Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:13:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 229
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: US food prices increasing sharply  (Read 48893 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
US food prices increasing sharply
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:16:01 am »
Good to read this so I know I'm not imagining things.  I feel like every time I go to the grocery store that I'm paying $20 more for the normal amount I buy per trip.  When you're on a fixed income like I am you REALLY feel this.

complete article

Surging costs of groceries hit home; Bread, eggs, milk prices up sharply

Globe Staff / March 9, 2008
American families, already pinched by soaring energy costs, are taking another big hit to household budgets as food prices increase at the fastest rate since 1990.

After nearly two decades of low food inflation, prices for staples such as bread, milk, eggs, and flour are rising sharply, surging in the past year at double-digit rates, according to the Labor Department. Milk prices, for example, increased 26 percent over the year. Egg prices jumped 40 percent.

Escalating food costs could present a greater problem than soaring oil prices for the national economy because the average household spends three times as much for food as for gasoline. Food accounts for about 13 percent of household spending compared with about 4 percent for gas.

Rising food prices can be particularly corrosive to consumer confidence because people are so frequently exposed to the cost increases. "It's the biggest risk we face economically, and it might be the thing that does us in," said Rich Yamarone, director of economic research at Argus Research Corp. in New York. "There's nothing really worse than having a job, making money, and forking most of it over just so you can have the same amount of food. You're running in place, and it really weighs on you."

As with energy, higher food costs cut into discretionary income that buys everything from cars to computers to movie tickets and drives the consumer-based US economy. Falling home values and a faltering stock market have battered consumer confidence, spurring a retrenchment in spending that is contributing to recent job losses and pulling the economy toward recession.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: US food prices increasing sharply
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:37:23 am »
OK, so its not just me imagining things.

I have just about stopped buying luxury items such as red meat and cheese.

I guess it will help me stick with my low-cholesterol diet.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:00:50 pm »
It's just going to get worse. As the price of oil goes up so will the cost of food. Just about everything is moved on trucks and diesel is so much more expensive than gasoline. Watch for sales and use coupons to stock up on some things.  Usually the Sunday paper has lots of coupons that make the cost of the paper worth the $1.50. Try to shop at places that give double and triple coupon values too. There is plenty you can do to save on food but it takes a little work.

David

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 12:16:01 pm »
Beans and rice...a girls best friend...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline ademas

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:26:08 pm »
I'm definitely feeling the pinch...and most of my shopping involves sales and coupons already.

Gas at the local budget station was $3.43/gal yesterday--just under $35 to fill my sub-compact.

Rent increases are due May 1st.  That's going to be another $100 per month.  They blame the mortgage crisis for the increase in demand for rentals.

Thank goodness for our Dear Leader.  It was such a relief to hear that our economy is in good shape, and that we're just having a slow month...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
Thank goodness I don't own a car... hence no gas purchases.  It's all about urban living.  Plus I get some good exercise lugging my increasingly expensive bags of groceries home back 5 blocks and up 4 flights of stairs.  I own one of those carts like old ladies use, but I never use it except for laundry day.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 01:00:55 pm »
I want one of these...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 01:08:58 pm »
I hates clippin' dem coupons, but don'tcha know I been doin' it.  And even the coupons have been suckin' lately.

"Save 50 cents when you buy 5" and that BS.  Whoop de doo.

Heh...yeah.  Our fearless leader.  Loved that bit about, "I wasn't aware about the gas prices going up so much."

Here's a little challenge:  Name one area - just ONE - that has improved under dipshit's leadership.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:12:44 pm »

Here's a little challenge:  Name one area - just ONE - that has improved under dipshit's leadership.

Condi has much better taste in clothing than Madelaine Albright.

Offline jammerz

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 01:15:25 pm »

How about the fact that there has not been another 9/11 like attack on the United States? How does that sound for success?

Or maybe another 3000+ people dead would make you happy?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:19:01 pm by jammerz »
HIV+ since June 2005. Taking Prezista/r and Nevirapine.

