Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:09:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 328
Total: 329

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question about Candida albicans  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Newguy

Question about Candida albicans
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »
Hi everyone

I know I should be asking my doctor and I probably will but I have a question regarding exposure to Candida albicans. This yeast can be problematic in people wth seriously compromised immune systems, and although my immune system is around 330-400 21% I found out in my grad program today that I will be working with it.

During my orientation with the prof, when she explained her research she mentioned that it can be a problem with immunocompromised individuals. I did not disclose to her my status and I prefer not to. Although she would probably be very supportive since her objective is to create drugs to clear pathogens from the human body. But anyhow, I am going to go ahead and take on the project since it sounds interesting but should I be concerned? I mean what if I inhale some in my system? I could wear a mask in the lab I suppose. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated and would go a long way in easing some anxiety.

Offline elf

Re: Question about Candida albicans
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:08:02 pm »
You can use fluconazole as prophylaxis, but ask your doctor...
Candida albicans can appear even in people with great numbers:
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1413-86702007000600016&script=sci_arttext
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:10:01 pm by elf »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »
Hi There,

Good hygiene, is important in helping to  prevent infections with thrush  ( candida albicans).

The only time I had that infection, was back in July of 2003.  At that time, it went deep down into my esophagus, (Esophageal candidiasis), and caused some serious issues. It was diagnosed with an endoscopy, and successfully treated with Diflucan.  I was not on HAART at the time. HAART started around 3 months later.

My t-cells at that time were around 16.  I've never had thrush infection, since that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophageal_candidiasis

This site offers a great lesson and ways to help prevent it:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Candidiasis_6839.shtml

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Candidiasis_6843.shtml

Ray

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:41:25 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:56:34 pm »
She is your boss as well? This is a paid position somehow?  Is that why you don't want to disclose?   How often will you be exposed?   

I dunno but at the very least if she said it is a potential problem, seems to me you must ask your doctor if you can work with it, or not. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:29:26 pm »
If you are at a University doing research with Candida doesn't your lab use  precautions?  Are you not protected?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:48:02 pm »
If you follow proper procedures you shouldn't come in contact with the C. Albicans.  In all microbiology labs that I ever worked, we only worked on fungal cultures inside a protective hood.  You should wear protective clothing, gloves and mask, if needed for what you are doing.
So please do talk with your doctor, but more importantly, IMO, please educate yourself on the proper way to work in a laboratory that contains pathogens.  this is important whether you are POZ or not.

Mike

Offline Newguy

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:48:00 pm »
Thanks to all the fantastic replies! Wow what a community!

I am currently enrolled in a grad program in biotechnology, and I have to do a six credit one year project. The process involves me meeting with a supervisor and then I do a project for them and present it at the end of the year. My supervisor happens to be working on the pathogen Candida albicans, and she mentioned in passing what her research interests were and this is when she mentioned that it can be problem with immuno compromised individuals so her objective is to isolate novel proteins that can be targeted for therapeutic purposes. She knows nothing about my status and frankly speaking unless it is another gay person that I am about to sleep with I am done with disclosing. So, I would rather not bring it up but I was concerned about whether it might be an issue but by reading the replies I think it will be fine. I also left a message with my doctor so he should be getting back to me soon.

Best to all and thank you!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:44:08 am »

My supervisor happens to be working on the pathogen Candida albicans, and she mentioned in passing what her research interests were and this is when she mentioned that it can be problem with immuno compromised individuals so her objective is to isolate novel proteins that can be targeted for therapeutic purposes.

It sounds to me like your supervisor was saying that she is doing the research because C. albicans is a problem for immunocompromised individuals, NOT that she is saying doing the research will be a problem for immunocompromised individuals.

As Mike told you;

If you follow proper procedures you shouldn't come in contact with the C. Albicans.  In all microbiology labs that I ever worked, we only worked on fungal cultures inside a protective hood.  You should wear protective clothing, gloves and mask, if needed for what you are doing.

Your supervisor should be following the proper precautionary procedures herself as well as ensuring her students are too. You can ask her what protective measures are in place for this research without disclosing your hiv status. C. albicans can be a concern for everyone, it just happens to be more bothersome for poz folks like us.

If you're not happy that she's following the correct procedures, talk to your doctor about how you should deal with the situation. It may be that she needs to be reminded about health and safety in a laboratory setting.

Please keep in mind that everyone, poz or neg, has C. albicans in and on their bodies at all times. We also have friendly bacteria in and on our bodies that keep C. albicans in check. It's only when an overgrowth of C. albicans happens that we get problems that are commonly called "thrush" or "yeast" infections. Taking antibiotics will also kill off our friendly bacteria, so many people - again, both poz and neg - can end up with a thrush infection while/after taking a course of antibiotics. I always have since I was a teenager, long before I became poz.

So yeah, there should be precautionary, protective measures and procedures in place for this research. Even a healthy person can end up with a thrush infection if they're over-exposed to C. albicans.

Hope that helps!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.