Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:08:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 636
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 35-year-old undetectable  (Read 10865 times)

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
35-year-old undetectable
« on: March 05, 2010, 11:52:09 am »
Heya,all...

My name's Darren. I'm 35-years-old (5'10" and 185lbs.) and live in Rome, Georgia but I am originally from Indiana. Been poz for about 5 years and I am on Atripla and I am undetectable for almost a year (works for me, luckily). I was first diagnosed when I lived in Atlanta. I'm new around here.

I'm still attempting to sift through all of the disinformation, rhetoric and propaganda to get to the truth about HIV/AIDS, not just the "politically-correct" assumptions and beliefs. When I was first diagnosed, I believed all the information I was spoon-fed about it. After awhile I starting discovering I had questions which were considered taboo or that I was considered a trouble-maker for asking. I honestly do not understand why there are certain answers I am not allowed to have about my own health or why it is so difficult to find someone who can supply them.
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: 35-year-old undetectable
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:21:10 pm »
Hi Darren

Thanks for telling us a little more about yourself

... and a belated welcome to the Forums.

Assurbanipal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:29:36 pm »
Hey Darren, welcome to the forums. ;D

Glad to hear the Atripla has been working so well for you. ;D Staying undetectable is the key, you know ;)

I sure hope you can find the "truth" to HIV that you're looking for. There are plenty of people here who have been on many meds, had many illnesses, and have been HIV poz or had AIDS a long time, so I would imagine that whatever answers you're still looking for could be found around here. ;)

I've already seen the truth of HIV/AIDS when, untreated, it killed a partner in 1994, and another partner in 2008, and nearly killed me twice in 97 and 99. If took me 12 yrs to reach undetectable, and I just recently started my 15th HIV med. To me, HIV is just another disease - but it's the one that I've got and have had to deal with for nearly 20 yrs. ;)

best wishes!
mikie aka leatherman aka the ComputerTutor
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Etay1207

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:50:34 pm »
Hey Blackwingbear, you hit it right on the nose.  The HIV/AIDS theory is much like religion.  Don't dare question it, even if somethings don't make sense.  Asking a medical professional thought provoking questions about HIV is like asking a preacher why God doesn't heal amputees.  It's just something you don't do and people like us who have legitimate questions are seen as denialists and sinners. I have millions of questions, but am afraid to ask because of the way I've been threated so far on these forumns. 
POZ since 1999
1/07 tcells: 530 vl: 72,922 7/07 tcells: 542 vl: 26,577
9/08 tcells: 339 vl: 56,120  7/09 tcells: 267 vl: 663,160
11/09 tcells: 71 vl: 498,670 2/10 tcells: 52 vl: 322,000
 no meds and feeling great!

Offline next2u

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:58:50 pm »
hi blackwing,

welcome and thanks for posting about yourself. ask your questions...test the waters...and see if you get what you need. denialists are one thing but if you are on meds then your head understands they work. i am curious to know what you're thinking about. there is a wealth of knowledge here and you may get more than you expect. when the time is right post.

also, enjoy your weekend!

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 03:02:47 pm »
Hey Blackwingbear, you hit it right on the nose.  The HIV/AIDS theory is much like religion.  Don't dare question it, even if somethings don't make sense.  Asking a medical professional thought provoking questions about HIV is like asking a preacher why God doesn't heal amputees.  It's just something you don't do and people like us who have legitimate questions are seen as denialists and sinners. I have millions of questions, but am afraid to ask because of the way I've been threated so far on these forumns.  

If you have legitimate questions, no matter how controversial, ask away and we will do the best to answer them. I realize that you have received some heated reactions, to some of your posts, but I suggest that you are part of the problem for that reception. When you refer to HIV/AIDS theory as being akin to religion, you are insulting an entire branch of science/medicine, regarding a real disease, that if left untreated, will surely kill you. There is no theory that HIV exists, we know it exists and what is left is research and discussion on how best to treat and cure it.

If you want to be heard, on a level playing field, you might want to save the histrionics and ask a question. For you to come into an HIV forum, populated by folks who have lost hundreds to "HIV/AIDS theory" and proclaim us to be a cult, because we somehow have diminished your voice is insulting, plain and simple. No one has prevented you from asking the questions you have, so start your own thread and ask your questions already.

edited to add: Sorry to the OP for the hijack
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:08:39 pm by killfoile »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 03:14:09 pm »
Hello Darren,

I would be interested to hear what questions you have about HIV. These forums have always supported the honest and open discussion, of virtually any topic, with very few exceptions. If you have a question, then please ask it and we can go from there. I have been poz for 26 years and I know the reality of HIV, as do our members. I can accept the fact that some things, may appear contradictory and how civilized discussion can help to further our understanding. I invite you to simply ask your questions, don't assume anything and let's see where it takes us.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:43:48 pm »
Hi welcome, and curiousity gets the best of us - please spill - what are the politically incorrect questions?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 02:09:30 am »
I haven't read your previous posts/threads, so I don't know much about you...maybe I need to figure out how to look up people's posts.

