Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:47:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: What do you think of iDiagnostics?  (Read 39387 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Protected Sex
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2007, 03:55:27 pm »
worried,

Your list looks good to me except for number one. There's no point in asking a person's status. It's not that many positive people lie about their status, because most don't, but it's because many people ASSUME or DON'T KNOW their status. I was positive for four years before I knew my status and if you'd asked me during that four years, I would have said I was hiv negative. And I would have been wrong.

You need to take the stance that anyone you have intercourse with is hiv positive until proven otherwise, and proven within the context of a securely monogamous relationship where you have tested hiv negative together. Until such time, use condoms. Sexual intercourse with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever. You can have all the sex you like, just make sure you use condoms and use them correctly. You can practice with condoms by yourself so when it comes to the crucial moment, you know what you're doing and can do it in the dark if need be. You can also find ways of putting on condoms so that it forms part of your foreplay.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2007, 05:11:16 pm »
Ann,

I guess what you are saying is that question 1 is irrelevant because someone might not know their status but following my other rules for myself will keep me negative and safe.

I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me so that I can have a sexually fulfilling life without all the anxiety.

You are DA BOMB!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2007, 05:56:17 pm »
worried,

Yep, you got it! ;)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007, 03:08:04 pm »
Ann/Andy/Etc..

I had protected receptive anal sex last week but my partner did not ejaculate.  my only concern is that my partner used lotion as lubricant.  I know it should have been lube and I feel stupid.  I know the condom stayed intact the whole time as I saw him take it off.

I am surmising that you should not use lotion because it could cause a condom to break easier and that if it didnt break then there is no need to worry.

I know, stupid question but wanted to ask anyways.  Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2007, 04:09:02 pm »
Worried,

The condom didn't break, so what are you worried about? Oil based lubes can weaken a latex condom, yes, but it doesn't necessarily automatically result in breakage.

Please read the three condom and lube links in my signature line for a condom refresher course. Keep using them correctly and consistently and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2007, 06:11:26 pm »
Another question.  I gave oral to a man for approximately 30 seconds with no ejaculation; not sure about precum.  My only concern is I had an infection cut out my gum and a bone graft done on the outsideof my last bottom tooth in my mouth 9 days before.  My stitches had already dissolved (day6 ) and I hadnt had any blood in a few days.  I know there is still a hole in my mouth but not a wound. 

Would this be cause for concern? Or does there need to be an open wound with access to blood?

Lastly, the lesson says that there is a viral load test that measures the amount of virus in your blood if you just cant wait 3 months.  It seems that there is a risk of false positives but not false negatives.  I read (other sites) after 7 days this test would identify viral copies if you were positive otherwise you would be negative.  Could you elaborate?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2007, 05:43:18 am »
worried,

Answer to your first question - no, it does't sound to me like you need to be worried.

Second question - it doesn't matter what test you use early on in the window period: a positive result must still be confirmed with a positive ELISA and a positive Western Blot, and a negative result must be confirmed with a negative ELISA at three months. There is no true short cut when it comes to diagnosing or ruling out hiv when there has been a true risk.

We do not encourage viral load testing for diagnostic purposes for this reason, coupled with the fact that false positives are possible. It just isn't worth the stress people go through when this happens.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2007, 11:21:16 am »
So it sounds like I dont need testing over this incident.  I have a girlfriend that we have unprotected sex after we both had negative HIV tests.   This is my first incidence since I have been with her and always want to make sure I am safe. Thanks as usual as you are the only guys you can ask questions.

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2007, 08:17:47 pm »
Ann/Andy/Etc..

It has been just over 3 weeks and still trying to shake this feeling I have which I know is unreasonable based on protected sex.  However, I have been in a more humid climate (I live in a dry climate) the past 11 days and have been experiencing a dry throat (not really sore) and intermittant headaches.  Went to urgent care today and he said that the lymph nodes weren't swollen and the throat wasnt red and I had no fever.  Would a sore throat associated with HIV Primary Infection be red?  Wouldnt i have fever and enlarged lymph nodes?  I am hoping its sinus or allergies.  The doctor kinda sucked. When I spoke to him about HIV concerns he was talking about having to test out for a year.  Definitely didnt help my state of mind.

