Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Sex on the beach  (Read 10000 times)

Offline miami690

• Standard
Sex on the beach
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:48 pm »
Hi , first off all thanks for these forums because they hav helped me relieve a lot of stress and decreased my fears big time.

It all happened so fast , I came out of work late and  I met a couple of chicks at the bar , I immediately knew what waa going to happen that night , she was a beutifull caucassian girl and I immediately felt that connection, they where all from out of town.I drove them to the beach and while dancing at a club I fingered one while dancing , she wasn't resisting me so I dragged her to the beach and we had sex unprotected for 6 minutes or so , then I went down on her and gaved her oral for 3 or 5 munutes until she came frna total of 3 times . I then droped her off at her hotel and headed home .

This is where it gets tricky , I immediately developed a burn on my testicles , it went fom dull to full burn for a good week and a half , I went to the STD clinic and testes for everything, and they gaved me a hepatatis B shot , evertyhing came back negative a week later including hiv , Ithen did te mstake of reading about HIV symptoms ,and started to worry , riding around on my bike i got wet so maybe it helped but I never get sick , and now I was having chills where I was sensitive to the ac , (around 3 weeks) and my throat started hurting at around 4 weeks  i felt like my glands on my neck where swollen but I couldnt tell for sure , when i put on my helmet it felt like pressure on the lower jaw , today I feel better after almost 5 weeks after sex but I am sneezing a bit and my throat still hurts ,

I still talkto the girl and she seems nice but if she has it either she doesnt care or doesnt know an im afraid to ask her because i dont eant tonsound like a duche .

The problem is that i have a gf that I libe with and I have put of having sex with because ii would kill myself if she got sick because of me .

Oh an I forgot , I also got some headakes at around 3 weeks for 3 days .

i am going to take another hiv test probably tommorow .

What do you guys think ?

Pd:15 minutes of sex is not worth what I have been going through , always wrap up!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Sex on the beach
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:56:00 pm »
Miami, it's not the race nor anything else about the person you are with that matters. No, what does matter is what you do and if you practice safer sex or not. Safer sex means always without any exceptions using a condom for vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as you consistently use a condom properly then you will be well protected.

HIV is a fragile virus. It is more difficult to transmit it from female to male than the other way around. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so with 4-6 weeks after an exposure. So you can test at 6 weeks after. Assuming you test negative you do need to confirm that with a conclusive result at 3 months. You are responsible for your own health so asking her afterwards is not the answer. Even well meaning people often don't know their status accurately. When you have a risk  a conclusive result negatively is the only reliable way to go.  

Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. So we advise anyone who is sexually active to at least annually have a full STD panel done.

Good luck with your test result.  

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:58:23 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 05:49:14 pm »
 Andy and thanks for your prompt answer.

I eill get another test for everything tommorow and then if negative another test in 2 weeks to make sure , I have learned this lesson and god willing I am given another chance I will never do something this stupid again , so far i got lucky and it doesnt look like I cought herpes sifilis or anything else , if anything it may br clamydia or just a small infection ,.

Thinking back none of my
Syntoms have been severe , save that I have never felt this way in years and it just rings warnings when you feel odd , maybe it is mental who knows .

My hearth goes put to all people that has gone through this , specially the ones that tested positive for hiv or herpes

The only thing that gives me hope is reading the very low chances of contracting hiv through vaginal sex if you are the male , and that I have not goten mouth sores or rashes anyware (knock on wood) altough I have read on these forums about a couple of people that have gothen the same syntoms as I and tested positive .

Andy thans for being a friend to talk to , most of my friends will either tell me to stop worrying or will lecture me for half hour , I ride a motorcycle so I well know the risks of living a risky life , hopefully ths eill be one wipeout that I can juat learb from and ride off and not leave me scared for life

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »
You're welcome. Hopefully you're going to squeak by safely this time. Learn from this experience and remember to always use a condom for intercourse.

Good luck when you test.
Andy Velez

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »
Hi Andy .

so today I went to the STD clinic at the 30 day mark and it came back negative , the doctor told me that my symptoms where not consistent with acute HIV , and had me test anyways , it came back negative after 20 minutes (blood taken out ) she told me that although encouraging and because my sex was low risk and because like you always say and repeat most people seroconvert at the 22 days mark in average , but the test again in a month just to be sure .

In your expirience what are the odds that my 30 day test will turn positive in a month ?

I just want to put this behind me .

Thank you in advance for your advice and support .

Miami.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:32:24 pm »
Well of course that is happy news.

