Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:30:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772786
  • Total Topics: 66297
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 201
Total: 203

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Brief Casual Encounter PEP Questions  (Read 22045 times)

Offline Benjy

Brief Casual Encounter PEP Questions
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:23:52 pm »
Hello, I am new to these forums so apologies in advance if I have started a new thread erronously.  Here's my story.
I had brief receptive gay sex in Berlin last Weds lasting 30 seconds because I suddenly came to my senses and made him withdraw.  I do not know his HIV status, but have some insight in to his behaviour as I was told he was barebacking in Berlin bars after his encounter with me.  I am so angry with myself for putting myself at risk like this in a city which is classified as an HIV blackspot.  I visited the STD clinic in the UK 24 hours later and started a PEP program of Keletra and Truvada within 26 hours of the possible exposure.  I have a bad cold and cough and wondered if this could impact on the effectiveness of PEP and indeed make me more at risk to HIV infection due to my immune system already taking a beating with the cold?
I am experiencing some side effects which are known, diarrohea for eg but also have a strange taste (metallic) in my mouth.  Has anyone heard of this side effect because I've not read about it.  I am also sleeping and dreaming a lot.  Do you know if the side effects are likely to ease during the 28 day course or remain the same? I am course very worried that I may have contracted HIV from this experience and the concern plus the affects of PEP will make me much more likely to ALWAYS use condoms in the future.  This is my fourth day on PEP and any help, advice or reassurance you can give me will help me through this difficult time.  I will through this thread update you on my progress.  Thanks for reading.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Brief Casual Encounter PEP Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »
It wouldn't be surprising to have some side effects from PEP. Those are very potent drugs and it's not unusual for upset stomachs to happen, also tiredness, depression, low sex drive among other reactions some seem to have.

You began PEP at an optimal time for effectiveness. From what you have described of the incident the risk was low. I expect you will come out of this ok. And of course having gone through this upset and worry, condoms are a must everytime in the future. You can have intercourse with anyone without being worried about HIV as long as the insertive partner is always wearing a condom.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your results.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:24:59 pm »
Thanks for your reply Andy - appreciated.  With regard to the odd taste I am experiencing on PEP, I found this link at the Terrence Higgins Trust and his diary entry describes my side effects totally.  http://www.pep.chapsonline.org.uk/pep_diary.htm  Anyway, no red wine for a month, oh well it will do me good I expect.  I am now 25% or 7 days into PEP and I feel like shit in all honesty but I am determined to perservere.  Yesterday I felt quite good but today has been very difficult with many many trips to the loo and I feel very very depressed.  I go to the clinic tomorrow to get my liver and kidney (bloods) checked.  I will then start working from home as the trips to the office are just killing me despite my boss (who I have told) being very supportive.  I know I am lucky to have such great work colleagues.  I have found this site very useful and actually comforting.  Ann, your blog is a great read, thank you so much for sharing. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:29:47 pm »
For whatever comfort it maybe, your reactions to the regimen are certainly with the parameters of "normal" for doing PEP.

While unprotected anal is certainly high risk, I would say of the incident as you described it is one from which I expect you to likely come out of it ok. And each day is another day down.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 02:43:14 pm »
it is comforting to know.  I hope you don't mind me asking this but if it does transpire that I have HIV will the medication always have these horrid effects?  I don't think I could cope if I felt like this permanently.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:56:51 pm »
The meds get a whole range of reactions from mild to not so mild. But I really don't want to get into something that is essentially speculative. I can understand your letting mind wander but it's a slippery slope to get on to.

You'll do much better to focus on other things in your life right now. It will help the PEP and waiting time to pass much more easily if you do that.

