Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:53:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 322
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do U Take Your Meds In The Morning or Night?  (Read 11459 times)

Offline TheRoof

Do U Take Your Meds In The Morning or Night?
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:09:27 pm »
Personally my doctor said when I am on Meds eventually. (Which I'll be talking in two weeks) whether to take meds in the morning or night. She said "Whatever works comfortable for you"

I have heard that if you take meds in the morning you can have fatigue during the day, and if you take it in the night time you might have more occurences of vivid dreams.

Personally from all the people here, when do you usually take your meds at night or in the morning.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Do U Take Your Meds In The Morning or Night?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:20:48 pm »
it depends on what meds you're taking. ;)
I take my videx ec first this in the morning as it has to be taken 2hr before or after food, and I don't eat breakfast. At dinnertime, I take viread, reyataz, and norvir; because I need to take the norvir with lots of food so it doesn't make me puke.

you'll defintely need to post what meds you're considering taking to get a good answer.  ;) Although your vivid dreams comment tends to make me think you'll be on atripla or sustiva, so you may find some answers in the "atripla with breakfast" thread
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:27:31 pm »

Personally from all the people here, when do you usually take your meds at night or in the morning.

I would hope one would realize that most regimens aren't the once-a-day starter kit offered to the newly diagnosed.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:20:48 am »
Personally my doctor said when I am on Meds eventually. (Which I'll be talking in two weeks)

Hi,

Have you already discussed with your doctor the meds that you'll be taking.  What are they?

Myself,  I take one Viramune and Epzicom at 8:00 am and the other Viramune at 8:00PM

Good luck----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline donna2008

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:24:21 am »
I take my combination before bed, I dont have any side effects but if I did this would be useful because I would combat them sleeping. And as long as you take them before bed it doesnt have to be exactly on time(that what mr. doctor said) and besides it has become like a night ritual for me.  ;D  ;D ;D
Viral Load <20 undetectable / tcells 710

Offline gonzo

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 04:58:55 am »
I take mine at night mainly because they give me way too much gas for me to feel comfortable taking them during the day while I'm surrounded by people at work.
I've been on the  Truvada, Reyataz & Norvir Combo for over a year now, and while I'm a little dissapointed in my lab numbers, considering my history(20yrs HIV+, 2 bouts of PCP, bad adherence to prior combo)I can't really complain too much.

Nov'08: CD4:255-11% VL:2900
Feb'09: CD4-287-09% VL-<48
May'09: CD4-285-17% VL-<48
Aug'09: CD4-470-19% VL-<48

diagnosed in 1990, current Meds: Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:51:54 am »
The main answer is whether or not the med itself has any restrictions; ie: with/ without food or water,  nothing in the belly 4hrs before or after (DdI had this restriction - not sure it's still prescribed), and how often (every 4hrs, 6hrs, twice a day, once a day).

Mim takes her Epzicom and Kaletra with her breakfast.  She takes her fiber and fishoil pill about 3pm with a full glass of water and a snack. Then, she takes her last Kaletra just before she goes to bed.

Much easier regiment than when her meds were scheduled 'round the clock.
Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline ruralguy

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:02:27 am »
I'm on Atripla. I started taking it at night and, after I got used to it, I moved it to the morning.  My morning rouine is more stable than when I got to bed.  I take it 30-60 minutes before breakfast and I don't notice anything at all.  I also sleep better now than when I was taking it before bed.
tested positive June 19, 2009
7/3/09 vrl 9000 cd4 - 300
8/14/09 cd4 - 350, 20%
started Atripla 9/14/09
10/5/09 vrl undetectable, WOW so fast!
12/28/09 vrl undetectable, CD4 - 615  27% cholesterol down, kidney function normal
4/26/10 vrl undetectable, CD4-600, kidney and liver numbers normal
9/9/10 vrl undetectable, CD4-685
1/3/11 vrl undetectable, CD4-700
all 2011 and Jan 2012 visits vrl undetectable CD4 ranged from 715-645
5/7/2012  vrl undetectable, CD4-615, all liver, kidney, lipids, heart functions, etc normal

On Atripla:  "Your mileage may vary"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 10:16:36 am »
My bf is on Sustiva and Truvada. he takes the Sustiva at night before bed and the Truvada when he gets up in the morning. He does it that way because he found taking the Sustiva and Truvada both before bed made him groggy in the morning. He has to drive first thing in the morning, so he experimented with dosing times and found this method to work for him.