If you test negative at 6 weeks that will mean that for your conclusive test result at 3 months you will very likely continue to test negative.

Don't shortchange the testing. In a way you got into this problem by trying to skip over things and not bother with a condom. The appropriate time for a conclusive negative result is 3 months.

Today's negative is certainly encouraging but it is not a conclusive result.
Andy Velez

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:46:11 pm »
Argh you won't cut me any slack ah?  ;D ok , you are right , I wasn't planning to skip the test in one month or in 3 months , altough I will probably do the hometest where you send the sample to a lab , sitting on a STD clinic for half a day can really hurt your income lol .

All I was asking is if you had a crystal ball (since I've seen you do it with other people ) what would say based one what you have seen in similar circumstances .

Andy you do a greta service to everyone here , HIV - and + by providing a shoulder to cry on and relieve some stress , I would not even dare try to post questions like this one yahoo answers or similar because of the type of answers I would get .

The only thing I have been feeling is a little headake , some sneezing , and off and on sensation of going "to get sick" but then again my GF was riding some stepthroat a while back so that could had affected how I feel I guess .

Funny when I ride my motorcycle I always wear my motorcycle equipment , never leave without a helmet , jacket , boots , pants , gloves , but I fail to use one single peace of safety equipment that could save my life non the less .

Regardless of how I come out of this I will be the biggest advocate for condoms to all my friends after this ..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:07:46 pm »
My crystal ball is in the repair shop.

All I can responsibly say is the odds are in your favor that you will come out of this ok.

And for what it's worth, none of those "symptoms" are in any way HIV specific.
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:15:14 pm »
I've been answering questions here for almost eight years, maybe more, off and on. I can't remember a single heterosexual guy who had brief unprotected vaginal sex and turned out positive coming through here. Maybe Ann has. She has a memory like, you know, those animals that remember things.

HIV is an order of magnitude harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around.

I would be genuinely shocked if you tested HIV positive over this incident. But please test to be sure, and please use condoms :) - Felt I needed that caveat.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:32:30 pm »
Thank you for your answers ,I would hate to be that one person that did and shocked everyone here .

OK so I have a theorical question .

If what I felt a 2 weeks ago what seroconverting (the sensitivity to cold , mild soar throat ) then it would mean that the seroconvertion took place and my test 2 weeks after would had shown positive correct? I mean in theory ,I know some people seroconvert later , but if those where the syntoms of the body fighting the infection then when I took the test at day 26 (sorry for saying 30 day earlier , I miscounted) it would had been reactive.

The way I have been reading the test works is they put your plasma on a microscope , and they drop HIV proteine into it and they observe it , if the white cells move to attack the protein then they know the body has generated defenses for the HIV so therefore HIV is present , then they add some sort of fluid that if your body is aware of HIV it would glow , at least that is what I understood .

Thanks in advance.

Miami

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 11:41:17 am »
Miami,

I don't know where you're getting your "information" on how the tests are done from (and I do not care to know either), but it's simply ludicrous.

In an ELISA, the HIV antigen source (originally detergent solubilized virus, nowadays purified recombinant HIV proteins or peptides) is coated onto a plastic surface, usually the bottom of a small well (of which there are traditionally 96) on a "microtiter plate". The unbound viral proteins are then washed away and any non-specific binding sites for antibodies on the wells are blocked with an irrelevant protein. A solution containing human serum is then added, diluted in a buffer containing a high concentration of unrelated proteins to further reduce non-specific binding of the serum antibodies to sites the ELISA wells. Hence the viral antibodies bind specifically to the viral antigens present on the filter, and not elsewhere.

Any HIV-specific antibodies that are present in the solution bind to the HIV antigens on the surface of the well. The excess, unbound antibodies are washed away, and a labeled detection antibody is added. This is an antibody specific for human antibodies (for example, an antibody raised in rabbits against human IgG, then chemically labeled with an enzyme). The excess detection antibody is then removed by washing, so the only detection antibodies remaining attached to the membrane are those specifically bound to the HIV proteins via the intermediary of the human serum antibodies. In other words, a tri-partite layer is built up on the ELISA plate: HIV antigen, then serum anti-HIV antibody, and finally the labeled detection antibody, which is why reference is often made to a "sandwich" ELISA. The labeled antibody is then detected and quantified. When an enzyme labeled antibody is used, a solution is applied that causes a color change in the well in the presence of the enzyme. source

Yes, if your symptoms had anything to do with hiv, your test would most likely have been either inconclusive, or positive.

There are no short-cuts to hiv testing and you can only get a conclusive negative result at the three month point. It would have been far simpler for you to use a condom, eh?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:56:34 pm »
Thanks for clarifying Ann .

