Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 358
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I am back here again, been trying to work on things.  (Read 4607 times)

bleueyes

I am back here again, been trying to work on things.
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:03:49 pm »
Hello, I have been away from here for a while, things were going very weird. I discovered I do not want to be with anyone right now.
Since coming on here last I've done the research to find out that things my ex-husband has said were false. We as positive people can have careers, and get health insurance.
I am always looking forward to being on my own and for once taking care of myself and not having the life sucked out of me. Yeah it could be selfish, but my Mother worked as well as my father. And my older sister had her own family, so we all had to help. As long as I pay taxes, who cares if I work and I am not married.
I will be able to put puzzles together, cook and eat whatever I want. Also take my daughter out places and spend the rest of my life raising her.
What I want is my own sewing room, reading room with plenty of books as I have collected some already, and nice old lady kitchen nic-nacs.
What can I do as an HIV positive woman? That's a question I'm sure most people will help me with as long as I talk to the correct and knowledgable people. For starters... my doctor.

Offline Sheri

Re: I am back here again, been trying to work on things.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:35:59 am »
I was writing a reply, but I lost it before finishing it.

You should check out some organizations to help you in your career pursuits.  Visit a Workforce Development Center for job listings and information on programs that offer financial assistance for career training.  Check out a community college or university near you to find out about admission requirements.  Talk to a guidance counselor if possible, and also a financial aid counselor.  It would also be beneficial to go to an ASO (AIDS Service Organization) near you and see about linking up with a caseworker to see what programs they offer, or how they can connect you to some resources in your city, such as housing assistance, employment programs, child care, applying for SSI if necessary, Ryan White, ADAP, etc.

Offline emeraldize

Re: I am back here again, been trying to work on things.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 02:57:37 am »
"What can I do as an HIV positive woman?" There is only one answer I can provide and that is...
What would you like to do?

You know you want spend time with your daughter, raising her and going various places with her. You know you want independence. You want to cook and eat things you enjoy. You know you want to have a sewing room and reading room and a place where you can display your "old lady" knick knacks.

This is great!

You also know you're willing to work, pay taxes and investigate to get firsthand the accurate information you need to see the world squarely.

Also great!

So, it's apparent you've spent some real time thinking about and envisioning the life you would like to have for yourself and your daughter. Now, there are just a couple of steps left.

Envision what you might enjoy or moderately like or worst case, tolerate, doing to earn a living. Envision whether that will or will not require some training or do you already possess the skills you need. Talk to some people in those jobs or areas of work. Ask what's required. Ask if they know of open positions.

Weave in Sheri's advice. Get your medical ducks in a row. Seek any financial advice you may need. Make sure to put yourself in a position to succeed. Believe it or not, there are many people in this world who are willing to help with information, if you are ready to ask. You will soon see the truth in the adage " when the student is ready, the teacher appears."

As you go through this process, it's not a bad idea to write your goals and options down. Over time, things may change, and you may want to tweak your plans. Further, you'll want to have a list of the resources, people, phone numbers, etc. because once you set your mind to moving forward, and then begin to take action, you will begin to see responses to your actions.

You will also see the law of physics unfold for you...A body in motion stays in motion while a body at rest stays at rest. You are then also destined to meet other bodies in motion.

Finally, have as much fun as you can while doing this. You say you like to work puzzles. Welcome to creating the most incredible gazillion-piece jigsaw ever...your life. The crazy part is, there's no box with a picture and you must keep trusting that by working on it a little bit every day, the picture will emerge and you'll be right in the center.

Best regards.
Em

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.