Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:56:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 234
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Call to Action - Global Pediatric HIV/AIDS Prevention and Treatment Act  (Read 10056 times)

Offline emeraldize

For US site members only: Here is a link to a legislative campaign shown on the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation website which enables you to send the pre-written letter copied below to your legislators.

On behalf of Mini and many children worldwide who could be favorably affected by such legislation, please consider participating and passing to your family, friends and colleagues. Thank you. Em

http://capwiz.com/pedaids/issues/alert/?alertid=10774101

Children around the world affected by HIV/AIDS urgently need your help. Please co-sponsor the Global Pediatric HIV/AIDS Prevention and Treatment Act (S.2472) to expand services to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV and improve access to life-saving HIV/AIDS medicines for children around the world.

The New Year brings new hope, new opportunity, but also new challenges in the fight against HIV/AIDS. Every day, more than 1,100 children across the globe are infected with HIV, the vast majority through mother-to-child transmission. Without proper care and treatment, half of these newly-infected children will die before their second birthday, and 75 percent will die before they turn five. Long-term survival is a dream that eludes most of the 2.5 million HIV-infected children around the world – many have no access to the treatment that could save their lives.

Achieving a dramatic expansion in access to PMTCT services and equal treatment for children will require political leadership and a strong commitment to results. Please support children with HIV/AIDS by co-sponsoring the Global Pediatric HIV/AIDS Prevention and Treatment Act (S.2472).

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: Call to Action - Global Pediatric HIV/AIDS Prevention and Treatment Act
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:59:52 pm »
Thank you so much for posting this, Em!  Our letters have been sent to Senator's Byrd and Rockefeller.  You don't have to know who your Senetors are,or their contact information, the letter automatically sends it to the proper people via email.  After the letter is sent, a window comes up telling you which senetors received your email.  It took literally 20 seconds to fill out.  A window also comes up that gives you the opportunity to fill in email addresses of folks you think would also participate.

Again, thank you so much, Em!

Mum
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 03:01:45 pm by minismom »
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 09:46:07 am »
Mum
You are welcome. I'm glad I bumped into it. It's obviously an issue for which my state's senators have not yet written a statement letter. Perhaps this will prompt them to look closely at the proposed legislation. Em

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 11:03:00 am »
Thanks for bringing this up EM.

I just sent mine.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:57:27 am »
i think it never hurts to give these kinds of thread a bump once in a while just to remind everyone that it takes next to no effort now-a-days to voice your opinion with your gov't officials. Right after emeraldize posted this link, I followed through. I received confirmation emails immediately from the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation website. Today I received this email in response:
Dear Leatherman:

Thank you for contacting me in support of S. 2472, the Global Pediatric HIV/AIDS Prevention and Treatment Act.

Children accounted for 16% of new HIV infections in 2007 – 420,000 cases worldwide – yet they receive only 9% of the treatment resources made available via the United States Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Act of 2003. And with mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) rates still unacceptably high – especially in Africa – a renewed effort to provide global coverage of preventative services is necessary.

S. 2472 would amend the United States Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Act of 2003 by setting new, ambitious targets regarding MTCT prevention and by creating an expert panel – including foreign health ministers and officials from the Department of Health and Human Services and the United States Agency for International Development – on MTCT prevention.

S. 2472 was introduced by Senator Dodd on December 13, 2007 and was referred to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. Should this bill come before me for consideration, I will keep your support in mind.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:15:36 pm »
Mikie

Thank you so much for including a copy of your reply letter.

I'm going to copy it and send it to our state senators who had absolutely nothing relevant to send regarding their position on the legislation.

Em

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:37:09 pm »
Mine is in!  Thanks for posting that info!
I was lucky enough to be involved in a women and transmission study when I was pregnant both times.   The last time I heard and this was 4 yrs ago, they had not had any poz babies in 5 yrs.   It makes me really sad when women do not understand or worse do not care about the consequences of taking care of themselves and taking thier meds.
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:23:51 am »
Mini was the last baby born HIV+ in our state and she's 7 1/2.  Doc is seeing a resurgance of teen infections - males and females - and worries about the increased potential of more baby pozzies being born.

Thanks for taking the time to fill out the letter, snow.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 12:56:32 pm »
I was a wee late on this...but I sent it!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:27:49 pm »
Thank you. It's a good one to pass along to family, friends and colleagues. It's rare that someone doesn't want to benefit children.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 06:53:22 am »
I've noticed we have a lot of new members. To those of you who are US members, please consider reading this thread to familiarize yourself with the issue and then participating. You can also send link to letter to your family, friends and colleagues. This requires input from positive and negative citizens. Thank you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.