Most meds you can take pretty much what time of day you like, as long as you stick to those times you choose. Sustiva is one exception and is usually taken at night, to avoid being awake and trying to function if you have the CNS side effects associated with it, but some people do take it in the morning.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:58:46 pm »
Like others said, you may have drug restrictions... for example Atripla. 

Otherwise, put it in your day where it is most stable.  For me that was in the morning.  i wake up at the same time each day and it's easier for me to remember to take my meds first thing.

I also was worried about side effects.  I'd rather be awake if I'm going to have to RUN to the bathroom. 

There is nothing worse than when the signal says fart and the action is for something more juicy.  It doesn't matter how many times you yell CUT the body won't listen!

lol.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline notoutinilm

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:45 pm »
This is not an easy one for me.  While I have only been on Atripla for 2 weeks, the side effects 'for me' seem to be worse 12 hours later and that makes work difficult.  I am not sure if that has to do with me eating during the day.... so many things to try and figure out.

It seems Atripla effects people in different ways while many of the other drugs are more predictable...  Changing times is certainly something I will consider if the side effects do not improve soon.  It certainly is easier to change the time of taking the pill than trying to isolate some of the other interactions that may be the cause of adverse side effects ....

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 05:58:56 am »
Definitely at bedtime. But like other posters have said, I think it depends what you are taking.

I did try taking my atripla in early afternoon, experienced a heavy stoned feeling a few hours later, and was better able to sleep ... but for a few hours I was totally incapacitated. So I switched the suggested bedtime dose and have been fine with that.
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 03:45:20 am »
I take mine with my first meal whenever that is. my schedule changes every week but I will usually eat my first meal with in the same say 4 hour window. Been doing this for 3 years and always undetectable so there must be high enough levels at all times in my system it doesn't matter if I take them 4 hours latter the next day than the day before. I take Reyataz, Truvada and Norvir.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline WildcatCC

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 10:01:19 am »
I take Atripla (currently) at night before bed. I try to be very careful to "comply" with the no food - 2 hour rule. Sometimes that is impossible but the side-effects are limited. Great dreams. A real doosey last night involving my ex-wife's parent's house and 3 undecorated Christmas trees.  :)
Apr  08 - Diagnosed
Apr  08  cd4 8, vl 150k
Meds: Prezista/Norvir/Truvada
June 08 cd4 250, vl 1600
Aug  08 cd4 275, vl 450
Meds: Atripla
Nov  08  cd4  386, vl 255
Jan   09  cd4  415, vl 2100 (spike?)
Feb   09  cd4 460, vl 212
May   09  cd4 515, vl 1200
Aug   09  cd4 717, vl 1535 % 23
Sept  09  cd4 535  vl 1710 % 18
Oct   09  genotype shows mutation. Discussing w/ ID Doc
Nov  09   cd4 480  vl 650   % 19
Dec  09 genotype slight mutation to Epivir and Retrovir
Jan 10   cd4 508 vl 250 (21%)  low vitamin d - on supplement 2000 iu/day
Mar 15 Change to Isentress and Truvada
May 5 cd4 498 vl 1485
June 16 cd4 550 vl undect!!!! (finally dammit)

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 08:21:10 pm »
I take my Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada with a meal or some snack including fat, or even a glass of whole milk (doctors orders) at 6 PM every night. Well, I try to make it at 6 PM every night, thats when my watch is set to go off, but I have been know to err due to waiting for dinner to finish, etc.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline notoutinilm

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 08:35:16 pm »
There are mixed messages.  The Atripla.com website clearly states to take it on an empty stomach.  Is the only difference side effects or is there a delivery / matabalize with food issue as well?  I am on day/night 24 and it has been hit or miss with food right before or none for hours.  Not enough data yet to determine side effects or if I should switch.  The side effects are starting to thin for me, but still toss and turn at night.  My dreams were always vivid, but then I invented ADHD as a child.