I am going through hell with the anxiety ,it is affecting my every day , and every time I feel something odd I imagine it must be the HIV settling in besides the odds being on my favor I am extremely worried and regretful.

the days go by slowly to test again at 6 weeks , it has affected my ability to concentrate at work , sports , and at home because I don't bring the courage the tell my GF what happened and I don't want to have sex with her to prevent her from catching anything , I could not forgive myself if that happened so she is off limits until I am completely cleared .

Oh dear god help me from my own stupidity and recklessness ..

I keep imagining symptoms , I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me or what ... I am trying to pevent my subconsious from generating symptoms like it has happened to other people .. I keep telling myself that I don't even know if the girl is positive to begin with , although she is pretty promiscuous for what she has told me , I keep telling myself that I tested neg at 4 weeks that already puts me at 50% better chance , that it is harder to pass it from her to me .. the mind is a powerful thing and may generate stuff that is not there ....

How could I had been so stupid ...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 07:41:52 am »
Miami,

You need to stop making judgements about other people's sex lives. You only have a right to judge your own.

You also need to get busy with other things and stop dwelling on hiv because yes, you will make yourself ill. We see it happen here all the time. And don't try telling us that you're too scared to do anything else - that's not going to hold any water here with us.

I fully expect you to continue to test negative. Now get off the internet and go do something constructive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:18:50 pm »
Hi Ann and thank you for answering !

Well time has gone by and it is not almost 6 weeks since exposure , I have had some sneezing and coughing but it is going around so I keep calming myself down , the sneezing is seldom and the coughing is rare too , just a mildly sore throat .

What took me by surprise today and made me start worrying again is that although the soreness and tightness of under my jaw as well as my testicular pain has all but dissipated this morning I woke up to a burn under my right arm almost like the feeling of a tear on a small muscle , granted I play tennis and that is my racquet hand and I just played 3 days of hard tennis I assumed it may had been just a sore muscle or a small fiber that was pulled , but then I feel behind my left ear and there is a little bump that it is sensitive to the touch , so I go on line and now I find out that there are  lymph glands on those areas , added to the fact that my neck feels a little tender too I am now sure  that my glands are irritated , not swollen (yet) but sensitive , can this be at almost the 6 week mark ? I mean I'll see to what new surprise I wake up to tomorrow morning .

I have not had any loss of apettite (if anything I have gained weight because I have been over eating out of stress ) no loss of energy , no rashes or mouth sores ,just a feeling of my ears popping since 2 weeks ago , swallowing salive or chewing gum takes care of it .

Now what else could be causing this ? if I had sex on the 25 of sept , would a test now be accurate ? I know the conclusive is at 3 months .

I have been blocking my emotions like crazy , but every new thing that surfaces drives me nuts , I've heard of people that sleep with SW and miss the bullet , but this is getting ridiculous , I will have to confess to my GF what happened now , it's just way too many things to ignore and I don't want to put her at risk on a moment of weakness ...

I will buy the home test tomorrow if you guys recommend it and send it over , thank you for your continuous support!

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 08:06:13 am »
well I woke up feeling good I guess , the sensitiviness under my arm pit is gone .

bah , I just have to man up to and face the consequences of my actions and stop whining around like a little brat ...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 08:43:08 am »
Just get on with your life. We expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 08:47:25 am »
Miami,

The only home test you should use is Home Access. It's the one you have to send in to a lab for interpretation. Do not buy one that you have to interpret yourself. Those are not FDA approved for use as they are unreliable.

I also fully expect you to test negative. Now stop whining.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 09:46:38 am »
thank you Andy and Ann , my thoughts exactly , I need to stop whining , really .. I have seen people that have lost body functions from the neck down that have shown more courage than I have , I read my posts now and I realize that ..

Regardless of the outcome I would like to thank you all , now time to toughen up and look on , if negative good ! learn to use protection , if infected then I need to start looking at my alternatives , end of story!

Hugs to you guys  :)

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 07:18:11 pm »
Hi Andy , Ann

I went in for my second shot of hep B and decided to test for hiv at 6 weeks since I was already there

My Elisa came back negative , the doctor told
Me that at this point she feels pretty confident that I am ok, but said that for my peace of mind to do it again at 3 months if I want .

The test was a intravenous elisa duo

So you wont be seeig me until my next an last test in 2 months , thanks guys for being there for mr
And everyone going through similar things , in the bug scope of things this made me grow up a lot , I will jot have unprotected casual sex again !

