Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:59:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 337
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Interference of HIV rapid testing when one is in her menstrual period?  (Read 30409 times)

Offline rickyphilly

Dear all: this is my first time to know this place. Would be very grateful if the experts here could access my exposure.

I went to a KTV in chinatown. The girl gave me a sort of lap dance (sit on me rubbing my penis,all my clothes are on and she wears her t-string).my penis was erected and she had her t-string on.After i left the KTV, I noticed a small white stain on my pants (near genital area).question-->Assume the white stain is her vaginal secretions, any chance for it to permeate through her t-string and get onto my pants and permeate through to my underwear then to my penis by the rubbing and grinding?

It has been two weeks since the encouter. I have developed flu-like symptoms today and also I had a bad diarrhea this morning. I am so scared if i could be infected with HIV through this..could you please help? thanks a million!

Ricky

Offline RapidRod

Re: my HIV exposure and acute infection?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:54:44 am »
You were never at risk of contracting HIV in the situation you've provided. Take the time to read the lessons on transmission. You can find the link in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 08:08:58 am »
Rick,

Even if both of you were naked during your lapdance, you would not have had a risk for hiv infection. Hiv transmission happens INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

You didn't have a risk and you don't need to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:43:22 pm »
many thanks, Ann and RapidRod!The reason why HIV is not a concern here is that even her viganial fluid traveled from her t-string and permeated through to my underwear or to my penis, the ability of infection for the fluid is gone, am i right?also, even those fluid managed to travel to my penis would have very little quantity. Am i right?

thank you again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 06:39:07 am »
Rick,

Yes, you're right. Hiv does not travel through clothes and infect. It can't.

PLEASE don't keep posting about your NO RISK lap-dance.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 12:58:16 pm »
Dear Ann and RapidRod:

the reason why I came back is a peace of mind confirmation needed.

what happened to me besides the lap-dance in my first post 2 months ago is:

on May 10th, I visited a massage center. The lady there provided me a handjob. Before the handjob, she touched her vigina. My fear here is: if she has had some of her viginal fulid on her hand and subsequently (short time, could be a few seconds) a handjob done on my penis without a condom, does this pose any threat of HIV infection if she is HIV+ (i.e. possible hand to genital infection)?

following up with this lap-dance incident on July 10th, I have been tested negative on Sept 8th and a few times of negative before Sept 8th (4 month since the massage incident and 2 month since the lap-dance incident).-the test is rapid test done at hospital.

Could I really put this behind me and move on without any more HIV testing?I know what my problem is, guilt, but i just can't help thinking of it. I seem always telling myself, only a 6-month negative result is conclusive. i.e., Jan 10th, 2009 would be the date for the 6 month of the most recent lap-dance incident.

how do you think? many thanks for your kind words,

Warmest regards,
Ricky

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 02:53:05 pm »
Yes put it behind you. You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV. Take the time to read the Lesson section. You can find the link in the "Welcome" thread at the top of the page.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:52:16 pm »
Being masturbated is absolutely not a risk for transmission. No, not even if her hand was dripping in vaginal secretions. HIV is a fragile virus and is absolutely not transmitted in that manner.

As Rod suggested, please read our lesson Transmission.
Andy Velez

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 08:39:57 am »
Dear all:

first of all..thank you all so much for being helpful to answer all worried-souls questions. recently, there is some aids awareness program carried out in my town and I just become more worried about myself. However, this time, I am not worrying about the two exposures mentioned before because I already tested negative at 4 months for both exposures.. now my concern is about a week ago happened in a toilet in a restaurant. I usually wash my penis after pee-ing. Last saturday, i did the same at a toliet of a restaurant. However, the head of the penis accidently touched the outter side of the hand-washing basin. I can't remember if there is any fluid other than water which has touched the head of my penis. My concern is if the fluid other than water are HIV infectious fluid such as blood or semen, could i be infected by HIV in this manner? I know I may sound absurd...but I am just too afraid with all this..

appreciate your replies..

thank you!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 09:36:30 am »
HIV cannot be transmitted off of environmental surfaces. You were never at risk.

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 10:56:17 am »
Hi, RapidRod - Many thanks for your reply. Andy and Ann, how do you all think?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 11:25:40 am »
I can only confirm what Rod has told  you. You were never even remotely at risk over your latest incidents. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 08:54:51 am »
Dear Andy, Rod and Ann:

Many thanks for your reply to me always I think I just feel too guilty over all massage incidents as I'm going to marry my girlfriend next year and everything has been well planned except the regrets that have planted and kept growing deep into myself. I feel that I am linking every tiny details during all massage experiences to HIV infection.

