Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2024, 01:19:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772928
  • Total Topics: 66309
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advertising models for HIV meds  (Read 22095 times)

Offline xman

Advertising models for HIV meds
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:41:33 pm »
I'm curious to know if the models used in the advertisings of HIV drugs are positive folks. Everytime I come across this and other websites nice and smiling guys and girls popup on the screen promoting the latest HAART addition. No sign of lipo and happiness like winning the lottery. Just wondering.

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Advertising models for HIV meds
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:58:04 pm »

I think they are worried wells who just got their negative tests results.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 04:14:37 pm »
*sigh*... not everyone with HIV or on meds has lipo

I have a friend who has done modeling for Isentress and he's been HIV+ for over a decade.  Next.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:30:27 pm »
Next.

LOL...

Like any form of advertisement there is a chance that the people in the ads are "just models."  Though I imagine that --given all the stigma that still surrounds HIV-- not many models would be too thrilled to pose for this "product."

Now, your comment about them not displaying "lipo" precisely perpetuates the aforementioned stigma that HIVers have to face.  Would the product be more convincing to you if the person in the add looked completely emaciated and miserable?  Should they be crying in the ads or bed-ridden? 

Would you (or anyone) be interested in even trying a medication with an ad that doesn't give some sense of hope and control over the condition? Now, that would be bad advertisement.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:30:35 pm »
Awhile back in the job postings, I had seen an ad for models for an Atripla add and one of the criteria is that you had to be on it.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:06 am »
The president of the HIVpatients association in my country is HIVnegative.
It has to do with stigma.
50 % of people in a recent poll said they would prefer
having a murderer as their neighbor next-door to  living next-door to an HIVpositive person...

Why do they need at advertise those med's anyway when
you can read ''this medication does not cure HIV''  ???
it's a confrontation of optimism (beautiful people in these ad's) and pessimism (''this medication does not cure  the HIV infection''.  ???
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:58:39 am by elf »

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:57:34 am »
The models are just 'serving suggestions'

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »
I read somewhere years ago that most of these ad companies were criticized for using non-positive healthy good looking models to sell the drug cocktails. Looks like they are still doing that despite the expose.

It does give a false sense that one can look great if they were on that advertised drug. But I believe many are smart enough to know the reality, given they would have had friends who are on medications to wise them up or have their own doctors, if responsible, tell them the facts. Failing which, there is always googling online to find out more from support groups and/or forums, like AIDSmed or The Body..etc.

Seriously, in this digital age of having so much info, no one can have the real excuse of not knowing, if one is truly seriously focussed on finding out about one's health. The truth is out there; one just need the need to learn. ;)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 05:16:54 pm »
Looks like they are still doing that despite the expose.

How so?  Snowangel and I both stated, however anecdotal, comments to the contrary in this thread.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 05:30:47 pm »
It does give a false sense that one can look great if they were on that advertised drug. But I believe many are smart enough to know the reality, given they would have had friends who are on medications to wise them up or have their own doctors, if responsible, tell them the facts. Failing which, there is always googling online to find out more from support groups and/or forums, like AIDSmed or The Body..etc.

So are you saying you can't look great if you on the advertised drugs?  I don't doubt that there are side effects to many if not all of the drugs but the reality is that not everybody suffers from them.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 05:51:07 pm »
How so?  Snowangel and I both stated, however anecdotal, comments to the contrary in this thread.

I agree. It stemmed from an article I read. Perhaps you may know if it's lawlly illegal now to use non-positive models for HIV meds advert. Any documented updates? I'm curious too. Thanks. ;)

"The marketing of antiretrovirals is being challenged by president of the San Francisco board of supervisors, Tom Ammiano, and city attorney Dennis Herrara. They have written to several pharmaceutical companies marketing antiretrovirals to protest their use of misleading advertisements and to threaten legal action  against the companies.

