Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:52:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 237
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cardiac Blues  (Read 26376 times)

Offline somdamon

Cardiac Blues
« on: June 08, 2008, 03:25:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

During the past 7 months I have been experiencing infrequent symptoms of aching in my chest. The episodes never last more than 2 or 3 minutes and appear maybe once a month. I have been a heavy cigarette smoker for 32 years and have chalked up my chest aching to sore-tired lungs. Boy....I was wrong.

I finally brought this up to my doctor last month and have since been having certain diagnostic tests done. My doc feels it is heart related and immediately referred me to a cardiologist. So far, tests have revealed a blockage in one of my arteries. Next week I am scheduled for a cardiac catheterization to determine the extent of the blockage.

I am in PANIC mode and so very terrified of this situation. I am also very angry! For the most part I am a healthy eater (whole grains, fish oil, fruits, veggies) and have always exercised regularly. Alcohol only on occasion, but....., cigarettes-cigarettes-and more-cigarettes accompany my days. I did quit 1 week ago cold turkey with no problem as of yet. My doc feels the cigarettes are to take the blame.

Anyway, I am most panicked over the procedure of this cardiac catheterization. I am told I cannot be "put out" totally during the procedure. Drugs to relax and hopefully send me into lah lah land so I don't know or care about what is going on - will be administered heavily I pray...!! I am a very nervous person and NOT a good patient. F*&k Damon up and everyone has an easier and better time!

Has anyone here experienced this procedure? And would you be so kind as to share any thoughts on the subject to help ease my mind and nerves? I feel like I am residing in living hell.

Thanks.

Damon
All you have been waiting for is your own permission.
--  Emmanuel (Pat Rodegast)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: Cardiac Blues
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:15:30 pm »
I have not had that specific procedure but a very closely related one where a two way ( in and out) catheter is inserted into the large vein that enters the heart..... only was " conscious" partly and could watch what was happening on the TV monitor...didn't feel a thing..was given several local shots plus a mild relaxer before procedure.... very fascinated ..sort of like watching Discovery channel.....except it is you on the monitor....very carefully removed the catheters when done and had to lie flat and still for two hours afterward......

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:24:14 pm »
Hello and welcome.
I cannot give you first hand experience. However................My partner has had this proceedure and is just fine.  No problems, very easy.  Its just good that it was caught in time.  He has a "stent" in a  99% blocked artery.
I think what you refer to as chest pain is called ANGINA.
You also dont tell us if you have been taking HIV meds and which ones , and you have not said anything about your bloodwork...cholesterol and triglycerides etc.
My partner sounds a lot like you...in that he was doing pretty healthy things like going to a gym and eating well and taking supplements. He had been a heavy smoker but had quit several years before this incident. His triglycerides were discovered to be over 2000 when this happened.
Now his triglycerides are in the 300 to 350 range and he is trying to eat a low carb diet.  
We dont know if its significant but.....his father died of a heart attack at age 48 and my partner had this blocked artery fixed at the age of 48. So he had some family "history".  That was over two years ago and he is doing great.
Angina:
Angina is a type of heart-related chest pain. This pain occurs because your heart is not getting enough blood and oxygen. Angina pain can be similar to the pain of a heart attack.

Angina is called stable angina when your chest pain begins at a predictable level of activity. (For example, when you walk up a steep hill.) However, if your chest pain happens unexpectedly after light activity or occurs at rest, this is called unstable angina . This is a more dangerous form of angina and you need to be seen in an emergency room right away.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 04:42:45 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline somdamon

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:10:43 pm »
Thanks for sharing Nick. Another friend of mine had a similar experience as yours. The "conscious" part scares me to no end. I prefer NOT to know what is going on. I believe the procedure is the same and sounds as if a stint was not necessary for you?

When I think about what is going to take place (through the vein in my groin up to my heart) - it totally freaks me out and I don't know how I am going to go through with it.

