Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:33:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 297
Total: 297

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: General Hospital's HIV Storyline  (Read 11166 times)

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
General Hospital's HIV Storyline
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:58:56 pm »
So I've watched General Hospital for 23 yrs since I was 6 years old. They have had an HIV storyline with one of the main characters Robin Scorpio since the mid 1990's. She contracted it from her street thug boyfriend named Stone when she was a teenager. Stone passed away in a very touching scene. Robin has gone on to get treatment, become UD, get married, have a child, and all-in-all live a normal life.
http://youtu.be/AUxIiHczzYk

Recently the actress announced her intent to leave the rumored to be cancelled sudser. The writers have chosen to kill off her character who has literally grown up from a toddler on the show to a grown woman. Her exit storyline is that her HIV strain suddenly changed and she became resistant to her old medication. She has now gone on to try 3 new protocols without success. Fearing the worst she has chosen to leave town and asked her best friend to step in and care for her husband and baby in her place.
http://youtu.be/Eh3TxIsbAR0

I guess my question is how realistic is it that suddenly a patient would become resistant and see all treatment options fail? Are the writers just being lazy and killing her off unrealistically? Perhaps an HIV related illness would have been a better explanation other than just a rapidly dropping cd4 count and out of control VL. What are your opinions?
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: General Hospital's HIV Storyline
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:18:42 pm »
Well, you gotta give abc-TV kudo's for awareness of teh AIDS @ least   ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:49:14 pm »
I guess it could be realistic if she were only 50% adherent and blew through all combos available to us. Otherwise I dont think she would just become spontaneously resistant, maybe Newt or some other well heeled member could clear that up for us.

But at least GH has actually tried too halfway get it right in regards to HIv. I've seen so many TV shows get it wrong and it gets irritating.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:41:56 pm »

Suddenly is the KEY word !

It would take a while to go threw all the meds .

I agree thou !

Bravo to General Hospital to even go there and KEEP it running so long !

If you are adherent to your meds life will be a normal life span , I have heard

this very often , I do believe it .

Carl  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline surf18

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »
i remember when that story line came out. i was like oh how terrible for her. But this will never happen to me............ Well years later ........ ugh

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:05:57 am »
It sounds like this storyline will cause many to think this is what inevitably happens to every poz person.  I don't believe Hollywood should sugarcoat things, but it would seem the more realistic storyline would deal with health issues longterm survivors have to deal with and not treatment failure where the character is leaving town to go off and die?? 

I don't watch the show.  Perhaps I'll tune in to see how they handle this storyline, before it goes off the air.  Katie Couric is suppose to get her own network show on ABC this Fall that is believed to be the replacement for GH.

Edited for spelling

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:16:51 am »
I hope they give the three new combos enough time to try and work.  If she's jumping from combo to combo, that's very unrealistic.  It would seem to be easier to have her get resistant, have her numbers plummet, get an OI and have a great death bed scene.  But it's TV so you can never expect them to show the reality of treatment.

Joe

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:34 am »
I thought that's how it worked before I was infected.  I thought that it was a death sentence and you just worked your way through the meds until you had no options left and then you died.  I imagine most people are completely clueless about the disease progression and treatment options for HIV.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:36:39 am »
Holy crap folks ---

This is a SOAP OPERA!  Reality and soaps don't exist in the same time-space continuum. 
How can you expect anything to mirror the real world here when folks routinely return from the dead -- every person in town gets amnesia at least twice in their life.  Everyone has an evil twin and marries just about everyone else in town.
If you want TV to educate -- watch the Smithsonian channel -- otherwise take network television for what it is -- an adverstising platform that MAY, just MAY offer up a little decent entertainment.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:57:15 am »
Why can't she just "suddenly" step out in front of a bus? Why does she have to die of hiv related causes? Many of us don't, after all.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:14:44 am »
Why can't she just "suddenly" step out in front of a bus? Why does she have to die of hiv related causes? Many of us don't, after all.