As I said, at the end of the day I expect a negative result because of what you have described of the incident.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:18:17 am »
Hi again, I just wanted to check something regarding the testing regime.  When I asked my Dr when I would know whether or not I was HIV + he replied that I should have a good idea at the end of the month with more definitive answer at 3 months.  I have read somewhere though that PEP "re-sets the clock" and a test taken directly after taking PEP will not provide an accurate result. If this is the case, I finish PEP on Oct 6th, should the first test be taken one month after that date? (ie two months after possible exposure)  Thanks for any advice.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:32:55 am »
You're right that PEP does re-set the clock. You can get an initial result at 6 weeks after the completion of PEP. Anything done before then isn't a solid indication yet if it's negative, although of course any negative result is good news. Your final test ought to be 13 weeks after the completion of PEP.

Assuming you test negative at 6 weeks, the likelihood is that you will continue to test negative. And I am expecting a negative for you.

Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 12:09:00 pm »
Hello again.  I am in the final five days of PEP and the last couple of days I have experienced slight aching pains either side of my neck (underneath my ears)  This would be at 4 weeks almost after the exposure incident.  Is this possible effect of sero conversion or a possible effect of PEP itself?
I have been asked to attend the clinic for an HIV test on 28 Oct which I find odd, especially as Andy confirmed in the last post that PEP resets the "testing clock"  as this will be just 3 weeks after I finish PEP.  Surely i should be tested 6 weeks AFTER taking PEP like Andy said?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 12:33:01 pm »
That's right about the 6 weeks after completion of PEP for an initial test. Assuming you test negative, then it is very likely you will continue to test negative at the 13 week mark.

We don't discuss symptoms here. Neither their presence nor absence tell you anything about HIV status. And there is absolutely nothing HIV-specific about anything you are reporting.

And I still expect that ultimately you are going to come out of this negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 01:18:35 pm »
Benjy,

There are two schools of thought over the post-PEP testing period. In this forum we go by the school of thought that says you must re-set the testing clock. It sounds like the clinic you attend goes by the "test as usual" school of thought.

For a detailed explanation of what's behind these two different ideas, please read this post. If you have further questions, please return to this thread. Do not post in the thread I directed you to, thanks.

I also fully expect you to come out of this hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Benjy

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 06:23:11 pm »
thank you Andy and Ann for your reassurance. Since my last post.  I finished PEP on Thursday morning and went to the clinic to get my liver and kidney (bloods) checked.  The meeting started off OK until I asked the Dr about the testing period.  She went to ask the consultant and came back five minutes later and simply said "PEP doesn't reset the clock and the consultant thinks that you should be STI screened today which will involve a swab taken from the anus...."  I said you can you just stop there please. I asked why Terrence Higgins Trust stated that testing should resume 6 weeks post PEP, two statements can't be true.  What you're implying Ann is that there is no wrong or right answer, to quote your "school of thought."  I told the Dr (whose attittude was noticeably turning) that I wasn't prepared for full STI screening and didn't think it necessary until I come back to the clinic in two weeks - I just wasn't expecting it.  Besides, I was full STI screened in August and apart from this particular encounter have always had safe sex.  The Dr then seemed to get really stroppy citing how many sexual partners I had had prior to my last check.  I simply said that I didn't think the chance of getting syphilis or gonorrhea was likely from "hand jobs" and a full STI test in two weeks, when I was prepared would be fine.  I left that clinic feeling really pissed off, judged, my testing question unanswered and having blood tests for which I cannot remember what reason.  I later found what these were when I rang back to speak to my usual Dr.  He was excellent.  In the end I am opting for caution and what I believe.  It just seems to make perfect sense to me that PEP DOES reset the testing clock (simply because I see the logic of SURPESSING HIV anitbodies) and I have exercised my patient right. Like I say, left the clinic feeling like shit and I shouldn't have on the day I finished PEP.  Later that evening I opened a nice bottle of red which already tasted so much better than it has done all month....that metallic taste from taking PEP has finally gone!  I'll let you know what my test result is towards the end of November.  Thanks again both of you.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »
It honestly sounds like that clinic goes beyond the first school of thought, and assumes that every sexual encounter is an unprotected penetrative one, that all patients will lie about it, and that moving someone through the system as fast as possible is good medicine. In other words, treat patients like children. And not particularly bright ones.