In fact, i just thought of another detail during another massage experience which I wasn't bothered at all because I didn't do anything even not a handjob (I promise this is going to be the last one). However, i remembered that this massage lady was having her period (her first day). She was wearing a pantyliner which were stick on the inside of her underwear(I don't remember her underwear was even wet/soaked by blood as i remembered I touched her underwear which was dry)...I know it is probably due to the menstrual blood on her underwear or pantyliner made my worry again....as I was fully naked...could there be any possibility that I could be infected by accidental touch of my penis head/urethra to her underwear, legs, mini-skirt or anywhere where there could be any of her menstrual blood (dry blood, blood stain or whatever?).

Many many thanks again and as always for your time.

I can only confirm what Rod has told  you. You were never even remotely at risk over your latest incidents. Period.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:58:33 am by rickyphilly »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 09:07:10 am »
OK, you have been coming here long enough so that you should know that the kinds of incidents you are concerned about do not in anyway present a risk of HIV transmission. Absolutely NONE!

In terms of sexual acts the only things that are definitely high risk are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Some other acts are theoretically risky but in the real world of HIV we know it's all about unprotected intercourse. And if you were to have intercourse then using a condom everytime would protect you very well from HIV.

HIV is a fragile virus and not easily transmitted. And certainly not from fingering, from lap dances, maturbation, massages or such.

Guilt and shame seem to be much more easily transmitted and it seems to me that is what is driving your unwarranted fears. Give it up and let it go. You have not been at risk. Period.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:36:40 am »
Andy

thank you so much for the firm and quick reply. I guess what I concern with the menstrual blood is some stained blood on her skirt or body came in touch to my urethra. No rubbing or grinding of my penis to any part of her, hence it was merely a touch. Is it even not theoretically risky?

thank you!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 10:17:46 am »
Sexually doing anything other than with your own hand is "theoretically" risky.

However, HIV is not transmitted via environmental surfaces such as clothing, doorknobs, toilet seats, food, dishes  and/or other things people seem to become worried about. In the setting you have described it wouldn't have mattered even if the fabric was dripping with menstrual blood.

You are worrying needlessly. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 10:42:02 am »
massive thanks, Andy. I really can't remember which part of her touched my urethra through slight nudging while I was naked. Anyway, even my urethra indeed came into contact (slight nudging) with any form of blood (either dry or stain on her body) from her pantiliner or underwear or skirts or legs, it wont form any kinda infection of HIV, right?

thanks for confirmation!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:45:34 am by rickyphilly »

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 09:19:50 am »
Dear Andy: care to confirm my question ?

very much appreciated!

Best Regards

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 09:31:04 am »
That's right. Contact of that sort with your urethra is not a risk. Your mind maybe telling you otherwise but it is absolutely not akin to the risk which occurs during unprotected intercourse.
Andy Velez

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 09:57:50 pm »
Dear Andy:

After some further thoughts, I realised that I was just too imaginative and scared unecessarily. You see, I always said what if the menstrual blood came into contact with my penis. but some facts which I thought could counter this happening after all.
1) Even there is any menstrual blood coming out from her virgina, the blood must have contacted with her underwear, pantiliners or skirt(because she was fully clothed all time) , hence lost infectious ability even the blood came in touch my penis head. RIGHT?

2) there is no blood noticed on my penis that day. I would have noticed or felt it if my penis came in touch with any wet blood. or at least saw red when I was taking shower that night.

3) I remembered that I never intended to put my penis near her under wear region. i.e., less chance to touch any blood from her virgina due to her period.

How do you think?

many thanks and appreciations for everything.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:01:14 pm by rickyphilly »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 11:04:18 pm »
You have already been given your answers. No matter how many times you ask the answers are not going to change. You did not have a risk.

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 08:32:37 pm »
Hi, Andy and Rapidrod:

I do apologies for the excessive posting on this but I just can't get over of it. I also know I am getting really paranoid and sometimes panic over the fear of HIV. But I do appreciate your opinions over my words below

Andy: At the moment, all I am telling myself is there wasn't any menstrual blood at all on that day and to be honest I feel only this fact could set my mind at peace. Thus, I am trying to remember everything to support the absense of blood. Here is my logic: if there is any blood dripping off her underwear, she would've felt/noticed it and stopped the massage to wash herself first before serving the customer OR I could've seen the blood on the white towel or bedsheet BUT both didn't happen.After the massage, she cleared the bedsheet and collected all the white towels and I remembered that I saw her doing all that and I still didn't see any blood on her leg (she was wearing a short skirt hence easy to see the legs). Do you think my logic is correct?

thank you so much for your help!

warmest regards
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:35:06 pm by rickyphilly »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 09:12:14 pm »
Seek professional counseling to help you deal with your phobias. You were still never at risk.