Hey Bear60 -

My doc says a stint is a possibility and this procedure will show how much blockage there is and if it warrants it. He also says it is a walk in the park and the cardiologist I am seeing has done thousands. This makes me feel somewhat better. It's the psychological thing that I struggle with - the thought of what will be happening and me being awake through it. I cannot even imagine or maybe that's the problem - I can imagine.

My triglycerides are mostly under control (similar to your partner's) and I take Lopid to help with this. My current counts are 198 T-cells and a 8,880 viral load. My cocktail consists of Norvir, Lexiva, Truvada. I have been on meds since 1989.

Thanks for the welcome.

Damon

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:53:40 pm »
Hello Damon,

I also can't give you any personal experience. A co-worker of mine had this exact same procedure done,
 ( and had a stint put in) About two weeks ago. ( she is a CNA,) She is also 63 years of age. She took one week off from work after this was done, and is now back to work and feeling much better.

They discovered this during a stress test, and ordered more testing. But once again, I am not familiar with this.  Just wishing you the best.
I hope you can eventually cut down and quit the smoking. As a former smoker, ( as much as two packs a day),  I know how difficult that is. But try to give it a go.

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline somdamon

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:03:21 pm »
Thanks Ray.

I also had a stress test done which is what lead me to this position. My doc says I have a partial blockage and the cardiac catheterization will determine how much.

Good news on the smoking though...today is Day 6 without cigarettes. This situation has all but scared the life out of me...(no pun intended) - so I feel sure I won't have any problem staying off the cigarettes. I have quit many times before and made it as a nonsmoker for almost 3 years once. It's interesting that the usual withdrawal symptoms I experience have barely made an appearance this time. Amazing what a little fear can do for a person.

I appreciate your comments.

Damon

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:34:30 am »
quote you...."It's interesting that the usual withdrawal symptoms I experience have barely made an appearance this time. "
I dont know how you do it but congratulations.  Both Kurt and I needed major help to get off cigarettes.....and our doctor was very helpful.  If you need help dont feel like you've failed.

Joel

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:33:39 pm »
Hi Damon

I also have cardiac problems, and have been on medication for Congestive Heart Failure since it was diagnosed in about 1998.

I have not had cardiac catheterization done, but know several folks who have.
It's not nearly as bad as it used to be in the 80's and 90's, when they had to "sandbag" your artery and you couldn't move for such a long time....they now have some type of plug device that makes recovery time a lot quicker.

Don't panic!  You will be fine.   I have had a zillion medical procedures done, but not this particular one.   I really don't think you will feel much while it is in progress.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline somdamon

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:01:52 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement Alan. I have been told the procedure is virtually painless, however, psychologically I am sinking. The whole idea of what will be taking place really freaks me out. If only I could be "put out" during the procedure. I have gotten the idea that I will be "semi-out" and I just pray I will not be aware of what is going on.

Sorry to hear about your congestive heart failure. My Mom has been living with the same issue for 10 years now as well. Life sure does throw curve balls on occasion doesn't it. Thanks again for the kind words.

Damon

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:11:07 pm »
Hey Damon,

Just want you to know I'm thinking about you.  I know it sounds difficult, but just try to relax.  Last year I had to have a needle biopsy done on a lump in one of my breasts, and I did quite a bit of deep breathing when the procedure was being done.  It really helps.  Good luck.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:49:30 pm »
Hey Damon,

Sending lots of positive, healing energy your way. Try to take it easy, or as easy as you can.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline somdamon

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:14:14 pm »
Hey Betty and Mark,

Thank you for the support. My procedure is this Monday and I have managed to reach a somewhat peaceful place - or maybe its just acceptance. My good friend Scott will be with me and he has great positive energy that I always respond favorably to. He is a psychologist and really has a way of putting me at ease. I am so very blessed and privileged to have him in my life.

Nervous....oh yeah. Betty, you made a wonderful suggestion in regard to breathing. I have recently used meditation with breathing consciously during uncomfortable tests/procedures and it really does help in calming my nerves. I will definitely use the technique come Monday.

