Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:12:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 526
Total: 526

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and Human Resources  (Read 3873 times)

Offline snoofle

HIV and Human Resources
« on: September 12, 2012, 02:59:14 pm »
My boyfriend has recently suffered quite a few setbacks in his health (HIV related inflammation in brain and subsequent brain surgery; a grand mal seizure at work; and a few endocrine related issues). As a result of all these issues, he has been placed on federal medical leave by his job until his issues resolved. He also had back surgery in 2006 and has been suffering from terrible back and leg pain for years. He finally got MRIs of his back and hips done and they found severe nerve clumping in his lower back (which could have been exacerbated by his prior bouts of cryptococcus meningitis), as well as necrosis in both hips, which would require bilateral hip replacement surgery. Since all of these things are going on, he has decided it would probably be his best bet to try to get on long term disability till these issues are resolved and hes 100% better to work.

We had his ID doctor fill out some of the initial HR paperwork and his ID put down that he is taking HIV meds, TB meds, and crypto meds. We explained our concern, b/c he has never disclosed to anyone at his workplace, but his doctor said he felt more comfortable disclosing everything, so that it could potentially help his long term disability claim.

My question is, does anyone know if HR representatives have a legal obligation to keep this information private? We do not want his HR telling his boss or really anyone else about this information. We tried asking a few people, but no one seems to have a clear answer. I know it would be a moral and ethical obligation to keep it quiet, but I think it is obvious, that moral and ethics can be overridden. Just want to make sure that any and all info would be protected and private. Any insight would be appreciated.

Offline Blue75

Re: HIV and Human Resources
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 05:53:46 am »
From my understanding, everybody who is given confidential medical information falls under the hippa laws. I was told that anyone who discloses any kind of medical status to anyone, couldd be sued. I'm surprised HR even had to be directly involved as it should have gone between doctors & insurance, but I don't know much. Either way, nothing specific needs to be divulged and a "medical condition" is a good enough explanation for the nosey people.
Husband:
2/14/12 Tested HIV+
3/16/12: CD4-216, VL-56,500
5/4/12: Started Atripla
5/7/12: CD4-184, VL-12,000 (Taken off Atripla after 3 days, awaiting liver testing) Started antibiotics.

Offline harleymc

Re: HIV and Human Resources
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:03:11 pm »
HR departments are under obligation to not disclose this info. There can be bad apples in every workplace but I'd be 99.999% happy and confident with an HR department knowing.

Lets face it if your brother is going on longterm disability then his boss won't be his boss much longer anyway.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.