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 10:18:24 pm »
Hi, Rapidrod:

appreciate your reply at this hour. however, do you see my logic in the previous post?

thanks again!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 03:50:11 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 05:50:50 am »
Rick,

It doesn't matter if your logic is correct or not. It doesn't matter if she was on her period or not. It doesn't matter if she was dripping blood or not. The fact is - you didn't have unprotected intercourse with her. You didn't have a risk.

Keep posting over this NO RISK incident and you will be given a time out. You will not be warned again.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 10:04:32 am »
dear all moderators (Ann, Rapidrod and Andy):

apologies for excessive posting. I am just paranoid and I am trying hard to convince myself there is no risk in my encounter. In fact, i did think through a few days ago until last night when I am down with a low fever (37.5 C) +sore throat + mild diarreha + no rash yet..I came to be scared again from encounter with the massage lady who was having her period 5 weeks ago.

apologies again.. ???

happy holidays!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 10:13:56 am »
Seek the professional mental help that you need. You did not have a risk of contracting HIV. End of story.

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 07:42:43 am »
Hi, RapidRod:

Please don't take my post below as excessive posting, as i am just asking a simple question of ARS symptom which I never asked upon. i got this ulcer in my throat (white spot in front of the tonsil on the left of the photo) photo at

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/1733201863_6a7be71401.jpg?v=0

do you think this ulcer + low grade fever for 1 day +no rash +good appetite + mild diarrhea due to anti-biotics after 5 weeks of possible exposure look like any ARS?

I am just asking a generic question on ARS, please do not time out on me...

appreciate your reply

Merry Christmas!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 07:45:22 am by rickyphilly »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 07:52:08 am »
How many ways is there to tell you that you didn't have a risk? Without a risk, you can't have ARS. You do know what your Christmas present is going to be from AidsMeds? You were warned..

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 08:15:16 am »
thanks, rapidrod. I just want to hear an independent view on these symptoms if they are ARS qualified.no other intention really...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 09:10:52 am »
Rick,

Nobody can diagnose you over the internet. Go see a doctor to find out what, if anything is wrong with you. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out or you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rickyphilly

Interference of HIV rapid testing when one is in her menstrual period?
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 11:46:33 am »
Hi, all:

i am asking this on behalf of a female friend who doesn't know English well.If a lady is in her menstrual cycle and goes to test her HIV outside window period by using either oraquick or any other rapid test kit (approved by FDA). Will the result be affected by the menstrual cycle at all?such as hormone level etc? I read the body website which states that a pregnant lady could have a confusing HIV test result during the pregnancy because of some body substance released in blood which interfere with the rapid anti-body test. Is it true?

thank you for your quick reply!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Interference of HIV rapid testing when one is in her menstrual period?
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 12:16:12 pm »
Rick,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter if you're posting about a new incident or asking a question for someone else.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

While pregnancy sometimes causes false positives, the menstrual cycle has no effect whatsoever on hiv antibody testing. A woman who is not pregnant will not have the same hormones in her blood as a pregnant woman.

A false positive antibody result due to pregnancy will be picked up by the Western Blot test, which must be used to confirm - or rule out - any positive antibody result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 12:27:00 pm »
Ann - apologies for starting a new topic.

so it is the hormones which play the trick in HIV antibody testing?just to confirm, a pregnant lady will have a different hormones to a lady in menstrual cycle and this difference hormones is the cause to the possible false-positive? also, are there any false-negative cases for pregnant lady due to this hormones?

appreciate your answer, thank you!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 12:33:42 pm »
Rick,

Pregnant women have a hormone in their bodies that other women (or men) don't - human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG). And yes, this hormone is believed to be what can sometimes cause false positives in pregnant women - although I don't think they know this for fact. It's a supposition.

And no, there are NO hormones that would cause a false-negative.

As long as your friend is testing three months or more past her risky encounter, then her result will be conclusive - no matter where she is in her menstrual cycle.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 02:50:50 pm »
many thanks for the confirmation, Ann.

She is tested negative at 6th month mark with Oraquick HIV 1/2 finger prick blood at a local clinic here.The doctor told her she could let it go as the test sensitivity is 99.6% (0.4% of false negative rate)..Does she needs to worry false negative?May I know what possible false negative cases are in the Oraquick rapid test? she is healthy without any chronic diseases

the clinic is using Oraquick from the sole distributor by the ministry here. sensitivity data is also obtained from the distributor's website at http://rockeby.com/products_OraQuick.html

thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 03:30:28 pm »
Rick,

As the window period is ONLY THREE MONTHS (and you should know that by now) your friend has MORE THAN conclusively tested negative for hiv. She does NOT have hiv. No, it's not a false negative. She doesn't have hiv.