Love you guys !

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 08:50:27 am »
I agree with your doctor's evaluation and expectation of a negative at 3 months.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 03:57:26 am »
3 month update :

Hi everyone !

I went for my conclusive 3 month post-exposure HIV test and STD test .

The test came out negative ! at least for the HIV , I will let you guys know for other people's reference about the STD one in a week .

This has been a growing expirience , not only did this expirience help me grow as a person and become stronger but also gave me an appreciation of people living with this disease , the courage and resolve that people show when they are infected really made me feel small  , also the patience you guys show reading the some times rebundant questions is remarkable !

Also I have an advice to anyone out there that may be reading this , 15 minutes of drunken sex is not worth a life time of regretting , either through an aquired STI or unwanted pregnancy , at the same time even when infected it is not the end of the life , just the start of a new one.In addition symptoms are absolute shit in trying to see if you are infected with HIV , only a test can prove it , I had what I tought were tender lymph nodes , chills at 2 weeks , headaches a mouth sore and I still came out negative , funny this all happened after reading about the symptoms , so stop thinking about it so much because your brain will make it happen .

Also HIV is a lot harder to get than people think through regular vaginal sex for the insertive partner , still there are many other nasty STI  and protection should always be used .

Thanks Ann , Andy and everyone else in here that has helped me calm my fears down .

Cheers and see you around .

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 08:31:51 am »
You're welcome. And that's happy news to get as you begin a New Year.

Protect that gift by always without exception using condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions.

CHeers.
Andy Velez

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 11:22:22 pm »
Hi Ann, Andy and jkinalt.

Your help during my last crisis in 2011 was priceless so to me it is an honor to pay for a 90 day subscription to describe my new one.

I am not freaking out as much this time because as I said before I did learn from my lesson as I am sure I am going to learn from this one.

Description of the event and this question is urgent in matter.

I went to see an escort at a spa near my house , girl was a hot colombian, we had sex in missionary, then she rode me and then doggy, after I noticed that my hard on has gone down a bit , result of my ever lasting problem with getting nervous with a new person, I told her to bend over and as I fingered her I jerked myself off for a bit to bring myself closer to orgasm(with the condom still on) as the hard on came back and I felt the orgams coming I pushed her into the bed a bit and I positioned the still covered penis into her and pushed on, as I pushed on I felt it tear and in no less than 5 seconds I pulled out, I must had inserted the tip of my penis at most, the girl was extremelly wet so the head of my penis got instantly soaked in vagina fluids.

I told her the condom broke and and she went "oh" and laid on my back and asked her to finish me off by hand, after wards she sprayed a bunch of rubbing alcohol on my penis which did not burn at al for at least 10 seconds, which I guess it is a good sign of not having any skin tears on my "hood" or elsewhere.

got up and washed througly with soap and water and even a bit more alcohol and asked her if she knew her status (I know she was not going to tell me but I wanted to watch her reaction) to which he answered "it would not matter anyways since the condom broke outside right?" and I said"the tip went in" and she kind of gaved me a "oh shit lip bite".

All of this happened sunday , I went to a clinic on monday, and explaine everything to the doctor which was sorta familiar with the PEP , she told me she did not know much about pep and she was going to send to an infection doctor, and she asked me if we kissed and I said no , she said "good" and then after 20 minutes she came back and told me she spoke to a infection doctor and she was going to put me on 3 month dose of PEP , she asked me if I had insurance and I said no and she said it was going to cost me a bit, she then sent me to the lab to get a elisa HIV test and told me PEP could screw up my liver and kidenys so to stop taking it if I felt pain or started turning grey (great) the Elisa test costed me about 300 bucks plus the 69 dollar visit , they told me they would give me the results wed(tommorow) I went to wallgrins  and the tech told me that the medicine for one month was going to be 2000 dollars so I walked out of there sorta throwing my fate to the destiny.

Now based on what I have read here you guys probably have more of an understanding of the HIV virus that some of these doctors (not all) my questions are:

1:based on my risk exposure is it worth to drop 6000 dollars in PEP since I have till tommorow to do it.

2:is it not 90 days too much to be on PEP? the bit of reading I have been doing here and other forums says most people are put on 1 month tops.

3:why the elisa test 1 day after exposure?

thanks guys and any advice you guys provide will be at face value and I will of course not hold you liable for any thing but I trust you guys in the past and now.