If you're on meds, you obviously think HIV is real?  So, I guess you are talking about asking questions about treatment where people have many different opinions?  I know I've asked questions of some docs about treatment and have gotten shut down with them saying, "Why don't you just start treatment?"  That is aggravating.  Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?  Again, I guess I need to learn how to go back and read previous posts to see where you're coming from.

As long as someone isn't pushing a denialist theory, then we should welcome all questions.  I think most do on here.  I say that because I had this one guy sending me personal messages how I needed to be on meds.  Why wasn't I on meds yet?  Are you on meds yet?  He wouldn't tolerate any other opinion about when to start meds.  I believe he was coming from a caring place, but shooting me down when I answered him about why I'm not on meds got to be annoying.

So, I'd like to hear more from you.  Are these the kinds of things you're talking about? 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 12:09:35 pm »
I haven't read your previous posts/threads, so I don't know much about you...maybe I need to figure out how to look up people's posts.

As an example, you click on the user name of any post: click on "tednlou2" and you arrive here.  Using your mouse's scroll wheel go to the bottom of the page and click on "Show the last posts of this person"
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 12:16:44 pm »
Welcome Darren .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 01:50:17 pm »
If you have legitimate questions, no matter how controversial, ask away and we will do the best to answer them. I realize that you have received some heated reactions, to some of your posts, but I suggest that you are part of the problem for that reception. When you refer to HIV/AIDS theory as being akin to religion, you are insulting an entire branch of science/medicine, regarding a real disease, that if left untreated, will surely kill you. There is no theory that HIV exists, we know it exists and what is left is research and discussion on how best to treat and cure it.

If you want to be heard, on a level playing field, you might want to save the histrionics and ask a question. For you to come into an HIV forum, populated by folks who have lost hundreds to "HIV/AIDS theory" and proclaim us to be a cult, because we somehow have diminished your voice is insulting, plain and simple. No one has prevented you from asking the questions you have, so start your own thread and ask your questions already.

edited to add: Sorry to the OP for the hijack

Please retract your claws. This was merely my introduction, as advised to do.
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 01:53:49 pm »
As an example, you click on the user name of any post: click on "tednlou2" and you arrive here.  Using your mouse's scroll wheel go to the bottom of the page and click on "Show the last posts of this person"

Who are Ted & Lou? Ah. I see now - to previous poster...

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 01:56:15 pm »
Hi Darren

Thanks for telling us a little more about yourself

... and a belated welcome to the Forums.

Assurbanipal

Thanks!!

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »
Hey Darren, welcome to the forums. ;D

Glad to hear the Atripla has been working so well for you. ;D Staying undetectable is the key, you know ;)

I sure hope you can find the "truth" to HIV that you're looking for. There are plenty of people here who have been on many meds, had many illnesses, and have been HIV poz or had AIDS a long time, so I would imagine that whatever answers you're still looking for could be found around here. ;)

I've already seen the truth of HIV/AIDS when, untreated, it killed a partner in 1994, and another partner in 2008, and nearly killed me twice in 97 and 99. If took me 12 yrs to reach undetectable, and I just recently started my 15th HIV med. To me, HIV is just another disease - but it's the one that I've got and have had to deal with for nearly 20 yrs. ;)

best wishes!
mikie aka leatherman aka the ComputerTutor

Thank you!!!

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »
Hey Blackwingbear, you hit it right on the nose.  The HIV/AIDS theory is much like religion.  Don't dare question it, even if somethings don't make sense.  Asking a medical professional thought provoking questions about HIV is like asking a preacher why God doesn't heal amputees.  It's just something you don't do and people like us who have legitimate questions are seen as denialists and sinners. I have millions of questions, but am afraid to ask because of the way I've been threatened so far on these forums. 

Well, you are welcome to email-pvt them to me, I'm curious if we have the same questions.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 02:02:47 pm »
Please retract your claws. This was merely my introduction, as advised to do.

Joe wasn't replying to you in that post, Darren, he was responding to Etay's post - the one he quoted. Joe replied to you in his next post.

I'm also interested in hearing what your questions are. Ask away!

