Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:33:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 357
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Contact lenses  (Read 2969 times)

Offline SASA39

Contact lenses
« on: March 29, 2007, 05:08:42 am »
I`ve been wearing hard or GP ( gas permeable ) C.L. for about 30 years.
They had been prescribed to me due to a big dioptre difference beetwen my eyes and a fast progression myopia at that time ( puberty )
I cannot switch to a soft ones because the one that I wear has made a some kind of permanent scar or incavation to be more precise in my eye.
Since I was diagnosed I have felt that my eyes has become more sensitive.
And I`m scared that a wearing of contact lenses might provoke some further complications due to a  cleansing chemicals or prolonged wearing.
Any experience at this field anyone ?
Thanks                         Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
Re: Contact lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:18:50 am »
I wear soft contact lenses on occasions. I think it's the bacterial film on the surface which can lead to infections of the eye, even more with poz folks. Just pay double attention to the proper cleaning and don't wear them longer than recommended.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline SASA39

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:26:39 am »
So to wear or not to wear the question is now ?
Hard C.L. (G.P - gas permeable demands less  hygiene than a soft one )
                                                       Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:43:15 am »
My opthomologist said people with HIV are 5-8 times more likely to develop a corneal infection. I've had three since being poz.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:29:12 am »
I've been wearing gas perm lenses for 21 years myself. When I first started wearing them my optometrist was my step dad but he has since retired. I've had 2 doctors since who have tried to get me to switch to soft lenses but I feel the hard are just easier all around from putting in to taking out to cleaning. Soft can be cheaper but I'm happy to pay the extra for ease and comfort. Now with not having full use of my left hand due to PML I can still put in my contacts in with only my right hand. I do have some vision problems strictly due to the PML and over the last 2 years I've seen a opthomologist 3 times and I've been told my eye itself is completely healthy. My only problem with the hard is that ever since my step dad retired the doctors just haven't been able to fit the lenses perfectly but I deal. My step dad would periodically have my lenses polished from the maker which strips them of build up missed during general cleanings. My new optometrist said she could do the same for me yearly if I don't buy new lenses every year. I rarely sleep with my lenses in and if I do it's only a nap but never  all night. Also I use Boston Simplus, Multi-Action Solution.

Jeff

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:43:16 pm »
I have worn contacts since I was 14, and gas permable since around 19, so almost 20 years.

I have never had an eye infection from my contacts. I clean them as required, always wash my hands when taking them in or out. I try not to touch my eyes during the day.

I do have cmv retinitis, but that has nothing to do with my contacts. The opthalmologist who treats the cmv knows I wear contacts, and has never said anything against them or advise that I stop wearing them.

The gas permables do bother me when they need enzymed, or if I am on the computer a long time, they tend to get dried out because I don't blink as much, but other than those two things, never had a problem. (Except loosing them a few times...)

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.