Thanks

edit:another thing that made me question the doctor in question was that she said she wanted to see my "viral load" after I had already told her about my neg status and she said the test would show any HIV even from yesterday, is this true?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:26:21 pm by miami690 »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:44 am »
In the ten plus years I have been answering questions and giving risk assessment in this forum I have NEVER seen an insertive partner end up positive after a condom break. Not once.

Though it is prudent to test (for peace of mind) at six weeks/three months, I absolutely think you are going to be fine. You do not need to spend that sort of cash.

2. PEP is prescribed for one month, and not 90 days. People with HIV can get 90 days' worth of meds at once (for convenience and sometimes a price break) but no, you would only take a month's worth. And, of course, the clock regarding testing would start the day after your last dose - adding one month to your testing window. But like I said, you don't really need it.

3. An ELISA test one day after exposure was to make sure you were not positive already from a previous incident.

4. The nurse who was glad you didn't kiss the girl was astonishingly ignorant. Kissing has zero to do  with HIV infection. After that comment, I wouldn't have trusted her to tell me the currect date and time with a clock in her face.

In short, your risk was very low, and though you ought to test at the appropriate time, it does NOT rise to the level of PEP and you would be the first person in about eleven years to ever test positive after such a low level risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:24:58 am »
HI Jkinatl2 (do you have any other name I can go by? lol) I appreciate your advice, I often read your forums and as said before your advice last time helped me get through this and learn to use condoms every time.

As said before the exposure was extremely short and only at entrance of the vagina, which reading one of Ann's post is not even where the virus trives, so that 5 second expossure had minimal risk but I wanted to ask you guys about it.

The sad part is that the person that told me about kissing was not a nurse but a doctor, and when she said 3 months I was mortified I may had done 1 month at 2000 dollars but 6000 dollars for minimal risk?

And 90 days on that med may destroy my liver for as little as it is doing in my case.

So based on my own judgment and your advice I will call the doctor to let her know that I am not doing the treatment and to hear the results of my 300 dollar HIV test since I already paid for it lol and I am fully sure it will be ok since I have used condoms for every sexual encounter since my last scare, after this I am just going to be done visiting escorts for sex, may just stick to the massage parlors with the happy endings lol.

Is there any opinion why would a doctor recommend 3 months of treatment? that is nuts !

And what are the chances of a false positive under the ELISA test just so I don't get a hearth attack if I hear a positive answer tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and counseling as always.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 01:51:31 am »
Hello, my name is Jonathan :)

Honestly, while there is some chance of liver or kidney issue with a few of the meds used in PEP, it's not going to destroy either one, especially not in a month with monitoring. You have to remember that PEP is essentially the exact same sort of treatment taken by people with HIV already - for years - almost always without serious effect.

And about the doctor freaking about kissing? Sigh. People really ought to shut up when they don't know something.

Also Holy Mother of God you paid a lot for that test. A rapid test is forty dollars at many pharmacies, and there are ASOs and public health clinics that will do that stuff for twenty busk or free. Wow. Just wow.

The risk of a false ELISA positive is small, but it does exist. I am more familiar with the rapid test "indeterminate" false positive than a blood test result, but all are followed up with Western Blot screening.

Butin your particular case, I think you can be confident in your status. Your interpretation of Ann and I is spot-on, and, well, we have yet to reset that calendar.

Welcome Thread

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 07:52:46 am »
Thank Jonathan.

I will drop by if any developments and at the 90 day mark of my paid subscription to let you guys know about the results.

Hugs.

edit: oh and the hiv test they did they took 3 vials of blood to run like 7 different tests , it was crazy lol..
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:09:22 am by miami690 »

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 10:22:08 am »
Ok , I am starting to think my doctor is a complete idiot.

I got a bill on the mail for 594 dollars for tests that I did not need.

She ordered the following tests:

-Cd4/Cd8 ratio profile

-Comp.Metabolic Panel (14)

-Hep B Surface AB

-HCV AB w/RFLX to Verification

-Creatine Kinase, Total, Serum

-HBsAg screen

I did some googling and the first test (which was 243 dollars) is for people that have been diagnosed with HIV +, I am not diagnosed and actually I am pretty confident I am negative.

The other tests seem to be for Hepatatis B and C , which are unlikely because I got Hep B shots and I am immune and C is as hard to get or harder than HIV or so I've heard.

What gives ? should I go screem at her and demand my money back? I do not want to pay an additional 594 dollars for these useless tests.

thanks

Offline miami690

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:58 pm »
my sub is about the expire and I just wanted to update . tested neg, thanks guys for the support and help

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
I am glad you checked back in!

I am happy (not shocked) to hear of your negative status.

Go forth, and use condoms well and wisely.

And all that.

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.