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 02:09:48 pm »
I am taking (and have taken) Bactrim for an extended period of time. I do not feel (considering health and and medical reasons ) that there is really a need to continue taking antibiotics unnecessarily. Bactrim (and many other antibiotics) do mitochondrial damage to the cells. Taking an excess of antioxidants often has the exact same effect as antibiotics (depending on area of body and specialty). Would I not be able to reduce damage at a cellular level by stopping this dependence on antibiotics and instead maintaining a high-level of antioxidants in my system?

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 02:10:49 pm »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 02:13:08 pm »
I am taking (and have taken) Bactrim for an extended period of time. I do not feel (considering health and and medical reasons ) that there is really a need to continue taking antibiotics unnecessarily. Bactrim (and many other antibiotics) do mitochondrial damage to the cells. Taking an excess of antioxidants often has the exact same effect as antibiotics (depending on area of body and specialty). Would I not be able to reduce damage at a cellular level by stopping this dependence on antibiotics and instead maintaining a high-level of antioxidants in my system?

What is your CD4 count?

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 02:21:48 pm »
What is your CD4 count?

"274 working on 300" to quote my doctor.

my viral-load was under 50  (undetectable) at last count.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 02:26:06 pm »
I was on Bactrim for 5 years until I could keep my CD4 above 200 for three consecutive labs and then it was discontinued.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 02:29:49 pm »
I was on Bactrim for 5 years until I could keep my CD4 above 200 for three consecutive labs and then it was discontinued.

So, it is possible that it should have been discontinued in my case?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 02:44:51 pm »
Well were you CD4's very low for a while?  They prescribe Bactrim as a prophylaxis for PCP you're taking it as a preventative to not get sick.  If your immune system can fight off the PCP without the Bactrim that's when they take you off of it.  There are also alternatives to Bactrim: Mepron and Dapsone.  Mepron is inordinately expensive but the manufacturer can assist you with it.

With that said.  I was on Mepron and Azithromycin but once I began feeling better I discontinued both.  I do not advise anyone else to do so but considering my history of not having any issues with an extremely low CD4 count and feeling much better (meaning my HAART was working) I discontinued using both about a month ago when I wasn't able to get the azithromycin filled.  I also may be over the CD4 count necessary for my body to handle this (albeit not 3 tests worth) but I won't know that result until next friday.

I'm about to be a hypocrite, but honestly these people went through med school and know a few things that you and I do not, despite our diligent research into our very specific disease.  If your doctor tells you to do something you should probably listen.

Edit: Also BWB, you are replying to everyone's posts one at a time and it's driving me insane.  You can respond to everyone much more easily than that and in one post.  When you try to quote or reply to a thread any recent posts are under your post and you can either copy paste or quote from each of them in turn.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:46:54 pm by Hellraiser »

Offline mecch

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 02:50:29 pm »

That's a really byzantine question.  Did you ask a doctor?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 02:54:06 pm »
Oh and in response to will anti-oxidants take the place of PCP prophylaxis in Antibiotic form the answer is no.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »
So, it is possible that it should have been discontinued in my case?
Depends what the two labs were previous to the 274 result.  If they were both less than 200 then it would be advisable to wait a bit.  If they were above then your doctor should have discontinued it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 03:39:35 pm »
I'm about to be a hypocrite, but honestly these people went through med school and know a few things that you and I do not, despite our diligent research into our very specific disease.  If your doctor tells you to do something you should probably listen.

Edit: Also BWB, you are replying to everyone's posts one at a time and it's driving me insane.  You can respond to everyone much more easily than that and in one post.  When you try to quote or reply to a thread any recent posts are under your post and you can either copy paste or quote from each of them in turn.

I attempt to try to learn that which I do not know. That being said, I don't put anyone or any advice on a pedestal... if it doesn't make sense to me or they are unwilling to explain I WILL question it. I don't "just-go-along-with" ANYTHING if I can help it.

If several people are raising different points, dealing with them all in one statement doesn't work for me. Sorry.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 03:40:32 pm »
That's a really byzantine question.  Did you ask a doctor?

Yes, and received a blank gawking stare in response.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »
Oh and in response to will anti-oxidants take the place of PCP prophylaxis in Antibiotic form the answer is no.

HUH? That wasn't my question...

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 04:24:55 pm »
Echoing others, Dr. Gallant says:

Bactrim is taken to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia, which you're at risk for if your CD4 count is under 200. If your CD4 count rises to above 200 and remains there for 3-6 months as a result of antiretroviral therapy, then you can stop taking Bactrim.

and

If you've had three CD4 counts above 200 over a 3-6 month period, it's OK to stop Bactrim, especially if your viral load is undetectable.

LINK:

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/opportunistic_infections/fungal_infections__including_thrush__pcp_and_cryptococc/re__bactrim_continuation.html?contentInstanceId=384279

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/opportunistic_infections/fungal_infections__including_thrush__pcp_and_cryptococc/bactrim.html?contentInstanceId=384297

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:48:44 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2010, 05:50:04 pm »
Yes, and received a blank gawking stare in response.