Not that people DON'T lie. They do it all the time. But treating someone with respect and dignity, as well as at least addressing the conflicting scientific viewpoints, goes a long way towards preventing HIV - and educating about same.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Benjy

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 07:36:04 pm »
It honestly sounds like that clinic goes beyond the first school of thought, and assumes that every sexual encounter is an unprotected penetrative one, that all patients will lie about it, and that moving someone through the system as fast as possible is good medicine. In other words, treat patients like children. And not particularly bright ones.

Sadly jkinatl2, I think you may be right.  When I spoke to my usual Dr, I told him that the Dr I saw had forgotten that whilst the "clinic experience" may be an every day occurrence to her, she should remember that it isn't for the patients that go there.  I forgot to mention earlier that she also said in her quest to swab me that other STIs could affect the rate in which HIV takes hold.  I sat back in the chair and simply said, "let's not presume I have HIV shall we until we get those results back."  Bottom line is, when I go to the clinic to be STI tested I am more than happy to be swabbed to the high hilt.  But I was not expecting it that day and it was almost like it was being used against me as a punishment for questioning their PEP post testing regime.  It just didn't feel right and I'm glad I stood my ground.  Just hope that I don't get the same Dr in a couple of weeks (doubtful as I will refuse to see her anyway) as otherwise she may get her revenge and use a cricket bat to take that anal swab - ouch! 

edited for typos
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:47:30 pm by Benjy »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 12:25:15 am »

Ben,

I'm glad you stood your ground too. You have to remember that people who work in clinics are human, and humans are prone to judge each other. That doesn't mean it's right and that doesn't mean you have to put up with it.

All things considered, I fully expect you to test negative. Good luck.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Benjy

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 01:30:51 pm »
Hello again.  This week I got my 13 week post PEP result and it was negative. Clearly I am relieved.  I am aware that the 13 week test isn't the ultimate test, the 6 month being that one, but can anyone advise how accurate it is - is there a percentage for example?
I am not worried but just wondered.  Actually, I have not been really worried throughout this period and that's partly down to you Andy and Ann for the usefully put guidance and reassurance you have given me. So can I thank you both for that and if I ever see you in a pub, I'll buy you a drink!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »
Benjy,

You are conclusively hiv negative and you do not need further testing. The window period has been at three months for years now.

Make sure you use condoms in future and you will stay hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Benjy

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 06:36:34 am »
On reading your post Ann I realised that I had my numbers wrong.  It was the 6 weeks post PEP result I had done, not 13.  It was actually around 9 weeks when I had it done.  Apologies for my confusion.  So, this first test as I said isn't totally accurate (anyone know how accurate though)  but I am happy and yes, always using condoms.  The PEP experience was a good wakeup call for me. Thanks again Ann and sorry about my mistake.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 09:48:23 am »
Although not technically conclusive, a negative at 9 weeks post-PEP is very likely to continue to be negative at 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 11:35:05 am »
Ben,

I looked back at your previous posts and your last dose of PEP was on October 6th. That means you can test on December 29th for a conclusive result. Like Andy I also expect you to continue to test negative, so it looks like you're going to have a negatively positive start to the New Year. And that's a good thing! :)

Ann

PS - December 29th is twelve weeks, which IS conclusive. If you insist on waiting for thirteen weeks, test on or after January 5th.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:36:52 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Benjy

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 01:49:17 pm »
Thank you for doing the maths Ann, I'll slap myself for not being as accurate as you in the first place.  You are spot on by the way.  I will post the result in the new year when I have that test.  Have a great Christmas and best wishes to you, Andy and all the other regulars for 2011.  xxx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 01:58:53 pm »
Ben,

You're welcome. Now put this out of your head for a while and enjoy the holidays. With that nine week negative under your belt, a three month negative is all but guaranteed. So relax!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Benjy

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 12:54:52 pm »
I promised to post again once I got the definitive 13 week test done.  It was negative. Thank youu Ann, Andy and everyone else you gave me support through the PEP, really appreciated. Now I will get on with life and make sure I don't have unprotected sex EVER again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:21 pm »
That's happy news about the negative result and it's good to know you are committed to practicing safer sex consistently by always using condoms for intercourse.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