The good news is I am now on my 11th day without a cigarette! I do feel really good about this accomplishment and took the plunge cold turkey. I have great optimism that everything is going to be fine.

Hugs to each of you for the words of wisdom and support.

Damon

Offline whiteboy500

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 05:42:16 pm »
I also experienced the same exact symptoms, however I just chalked it up to heartburn, although I should have known better. and In December of last year I had a heart attack, I'm 43.    I was also terrified, I almost walked out of the hospital because I was so scared.   But the procedure was simple.   In my case they did surgery right next to my groin.   Quite frankly I didn't feel a thing.    They shave your pubic hair and prep you for surgery.  then I was wheeled off to the surgery room.    I was completely awake during the whole procedure and a catheter was threaded thru my groin area to my heart.   I kept expecting to feel SOMETHING but never did.     The only side effect was I had a HUGE bruise and it was sore for awhile.    I am now on Plavix and another heart drug, and seem to be doing well.    I entered the hospital on the 20th and was out on the 24th.    After the surgery they have to remove something from the groin area and they press on it until it quits bleeding.    Hardly any pain.   On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give the pain factor a one.   So don't worry, everything will be fine, These days the procedure is like getting a wart removed or something.   Harmless.    Good luck and hope all goes well

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 07:24:32 pm »
Hay Damon,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Have you thought of using ear plugs or some kind of music?
Try to go for relaxation exercises before you have the  procedure done.

Like breathing classes or some yoga.

I had a tumor removed from my back  2 months ago and was conscious the whole time.
In my mind I was sitting in a meadow and had a beautiful view of a weat field with red flowers and a snow mountain top in the background....all visualisation techniques.Combined with very deep breathing during the procedure.

you will see.. it will all go well and be over before you know..

good luck

hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline somdamon

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 08:56:26 pm »
Hey Whiteboy500,

It really does sound as if your experience mirrors mine so far. I really appreciate you sharing it with me. Did they give you anything at all to calm you or a light sedation of any kind? Being conscious through the procedure is what scares me to no end. My doc did say I can take a ativan in the morning before I arrive at the out patient center.

Thanks for the support.

Damon

Offline somdamon

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 04:28:38 pm »
Ok. Tommorrow is the day...

Damn-this procedure scares the hell out me.

My friend Scott is arriving today, spending the night, and will take me to the hospital tommorrow morning. Thank god for him.

Didn't sleep well last night...hard to shut the mind off. Chest felt weird-perhaps due to the stress I am feeling.

Ugh.

Wish me luck...

Thanks for the support everyone...

Damon

Offline bear60

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 04:46:29 pm »
You'll be fine.
Do you take anything to calm you down?...and help you sleep.

Offline somdamon

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 04:56:23 pm »
You'll be fine.
Do you take anything to calm you down?...and help you sleep.

I try not to, but tonight I might. I have a few valiums - might take half of one before I sleep.

I know I will be fine. It's always worse in my head. I would be a lot better off if I could learn to relax.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Damon

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 06:28:15 pm »
Damon, I completely understand the nervousness.  And yes, it's made much worse by the committees that go on in our minds.  I stress about things sometimes and I find that the less power I give to them, the better.  Our minds can always manufacture more than what's there.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.
   Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline somdamon

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 07:12:13 pm »
Damon, I completely understand the nervousness.  And yes, it's made much worse by the committees that go on in our minds.  I stress about things sometimes and I find that the less power I give to them, the better.  Our minds can always manufacture more than what's there.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.
   Luv,
Betty

Thanks Betty, I will let everyone know how it went.

I appreciate you sharing with me.

Damon

Offline somdamon

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Well, I am back home from yesterday's heart catherization. Results were not as good as I had hoped. Apparently I have 2 arteries that are 95% blocked and 1 artery that is 70-80% blocked.

Apparently I have 2 options. I can have 3 stints put in or have a triple by pass surgery done.