Offline ademas

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »

Offline jammerz

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 01:24:48 pm »
Oh yeah, its live bait because I am happy the US has not had another terrorist attack. Yeah, thats so inflammatory.  ::)
Maybe I really care about the security and safety of the citizens of my countries. Maybe I am not a traitor who wants to sell intelligence secrets to the terrorists. Maybe you don't understand.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 01:25:25 pm »
WOW. So I guess we can buy some bait and catch our own food with it. Very clever.

David

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 01:27:09 pm »

No, it wouldn't.  Or should I say - it hasn't.  Since we've lost those thousands since in Iraq.  

But, hey...I'm with ya.  Let's give Georgie his due.  Dinosaurs HAVE NOT reclaimed domination of the earth...so let's give W the credit for that.  Mount St. Helens has NOT erupted during his tenure, so of course we have W to thank for that as well.  An asteroid has NOT crashed into the earth killing millions, so again W.  You're right.  What was I thinking?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jammerz

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 01:28:49 pm »
those are natural disasters, not man made events. I fail to see the connection.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 01:38:42 pm »
those are natural disasters, not man made events. I fail to see the connection.

i'm sure it's not the only connection you fail to make.  the point is that you are giving credit for non-events, things that haven't happened.  that's just plain stupid.  you have no way of knowing how many such things absolutely would have happened absent W's watch.  but i understand that it's about all that you can possibly cling to given that everything else is in such rampant disarray. 

now if you'll excuse me, i'm off to eat one hell of an expensive cheeseburger (to return to topic here).  i intend to enjoy it without being annoyed by trivial minds.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jammerz

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 01:43:35 pm »
He PREVENTED IT. No there is no way to tell the future, but he is tough on terror. Liberals want us to hug the terrorists and take away our guns. Terrorists do not communicate effectively which is why they have to result to terror to get their points across. I bet if there was another attack you would be blaming it on Bush. Stop getting your information from Marxist news sources and read something a little less biased.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 01:51:10 pm »
Stop getting your information from Marxist news sources and read something a little less biased.

Boy....you're one tough Customer, aren't ya?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 01:55:22 pm »
How about the fact that there has not been another 9/11 like attack on the United States? How does that sound for success?

Excuse me, but 9/11 happened while George Bush was President.  That an attack took place on his watch and was not prevented like the Y2K LA airport bombing hardly constitutes a signal measure of success.  ***

Haven't you noticed that the most anti-Bush part of the country is where 9/11 happened?

Assurbanipal

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 08:41:57 am by Assurbanipal »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 02:14:54 pm »
Boy....you're one tough Customer, aren't ya?

I was just going to say, this all sounds very familiar.......

*waiting for the links to come out*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 02:19:25 pm »
My thread has been destroyed.

*sigh*

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 02:21:23 pm »
Well, back to the subject, I know I've been hitting more food banks lately.  Now I plan my grocery list around what I get from them (food banks).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 02:23:30 pm »
Beans and rice...a girls best friend...
thank you...shoot
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 02:27:37 pm »
thank you...shoot

once i've had a mess of beans, i'm nobody's friend.   :'(
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 02:31:07 pm »
I know this is a bit early but on cow appreciation day you can go into a Chick Fil-A and get a free meal if you dress as a cow. Here is the info. so you can get busy with your costume.