The letter dated 14 May 2002 charges GlaxoSmithKline, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Agouron Pharmaceuticals with continued unethical and illegal advertising practices over the objections of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). According to the letter, the companies continue to use images and phrases that “suggest that, with your drugs, HIV and AIDS can be easily managed and that using these drugs will enable a person to live a long, strong and healthy life”. It is claimed the ads potentially breach the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act as well as California’s consumer protection statutes.
Source: http://www.afa.org.sg/act/27/10.htm

So are you saying you can't look great if you on the advertised drugs?  I don't doubt that there are side effects to many if not all of the drugs but the reality is that not everybody suffers from them.

Again, fully agree. There are always exceptions to every instance. Those that I know on meds show they are on meds from their significant weight loss, bad skin conditions and lipo.
Those who can afford a Nip here & Tuck there obviously can look great.  ;) But yes, there are also those very blessed ones who still look amazing on meds; like Magic Johnson? Hmm, come to think of it, he looks amazingly extra weight challenged at MJ's recent TV memorial.  :o ;D

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 06:12:57 pm »

I like the black one for the Atripla adds, she kind of has dreads starting too.  I think she's hot...  With my wife's permission I would model with her anytime. :) ;) ;)

Offline fearless

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:14:35 pm »
Again, fully agree. There are always exceptions to every instance. Those that I know on meds show they are on meds from their significant weight loss, bad skin conditions and lipo.
Those who can afford a Nip here & Tuck there obviously can look great.  ;) But yes, there are also those very blessed ones who still look amazing on meds; like Magic Johnson? Hmm, come to think of it, he looks amazingly extra weight challenged at MJ's recent TV memorial.  :o ;D

What an absolute load of rubbish, and frankly, quiet offensive. Talk about stigmatising ourselves. You are suggesting that those who look good on meds are the exception. You simply wouldn't know most people are a) HIV +ve and b) on meds by simply looking at them. I look no different now than I did before (well, maybe an extra wrinkle or two), and I'm know that I'm not some exception to the rule.

As for advertisers using attractive people in advertising for HIV meds. Really, people should get over their own stigma. Why can't HIV +ve people be attractive.

And, for christs sakes, what advertising for any product deliberately uses ugly, or fat or sick looking people in their ads? They are trying to sell you a product, not turn you off it.

As Phily said very early on. NEXT

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:36:29 pm by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 09:37:45 pm »
What an absolute load of rubbish, and frankly, quiet offensive. Talk about stigmatising ourselves. You are suggesting that those who look good on meds are the exception. You simply wouldn't know most people are a) HIV +ve and b) on meds by simply looking at them. I look no different now than I did before (well, maybe an extra wrinkle or two), and I'm know that I'm not some exception to the rule.

As for advertisers using attractive people in advertising for HIV meds. Really, people should get over their own stigma. Why can't HIV +ve people be attractive.

And, for christs sakes, what advertising for any product deliberately uses ugly, or fat or sick looking people in their ads? They are trying to sell you a product, not turn you off it.

I am totally WITH you on this.  I have 3 friends on meds who NO ONE in the world would guess that they happen to be taking HIV meds.  One is a muscle buff who has been taking them since '99; another one is a happy-go-lucky chubby fella (no offense to anyone with a little padding), and the other one looks the same as he did before HIV and meds.  And let us not dismiss what Miss P. and Snowangel said.

To be honest, this thread bothers me.  What a fatalistic load of cack some people have presented here.

M.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 09:46:15 pm »
I hate to say it but, ugly people on meds can't always blame the meds or HIV.   

And who knows, there may be some that the meds have improved!   
It's a complex world

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 10:19:48 pm »
I kinda think the add have improved in very recent years to show pretty everyday looking people, certainly attractive, but not those tacky muscle marys from the late 1990s. 
THere are tons of people on HAART who dont "look" like it.  Get real.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Merlin

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 05:34:07 am »
What an absolute load of rubbish, and frankly, quiet offensive.
[/quote]

To be honest, this thread bothers me.  What a fatalistic load of cack some people have presented here.