I briefly spoke with my cardiologist yesterday about it. Too much for me to handle hearing at the time. I will speak with him further and decide tomorrow at my next appointment with him. My friend Nancy will be going with me to the appointment.

My sister is a cardiac nurse and her husband is a renowned heart surgeon in Richmond, Va. I plan on speaking with them today about my situation. Long story-but I haven't had much of a relationship with my sister for the past 18 years. We are cordial with each other but that's about it. Both my sister and her husband keep close tabs on my Mom who has congestive heart failure- so I am hoping they can offer me some good advice on what to do.

This whole situation is so surreal to me. I am so sad and so scared.

Damon

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 08:10:57 pm »
I am so sorry Damon.  I have no idea what I would do if faced with your decision.   My first impulse is to go with the stint procedure.....but I'm saying that off the top of my head with no research or data behind it.....

For bypass surgery, they still have to open your rib cage right?  Or can they do it now by microsurgery, going through 3 or 4 small holes?   That would factor hugely in my decision.   I have heard several people say that once their rib cage was split open, life was different for them (long healing time, pain, posture problems, etc).   So it will be interesting to know what your brother-in-law advises.

Best of luck to you my friend, and please do keep us informed.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 08:14:25 pm »
Hi Damon,  I'm so sorry about your results.  It's a lot to swallow.  

I think it's great that you're going to have a friend go with you to your appointment.  You might want to get a notebook and jot down any and all questions you have for the doctor and also leave space to write down what the doctor tells you.  It's good you'll be talking to your sis and brother-in-law as well.  

I know a couple people who have had triple-bypass surgery and they're doing alright.  I know it's not much condolence, but take it a little at a time.  Don't overwhelm yourself (sounds easier said than done I know).  Talk it out.  We're here for ya.
  Luv,
Betty

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 10:54:43 pm »
Damon,

Sounds like you've got some plans for action and are gathering your resources. Decisions are so hard. Keep us posted

-YaKa
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline somdamon

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 09:24:26 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have made the decision to have the bypass surgery. Still I feel as though I'm in a fog - can't believe this is happening. So weird how life can change so quickly.

Should be meeting with the heart surgeon today hopefully.

Everyone on this forum is so very supportive. I cannot express how much that means to me - but I will continue trying.

Damon

Offline bear60

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 10:06:15 am »
Good luck with the surgery!!  ;D ;D ;D  We will be waiting to hear more.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 02:22:17 pm »
Damon, I'm glad you made a decision.  Please let us know how everything's going.

Also, I just wanted to let you know what a handsome avatar you have. ;)

Offline aztecan

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 05:57:50 pm »
Damon,

Wow, there has been a lot for you to digest!!!

Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and much positive energy is coming from me to you.

(((((((BIG HUGS))))))

Mark

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 01:15:44 am »
good luck damon.

this sure was fast.  They're not fooling around, are they?

Here is some more positive energy from over on this side of the table. 

robert

Offline somdamon

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 12:08:19 pm »
Hi everyone,

Still waiting to meet with the heart surgeon. It will probably be next Tuesday at the earliest. I am confused. My sister's husband (a heart surgeon) stresses the urgency of my situation and my other doctors lead me to believe it is urgent and maybe not so urgent but serious.

I don't get it. I guess I will cease in rushing and stressing about the surgery and let the surgeon lead me at a pace they deem appropriate. My cardiologist contacted me yesterday and said he has spoken with the surgeon about my situation and they should be contacting me no later than Monday to schedule an appointment.

Meanwhile.....I will focus on staying relaxed and not exerting myself and of course on healing from the heart catheriazation which continues to leave me feeling soar.

Thank you Robert, Mark, Betty, Yaka, Alan, Bear60, Whiteboy500 and all who are keeping me in their prayers. I have spoken to quite a few people who have had triple bypass surgery or know people who have and everyone is doing great. I particularly like hearing how much greater my energy level will be after the surgery. Fatigue has been a big issue for me through the years and I am so looking forward to some relief in that area. I thought all this time my fatigue was solely caused by AIDS and the drug therapy - to think my clogged arteries played into the mix as well really shocks me!

