Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:33:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 239
Total: 240

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feeling alone in a room full of people  (Read 5221 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Feeling alone in a room full of people
« on: March 03, 2007, 09:54:31 pm »
I am very active in my church.  If there is an activity going on I am pretty much involved in some way.  All the little ladies know me and are trying to find a man for me, the kids know me from teaching Sunday School and families know me from cooking the fellowship meal every Wed. Although not on staff some people think I am.  I point this out simply to let you know most everyone in church knows me.  So why is it tonight at our talent show, I felt completely alone amongst 150 members of my church family.  I became sad as I saw the families and couples laughing and enjoying themselves.  I was particularly touched by the woman that was signing a lovely song for her deaf boyfriend.  I smiled and thought how wonderful when I saw the 70 year old grandmother, who 5 years ago realized she was a lesbian, sitting with her partner.  I saw young couples about to be married and new parents, and slowly a sadness began to engulf me that became too much and I had to leave.  I went to our dimly lit sanctuary with its stone walls and moon soaked stained glass windows and I cried and then I sobbed.  It had nothing to do with HIV. Selfishly I was overwhelmed with sadness that I was alone without my special someone, even though there was a room full of people who would do anything for me that I asked.  I sat and stared at the ceiling listening to the silence while I felt sorry for myself.  After about 10 minutes I composed myself and returned for the final part of the program.  It was then that I saw a couple who last year lost their daughter in a tragic alligator attack in Florida. The pain, the sadness, the lose they must deal with on a daily basis, I cannot possibly imagine.  It really put my feelings of loneliness in perspective and made me grateful for all the special people that are in my life.

Feeling Content,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Longislander

Re: Feeling alone in a room full of people
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:06:14 am »
sweet ending Woods, but there's much to be said about someone to share your life with. It does get tough watching such simple things as a couple in a store shopping together, or walking together, whatever, then going home to an empty house.

He'll show up eventually. You're out there, at least you've got the scouts out!!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline rick21007

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:02:43 am »
Hey Woods----I can really appreciate your posting.  Fact is there are a lot of us who just were not designed to go it alone without a mate, no matter how you cut it.  Loneliness is that emotion that motivates us to keep searching until we do find a mate.  I wish you the best to find that special guy--or that he will find you.

Rick

Offline koi1

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:11:43 am »
In times like those, I'm glad you have jesus. We all need an imaginary friend.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 10:24:56 am »
Woods, you are such a special, attractive and loving guy.  I know that you will make someone very happy someday, and he will do the same for you.  I know it's hard to be patient, but it will come.  In the meantime, you should probably know that if even the smallest part of the kindness and love you display here comes through in real life, that you truly deserve a man who will sweep you off your feet and cherish you for the beautiful person that you are.

Many hugs,
Scott

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline bravebuddharich

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:27:28 am »
I certainly can relate - I especially feel lonely on weekends, when I would like to spend time with a special someone. I had a five year relationship when I was in my late 20's, early 30's - I'm now 42, and I despair of ever meeting anyone I really like who will like me back (love, actually). It's the reciprocation part of the equation that has eluded me. I hate it when people tell me how wonderful it is to be single, yet they usually are NOT single themselves! I'd rather have a mate - I want the handholding, the kisses, the sweetness, and even the work of a relationship! The feeling valued, being able to share one's day with, to have the "easy silence" that the dixie chicks sing about in their beautiful song. I've run out of ideas as to how exactly to meet single gay men, esp. ones who won't freak out over my HIV status!!!

Rich from Boston, who wants to know if anybody knows any cute available poz men in Boston??

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 03:25:08 pm »
made me grateful for all the special people that are in my life.

Amen, brother, Amen.

I believe that my faith has played a huge and crucial role in helping me put one foot in front of the other and learning how to live a new life.

As for men, I do believe that there is someone out there for me but I don't know when he's going to show up, that is the frustrating part. I can love my family, my friends, my dogs, my church, my God but still desire someone to hold and be held by, and not having that breaks my heart a little more each day.

