Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:46:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 331
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Well, it evetually was going to come to this.  (Read 3036 times)

Offline nvgreene

• Sweet!
    • Myspace profile
Well, it evetually was going to come to this.
« on: July 21, 2006, 10:28:17 am »
I read this in the news today, it slightly disheartens me, since many have fought so hard for the idea of gay marriage. This couple were one of the first to get legally marries in MA, and now they are splitting. With the law on the rocks again, I hope that the lawmakers will look and see that they are still worried about family values and their child

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/07/21/after_2_years_same_sex_marriage_icons_split_up/

All the best,
J
07/08/05

Offline carousel

Re: Well, it evetually was going to come to this.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 10:45:45 am »

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:22:32 am by carousel »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:12:34 pm »
Equal rights for all means that gays and lesbians are equally entitled to break up just like SO-CALLED NORMAL STRAIGHT PEOPLE do. Of course I expect for a long time more attention will be focused on non-straight marriage breakups instead the ho-hum for straights, (except for celebrity splits which inspire a media feeding frenzy).

Just to put things into a more optimistic perspective, the fact that gay marriage is actually being dealt with openly and championed by so many who are not gay is amazing progress. I grew up in a time when the word "homosexual" was more or less whispered in the same tones used for "cancer."

So to have the whole subject in the news being discussed is huge progress. Equal rights is like pregnancy. You either got it or you ain't. I just see us on a continuum towards more and better. All those tightass naysayers and opponents are troublesome, dangerous sometimes and ultimately pathetic and pitiful. Self-righteousness is a miserable state to live in.

As discouraging as it can be at times to cope with and to fight injustice I do deeply believe and have seen evidence that right and rights will ultimately win out, you should excuse the expression.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:35:23 pm »
Message from Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey:

July 18, 2006

Dear Mr. Terry:

Thank you for contacting me about recent efforts to deny lesbian and gay couples equal rights. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Please know that I would not support denying any minority, race, gender or group of people equal protection under the law. While I believe that marriage between a man and a woman is a sacred bond, I believe that same-sex partners who commit themselves to lifelong relationships also have a sacred bond between two people in love. Furthermore, they should be entitled to the same legal and societal benefits of marriage.

That's why I joined my colleagues in a letter to Governor Schwarzenegger asking him to sign the Marriage Equality Act, A.B. 349, which recently passed the California legislature. As you know, this bill would return the definition of marriage in the State of California to be a union of two people, regardless of gender, as it existed from 1850-1977.

As you know, Rep. Dan Lungren introduced H. J. Res. 39, which would declare that marriage in the United States should consist only of the union of a man and a woman. This language writes discrimination into the Constitution for the first time in history. I will never support discriminating against any group of people based on their sexual preference. That's why I voted against similar legislation last Congress when it came to the House floor on September 30, 2004. You may be pleased to know that this bill failed by a vote of 227 - 186. Be assured I would oppose H. J. Res. 39 should it come before the House for a vote this Congress.

Again, it is good to hear from you. The people of Marin and Sonoma counties are the most important voices I listen to as I serve in Congress.

Although I have never wanted to get married, (Straight or gay) I still feel everyone should have equal rights no matter what.

Terry

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.