Oral sex after tooth extraction
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »
Hi again folks. I recently gave head on a guy who is HIV+ after two days of having a tooth removed. I did ask the dentist if oral sex was safe (a dinner party conversation for him no doubt) and he said when you feel like it. I'm not too concerned as I guess the saliva in my mouth would have killed any virus. Besides, the guy is on meds and his VL is negligible. On the subject of that. Would you advise against having receptive anal sex with someone who was positive but had a negligible viral load count without a condom? Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Benjy. ;)

APOLOGIES! I should have sent this message into my original "PEP" thread of many months ago. I am sorry.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:07:13 pm by Benjy »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 03:14:18 pm »
I've merged your threads together. In the future please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

Really bad oral care as a risk is different from recovering from an extraction. By 2 days after that event your mouth would already have been healing. And yes, your saliva makes for a very effective barrier against the transmission of HIV. If you decide to get tested for peace of mind I would expect you to get a negative result.

Having unprotected anal sex with someone who is HIV+ is never a good idea. Even if their vl is low(er), low risk is not the same as no risk. Getting laid bareback is a transient experience but HIV is forever once you are infected. So why risk it is the question to ask yourself.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 04:06:49 pm »
thanks Andy. As ever, very, very helpful and whose advice I will always follow. All the best to you. Apologies again for forgetting about posting a new thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 05:18:59 pm »
You're welcome.

And use a condom everytime for anal is the way to go unless you come to be in a SECURELY monogamous relationship in which both partners reliably test negative together.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 06:09:34 am »
It's probably best I give you a run through on what I get up to this with this fella and perhaps you can advise on any extra precautions we take or give me the thumbs up in terms of what we're already doing.
1. Lots of deep oral both ways, cum eating including.
2. He has started to use his hands on my arse and though he hasn't quite managed to fist me, he's close. Has always worn latex gloves when doing so.
3. I like to rim him hard too.

Sorry if my graphic"ness" offends anyone, but best to be open in these matters in my view.
Benjy

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 07:40:48 am »
Benjy,

The answer to all three questions is - no risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Benjy

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 02:36:29 am »
I was fisted last week and there was another guy being fisted too. We were not fisted at the same time with the same gloves but there was a tub of lube that was used on BOTH of us. I understand that this is not good practice. Can you advise on the risk of HIV please? New gloves were used on me, it's just that I'm concerened that he was fisted, hand was re-dipped in pot and hey presto, one infected pot?  Many thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:07 am »
You never had a risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 08:22:53 am »
As Rod has said, NO RISK.

Instead of coming to us each time you have another sexual experience, you ought to re-read what has been said to you previously, which basically is that only unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV.

Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV, so we do recommend that anyone who is sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done at least once a year.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 12:37:45 pm »
When I first opened your reply Mr Velez, my initial thought was "who's bed did he get out of the wrong side of this morning" but then I decided to reflect a little and be a little more constructive in my reply. Something  I feel you could have done a little more of to be honest.
First of all, I have not come to this website after each sexual experience, believe me, if that were the case, there would be plenty more posts.
I came to thsi site because after I researched the internet on my particular query and there are plenty of sites that imply that sharing lube is risky. I can understand why. Sharing a lube pot whilst fisting can mean all the germs from one arse go into the pot and then into the other arse as the sharing experience evolves. I stress germs, and not the HIV virsu of course which I know is different. I guess what I really wanted to know is how long can the virus live outside of the body. I wanted to ascertain what that risk was as my research didn't throw anything conclusive and I have always trusted the good views of yourself and others on these forums.
Unlike others I won't mention, I have not come with a query like "can you catch HIV from a loo seat" They have always been quite reasonable queries in other words. The heading of this forum is after all "Am I infected" which implies a situation arose and someone wants reassurance or an answer on something they are unsure of. In my case, both. I also think my query may be of use to others wondering about the same thing or new to fisting itself. If you are not happy to answer these queries, can I suggest you don't make it a forum, but under the heading "Am I Infected" you simply insert a strapline reading "no you do not, unless  you had vaginal or anal sex without using a condom"
Best wishes and thanks in any case,
Benjy

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 01:02:08 pm »
Ben,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. It certainly won't be able to infect after sitting in a pot of lube.