M.

I do apologize sincerely if my comments unintentionally offended anyone and I stand corrected; as I did mention my comments came from those that I have had seen and been around with; but given your much wider circles and years of being on meds, I fully understand and see your points.

However, from the uncalled for hostilities in your responses, I believe it brings out other nasties not stated on the meds label. Feel free to demonstrate otherwise. ::)

NEXT...;) 

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline carousel

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 07:27:44 am »
I don't think that I look that much different than how I did before my diagnosis, apart from a few more 'laughter' lines, more grey hair and a couple or six extra pounds.

But I do think you have a point about the models in these adverts.  I mean they are not selling washing powder, but drugs to help a chronic condition.  

I don't necessarily think they should people ravaged by the disease, but at the very least, SOME acknowledgment of what goes on.  Maybe there are some shiny happy people, who can take HIV in their stride.  But I'd be hard pressed to think of anybody I've ever met, who fits that bill.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 10:18:06 am »
If you think there is deception in HIV advertising you should investigate diet and exercise equipment and supplement ads. It's ridiculous.

I have no problem with the models in HIV ads. I would be more concerned about what the ads promise.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 09:18:29 pm »

However, from the uncalled for hostilities in your responses, I believe it brings out other nasties not stated on the meds label. Feel free to demonstrate otherwise. ::)

NEXT...;) 

Heh heh  ;D, now that was clever. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 07:50:03 am »
If you think there is deception in HIV advertising you should investigate diet and exercise equipment and supplement ads. It's ridiculous.

That is so true.  I see those people advertising diet pills, or the like, and they all have 6-pack abs.  Like if you take that pill, or powder, or use this or that piece of equipment, you'll look like they do.  I'm sure it makes the manufacturers millions, but I'm sure it also leaves a lot of people distraught.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline weasel

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 09:49:10 am »
I have had HIV  for more than  20  years !

Been on meds   5  years now !

I look what I refer to as regular  :)

I have a Mirror image TWIN  ,that is NOT HIV  :) :)

So I know what I should look like at 55 years of age , well not for  9 more days LOL ,

My TWIN   does NOT  look as healthy as I do !

I get out and do something  almost everyday !

I know  quite a few people that no one would ever guess were hiv .

My profile picture was taken  July 11 , My wedding day !   

I know guys that post OLD pictures ,NOT because of HIV  deterioration ,

BUT they think they look old !  I'm vain but please , GOD knows I want to get old !

We all do ! 

As for the  pill ads.   .   I like to LOOK at pretty people !  I would not buy something from an

ill  looking  person ,no one would  ::)

I think they are models  ...........................

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 09:53:30 am »
Carl, based on your photo I can see you in an HIV ad.

That is so true.  I see those people advertising diet pills, or the like, and they all have 6-pack abs.  Like if you take that pill, or powder, or use this or that piece of equipment, you'll look like they do.  I'm sure it makes the manufacturers millions, but I'm sure it also leaves a lot of people distraught.

The movie Bigger, Stronger, Faster effectively addressed this issue. This is a before/after photo of the guy who made the movie. Both photos were taken hours apart. The "results" are done simply with posing, lighting, tanning and grooming- it wasn't even digitally altered.

Here is a clip from the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j0nmJ0_cvc&feature=PlayList&p=D3625E2098C6F4E4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

I'll stop my hijack now.  :)

Offline weasel

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 02:47:31 pm »
Thanks GymRat ,
                        You made me blush  :)

I do believe movement and activity is  a fountain of youth .