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/downloads/CFA_CAD_1pgr.pdf

David

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 02:35:11 pm »
I once dressed as a cow for Halloween.  Had my udders filled with Pina Colada mix so people could milk me.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 02:37:20 pm »
I once dressed as a cow for Halloween.  Had my udders filled with Pina Colada mix so people could milk me.

god, you make it too easy...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 02:40:21 pm »
I'm going to start eating more chicken.  I eat too much red meat as it is, splurging weekly on expensive large rib eye steaks.  I just can't help it.  My monthly grocery bills are fairly horrendous.  I easily spend $50/month just on coffee when I indulge my current fetish for organic fair trade whole beans.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 02:41:16 pm »
Thunter I would be udderly disapointed then if you don't go take advantage of that offer  :o

David

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 02:44:49 pm »

You're nothing but a tease and you know it. :-*

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 02:47:42 pm »
I'm going to start eating more chicken.  I eat too much red meat as it is, splurging weekly on expensive large rib eye steaks.  I just can't help it.  My monthly grocery bills are fairly horrendous.  I easily spend $50/month just on coffee when I indulge my current fetish for organic fair trade whole beans.

god, coffee is so expensive and I'm so addicted that I've resorted to "borrowing" my beans from work. Luckily they purchase high quality for our customers. I can't drink anything but freshly ground.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 02:51:05 pm »
god, you make it too easy...

it should be noted that i wore an angry expression on my face (i was supposed to be "mad cow").  as the evening wore on and i got increasingly buzzed, that part of the get up fell by the wayside.  then i was just plain "cow".
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 02:55:04 pm »
it should be noted that i wore an angry expression on my face (i was supposed to be "mad cow").  as the evening wore on and i got increasingly buzzed, that part of the get up fell by the wayside.  then i was just plain "cow".

by the end of the evening and your pants were down around your ankles, it was

"How now brown cow?"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 02:59:06 pm »
by the end of the evening and your pants were down around your ankles, it was

"How now brown cow?"

of course it was.  my long-standing slutty reputation was at steak.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 03:04:33 pm »
I can't drink anything but freshly ground.

elitist

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 03:06:41 pm »

Offline jammerz

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 03:06:56 pm »
of course it was.  my long-standing slutty reputation was at steak.

stake, turncoathunter34

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 03:08:57 pm »

stake, turncoathunter34

um...."cow"...."steak".  get it?

(she's a quick one, that jammerz)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 03:19:15 pm »
Geez...even I got the "steak" comment  :-\

I totally agree with you, philly!

I could easily go through 2 gallons of milk a day and it is nothing for us to use a loaf of bread a day(which is over $10 bucks).  I always buy ground turkey instead of ground beef.  I hate when the coupons are .50 off when you buy 3, what a deal.

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 03:23:14 pm »
I know we are a thrifty lot but just in case you have not seen this try coupons.com  you can put in your zip code to get some coupons tailored to your area.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 03:29:27 pm »
you can put in your zip code to get some coupons tailored to your area.

which will probably leave me wth nifty deals on fertilizer, bait and chicken feed.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 03:32:10 pm »
Aren't you in Georgia?  Peanuts man. PEANUTS.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 04:32:11 pm »
Here is another free offer. This one from Arby's for a medium curly fry, tomorrow March 10th only at participating Arbys.

http://www.arbys.com/admin_upload/press_rlse/MMMediaAlert%20ks(2).pdf

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 05:32:01 pm »
Don't eat at Arby's if you're on Kaletra.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 05:40:39 pm »
I am not on Kaletra but I am interested in knowing why Arby's would adversly affect those on Kaletra.

David

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 05:45:04 pm »
Those Beef 'N' Cheddar combos are a guaranteed Explosive D Experience® that can even break through a 10mg imodium barrier, IMHO.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 05:46:03 pm »
What about "White Castles?" You don't have to be taking any medication.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 05:47:34 pm »
Oh girl... White Castle is dear to my heart.  I used to live 3 blocks from one in Brooklyn, and sometimes I'd still go for the #2 combo even during a Diarrhea Day.  I swear those fluffy burgers go through your body in about 10 minutes.

Plus I adore a fast food place that has bullet proof windows and a little hole where you order your food at the counter.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 05:53:04 pm »
I start with the beef and cheddar then I have a bacon beef and cheddar and then a super roast beef sammich and a reuben to go. No THATS living.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 05:55:29 pm »
I just go to the Chinese Buffet and eat all I want.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.