I've tried to step out in front of a bus many times, but the bus would always stop, here in New Mexico, I can't even get thrown under a bus  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:31 am »
They should have her having an affair and not disclosing her status and just send her off to prison for life. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:35:26 am »
Soaps are a dying breed.  Talk shows and reality TV are the rage now as you know. 

I use to watch one years ago.  That Young and the Restless (aka Hung and the Breastless) and can still remember when Phillip Chancellor died in that auto accident back in the late 70s.  Old lady Chancellor was hitting the booze and and smoking those cigarettes like there was no tomorrow.  Snapper was a hottie!! 

Sorry... digressed a bit.  An HIV storyline depicted in most dramas typically has ended badly. 

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:27 am »

This is exactly what I thought. Why she has to die precisely from teh aids when a piano might fall over you on the street any moment? (obviously I'm putting this as an over the top example lol) or die from another unrelated disease?

Ah well, at least they got it right regarding aids. Kudos to them, If I have the chance of viewing that show online or something, I'll do (I'll check if my cable company have that channel).
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:10 am »
But you all are forgetting that awareness of teh AIDS on tv, radio, ads or anywhere else is what's really important here "awareness of teh AIDS"  gives us hope for the future  ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 11:52:08 am »
But you all are forgetting that awareness of teh AIDS on tv, radio, ads or anywhere else is what's really important here "awareness of teh AIDS"  gives us hope for the future  ;)

I'm much rather that the "awareness of teh aids" is based in fact. When it's not, it usually only furthers the stigma and discrimination we face.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »
Holy crap folks ---

This is a SOAP OPERA!  Reality and soaps don't exist in the same time-space continuum. 
How can you expect anything to mirror the real world here when folks routinely return from the dead -- every person in town gets amnesia at least twice in their life.  Everyone has an evil twin and marries just about everyone else in town.
If you want TV to educate -- watch the Smithsonian channel -- otherwise take network television for what it is -- an adverstising platform that MAY, just MAY offer up a little decent entertainment.

Mike

Mike, you have to acknowledge that there are people out there who think all those things do happen in real life, and they don't have the money for Smithsonian or some other higher-grade channel and they're going to believe what's shown to them. I think what most of us are saying is it'd just be nice if the writers at GH would make their storyline a little more realistic when it comes to something everyone here on this site knows about...and I'm not talking about denb45's evil twin sister.

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 01:08:55 pm »
I'm much rather that the "awareness of teh aids" is based in fact. When it's not, it usually only furthers the stigma and discrimination we face.

Well paint my toe-nails and call me Denise  ;D thanks for the auto-correct miss Ann  ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:30:09 pm »
Well paint my toe-nails and call me Denise  ;D thanks for the auto-correct miss Ann  ;)

You're most welcome, Denise. But can I give you a pass on the toe-nail painting? I don't do my own, let alone others.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bocker3

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:32 pm »
Mike, you have to acknowledge that there are people out there who think all those things do happen in real life, and they don't have the money for Smithsonian or some other higher-grade channel and they're going to believe what's shown to them. I think what most of us are saying is it'd just be nice if the writers at GH would make their storyline a little more realistic when it comes to something everyone here on this site knows about...and I'm not talking about denb45's evil twin sister.

Yeah, but where is the concern or outrage over all the other untrue, unrealistic and over-the-top storylines.  Anyone who actually thinks soap operas should educate hasn't watched many.  I used to watch a few back in my younger days -- there is nothing that resembles reality.  If this was a different sort of show, I'd readily agree -- but a soap??  and GH to boot (I used to watch this high school, I've seen the insanity -- freezing the city, etc) -- it is hard for me to really care about their storyline. 