Now please, let this go.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 04:15:33 am »
Ann - thanks for the reply. I will vanish after my last 2 question (I know the rule well as I was given a time-out before).

1)What are the possible reasons to have false negative for a person who is tested well beyond the window by using Oraquick finger prick blood method?
2)or the 0.4% false negative rate from oraquick (distributor site) refer to those who tested within window?

Appreciate if you could answer me straight and I will disappear after this. Millions of thanks!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 05:43:30 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 09:58:51 am »
ok. please give me a time out after I hear from answers for my question. I swear this is going to be my last time ask question in relation to this incident. Please answer me. thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 10:30:19 am »
Rick,

1 - There ARE no reasons a person would have a false negative result at six months.

2 - I've never seen any reason given for this number. Perhaps it is lab/human error, but I don't know. Why don't you write to the company and ask THEM?

I have a suspicion that you're asking these questions for yourself, not another person. What ever the reason is, we've given you the answers and it's time you got on with your life. One more post from you about this false negative stuff and you'll be given another time out. Enough is enough already.

Please consider yourself warned for the last time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2009, 10:33:42 am »
Dear Ann:

Just back from oversea trip and saw your reply.Many thanks for your answers as always. I have another (i hope this is the last one) question: Will the rapid HIV blood test be affected if i ate my lunch 2 hours before the test??I remembered I needed to be empty stomach when I did my liver testing by using my blood too..so wonder if food could change any protein inside blood and weaken the strength of HIV-antibody to be detected by the blood rapid test?

I am willing to get a time-out after this question and to give myself a break over this matter...However, I would very much appreciate your answer on this.

many thanks!

Rick,

1 - There ARE no reasons a person would have a false negative result at six months.

2 - I've never seen any reason given for this number. Perhaps it is lab/human error, but I don't know. Why don't you write to the company and ask THEM?

I have a suspicion that you're asking these questions for yourself, not another person. What ever the reason is, we've given you the answers and it's time you got on with your life. One more post from you about this false negative stuff and you'll be given another time out. Enough is enough already.

Please consider yourself warned for the last time.

Ann

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:52:43 am by rickyphilly »

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:23 am »
Dear Ann and Andy:

millions of appreciation if you could answer my last question on if having food before the HIV rapid test will affect HIV test accuracy?

many many thanks...

Rick

Dear Ann:

Just back from oversea trip and saw your reply.Many thanks for your answers as always. I have another (i hope this is the last one) question: Will the rapid HIV blood test be affected if i ate my lunch 2 hours before the test??I remembered I needed to be empty stomach when I did my liver testing by using my blood too..so wonder if food could change any protein inside blood and weaken the strength of HIV-antibody to be detected by the blood rapid test?

I am willing to get a time-out after this question and to give myself a break over this matter...However, I would very much appreciate your answer on this.

many thanks!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:57:38 am by rickyphilly »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2009, 10:57:15 am »
No, eating prior to an HIV test will not affect the reliablity of the test result.
Andy Velez

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 11:22:16 am »
Hi, Andy or Ann:

i got an interesting question. I understand that in the HIV rapid test there is false positive. One reason for it is that HIV antigen placed on the testing strip gets reacted with non-HIV antibodies. So it seems antigen-antibody pair doesn't react(combine) together exactly always. Mismatch does happens.

My question - if one eats lunch before the HIV test, could be any antigen in the food which flow into the blood thereafterreact with HIV-antibody and make the antibody unable to react with the designed HIV antigen on the testing strip, hence false negative?

I need your reply on this..I feel that only a logical scientific answer to this could put me at ease...

many thanks!!

No, eating prior to an HIV test will not affect the reliablity of the test result.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 12:26:48 pm »

Offline rickyphilly

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 12:47:10 pm »
Very sorry, RapidRod.Could you please allow me to have an answer from Andy?

my questions are quite clear I think:
1) Does food produce antigen?
2) Does HIV antibody in blood react with food antigen(antigen which is released by food taken before the HIV test) by any chance? if not, why HIV antigen placed in HIV testing strip could react with non-HIV antibody in some false positive cases?
3) If HIV antibody does react with food antigen by accident, will this reaction fail the real HIV antibody to be detected by HIV rapid test?

please...thank you!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:04:07 pm by rickyphilly »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2009, 01:05:15 pm »
Man, this stuff is all just totally nonsense. None of it has anything to do with HIV science. We are not here to indulge you addressing each of your thoughts and fears about HIV.

You call it "an interesting question." I don't. When you eat and what you eat has nothing to do with the accuracy of an HIV test.

You are just at the edge of earning yourself another Time Out or even being banned from the site.

If you can't let go of this unwarranted HIV obsession, then I suggest you see a professional and get some help with it. We can't do that service for you here.

Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.