I've tried to stay off the thread, just needing some support.  Some of us just shouldnt have sex because we get so darn worried; thank god for you guys/gals.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2007, 04:10:05 am »
worried,

Sometimes when a person is anxious, it can cause a feeling of tightness in the throat, which can then be mistaken for a "sore" throat. As the doctor didn't see anything amiss, chances are excellent this is where your throat problem is originating. If it keeps bothering you, see another doctor.

What ever is going on has nothing to do with the protected intercourse you had.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
Received Blowjob, Was Rimmed, HIV Risk
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »
I am sure this will be laughable, but you guys help out a lot when the OCD kicks in.  About 9 weeks ago, a guy gave me a blow job and rimed me.  Thats all that occurred.  He did spit as he was rimming me.  I got tested for Gnorrhea, Chlymidia and Syphllis about 12 days after the encounter and was negative.

About 9 weeks later, my throat started hurting and I do have a slight fever with some pressure in the head and around the eyes.

I just wnat to confirm the following:

1.  8 weeks 4 days is way past when ARS symptoms would show up
2.  Do I have to worry about contracting HIV?  I'm guessing my risk was 0.

I'm almost positive I know the answer, but it always helps to have the experts say it.  Thanks guys, you are always there.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2008, 06:43:35 pm »
Worried,

This isn't an OCD website. I suggest you seek therapy for your OCD - we cannot help you with that here.

You've been around long enough now to know that neither getting a blowjob nor being rimmed are hiv risks. Do not continue to post about this incident, or you will be quickly timed out.

Go get help for your OCD, instead of posting here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
What do you think of iDiagnostics?
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2008, 11:02:47 am »
Ann/Andy,

Had protected receptive anal and the condom didnt break and gave and received oral without ejaculation.  I know I probably dont need to test over this incident as you would state it is no risk (would you agree), however, I am curious to what you think about the new iDiagnositc test.  I included a link so you could check it out.  Ann - I thought you might know about it since it is distributed in the EU.

http://www.idiagnosticsco.com/

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: What do you think of iDiagnostics?
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2008, 06:54:40 am »
worried,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread yet again. Stop starting new threads.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

I think that test is crap and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's also not an approved test. The ONLY approved home test is Home Access.

And you're right, once again you're testing unnecessarily.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
Concerned about brief anal penetration
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2010, 10:53:45 am »
I had hoped that I wouldnt need the forum again but I did something really stupid; especially after reading Ann's responses in the past concerning frottage and thinking that would be me.  Regardless, a couple of days ago I had trimmed up my pubs and slightly knicked myself at the base on my penis shaft.  About 13 hours later, I hooked up with a guy.  I had never topped a guy before and he really wanted me to try it so I put on a condom and gave it a whirl.  The condom did not cover my nick from earlier in the day and I am not sure if that was exposed.  After a few minutes, I realized i didnt enjoy topping and pulled out (condom still intact).  We then engaged in frottage (no condom on) and I guess we both moved in such a way that I slid inside him without a condom.  This lasted for one stroke and not more than a couple of seconds.  Within 5 minutes I had washed everything up in the shower.  I was completely freaked out and shameful that I allowed my self to get into that position.  I went to my doctor and he put me on Truveda for 30 days - not loving the side effects and have a whole new appreciation for what HIV infected individuals have to go through in taking their meds.

Do you think I have to worry about the nick?  What about the very brief unprotected penetration?  And how effective is Truveda - I started taking within 13 to 14 hours of incident.Thanks everyone.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Concerned about brief anal penetration
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14:53 am »
   Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

Offline worried1972

• Standard
Re: Concerned about brief anal penetration
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2010, 11:21:23 am »
sorry - I dont know how to merge into original thread.  Havent posted in a couple of years and had to get a new link to setup a new password.  If you let me know how to do it, I would be happy to put in my original thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2010, 11:37:40 am »
Worried, I have merged your threads here. Should you wish to write something again please be sure to do it in this same thread.

Your risk during that very brief insertion was very low. I'm not sure I would even think PEP to have been indicated but you're on it now. You do need to know that your time for counting to test at 13 weeks begins from when you have completed PEP. In other words you can get a conclusive and what I expect will be a negative result at 13 weeks after you complete the medication.