I get that it might hit close to home, but many other storylines probably hit close to home for someone else -- amnesia, other ailments -- I didn't get upset over those, so I see no reason to do so here.

edited to add:  You are right -- some folks will believe this story.  I'm not sure that a more realistic portrayal would do much for them - it's the sensationalistic pieces that stick in their minds.  These are the folks that keep the National Enquirer in business.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:18:24 pm by bocker3 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:01 am »
So I've watched General Hospital for 23 yrs since I was 6 years old.

no comment
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 07:16:45 am »
no comment

What an interesting debate about fantasy versus reality depicted in any form of media only to end with this... Are you more bothered that I spent my summers plastered to the tube watching People stranded on islands or finding out they had children they don't remember giving birth to, or are you hating on my age :)

Oh and Ann I agree with you. My point is we have seen a beautifully depicted storyline over 20 yrs that showed a woman's growth in dealing with this disease and living a normal life. To just end it easily by having her crash and burn as a result of HIV sounds unrealistic in today's day and age of medicine. I mean soap's have killed people with yes poison pancakes in the past POISON PANCAKES surely they could find a different way.

Oh for the record I no longer watch GH on a regular basis. I now get my soapy goodness fix from watching across the pond's Eastenders... now that is a soap worth watching!!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:19:30 am by numbersguy82 »
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 07:42:03 am »

Oh for the record I no longer watch GH on a regular basis. I now get my soapy goodness fix from watching across the pond's Eastenders... now that is a soap worth watching!!!

Eastenders? Good lord, that program makes me want to slit my wrists. I watch Emmerdale and Corrie, at least they serve up giggles with the doom and gloom.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »
Eastenders? Good lord, that program makes me want to slit my wrists. I watch Emmerdale and Corrie, at least they serve up giggles with the doom and gloom.

Hmmmm I haven't seen those.... I will have to look them up. Eastenders just has awesome pacing and I love(d) Peg. I'm not opposed to the doom and gloom as long as it makes sense. GH makes no sense at times it's almost unwatchable.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »
Why can't she just "suddenly" step out in front of a bus? Why does she have to die of hiv related causes?

Actually thats an excellent point. "Spot On" as you redcoats say.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 01:39:32 am »
Numbersgurl, shame on you boo.  Soaps are hedious.  I watched like three episodes of "One Life To Live" many years ago and was appalled by the cheesy settings, silly plots, and crappy acting (it's like almost intentionally bad).  I guess I just don't have the patience or time to watch something that never ends.

Nothing like a good ol' telenovela (especially the Brazilian ones) if you like that kind of drama.  They last only three or four months however.  Nowadays many of them offer English closed captioning for those who only speak American.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 02:00:41 am »

Nothing like a good ol' telenovela (especially the Brazilian ones) if you like that kind of drama. 

Oh yes, especially the one with Caua Reymond in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl28nUyBJDM

... but that was years ago, now he does actual movies, and looks even hotter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyRmL11VRys

that last clip makes me reach for a bottle of poppers
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:05:48 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 02:23:28 am »
Well, you guys have obviously not had a taste of Indian soap operas.

They're really something else!! I don't even know where to begin describing what they're like. LOL

For anyone with a curious eye here's a free preview. Language barriers won't ruin the effect, I promise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dIH2sSims

PS- Don't say I didn't warn you!  ;D
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 02:24:13 am »
Oh yes, especially the one with Caua Reymond in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl28nUyBJDM

... but that was years ago, now he does actual movies, and looks even hotter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyRmL11VRys

that last clip makes me reach for a bottle of poppers

A favorite of mine was "Xica Da Silva".  I loved the shameless sexuality, even for the gay characters.  If this was available on DVD I might actually buy it.

Xica da Silva
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 04:14:23 am »
If they go with this unlikely reason for death, hopefully they will pile on more turds.  Get some cheesy rapper or pop star to do a maudlin farewell to the the AIDS martyr song, all the cast shedding tears over her brave fight against the killer virus and what an innocent victim she was, after all the years of good living, of some immoral criminal thug guy in her naive youth. etc etc etc
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 07:19:09 am »
Hmmmm I haven't seen those.... I will have to look them up. Eastenders just has awesome pacing and I love(d) Peg. I'm not opposed to the doom and gloom as long as it makes sense. GH makes no sense at times it's almost unwatchable.