Also  I love to  float in the dough boy   and  BAKE .  Tan is sexy  :o

And NEVER  let anyone take a bad picture .............     LOL

Be well , Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline dixieman

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 02:58:48 pm »
I don't think the drug companies want to show someone who just Crapped on themselves... have a hump on their back, or show the Visceral belly or even the no fat look and the wonderful veins protruding from underneath their skin... stating
 "oh without doubt there maybe side effects honey but, its ok...I needed a change from what I used to be"
Theres very little truth in advertising... in anything... unfortunately few if any have a choice either you take your meds and pray your not going to get major side effects or you just do your best as you can... We do not know what these drugs will do to us in the LONG HAUL... their TOXIC but, we have no choice... its either live, try to take the best care of yourself and do the best you can... or don't take the meds and have the VIRUS ravage your body and take you out! its your choice...

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 02:30:13 am »
I am on ATRIPLA and I look great!  ;D The Marlboro cowboys look great and they advertise cigarretes which cause cancer and do no good at all. At least HIV meds do good to our health and in my case I have no side effects, so for me their advertisements are the plain truth of what these meds do and I would proudly appear on an advertisemen for ATRIPLA or any other HIV med.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 03:25:49 am »
I am on ATRIPLA and I look great!  ;D The Marlboro cowboys look great and they advertise cigarretes which cause cancer and do no good at all. At least HIV meds do good to our health and in my case I have no side effects, so for me their advertisements are the plain truth of what these meds do and I would proudly appear on an advertisemen for ATRIPLA or any other HIV med.

I don't think  the Malboro man actually smoked, but he did ride horses!

Offline David_CA

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 08:53:30 am »
I don't think  the Malboro man actually smoked, but he did ride horses!

Actually, from what I've read, he did smoke.  He also died of lung cancer. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 11:20:31 am »
I don't think  the Malboro man actually smoked,

Yeah, a couple of them did.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marlboro.asp
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Cliff

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 12:37:24 pm »
Can't say I ever thought folks modeling for HIV meds were exceptionally hot.  They just look like everyday, normal folks.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 01:56:11 pm »
Yeah, a couple of them did.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marlboro.asp

Yep you are right, but it was not a couple it was three.  We can't say for sure if the lung cancer was caused by cigarettes.  I want proof riding horses is not the cause of their untimely death.

Offline Trace67

• Live, Love, Laugh!
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 03:13:48 pm »
Yeap---Im on Atripla. Ive been poz for sixteen years. People look at me and say you cant be poz because you dont look like it. I ask them, "So what does HIV Poz look like"? Very scary thought-thats why I think many are becoming infected because they think they can be HIV and not look like they have it. I am lucky---I am one of the exceptions.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2009, 05:49:25 pm »
I am an agent for the HIV med commercial division.  Please send nude photos to me and I will consider your chances at being in an ad for antivirals.  Please make sure your genitals and backside are highlighted.  Women need not apply.

;D

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2009, 06:16:50 pm »
The OP's question is a valid one: are the people in the ads for HIV meds poz themselves?

Yes they all look good or at least decent (no lipo, etc) and the merits of that can be debated as a separate issue but:  are the advertisers required by law that a person who appears in an ad for an HIV medication be HIV+ themselves? Or can they just hire anyone they want, regardless of the model's HIV status?

Does anyone know?

There was a recent casting call for a Truvada ad and they were asking for people who are HIV+ but that doesn't necessarily mean they all hire people who have HIV.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 06:21:12 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2009, 10:11:22 pm »
Valid?  Maybe if he'd eliminated the next to the last sentence.  Including that however lead to epic fail.  Context is, as always, important.

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:03 pm »
As a side issue - who are these ads for anyway?? Is it just Public Relations to get good will? Is it really for doctors? 

I mean, I didn't get to pick my combo - the specialists recommended the best ones to me each time, based on me, the tests, etc. etc.  (I am on my third.)

Why are they advertising?

It even seems to have a downside. Atripla is hardly the be all and the end all and this "just one pill a day" may be giving both HIV+ and HIV- a wrong impression about HAART treatment.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 12:01:03 am »
As a side issue - who are these ads for anyway?? Is it just Public Relations to get good will? Is it really for doctors? 