Anyway, I will get through this and continue to prosper in my journey through life. I have many plans for the future yet to unfold!

((((((((({{{Group Hug}}}))))))))))

Damon

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 01:28:31 pm »
Damon, I like your attitude.  Please let us know how things go.

Offline somdamon

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2008, 04:21:01 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am scheduled for bypass surgery this Wednesday, July 2nd. I understand I will be in ICU for one day after and then in the hospital for 5 days. I will need someone to stay with me 24/7 for the 1st week home.

I have been shown a lot of support from my friends who are willing to lend a hand to help in anyway they can. I continue to feel so blessed.

Oh yeah....still I am unbelievably frightened - but know that I will be fine and this experience is already catapulting me towards a better life. I am on day 26 without a cigarette and feel great. I can't believe it took this tragedy (gift?) to propel me into quitting smoking once and for all.

That's ok. Once again, I am seeing life as a precious commodity that too many people take for granted. Let me say this...there is beauty, joy and love everywhere when we learn to see it. Happiness can't help but follow...Thank God I have this opportunity to live a greater life.

In health, wealth, and peace,

Damon

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2008, 09:01:22 pm »
Damon, I'll be thinking about you Wednesday.  Peace to you and good luck.  Oh, and please let us know how you're doing when you're able.
  Luv,
Betty

Offline bear60

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 11:04:56 am »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Check back in and let us know how you are doing.

Offline somdamon

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 11:09:39 am »
Hello Everyone!

Well, I am back home from the hospital and now focusing on recovery. For the most part the surgery went well although there apparently was some excessive bleeding which kept me in the ICU an extra day. At one point the surgeon thought he may have had to open me back up. Thank God, that did not happen!!!

Got home this past Thursday evening (7/10) and friends have been staying with me since. I was told not to be alone for the first 1-2 weeks after returning home. I have some restrictions (lifting, driving, vacuuming, etc.) but it is mainly for precaution should I lose balance and fall.

I will be having a physical therapist work with me 2-3 times a week and a nurse checking in on me as well.

All and all I feel everything went as well as could be expected. Virtually all the hospital nurses I had assigned to me were great people. I was so happy to be surrounded by such good energy. Now, of course the food was the WORST. I could not believe they kept giving me a "cheeseburger" option for lunch! I just had triple By-pass surgery and they are offering me a cheeseburger? What's wrong with this picture...

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone here supporting me and I am glad to have found this forum. I will continue to post in the future and look forward to further developing new friendships.

Hugs to all...  ;D

Damon

Offline bear60

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 11:32:00 am »
Well this is good news.  I'm glad you are recovering nicely.
But.....did you eat the cheeseburger or not....I guess not.  You chose the broiled chicken breast and steamed brocolli.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 11:32:10 am »
Way to go ! You've quit smoking, cleared an artery blockage, developed your friendship with Scott, have Hospice Care, ANd discovered there must be a healthy cheeseburger out there..and you were awake to remember it all....it wasn't a dream. ..boy, when you do something, you do it right,  ;D

speedy recovery
ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »
Hey Damon,

I'm so glad you're home and everything went alright (except for the extra bleeding).  About the cheeseburger........I would have been really tempted to order it-did you? 

Let us know how you're doing, m'kay?
  Luv,
Betty

Offline somdamon

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 07:31:17 pm »
Hey Everyone,

No, I did not choose the cheeseburger! I do love a great burger, however, I believe when I treat myself to one, it will be from a Longhorn Steakhouse or Outback Steakhouse and NOT a hospital. I was just really surprised they would allow me to have one at the hospital. Mmmmmh, maybe they are ensuring repeat business? HAH!

Damon

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 07:48:54 pm »
I was just really surprised they would allow me to have one at the hospital. Mmmmmh, maybe they are ensuring repeat business? HAH!