Barbara Windsor (who played Peg) is a national treasure over here. Have you ever seen her in a Carry On film? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrey1g-Qogg

Numbersgurl, shame on you boo.  Soaps are hedious.

British soaps are quite watchable. Most of them are on in the evenings. They're really nothing like the American afternoon soaps. I never followed the American soaps, but I've watched enough of them to know what they're like.

Anyone remember Dark Shadows? Now that was a soap!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 07:39:43 am »
The only soap I ever loved was Passions ... and that was because it was so over the top and mostly a spoof on other soaps . There was Precious, the obsessive orangutan nurse who loved gin . Precious was the nurse because they were poor and an orangutan nurse was all they could afford . That was some good daytime TV .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 03:27:18 pm »
The only soap I ever loved was Passions ... and that was because it was so over the top and mostly a spoof on other soaps . There was Precious, the obsessive orangutan nurse who loved gin . Precious was the nurse because they were poor and an orangutan nurse was all they could afford . That was some good daytime TV .

One name says it all "Timmy the living doll"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 04:16:58 pm »
Maybe they'll bring Richard Simmons back to save her.  Didn't he play a nurse years ago?  Or, maybe she kills herself when she has to deal with him. 

Or, perhaps she becomes possessed by the devil like Marlana on Days.  Or, it was all a big dream and she's in the shower with Bobby Ewing.  It's a soap, so they find a cure using some substance they find in a magical cave or from special t-cells from her evil twin, but the twin resists and wants control of the hospital. 

Knots Landing had an actor with AIDS who died in real life.  Obviously, they didn't write that into the show.   I remember being very sad--seeing him deteriorate on the show until he could no longer do it.  But, that was real life and not scripted, so I digress.  That was circa 1991.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 04:54:36 pm »

Knots Landing had an actor with AIDS who died in real life.  Obviously, they didn't write that into the show.   I remember being very sad--seeing him deteriorate on the show until he could no longer do it.  But, that was real life and not scripted, so I digress.  That was circa 1991.

Yeah, I remember him.  It didn't get as much press as Rock Hudson and his evident case of teh AIDS in the mid-eighties season of Dynasty.

Most mainstream shows deal with HIV/AIDS in fairly lame and ignorant ways.  I can't think of one single show that had a good strong character living with the virus.  Then again, it still happens in the movies as well.  Many a gay film deals with tragic queens (or someone who dies horribly) never a decent role model who actually LIVES with HIV.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 06:30:34 pm »
Anyone remember Dark Shadows? Now that was a soap!

They are making a Dark Shadows movie -- Johnny Depp is playing Barnabus Collins.  could be interesting -- or a disaster............

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 01:23:25 am »
  Many a gay film deals with tragic queens (or someone who dies horribly) never a decent role model who actually LIVES with HIV.

Well not a role model I'm sure, but the later seasons of Queer As Folk (US Version) had this guy called Ben (very hot  ;)) who's Michael's boyfriend and he seemed to be a normal guy living  with HIV and not decaying or wasting away. I didn't see all of the episodes after this Ben character made an entrance though, so I may be mistaken.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lChiiTlnRGg
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 01:35:33 am »
Barbara Windsor (who played Peg) is a national treasure over here. Have you ever seen her in a Carry On film? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrey1g-Qogg

Ann, have you seen "Carry on Camping?" She left quite an impression.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0J9FdN8oqA

Offline denb45

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 10:13:39 am »
They are making a Dark Shadows movie -- Johnny Depp is playing Barnabus Collins.  could be interesting -- or a disaster............

YES  :D  I use to run home from school just to watch "Dark Shadows"  they did a re-make for TV back in 1990 for NBC-TV it was a mini-series, but it was a disater, and got very poor ratings.....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.