I see young couples at church so full of life and hope, and older couples so in tune with each other that they seem like one person. I see little kids laugh and so alive, teenagers trying to be sooooo cool and so on and so on.. And then there's me who's also there and a respected member of my community, cleans up pretty well, a good guy, a good friend, just a good person. Just a good person who is alone. And I have to wonder what I did to be sitting here all by myself. Wondering if I'm going to be by myself forever and thinking how to accept that.

But a church going, hard working, stand up, gay man who isn't into all the "stuff" doesn't seem the stand a chance. But I haven't given up hope that someday I'll look up and he'll be there and don't you either! He's out there just waiting to run into you!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

If you're ever in Colorado I'd give my right arm to take you to dinner!
When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 04:40:02 pm »
Woody,

(I hope this won’t be too presumptuous.)

I was deeply moved by the honest account of your evening and more so by your obvious insight into your psyche/mind/heart/soul. You seem to be a decent intelligent and sensitive guy. Clearly you are someone who would have a lot to bring to a loving partnership.

If you keep attuned to people around you, if and when it is meant for you to cross paths with someone with similar potential you're halfway home. The odd (sometimes frustrating) thing is, I've never been able to predict when or where that would happen in my own life, or cause it to be. Honestly, it’s usually when I least expected it.

Keep close to your God and I know he will bring an answer to your loneliness. He did to mine, more than once and in a variety of ways. Trust in that and try not to get too discouraged by the waiting. Meanwhile, ignore the nay sayers and keep involved in life.

I say just keep following your “honest heart” and when the time is right I bet you will meet someone who will be just the right someone for you.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 06:53:27 pm »
Its so good to see this thread and be able to say it CAN happen. My (negative) partner met me again after a gap of 15 years, two years after my diagnosis, and we are now living together. we have our problems as any couple do but I never thought it would happen
As Dave Allen used to say 'may your god go with you'....and from me, I hope you find the person you so richly deserve. Men who are as open and thoughtful as those who have posted here are few and far between in my experience
You are going to make someone very happy
X
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 08:07:48 pm »
Woods,

If it helps any, I've certainly felt the same way in similar situations, in both
large and small groups:  a feeling of overwhelming aloneness and sadness
when I see people with their partners and families, sharing not only special
events but ordinary occasions.  I don't think it is selfish to feel this way.

What helps me snap out of it is to remind myself how lucky
I am to have the important people who are in my life, and how fortunate
I have been in many respects.  I still can't help but wonder if I will ever
meet that special guy to be my mate.  Maybe; maybe not -- there's just
no telling.  I'm just trying to learn to be happy either way (which, for me,
is easier said than done).

I do wish you freedom from your loneliness, and one way to do that is
to reach out to others -- as you have done here.

Regards,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 04:43:28 am »
Boy do I feel ya!
Meds doing well so far.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 08:10:47 am »
Woods, I could take your image and move it to Chelsea, NYC with 'only' gay male couples on the sidewalk, talking to each other, shopping, having meals together and there I was, walking a dog but otherwise alone.  If you are totally jaded, you can take a writer's look at the couples and, by listening, believe that you are actually glad to not be either one in them.  If you are among your church members, you might be only able to be glad that he will show up and he will measure up because you know what they have and what you are also in need of.  Wishing that this happens soon for you.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 10:13:16 am »
I can comprehend what you feel. It is not easy to be alone but neither are relationships. Now I know why people who are in love for many years and stick together say love is a priveledge.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 04:34:01 pm »
One thing I’ve learned over the years is how healthy Love relationships (like any really) take work! If both parties don't know that from the onset they are doomed to fail. The perks can be great, but the little hurts and disagreements that don’t get mended can spell disaster.

What's that saying? Be careful what you hope for cos you just might get it. ;)

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 05:48:34 pm »
Thats so true. I think a full time realationship is like a full time job, often frustrating, is sometimes a daily grind but God, when its good it makes you so damn happy doesn't matter if it makes you a millionaire!!
I'm by no means smug in my situation. Because my partner is negative can still feel the same way as you Woods
xx
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 11:07:19 pm »
Get me in...

I also feel so lonely... And actualy scared, because of my status.

I just wanna wake up one morning, being cuddled with that someone special.. SOmetimes, I just wonder if that is ever going to happen. And if it happens...Will it be too late?

ALex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.