Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:42:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 223
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Quick question about risk (oro-vaginal)  (Read 12528 times)

Offline OnEdge

Quick question about risk (oro-vaginal)
« on: October 19, 2006, 02:19:41 pm »
Hi all,

My risk is as follows: Various episodes of cunnilingus with women of unknown HIV status, nver any blood, good oral hygiene. All vaginal and anal sex was protected. No condom breakage. Last occurence: about 8 weeks ago.

I know that symptoms are not a factor, but just want to add that I've not had any symptoms other than those that seem to have been created by my imagination. For example, if I'm really nervous, I'll have trouble swallowing. I calm myself, it goes away.

Also, given the fact that I'm nervous, I seem to be noticing more add campaings about HIV than before... Does this happen with most people when they get paranoid?

Finally, do I need testing for these particular activities?

Thanks a million and good luck to all!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Quick question about risk (oro-vaginal)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:48:57 pm »
Edge,

You haven't had a risk of hiv infection.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 12:11:33 pm »
Hi Ann, I never thanked you for answering so quickly and I'd like to do that now.

I have new concerns in the debate about oral sex. I am in Canada and stumbled about a site from the federal government. I know what you must be thinking (CYA policy...) The thing is this site cites studies about seroconversion after performing oral sex and although they seem to be more about MSM than men performing sex on women, they got me wondering.

First, this is where you can find the article: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/epiu-aepi/epi_update_may_04/13_e.html

The following are the studies cited (The references follow):

Several epidemiological studies have examined the risk of HIV infection through unprotected receptive oral intercourse (receptive fellatio):

In a 1996-1999 study of MSM with a recent diagnosis of HIV infection, it was found that 7.8% of subjects (eight of 102) were probably infected through receptive oral sex.(9)

In a 1986-1988 prospective study of HIV infection and AIDS among MSM in the Netherlands, four of 102 cases of seroconversion (3.9%) likely occurred as a result of receptive oral intercourse.(10)

In a 1990-1992 study of gay men with newly diagnosed HIV infection, six of 37 patients (16.2%) who had been infected within a year before testing claimed receptive oral sex as the only possible route of their infection.(11)

Possible Transmission of HIV Between Heterosexual Partners as a Result of Oral Intercourse

There are several reported cases in the literature of women who acquired HIV infection after performing oral sex on their seropositive male partner (receptive fellatio).(24)

Cases of infection in men following oral sex with their female partners have been reported, including one in which a man was apparently infected through fellatio involving a prostitute.(25,26)

In a study of 741 MSM in the Netherlands, orogenital contact was identified as an independent risk for HIV acquisition, although this result was not statistically significant.(15)

In a US study, homosexual males who were participating in a hepatitis B study were found to have a higher risk of HIV infection from both orogenital and oro-anal contact.(16)

In the Omega cohort in Quebec, 10 out of 629 MSM participants (1.6%) seroconverted and listed only unprotected receptive oral intercourse as the possible route of their infection.(17)

In Australia, researchers looking at MSM and risk behaviours found that five out of 75 recently seroconverted subjects (6.7%) in the study were likely infected by oral intercourse. The authors note that it is difficult to be certain of the actual mode of transmission. The subjects had varying risk profiles: for example, one had a penile piercing that could have caused transmission, another had gingivitis and dental treatment, and another had had protected anal intercourse.(18)

Conclusions

The risk of HIV transmission through oral sex is difficult to assess because HIV seroconverters may underreport other higher risk sexual practices. A literature review identified exposure to HIV through unprotected oral intercourse as an independent risk factor for HIV acquisition in only three (12.5%) of 24 epidemiological studies designed to examine risk of HIV from different sexual exposures.(34)

REFERENCES:

(9)Dillon B, Hecht FM, Swanson M et al.
Primary HIV infections associated with oral transmission. 7th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, San Francisco, January 30th-February 2nd, 2000 (abstract 473).

(10)Keet IP, Albrecht van Lent N, Sandfort TG et al.
Orogenital sex and the transmission of HIV among homosexual men. AIDS 1992;6(2):223-26.

(11)Grutzmeir S, Bratt G Ramstedt G et al.
HIV transmission in gay men in Stockholm 1990-1992. International Conference on AIDS, 1993 (abstract PO-CO2-2584).

(15)Van Griensven GJP, Tielman RAP, Goudsmit J et al.
Risk factors and prevalence of HIV antibodies in homosexual men in the Netherlands. Am J Epidemiol 1987;125(6):1048-57.