Offline scotjr

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 12:30:08 pm »
My bf is on Sustiva and Truvada. he takes the Sustiva at night before bed and the Truvada when he gets up in the morning. He does it that way because he found taking the Sustiva and Truvada both before bed made him groggy in the morning. He has to drive first thing in the morning, so he experimented with dosing times and found this method to work for him.

Most meds you can take pretty much what time of day you like, as long as you stick to those times you choose. Sustiva is one exception and is usually taken at night, to avoid being awake and trying to function if you have the CNS side effects associated with it, but some people do take it in the morning.

Ann

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice above, Ann

I've just been diagnosed last week and going onto meds straight away onto Truvada and Sustiva.  Info on this site is superb and giving me encouragement at a time when I'm still confused and shocked at the result. Going to discuss your suggestion on timing with my doc on Monday, as I'm in the same situation where I drive to work and concerned at danger if I take at the wrong time.  Any suggestions from people whether I should consider some time off work when I first go onto Truvada and Sustiva, or is this unlikely to be needed?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »
The first time or two I took Atripla (Sustiva+Truvada) the dizziness when I woke up was unbearable.  If I were you I would definitely take the Sustiva component right before bed and you may want to begin on a weekend where you won't have to be at work the next day.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 12:46:04 pm »

Scot, the side effects from the regimine you are on are not totally unbearable, some actually handle them quite well.  In the best case scenario if you do experience side effects they have been compared to a slight hangover.  Some people experience nausea.  Due to the unpredictability of all this it is sometimes advised to take a few days off just so one can deal with the side effects without the extra worry about making to work the next day.

If it was me...  I would wait till I had a couple of days free lined up... just to help lessen the stress of course.  In the beginning, as you get use to all this, I would suggest taking the Sustiva on a empty stomach... it helps lessens the chance of nausea and wild vivid dreams I found.  As time goes on you can adjust this as you become more comfortable taking your meds.

Good luck!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »
I'm on Atripla and take at night before bed.  One time I took by accident during the day (don't ask how I did that) but I felt dizzy and a little disoriented when I did it.  Night time works good for me.   A few vivid dreams (last night involved something with moving, parents bringing a bunch of food etc over, may have been tied to super bowl party, and being stuck on the 5th floor with the elevator not working).  I've only had one nightmare (which involved a giant cockroach - like from Mimic - hoveing over my head) -- woke up quick from that one and shook it off  :-)   Not the cockroach - the nightmare  ---  Otherwise, the Atripla at night works for me.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 08:48:59 pm »
I take my meds in the morning after I get up and at night before bed.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:46 pm »
Every 12 HRS.  that means once in the morning, and once at night time = twice daily
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 11:40:57 pm »
Unfortunately the days of me deciding whether to take my meds in the morning OR in the evening are gone (Atripla). I now must take meds both morning and night. 2 in the morn, and 3 at night.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline clsoca

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 01:41:11 pm »
Once you go undetectable and the side effects wear-off, you can take atripla anytime each day. During the period you are detectable it is important to take the 123 pill near the same time each day/night.

I currently take atripla between 12 noon to 6pm each day.
10/07 Infected
11/07 Seroconversion
07/08 Tested Poz
07/08 VL 487  CD4 658  (No Meds)
10/08 VL 286  CD4 724  (No Meds)
01/24/09 VL 30,100   CD4 329 CD4 30% (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 367 CD4 36%  Blood Work @ UCLA (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 317 CD4 35% Blood Work @ USC (No Meds)
02/12/09 VL 52,000   CD4 297 CD4 29%
02/12/09  Started Atripla
04/01/09 VL 60  CD4 667   CD4 48%
06-05-09  VL UD CD4 427   CD4 39%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.