Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:50:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773195
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 369
Total: 370

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: We Don't Want Your Stinkin' Gay Organs....  (Read 5102 times)

Offline JohnOso

We Don't Want Your Stinkin' Gay Organs....
« on: February 03, 2007, 05:57:53 pm »
Okay, something happened yesterday at work that annoyed the hell outta me.

I'm a nurse and work in an intensive care unit.  Whenever we have a death on the unit, we're required to call the California organ donation "hotline" and go over the entire patient history with the organ/tissue bank coordinator (every death, every time).

Used to be fairly easy with a couple of questions, idle chit chat -- boom! no problems.  Nowadays everyone hates to do it, because it's so time-consuming to go over labs, vital signs, etc. from the past several days prior to the death.  Plus, follow-up phone calls, yada, yada, yada......

Yesterday, for the first time, they asked, "Was this person a known homosexual?"  I was momentarily taken aback, but continued onward (being the, *ahem*, professional that I am   :P).

Of course after the phone call, all my co-workers and doctors within earshot were treated to the Oso (once again) showing his ass, and treated to a tirade of choice words (don't worry, they're used to it by now -- my professionalism can only go so far  ;))

Now I don't know if they 100% exclude gays, but after the blood donation thread....it just rubs me the wrong way.

Valid complaint?  Overreaction?  Pearl clutcher?

John
(who actually has a weakness for gay organs)

Offline Razorbill

Re: We Don't Want Your Stinkin' Gay Organs....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 06:09:14 pm »
I cannot even imagine such a question to be part of the protocol.  Questions about HIV and other exlusionary conditions yes, but being gay?  Come on.  So what was their response to your lack of collegiality on the phone?   ;D

Offline Blixer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 06:21:57 pm »
I'm with you on this John.  Not an overreaction.  I could see there being an issue of HIV or Hep C or something else was involved. But just to exclued someone because they were a known homosexual.  What about a known bisexual... are they excluded?    Was this actually part of an accepted protocol or just someone new or who didn't have a clue?
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 06:27:16 pm »
Well, John, you don't want to spread homosexuality. It's a wicked disease.

You are the ultimate professional, though. I'm curious how they would even expect you to know whether or not he was in fact a 'known homosexual', and why that mattered. I would have been tempted to answer along the lines of, "Well, when I was trying to picking him up on his death bed, he assured me he was not gay".

I would have liked to have been in the room though, when you were showing your ass  ;D
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 06:59:41 pm »
I don't understand the reason for the questioning. Donor's are tested before organs are released. Skin, bone, eyes and other tissue are all tested before they're released. I've never heard of that question coming up. I've seen more go to waste because of size than for any other reason (lungs and hearts). I've heard the salvage collectors say shit that won't work, several times and abort the salvage procedure.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:18:50 pm »
I, for one, am not surprised.  If you are a male, they ask if you have ever had sex with another man, even once, since 1976 (or so -- I forget the exact year).  If you answer that questions with a "yes", you can not donate blood.  So, why would anyone expect it to be different with organs??

Now, trust me, I agree that it is nuts and that we should be concerned with actual risks and not false ones.  So many men are excluded from donating much need blood and organs due to rules that only made a little sense 25 years ago and make absolutely no sense today, given the technological advances in screening tests out there.  As I mentioned in the blood donation thread, I wrote a paper in grad school about the false sense of security this policy gave in the blood area.

So, my point, anyway, is that I agree it's crazy, even asinine, but my only surprise is that you hadn't been asked this question before.

Mike

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 03:58:36 am »
"Was this person a known homosexual?"

Sounds like a really bad line from a 1950s crime show.

8)
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 04:06:51 am »
I'm gonna have to look into that one, I have a friend that works at a donor bank. I don't see what being gay has to do with anything. What? If they put a gay organ into someone they think the person is gonna turn gay....Ass.. I would've said something smart to him. It amazes me the ignorance of some...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 06:19:51 am »
Like I said, I have no idea where this came from...it's the first time i've ever heard anyone from the organ-snatchin' place utter those words.

I'm assuming new orders from upon high....

Believe you me, it will be investigated  >:(

John
(who honed his rebellious streak at protests for gay rights WAY back yonder in the hills of Kentucky)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 07:20:58 am »
Discrimination, even post mortum. What next?
Please let us know what you uncover in your follow-up.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 08:26:17 am »

So I guess this means that a HIV positive hetero sexual man or woman's organs are ok...  Just goes to show the ignorance of some people.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 09:06:50 am »
Didn't you all know that by getting a HOMO kidney you will turn GAY!

Offline ademas

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 11:24:21 am »
I remember a news story from a few years back where some patients (who were on the waiting list for organs) actually wanted HIV+ donors to be considered by the medical community.

The thought was that so many were dying while waiting for transplants that at least they would have an option to extend their lives for another 10-20 (or more) years by receiving an organ from "a known homosexual"--or even from an HIV-positive donor.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 12:47:53 pm »
This is tangential so I apologize but I was unhappily surprised several years ago when I called the state office that handles donations of one's corpse after death for medical study.  They don't accept cadavers that were infected with HIV, Hep, or other serious communicable diseases.   The cadavers are used strictly for anatomical training and they want no known risk of infection to students.

What is so frustrating is I hope studying my body might help with research on HIV.  Pulling apart my brain and lymph system and whatever else might supply information about long-term effects of HIV,  might add a small bit to the overall amount of knowledge about HIV.  Maybe not.

Does anyone know of a medical school or other research institution that takes applications for body donations?  I sure as hell don't want anyone wasting money embalming me before I'm cremated (state law requires embalming before elimination of the remains) unless they're going to dissect me later.

Thanks,

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 01:05:31 pm »
Here is Ohio State University guidelines. Since they do research in HIV and so does the University of Cincinnati you may not have any problems. You'll just need to contact them. http://medicine.osu.edu/ame/bodydonation2.html

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.