(16)Darrow WW, Echenberg DF, Jaffe HW et al.
Risk factors for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections in homosexual men. Am J Public Health 1987;77(4):479-83.

(17)Alary M, Remis RS, Otis J et al., the Omega Study Group.
Risk factors for HIV seroconversion among men having sex with men (MSM) in Montreal. Can J Infect Dis 2002;13(Suppl A):46A.

(18)Richters J, Grulich A, Ellard J et al.
HIV transmission among gay men through oral sex and other uncommon routes: case series of HIV seroconverters, Sydney. AIDS. 2003;17(15):2269-71.

(24)Puro V, Narciso P, Girardi E et al.
Male to female transmission of human immunodeficiency virus by orogenital sex. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 1991;10(1):47.

(25)Spitzer PG, Weiner NJ.
Transmission of HIV infection from a woman to a man by oral sex. N Engl J Med 1989; 320(4):251.

(26)Quarto M, Germinario C, Troiano T et al.

(34)Rothenberg RB, Scarlett M, Del Rio C et al.
Oral transmission of HIV. AIDS 1998;12(16):2095-2105.

BOTTOM LINE, IS THERE REALLY NO RISK FORM PERFORMING CUNNILINGUS?

ALSO' I WAS WONDERING IF AIDSMEDS HAD A MEDICAL EDITOR ON STAFF THAT REVIEWS INFO SUPPLIED BY MODERATORS? DON'T GET ME WRONG, I THINK YOUR WORDS ARE GOSPEL, BUT I'M JUST WONDERING...

Thanks and God bless.

HIV transmission by fellatio. Eur J Epidemiol 1990;6(3):339-40.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 12:32:51 pm »
Edge,

Two things; first, the studies cited are studies that took the patient's word for how they became infected. Patient report is notoriously unreliable for many reasons, ranging from the patient forgot something they did under the influence, to the patient lied because they didn't want to admit to anal intercourse.

Secondly, comparing male ejaculate to a woman's genital secretions is like... comparing bananas to oranges. The female secretions that you would come into contact with are no where near as infectious as semen. The infectious fluids found in a woman's genital tract are found in the thick mucus that covers and protects the cervix, which is deep within the vagina. While your penis will come into contact with this area, your mouth won't. The fluid/lube that a woman produces comes from two glands on either side of the vaginal opening and has not been shown to be any more infectious than tears (which aren't infectious). 

And don't forget that saliva contains over a dozen different enzymes and proteins that damage hiv and stop it from being able to infect. Not only that, but there are very few of the right kind of cells that hiv needs to infect present in the mouth. That's right, hiv doesn't infect any old cell, it has to be a very specific type of cell.

Now if you want to talk studies, the more reliable studies have not shown oral sex of any description to be a great risk for hiv infection. There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. This shows us two things. One, condoms are very effective for the prevention of hiv transmission. Two, oral sex is much lower risk than previously believed. We now have the evidence that oral sex is a very low risk activity where hiv transmission is concerned.

Tim Horn is the person who takes care of most of the medical content on this site. He wrote (with input from some of us who answer questions here) the Transmission Lesson. He also keeps an eye on this forum, and I sometimes IM him to ask him about a situation I am not clear on. You can read about Tim on the About Us page (link in upper left hand corner of any forum page).

Ann
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 12:34:42 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 04:40:23 pm »
Thanks a lot Ann for taking the time to ease my mind. What they say about us dogs thinking of HIV as a punishment is true... I think a lot of people surfing these pages are worried wells!

Anyways, thanks a million for being so kind. I think you guys are phenomenal in dealing not only with your own thoughts and feelings but those of others as well. You are invaluable.

Thanks agains for keeping me on the right side of sanity!

Edge

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 04:23:20 pm »
Hello again, one more question if I may.

I read in another post that if infections through cunnilingus had occured, modern methods of genotyping would allow us to know. Could you provide more information about that please?

Thanks.

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 07:27:29 pm »
While I am at it, I was wondering if there is anyway the cervical fluids could be evacuated through the vagina when performing cunnilingus. Also, I have read that that might be the case if the woman is taking the pill. Is there any truth to this?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 07:30:26 pm »
The facts are; you don't get HIV from going down on a woman, PERIOD...

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 07:48:00 pm »
Rapid, thanks.

This is what I keep telling myself but somehow I think I neeed to slap my face for it to sink in. My wife and I went through a rough patch. We're back together and I realize I love her more than anything; and now I'm kicking myself for what I have done. There is just so much conflicting information form sources that at the very least seem reputable...