Maybe it's time to look for a new doctor. Your question about bactrim is a pretty basic one and he should have been able to address it quickly and succinctly. It's not only ok to question your doctor, it's essential in order to have a good working partnership. Yes, partnership. You both are working towards keeping you healthy, so it's a partnership. Any doctor who doesn't treat the doctor/patient relationship as a partnership isn't worth bothering with.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
Welcome, Blackwing!
I would also suggest shit-canning a doctor that gives you a blank stare in response to a reasonable question. I've been to several docs lately, GI. Id, surgeons etc., and haven't stuck with the same one except for my ID doc. If your not getting answers, or care, I would suggest moving on.  It was hard for me to do at first, but I dont regret it at all. Maybe get a personal reference, not a referral, from a doc not involved in your issue or someone in the business who isnt bound by policies and procedures to refer you to another blank staring doc.  Some of my worst specialists were referred to me by my family doctor.
Good luck, and again welcome-
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline edfu

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 11:22:30 pm »
Would I not be able to reduce damage at a cellular level by stopping this dependence on antibiotics and instead maintaining a high-level of antioxidants in my system?

Maintaining a high level of antioxidants in your system instead of taking an antibiotic--in this case, Bactrim--might reduce hypothetical damage at a cellular level, but the antioxidants will not prevent PCP from occurring, which is the reason for taking the Bactrim.  PCP causes exponentially greater damage than taking an antibiotic. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline mecch

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 11:46:42 pm »
If you want more info on supplements + HAART (holistic + science) see california doctors such as Jon Kaiser.
Its not mainstream HIV medicine and you might want to switch doctors if your doctor doesn't want to support your interest, here.

Its got nothing to do with taking antibiotics to prevent infections when you have low Tcells.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 12:59:59 am »
Hi Darren, welcome to these boards.  :)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 11:44:31 am »
Darren

I hated Bactrim.  I always felt mildly itchy -- and felt like a vampire avoiding the sun and only coming out when the sun was low. I counted the days down from my first tcell count over 200 until I could take my labs and get off of it.

Course, I hated the little nose thing that tethered me to an oxygen  tank for weeks after I got out of the hospital from PCP even more.

So, if it is a choice between Bactrim and a serious risk of PCP ...

That said, most people go off Bactrim after tcells go over 200 for a while.  Some people may still need Bactrim though -- but that is usually people who got PCP when their tcells were high.

I agree with the comments that a good doctor is really important.  Does your doctor practice full time in HIV and infectious disease?  How many patients does (s)he see per month?  Even though it may feel a bit awkward to ask these questions, remember the doc works for you, not the other way around.

Best
A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 07:49:55 pm »
Maybe it's time to look for a new doctor. Your question about bactrim is a pretty basic one and he should have been able to address it quickly and succinctly. It's not only ok to question your doctor, it's essential in order to have a good working partnership. Yes, partnership. You both are working towards keeping you healthy, so it's a partnership. Any doctor who doesn't treat the doctor/patient relationship as a partnership isn't worth bothering with.

Ann

GOOD point, unfortunately with a lack of insurance it isn't feasible.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »
Welcome, Blackwing!
I would also suggest shit-canning a doctor that gives you a blank stare in response to a reasonable question. I've been to several docs lately, GI. Id, surgeons etc., and haven't stuck with the same one except for my ID doc. If your not getting answers, or care, I would suggest moving on.  It was hard for me to do at first, but I dont regret it at all. Maybe get a personal reference, not a referral, from a doc not involved in your issue or someone in the business who isnt bound by policies and procedures to refer you to another blank staring doc.  Some of my worst specialists were referred to me by my family doctor.
Good luck, and again welcome-

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately with a lack of insurance that isn't possible.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »
Maintaining a high level of antioxidants in your system instead of taking an antibiotic--in this case, Bactrim--might reduce hypothetical damage at a cellular level, but the antioxidants will not prevent PCP from occurring, which is the reason for taking the Bactrim.  PCP causes exponentially greater damage than taking an antibiotic. 

Given that my levels are outside of what is feasible for PCPneumonia to attack, would it be a concern currently? I don't know, but risking damage to every cell seems a bit much.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 07:55:03 pm »
If you want more info on supplements + HAART (holistic + science) see california doctors such as Jon Kaiser.
Its not mainstream HIV medicine and you might want to switch doctors if your doctor doesn't want to support your interest, here.

Its got nothing to do with taking antibiotics to prevent infections when you have low Tcells.

Interesting! Thank you for that!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.