Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:29:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Will Swine Flu Vaccine Plan Give Priority to HIV+ People?  (Read 2820 times)

Offline GNYC09

Will Swine Flu Vaccine Plan Give Priority to HIV+ People?
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:22:09 pm »
There was an article in today's New York Times about how the U.S. *might* have 120 million doses of swine flu vaccine ready by October.  A panel of health experts recommended that those 120 million doses be first given to the following people in this priority order:
Pregnant women
People in contact with infants
Healthcare workers
People 6 months-24 years old

High risk adults would get whatever (if any) vaccine remains.  The rest of the U.S. population would be next in line.  The NYT defined "high risk adults" as "people ages 25 to 64 with medical problems like asthma, diabetes or heart disease."  Hello??  What about people with compromised immune systems??  This article freaked me out because my CD4 count is ~345+I'm still recuperating from PCP and I don't know if I could survive a flu like this.  As a result, I've spoken to my doctor and he said that people with compromised immune systems would be "bumped up the line".  

So, if you're immunocompromised, you might find it worthwhile to let your doctor know that you're interested in getting this vaccine as soon as it's available...

Offline Basquo

Re: Will Swine Flu Vaccine Plan Give Priority to HIV+ People?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:36:25 am »
While I'm usually a huge advocate of getting a flu shot every year, I'm going to hold out for a few months on this one. I want to make sure no one's keeling over first.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:45:16 pm »
The swine flu vaccine is under trails as I type... young children, health care employees, elderly and compromised chronically Ill people willbe first inline...but, only if the vaccine is proven effective... this vaccine does not cancel out the regular flu vaccine either... so both willbe given... I always get the flu vaccine and I will likely be in line for this flu vaccine is given the ok! and I would recommend it to anyone when its becomes available. A man just died in Birmingham, AL yesterday in his  age early 50's with a compromised immune system from the h1-n1 virus (swine Flu)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:59:52 pm »
According to report aired on NPR today, pregnant women will be first in line.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:07:52 pm »
Good news from POZ magazine...

"August 21, 2009

Study: No Evidence That HIV Worsens Swine Flu Mortality Risk, Complications

Obesity and diabetes are the two main underlying conditions associated with death in people with H1N1 virus (swine flu), according to a new study published in the August 20 edition of Eurosurveillance as reported by aidsmap.com. The authors, from the French Institute of Public Health, do not cite HIV as a mortality risk factor.

Furthermore, HIV-positive people are not thought to be at increased risk for contracting H1N1, nor are they thought to be at greater risk for developing swine flu complications unless their CD4 count drops below 200.

The study—which examined H1N1-associated deaths before July 16—also found respiratory disease and heart disease to be underlying risk factors. Immunosuppression was reported in 16 patients, including five cancer cases, two transplantation patients and three people with autoimmune disease.

Of the 564 H1N1-related deaths identified, detailed information was available for only 213. "

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:16:53 am »
I don't trust what the media says.  I read somewhere that pregnant women would be first in line in the UK, only to then read that everyone in higher risk groups would be first in line (not just pregnant women).  I think they are buying enough for the entire population here.

I wouldn't panic, there should be plenty to cover all of us in the higher risk groups.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 12:07:01 pm »
The head of my clinic stated on Friday that they had no information as to the prioritization of HIV patients with the H1N1 vaccine....so it's "wait and see" for us.  He did indicate that the clinic might prioritize those with fewer T-cells/in poorer overall health to be the first to receive it after it is received by the clinic.

We will receive our regular flu shots sometime in October.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.