Thanks again for your help.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 11:01:09 pm »
...and that beating yourself up is clouding your ability to accept the facts here. You don't get HIV from this situation. Commonly people worry about HIV after an extra-marital affair because of the guilt involved. Understand that it isn't the actual chances of infection that are worrying you, but the guilt of it. It is almost like you feel it might be a punishment. It is not.

Rich
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 11:34:01 pm »
Of course, you're right. Thanks so much for putting up with us! You guys truly are phenomenal!

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 10:01:23 am »
Good morning all,

If I could only ask Ann for her input on my last posts so that I can really concentrate on moving on and letting you guys deal with the real concerns...

Edge

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 10:13:53 am »
Edge,

You need to let this go. Going down on a woman is not a risk for hiv infection, no matter how much you imagine and fantasize about what happens during the act. If anything you brought up was a concern, we would have told you. If you re-read one of my previous posts in this thread, you will notice that the fluid that lubricates a woman during sex comes from two glands on either side of the vaginal OPENING. Could you explain how that could cause anything to be washed down from deep inside the vagina?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 05:08:05 pm »
Ann, Rapid, Rich,

You guys are wonderful. I know you have surely been told that many times before but since I can't buy you all a drink to let you know how greatful I am for your help, this will have to do. I am humbled by the work you guys do and I sincerely wish I can repay you some day for easing my mind.

It is an honour to have been helped by such classy people. Hats off to you all and keep up your phenomenal work. Although it may sometimes seem that you don't actually get through to people, your help is priceless.

God bless you all and may He grant you long and healthy lives.

Edge

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 11:38:41 am »
Guys! Happy Aids day to all of you. I have one more question to which I have not found an answer. The last girl I had oral with had some sort of a BandAid on one of her breasts. She said some guy bit her nipple. Now I suppose she got bit hard enough to draw blood. If the guy who bit her had been infected, could he have passed it on to her?

Thanks again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 12:30:59 pm »
Edge,

No.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 11:47:12 am »
Good day all,

I would appreciate if HivWorker could get this. Ann, your input is always welcomed ;)

This is regarding the inhibitors contained in saliva. I am aware of the works by Pudney J, Quayle AJ, Anderson DJ, Nagashunmugam T, Malamud D, Davis C, Friedman HM, and the likes. But also read that thrombospondin (I imagine this is the main enzyme you refer to Ann) was not found sufficiently effective to completely deactivate the virus and that, because of this, researchers were not all that enthusiastic about developing medication that used thrombospondin and the likes and that, not even as complementary therapy.

Now guys, what you have told me is starting to sink in, I promise! But this is fascinating stuff and I wish you could provide more info.

Thanks again for your time,

Edge ;D

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 10:35:14 pm »
Hey guys, sorry to be a pest. I just want to cover all angles. While I am waiting for an answer to my previous post, I started wondering after reading the condom and lube section in Ann's posts. What prompted me to do so, was a post by Rapidrod regarding the proper use of condoms. He wrote to someone who had mentionned not using lube with a condom that this was improper use of a preservative. I thought I knew how to use a condom... guess I was wrong. I rarely have used lube throughout my sex life but I am certain that, since you says a condom break is quite evident, that this has never happened to me. Also, Ann's link mentionned the possibility of slippage when lube was not used. I am sure the head of my penis was always covered as well as at least 3/4 of my shaft (btw, I am not circumcised). So considering the head was protected and no apparent breakage ever happened, is it safe to assume that penetrative sex was always protected?

Thanks,

Edge

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 08:04:03 am »
Edge,

I asked you to look at the condom and lube links back on October 19th and you're just getting around to them now? Have you taken on board anything that has been said to you here?

Look mate, according to your first post here (also on October 19th) the last time you engaged in any of these behaviours was eight weeks ago from the day you posted. That means it's well over three months now. Why don't you just go get tested, collect your negative result and be done with it? All this speculating and what iffs is nothing more than a bit of cerebral masturbation on your part. Test and get on with your life.

And no, I'm not telling you to test because I suddenly think you had a risk. You didn't. Go re-read my first post to you to know why I think you should test, apart from the peace of mind aspect.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 08:27:28 am »
Ann, I am sorry I had not gotten to read your lesson before some days ago. In my mind, I had always been protected by the use of a condom. I just did not know lube was always necessary. I truly am sorry if my concerns seem silly to you. I know you are right and it must be hard for you guys to deal with all the anxiety going on in this forum. I know I should get tested for my peace of mind as well as for the very valid reasons stated in your first reply to this thread. I have not done so yet, because I am scares Sh**less to do so.The mind is a funny thing. I have been tested at least twice a year ever since I have been sexually active so for about 13 years now and never really worried about it. But since I have strayed from my marriage, 3 months ago, I am a tortured soul. I look at my wife and I just want to cry. I just feel horrible. I have come up with so many excuses to limit all intimity with her and eventhough I can't transmit something to her that I don't have, I can't shake the worry. I am an educated man and I should be able to come to grips with this, but it's getting to look like OCD to me.

