oh Jaser, I'm so excited for you!  And a pet shop!  What could be more perfect.  Like others have said, maintain eye contact and project confidence in yourself.  Good luck and puhleeze let us know how things go! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 10:22:26 am »
Good luck Jaser!

They'd be silly to not hire you. With your love of animals you'll definitely be an asset to any pet store in the world.

Fingers crossed!

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 10:31:04 am »
One thing I forgot to mention Mouse. If you are seated when the interviewer enters the room make sure you stand up and shake their hand. Do that and I guarantee you get the job.

Go get em,
Aunty D

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 10:41:35 am »
Good luck, Jaser.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ademas

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 01:29:44 pm »
Good luck, Jaser!  That would be so perfect for you.

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 02:20:23 pm »
Great news! I'm crossing my thumbs for you!  :)

"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 03:41:20 pm »
Well, I think it went well. The girl seemed to REALLY like me and I made her laugh a lot and she was really relaxed so it relaxed me so that was cool. :]

She said a few times that she really liked my answers. She told me that the job doesn't normally work out with guys and asked me what makes me different. xD. I told her I'm not really concerned with showing off or being macho or whatever and that I'm more interested in the animals and stuff. She laughed and said she liked that.

She asked me what the hardest part of the job I think might be. I told her I always get frustrated about the animal thing when I give people good advice about animals and they don't listen to me because they heard different. I told her if that happened a lot that would be difficult for me. And I brought up how people think goldfish only live a couple years and stuff and she was like YEAH AND THEY KEEP THEM IN BOWLS and I was like YEAH GRRR D:. And we laughed. Haha.

But yeah. I feel pretty confident about it. I'm hoping I get a call. :[

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 03:51:13 pm »
When you get the job do we get a discount?

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 04:05:42 pm »
When you get the job do we get a discount?

If you feel like travelling to Buttfuck, New Jersey to buy pet supplies for Sam. :P

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 04:22:10 pm »
Wow Jaser, that's great! Sounds like somebody got the job! ;D

Happy hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 06:56:27 pm »
This may help relax you:

Picture the person interviewing you NAKID!

Let us know how it goes. I want a discount on those hot black leather spike collars (hehe)

I'm confused... how will picturing the interviewer score the job if Jaser's nakid?  ;D
(Come on, you knew someone would think screwy like that.)

Be confident Jaser. You'll make a good employee at a pet store for sure! Good luck to you!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:58:58 pm by marc11864 »
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 07:23:03 pm »
Marc...I said for Jaser to picture the person interviewing him Naked. So you know, he would relax and maybe laugh some.

I did not mean for jase to be naked.....I hope that clears that up.
Positive since 1985

Offline mjmel

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 07:59:47 pm »
A superb interview! Yea!

Mike M

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 08:09:57 pm »
Mouser, it sounds like it went well. If you don't happen to get that one, don't let it get you down. There are more jobs out there. You need the interviewing exposure anyway.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 08:02:32 am »
Good Luck, Jaser. Given your love of animals, you will do great. Cristy

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 08:04:22 am »
Jaser, it sounds like it went very well.  I'm really glad.  I just got done reading your blog also, and I hope things that are going on with your pop work out.  Good for you!  I hope you get it! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.