I mean, I didn't get to pick my combo - the specialists recommended the best ones to me each time, based on me, the tests, etc. etc.  (I am on my third.)

Why are they advertising?

It even seems to have a downside. Atripla is hardly the be all and the end all and this "just one pill a day" may be giving both HIV+ and HIV- a wrong impression about HAART treatment.

I have to agree with you 100%, especially on the part about target audience. 

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 01:10:00 am »
Valid?  Maybe if he'd eliminated the next to the last sentence.  Including that however lead to epic fail.  Context is, as always, important.

I hear ya. . .

very good point, it's funny actually when you think about it (funny "ha ha")....I guess the ad revenue supports alot of gay publications, including aidsmeds but what's the point of the ads? I mean, not only does one not really go by the ads when choosing, but they have a captive audience of individuals who would likely die without the meds, it's not like anyone needs to be seduced into taking them.......I guess some people do but.....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:14:27 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 05:44:40 am »
Meech... always a bit of a "conspiracy theorist" here... but I think the ads intentionally trivialize HIV.  (Remember what we've learned about the history of the tobacco industry?)  The nice looking models with happy faces, strong bodies, with loving friends, on just one pill a day (coincidence that this sounds like "one-a-day" vitamin?)... all serve to subconsciously deliver a message that HIV is "no big deal."
I use that phrase because a gay man I disclosed to responded using that exact phrase.  I was somewhat taken back... but think about it.  These ads appear in all gay rags.  If you pick a couple up at the bars each week, where there are three ads in each, your looking at six ads a week.  That's over 300 ads/year.  After a while, a subliminal message takes hold.  That's how advertising works.

Here's a great example.  Here in CA, Carl's Jr. is running an ad featuring a very revealing shoot with "Miss Bikini CA."  In the ad, she in taking a huge bite out of what looks like a double-decker bacon cheese burger with the works!   (A source in the industry told me usually the models "don't swallow."   LOL... they spit it out after the camera stops.)
Now... part of the message is to get men to watch... but what's the underlying message?  Don't worry about your health or weight... go ahead... yield to desire and have that big sloppy burger.  It didn't seem to hurt Miss Bikini.

That hotty in the baths won't do U if U insist on a condom?... take a chance... these days HIV is no big deal.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:49:33 am by MitchMiller »

Offline mecch

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 08:46:36 am »
Hmm Mitch, dark theory that give me a chill, because it does seem logical from a business standpoint.  Ick.

If I were an ad man, I'd pitch to the companies this add:  a photo of HIV (looks all messy and real and fuzzy, electron micro photo etc) and then overlap a very high tech silvery image of the chemical structure of the HIV med.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 09:33:16 am »
I used to work in the advertising industry and, based on my experience, these ads sell the product's benefits.  In this case the benefit is the possibility of being in as optimal health as you can be with the HIV virus under control/undetectable. If you, the reader, decide to eat Carl's Jr's every day, not take care of your health, etc, well that is something else.  These ads are realistic in my opinion since there are many people that look this healthy that are HIV+ (not everyone, I know). Personally, I think that fast food ads that show celebs like Paris Hilton are much more misleading.

The people that make these ads are people just like us.  They may not necessarily be HIV+ but oftentimes do creative tests among their target audiences (HIV+ people) to make sure they are crafting the best ad and not wasting their money on an ad that doesn't connect with their audience.  I seriously doubt that these "Mad Men" would design an ad to numb people to the reality of being HIV+ although that might happen unintentionally.