I don't see that nicked area as being a risk for transmission.

Get busy with other things while you're waiting to test. Ultimately I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 11:44:40 am »
Worried,

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

I agree with Andy. The nick isn't a concern and you really didn't need PEP for a brief insertion. I fully expect you to come out of this hiv negative, PEP or no PEP.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2010, 01:13:44 pm »
Should i quit taking PEP (Truvada)?  The doctor felt it was better to be safe since I didnt know status of the person.   He did think the chance without PEP was small.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2010, 02:11:31 pm »
Worried,

It's up to you and your doctor whether or not you continue with the PEP. You'll have to weigh your concerns about the very small risk involved against how the side-effects are making you feel. If it were me I wouldn't bother with the PEP, but you'll have to make your own mind up.

I fully expect you to test negative either way, regardless of your partner's hiv status.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 11:28:39 am »
Thanks Ann!.  Not really experiencing  side effects so will probably stay on just to be safe.  I am seeing doctor again after xmas but wanted to ask a couple of questions before I ask him.  I have seen where everyone seems to be put on Truvada and Kaletra whereas I am only on Truvada.  Should i be on another medicine?  Lastly, the doctor said I will have to test out to 12/13 weeks to be conclusive but stated an HIV DNA test would be 98/99% accurate after I quit taking the PEP as although the PEP would affect viral load and thus antibodies, it wouldnt affect DNA. 

Thanks Andy/Ann for your help.  I learned so much from this forum and have always been so very safe so I am disappointed in myself that I am back here.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2010, 11:04:37 am »
worried,

Truvada is an accepted combo for PEP. In your case adding Kaletra would be overkill. You don't really need PEP in the first place.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2010, 07:01:17 am »
Thanks Ann.  Glad I went on PEP, just found out I got Gonorrhea fron that brief insertion that I have to be treated for.  Contacted the person I was with and although before they said they were HIV- before, they are being cagey about everything after letting them know about the STD and asking them to go get tested with me.

Amazing how one stroke unprotected can really mess you up.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2010, 08:07:15 am »
Having contracted gonorrhea from that incident does not change the very low risk you had for HIV transmission. I still expect you to test negative for HIV.

And asking the other person to get tested is not relevant either. For now and the future you need to remember that the only negative test result that matters for you is your own.
Andy Velez

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2010, 08:10:04 am »
Andy - I read on the internet that if a person has Gonorrhea, that they are significantly more likely to transmit HIV.  That is what kept me up all night.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2010, 09:46:01 am »
No, you have it mixed up. If someone has an active case of gonorrhea they are more susceptible to getting HIV if they have a risky incident. In your case you picked up gono from the person who had it. She was the one at greater risk for HIV.

Quite worrying. I expect you to come out of this ok. 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2010, 10:03:21 am »
Worried,

What a way to learn a lesson, eh? The bacterial STIs like gonorrhea and chlamydia are MUCH MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv could ever hope to be. You can get the bacterial infections from just engaging in frottage, for example, but you won't get hiv from frottage.

Like Andy, I still fully expect you to ultimately test hiv negative.

Seriously.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2010, 01:11:21 pm »
Andy - thanks for clarifying that for me; some of the literature can be confusing.

Ann - I love to learn lessons the hard way (dripping with sarcasm). 

Just got back from one week check up and least doctor let me know that he has put a significant number of people on PEP and 100%who started within 24 hours did not seroconvert.  He also confirmed the STD would not have any impact on HIV transmission.  I hope both of you have a very Merry X-Mas and hopefully I can just get through all of this.

Either way, I appreciate both of your support once again as you have helped get me through a very tough week.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2010, 02:29:29 pm »
You need to stop browsing on the web. Really. Because I can guarantee you that if you keep on looking there you are going to find material there to feed your worst fears. All to no good purpose of course.
So cut it out!

We've already told you that we expect you to come out of this incident ok. You have some waiting time to get through and frankly we're not going to continue going through every additional blip of anxiety and doubts that may come up during that time. You need to make a real effort to focus your attention on other matters in your life while waiting to test. And don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because I can tell you that kind of response won't fly here.