You may be at risk for other bugs or hep C from this incident, but NOT hiv. If you're worried about other infections, you'll have to enquire elsewhere. We only deal with hiv here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Benjy

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 02:11:41 pm »
Ann
I am very grateful for your reply which gives an excellent explaination. I was worried about HIV infection in particular, so thank you very much for putting my mind (and hopefully a few others) at ease.  Appreciated.
Kind regards
Ben

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:23 pm »
Just to add on to Ann's thorough response, we do always encourage anyone who  is sexually active as yourself, to at least annually have a full STD panel done. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. And test more frequently for other STDs if you have any suspicious symptoms.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 06:55:23 pm »
thanks Andy, I get tested twice a year because I am very sexually active. Good advice and appreciated.
Benj

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 09:38:23 am »
OK. Good.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:27 pm »
Talk about having no luck :( I was receptive with someone positive tonight and the condom came off inside me which I'm pretty certain happened as he withdrew. I'm concerned because I bled a bit and wondered if coming into contact with any of his precum could have left me exposed. He did not come. This happened a few hours ago so I am able to take PEP if you think it wise.  I always use condoms and as II say, pretty sure it came of his cock as he withdrew...but not 100%! Thanks in advance. Benj

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 09:51:55 pm »
If you know he was/is positive, and if he is on meds and has an undetectable viral load, your chances are really good for not seroconverting even without PEP.

Obviously there was protection until the condom fell off, so that lowers the risk a lot. But it's really up to you. Having gone through PEP before, you know the drill. It's best when started within 24 hours of your incident.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Benjy

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 05:52:16 am »
he isn't on meds becuase his CD4 count is good - I did ask what his vl was and he did say in the region of 500000. Sorry I should have said this in my original post

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 07:00:19 am »
Benjy,

Was the condom hanging out of you or was it pushed up inside so you had to dig for it? Because unless you had to dig, it came off when he withdrew. If it came off when he withdrew, you didn't have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Benjy

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 07:17:51 am »
Hi Ann, no, I had to douch it out so it was way in me and it did have my blood on it too

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 08:46:36 am »
You have to make the final decision of course. In this situation where the condom may have been off in you before he withdrew, I recommend doing PEP. And if you are going to do it, the sooner the better to get the maximum benefit from the treatment.

Remember that for testing you have to count from the completion of the 28 day treatment.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I just got back from the hospital and I have started PEP, 18 hours, so I am in a good window hopefully.  I was told that becuase the positive partner isn't taking meds, this actually makes PEP more effective than if he was say on second phase medication. Never heard that one before. OK, I know what an awful month I have ahead of me now so I'm just going to keep busy and get on with it. Thanks again, Benj

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 12:39:10 pm »
That's a good plan for the coming month, Benj.

Odds are in your favor on this incident.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 02:00:48 pm »
From my previous experience of PEP, I know that Kaletra and Truvada will make me experience chronic diarrhoea and I will suffer fatigue.  I was wondering if there was anyting I could do diet wise to reduce either of these affects. I was also given some anti diarrhoea tablets with the PEP starter kit.  A Little part of me hopes that my tolerance of the drugs will be slightly better this time, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks Andy for the words of reassurance.  Benj

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 02:27:16 pm »
Eat simple and binding, bland and non-fatty foods like rice, bananas, etc.
Andy Velez

Offline Benjy

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »
Hi, I am taking Truvada and Keletra and I just realised that I took the Truvada at 7 am this morning instead of the usual 7pm. I am on my fourth day. Should I just wait until 7 am tomorrow before taking more Truvada? I'm annoyed for the mistake I've made but I was a bit groggy and tired this morning. Thanks
Benj

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.