Plus, who hasn't noticed the fine print, which is 1.5 pages long and includes a million warnings about side effects?  Hell, in my case I see the images but the warnings are what really capture my attention.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:39:45 am by GNYC09 »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 09:06:26 pm »
I'm mulling over the posts about who the target audience is, and I confess I don't know. If it's for us pozzies, then why? Are we supposed to read these ads and then go to our doctors and tell them this is what we want? Like Viagra? or Crestor? or like our doctors never consider any options and expect us to tell them what we need? I understand we all need to be proactive in our healthcare, but honestly, I've never understood the need for the ads. But I do appreciate that they are funding POZ magazine and this website.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 10:23:38 pm »
I agree with Basquo....  I see no need for ANY pharma advertising to the general public.  However, here's the crux -- these ads must be working (i.e. increasing market share) or they would have pulled them by now.

As an aside -- while it wasn't from the ads -- I absolutely did go to my doctor and tell him which drugs I wanted to go on.  They were not his first choice for me, but the horror stories I heard about Kaletra and my, completely irrational fear of AZT, nixed the Kaletra/Combivir combo he wanted to put me on.  I asked him why I could not or should not go on Sustiva/Truvada (pre-Atripla days) and he said that there weren't any, given my genotype results (which, unfortunately were later found to be incorrectly interpreted by the lab -- so I am now also on Reyataz/norvir).

People always whine about ads, whether for junk food, drugs, or just about anything -- but the ads work or they'd be pulled (so someone is seeing the ads, and saying -- I gotta have me some of that....)

Mike

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 10:51:33 pm »

Sounds like "HIV Lite" to me.....

Good points Mitch and Basquo, who the hell is the target audience?   It can't be us that's for sure. 

Offline Cliff

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 04:42:26 am »
I think the target audience is us.  I assume it's meant to provoke us to think about our treatment and to discuss with our doctors....which may lead us to switch treatment or start with a certain combination (perhaps the latest and greatest). 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2009, 07:34:41 am »

The reyataz ad on the top of the page, is the one that pisses me off.  So, Having HIV is like playing a game of pool.   Hmmm,  I lost, I already sunk the cue ball.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2009, 07:52:53 am »
I think the target audience is us.  I assume it's meant to provoke us to think about our treatment and to discuss with our doctors....which may lead us to switch treatment or start with a certain combination (perhaps the latest and greatest). 

Well I know the one with the African American woman in it is directed towards me in a subliminal manner.  She really needs to understand that I am already taken.

Ray,

Thanks for bringing up the Reyataz add.  It's in my bottom left corner and when I went to play it (missed also) it blocked my access to come back into the off topic forums for a full 2 seconds!  Stuff like this is unacceptable, my time is money!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2009, 08:06:59 am »

Ray,

Thanks for bringing up the Reyataz add.  It's in my bottom left corner and when I went to play it (missed also) it blocked my access to come back into the off topic forums for a full 2 seconds!  Stuff like this is unacceptable, my time is money!

If I accidently roll over and click that ad,  I have to close the browser and reopen it, to get rid of it. Very annoying...

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2009, 10:03:00 am »
Of course HIV ads are targeted at us. If you don't know about HIV treatment except doing what your doctor says and you are on 3 HIV medications and then you see an ad for Atripla that says take one pill you may go ask your doctor about it. Also if your doctor recommends Reyataz and then you think "Hmm, I've heard of that" and what you vaguely remember is some attractive person you feel better about taking it because it is familiar and the association is positive.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2009, 01:07:11 pm »
The OP's question is a valid one: are the people in the ads for HIV meds poz themselves?

Yes they all look good or at least decent (no lipo, etc) and the merits of that can be debated as a separate issue but:  are the advertisers required by law that a person who appears in an ad for an HIV medication be HIV+ themselves? Or can they just hire anyone they want, regardless of the model's HIV status?

Does anyone know?

There was a recent casting call for a Truvada ad and they were asking for people who are HIV+ but that doesn't necessarily mean they all hire people who have HIV.

I just picked up the Jan/Feb '09 issue of POZ Magazine and the very first ad I came across was for Lexiva with a nice looking model sitting in a chair. In the fine print it states "Model used for illustrative purposes only" which in my mind translates to "model is not HIV+"
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.