Like I said we expect you to come out of this ok. 
Andy Velez

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2010, 09:56:05 am »
Thanks Andy.  I have been working at remaining busy to keep my mind off things.  Doctor let me know results were negative for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia and thus it was NSU/NGU and not really an std but bacteria infection.  Also touched base with the guy and he is going to get tested wtih me this week which is nice.

Hope you guys had a merry xmas.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2010, 10:17:52 am »
I continue to expect you to test negative.

Meantime get busy with other things and I don't mean scanning the web for stuff to scare yourself with.
Andy Velez

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2011, 07:54:20 pm »
Andy/Ann,

Hope you had a good holiday season.  I am finally taking my last dose of PEP tomorrow.  Not sure why people think it would promote unsafe behaviour as this medication sucks.  With the completion, my Doctor  wants to do an RNA test 2 weeks after PEP completion.  SF City clininc also does this test 2 weeks post PEP.  They both feel this test is highly indicative (they havent seen anyone who didnt have an additional risk during or post PEP test positive later) of status.   I let him know the information I had read against RNA testing and he feels I should take the test.  He still believes I need to test out to 12/13 weeks (again at 6 weeks).

I wanted to get your opinion.  I had RNA testing done in the past and never tested positive.  How do the false positives happen?   

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2011, 08:40:28 pm »
PCR-RNA tests are not stand alone tests and must be use in conjunction with an antibody test. Big waste of money. You can obtain a conclusive negative test result 3 months post your last dose on nPEP.

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2011, 12:58:43 am »
I would not be going through any kind of testing service.  This was recommended by my doctor and covered under insurance.  Just wanted to clarify.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 02:20:05 am »
I would not be going through any kind of testing service.  This was recommended by my doctor and covered under insurance.  Just wanted to clarify.

If I was in your predicament and my doctor made such a recommendation, I would turn it down.

Why? Because as Roddles notes a PCR test will have to be confirmed with an antibody test in any event. Just wait and have the inevitable antibody test.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 10:06:34 am »
Worried,

It is more the DNA test that has a reputation for false positives.

As you didn't really need PEP in the first place, an RNA test is overkill. If you feel comfortable in charging your insurance company for unnecessary tests, then go for it, but remember that you are contributing to the healthcare problem in the States. As has been stated, you will still need antibody testing to confirm your negative status - which I'm fully expecting to be the case.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 10:48:33 am »
Thanks Ann.  I will let my doctor know that I will wait 6 weeks for antibody test and follow up at 12/13 weeks.  Is one rapid test (saliva vs 2nd vs 3rd generation test) better than the other at 6 weeks?  Hopefully last comment until I can post 6 week test results, why do some people say you have to test out to 6 months?

Once again, I apologize for taking your time.  This was unexpected (did not want to dip) and I have heeded your advice in the past around safe sex/condom usage and followed to a tee.  Heck, I havent even done anal in the last couple of years due to risk of condom breakage.

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 10:52:10 am »
sorry.  one thing bothering me.  Why did you believe the nick had no cause from concern.  It was 13 hours before exposure and was on my shaft and bled.  I immediately took a warm shower and it didnt bleed anymore and was healed in a couple of days.  If that nick came into contact with anal secretions, wouldnt that be high risk?  I am hoping that you are right and I have nothing to worry about or that this PEP worked.

Thanks you so much.  My anxiety is getting up there with testing looming.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 11:04:34 am »
worried,

The nick isn't a concern because any fluids that might have come into contact with it were OUTSIDE the body and hiv is not capable of infecting cells once it is outside the body. Small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.

Hiv really is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus. If it wasn't, 90% of the world's population would have it by now. Kinda like the common cold - everyone has had a flu virus at some point in their life.

I have no idea why some people continue to recommend six month testing. That was done away with years ago. I fully expect the window period to be shortened to six weeks sometime soon.

The only real difference in test generations is that the newer generations can detect hiv sooner than others. However, any generation will normally detect hiv by the six week point.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2011, 11:06:41 am »
Ann - my only concern is that when I was penetrating him with a condom, it did not roll down far enough to cover the nick and I could have been inside him with the nick. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:37 am »
Worried,

Regardless, I still fully expect you to test negative.