Damon

:) Job security !!  ;)

Hey Damon,

Glad to hear your back home, and are now recovering. Wishing you the best , keep us updated !

Take care of yourself-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 10:46:02 pm »
Damon, f.y.i., Gardenburger makes great vegi-burgers.  It might sound gross, but they're delightful, really.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 11:16:46 pm »
Gardenburger makes great vegi-burgers.  It might sound gross, but they're delightful, really.

Skip the Gargoyle burgers and make your own!  I fiddle with this recipe often to make meat-free burgers:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001567.html

Where it calls for 4 large eggs, I use 6 egg whites and an extra teaspoon of olive oil.  Also, in place of bread crumbs I like using ground toasted grains like quinoa, oats, or spelt.

Best,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 08:08:07 am »

Skip the Gargoyle burgers and make your own! 

I happen to like Gardenburgers and don't often care about "making" things like that.  But, whatever turns you on.

Offline somdamon

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 07:30:28 pm »
Damon, f.y.i., Gardenburger makes great vegi-burgers.  It might sound gross, but they're delightful, really.

I have tried various brands/styles of veggie burgers in the past with out much luck. It's been year's though, and I am open to experimenting with them again. I do intend to stick with healthier diet choices from here on out.

Damon

Offline somdamon

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 07:36:26 pm »

Skip the Gargoyle burgers and make your own!  I fiddle with this recipe often to make meat-free burgers:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001567.html

Where it calls for 4 large eggs, I use 6 egg whites and an extra teaspoon of olive oil.  Also, in place of bread crumbs I like using ground toasted grains like quinoa, oats, or spelt.

Best,
David

Hey David-

I do really enjoy cooking (and it's nice being able to control what one ingests). Thanks for the link and I may do some of own experimentation.

Damon

Offline aztecan

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 11:23:59 am »
I may try to make these myself.

The commercial ones all contain gluten, which is a no-no for me. I guess, like everything else, I will have to make them myself.

But I am going to have to do something. Like you Damon, I need to eat more heathlily. I have just about run out of options to chemically control my lipids so it may be up to me and my diet.

Good luck with the new diet and keep us posted on how it goes.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 01:52:30 pm »
But I am going to have to do something. Like you Damon, I need to eat more heathlily. I have just about run out of options to chemically control my lipids so it may be up to me and my diet.

Have you tried heavy turmeric use for moderating LDL?  After looking at my labs and having me pull old versions of my medical recap from the past three years, my doctor and I noted that my viral load was 0.5 to 1.0 log or more lower while I was supplementing with turmeric.  My fasting LDL and triglycerides were also better behaved.

I stopped the supp as I had been taking a capsule form and didn't find it "worth the cost."  At the "Asian Costco" a few blocks from home, though, I can get huge containers of ground turmeric or bulk whole root for a great price, and I will today or tomorrow!  It's great in eggs, on cauliflower, or brewed and taken with a spicy meal.  I'm sure it would punch up homemade veggie burgers quite well, too.

Best,
David

P.S.  I wonder if turmeric enemas would work to go right to the bloodstream and circumvent the taste buds....

P.P.S.  Got 500g of turmeric powder for $3.99.  Sprinkled 1/4 tsp (1g +) inside a soft taco and didn't notice.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:57:04 pm by redhotmuslbear »
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline midwayman

• Buddha's Pillow
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 07:50:10 pm »
Thanks, David:

These supplement tips are very helpful. I also happen to like tumeric.

I recently discovered that eating pineapple, due to Bromelain, is an effective
anti-irritant to the digestive and urinary tracts. I have had to cope with
after-effects of radiation burns for a cancer I had 5 yrs ago. The MDs were
next to useless with these simple problems which have great day-to-day
impact on lives.

My MD, like many, who is a wonderful HIV oncologist, poo-poos every piece
of info I bring him on supplements. However, I have been able to manage
my HIV-med-related gout without taking prescriptions for it because I take
daily supplements which work.

Keep up the info-sharing.

Paul   ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.