Again, I don't mean to annoy you, I just need reassurance.

Thanks for your patience,

Edge
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 08:29:29 am by OnEdge »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 08:57:58 am »
Edge,

Straying from your marriage does not change the mechanics of hiv transmission. Go get that test done and put your mind at ease.

Maybe it's time you saw a counselor too, before this gets even more out of hand.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 10:48:29 am »
Ann, bless you. I hope this is the last time I post here. You're great and I thank you for all your help.

Edge

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 05:02:18 pm »
Hello all, I just wanted to let you know that I had raked up sufficient courage to get tested this morning. I am so tired, as you can imagine I have not slept all night. I am beginning to clearly see that this problem lies between my ears and that I am surely very anxious for having been unfaithful to my wife... I am to the point where I am almost convinced that I'll be the first unlucky bastard to get infected from cunnilingus. I am sorry to bother you with all of this but you guys are the only ones I can talk to about these feelings I am having. I pray for all you guys (of course, that includes you my dearest Ann...) who have been so generous with your time and have cared enough to address my concerns; as for you, please keep your fingers crossed fo me.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for allowing me to lay my concerns on you.

Take good care, Edge.

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 06:06:04 pm »
Dear all,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to wish you the best christmas ever. Ann, Rod, Andy, HivWorker, and all the good folks at Aidsmeds, I wish you all the best for the new year. May you have GOOD HEALTH, and may all your dreams come true.

You guys do fantastic work here and I bow to you in respect. I wish you all a cure for 2007 (HivWorker, I'm couting on you!)

Hugs to all of you,

Sincerely,

Edge xx

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 10:47:15 am »
Hello guys, hope you are all doing great.

I am back with a question for my brother who is working as a cooperator in a developping nation with so-so Internet availability in the region where he is stationned. He's bee gone for over a year now and, feeling lonely, has hooked up with about 30 CSW (seems to run in the family -sigh-) and had about 50 protected vaginal intercourses  with these gals as well as unprotected receptive and insertive oral. Lately, he seems to have developed serious fears (also runs in the family...) about his exposures. I told him that, from what I has learned from you guys, that protected intercourse is just that, and that no one has ever been infected by going down on a woman or receiving a blowjob. I told him that he had less of a risk from his exposures than from  a single unprotected vaginal exposure with someone of unknown serology. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stretching it too far in order to reassure him.

Warmest regards,

Edge ;)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 10:52:53 am »
If all of your brother's experiences with vaginal/anal intercourse have been protected then I don't see any cause for concern about HIV.

We do in general recommend that anyone who is sexually active have a full STD panel done regularly. Other STDs are easier to get than HIV. So testing for all should be done at least once a year.

As far as HIV is concerned, nothing you have reported about him suggests cause for concern to me.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 11:00:23 am »
Thanks Andy, you're a scholar and a gentleman!

So the studies about serodiscordant couples I remember Ann had writen about still stand (no new research contradicting them)?

Have great day!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 11:33:40 am »
Edge,

Yes, the serodiscordant studies are still valid. Your brother hasn't been at risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OnEdge

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 11:44:56 am »
Thanks so much Ann! I hope you're doing great! :-*

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 12:44:19 pm »
You're welcome, Edge. If your bro and you continue consistently using condoms for vaginal/anal intercourse you will be well protected from the sexual transmission of HIV. It really is just that simple.

Andy Velez

Offline OnEdge

Hormone therapy and delayed seroconversion
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 08:44:49 am »
Good morning, hope you are all doing great.

I have a question on behalf of a friend regarding testing. I kmow all about the conclusive thirteen weeks. I have read on this forum that certain things such as cancer medication could delay seroconversion. My question is does this relate specifically to chemotherapy or would hormone therapy (in this specific case, Tamoxifen taken as an adjuvant treatment preventing the growth of more cancerous cells in the breast) also delay seroconversion?

Thanks in advance and bless you all for the wonderful and selfless job you do on this forum.

Edge

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 09:24:45 am »
Edge,

No, Tamoxifen would not affect the results and does not affect the window period.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OnEdge

Tamoxifen
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 09:29:42 am »
That's great news Ann!

Thanks again so much and have a terrific day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.