Now go get busy with some other aspect of your life before you drive yourself nuts and take us with you!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »
Ann - I can't guarantee i won't feel crazy till this is past me, but I will refrain from posting until my 6 week test results so I dont make you guys crazy with me.  :)  I feel like I relive the experience every day and get all pissed off at myself all over again.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2011, 09:34:18 pm »
Fortunately feelings are not facts even if they "feel" as if they are. Just do what Ann said and get busy with other things in your life. That can be done and it's amazing how much easier it makes the time pass until you get tested. No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline worried1972

• Standard
Frottage/Brief Unprotected Dip/Cut on Penis
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2011, 02:48:14 pm »
I know that I will get somewhat villified for this question, but I really do seek to understand.  If Doctors agree that if PEP fails, then HIV RNA would be replicating like crazy, why wouldnt you want to get an RNA test 2 to 4 weeks after exposure (if not on PEP) or completion of PEP to get a conclusive result?  My understanding is that the RNA would have to get high for antibodies to develop so why not figure it out sooner than later so you can either address treatment options or stop worrying.

The one point I can understand is Ann's around healthcare insurance cost or individual cost.  However, I cant understand an arguement other than that.  Even SF City Clinic which probably has more experience than anyone with HIV(RNA is standard for them) believes for post PEP that a two week is almost gold and a 4 week is conclusive.  These guys don't have a hidden agenda, just a lot of experience.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2011, 03:32:06 pm »
Here at AIDSMeds, we deal with questions from all over the USA, and indeed, all over the globe.  Many areas of the world (and some in the US) do not use the most recent, most accurate testing procedures.  For those with access to truly state-of-the-art facilities and tests, I would tend to agree with the SF City Clinic.

But please understand that the persons like yourself who post here are not the norm. Many people do not recall the date of their exposure (real or perceived) and we would always rather err on the side of accuracy.

The antibody test remains the gold standard worldwide, and even though Massachusetts years ago lowered the testing window to six weeks rather than three months, we cannot in good conscience use that standard until it is globally recognized and used.

That having been said, I really believe you will not be satisfied until you receive every test available at every junction. You took PEP when it was not warranted, and are taking advanced and frequent tests for an infection that, scientifically, you can not have incurred through the experience as you describe it.

It actually makes me irritated with your physician for playing into your unfounded fears, rather than referring you to someone with whom you can work to resolve them.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2011, 04:08:20 pm »
Jk - thanks for the response and I understand the logic.  However, I will not feel the need to get another test past a 4 week negative RNA.   however, there seems to be much debate across the internet regarding exposure as well as testing and especially so with PEP.  Although my risk was low, it was within PEP guidelines with the fact I had brief unprotected insertive anal with a male of unknown status.

My question was regarding testing.  If you note, I have not been back to aidsmeds in two years because I understood everything Ann and Andy said regarding exposure and testing.  This exposure was not planned and completely accidental.  I am only asking the questions as this (PEP) is a new situation.  But I very much appreciate your guidance and will go with the SF City clinic guidelines of 4 weeks conclusive.  I really do hope that I prove everyone here right in that they expect me to test negative.  I will post results in 3.5 weeks.

Thank You.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:55 pm »
Once again I STRONGLY urge you to focus on other things in your life. You are way too caught up in what is ultimately just more guesswork.

And we continue to expect you to test negative. Do yourself a favor and get on with your life while you're waiting to test. And I will believe that the negative result at that point will get you to let go of this obsession when we stop hearing from you with "just one more question."
Andy Velez

Offline worried1972

• Standard
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2011, 04:36:19 pm »
Andy - was just asking the question about the RNA test at 4 weeks which Jk answered was conclusive.  I wont post again until I take the test in 3 weeks and get the results.  I have yet to test and really just want to get one test to put this behind me and not go through that waiting period to hear the results.

I really don't mean to be a pest.  I had taken your and Ann's advice to heart from past experiences and have been unbelievably safe; this one was completely accidental and has freaked me out.  I know odds are siginifcantly in my favor, but it was a risk I didnt plan and thus dealing with it.  Thanks for your support.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2011, 04:52:22 pm »
OK. Good luck to you. I expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.