Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 335
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worried high risk exposure. tested 2month neg.  (Read 8169 times)

Offline worriedn618

Worried high risk exposure. tested 2month neg.
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:27:50 am »
I had a high risk exposure on dec 14. receptive anal bare.  I do not know if the other is poz or neg. I have spoke to him several times and he informed me he is "fine".  I was ill, low energy, night sweats, swollen lympth nodes n arm pits and groin and neck for month of jan.  I went on feb 9 for a oral rapid test and tested neg. She said nerves can play a part in these symptoms and I shouldnt worry. I told her about the 3 month window and could i be infected and it just not show positive.
She informed me that the rapid test is very accurate and in all the years she has worked there she has never seen a  negative test at 2month come back positive at 3. Unless im a drug user or something like that. I dont do drugs, smoke or drink. the only thing im on is a HRT from my low test levels.  but she said that would not  affect the results. 
I still have swollen lympth nodes on my left side of groin and a night sweat here and then. but I am still worried to death. I read about things on the internet and i guess my subconcious is running me. I called the testing center and the lady reassured me i didnt need to retest..
can anyone help me out?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Worried high risk exposure. tested 2month neg.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:45:24 am »
Worried,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being 22 days. HOWEVER, where there has been a risk - and you DID have a risk - a negative result obtained prior to the end of the three month window period MUST be confirmed at the three month point.

While I don't expect your negative result to change, you do need to confirm at the appropriate time.

Symptoms or even the LACK of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to diagnosing hiv. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will reliably inform you of your hiv status.

If you feel unwell, you need to see a doctor. What you're describing could be attributed to any one of hundreds of different health problems.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Please wise-up and start using condoms! You're gambling with your life and health any time you bareback.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedn618

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:21:22 pm »
I made a stupid mistake and I cant shake the quilt.  But has anyone seen a neg test at 2months come back positive?
I called my test center again this morning and she reassured me that another test was not needed. I was wasting resources that were limited. I explained that i was concerned since the CDC still recommends 3month, and she said they will never change that, but said the rapid oralbsure is extremely accurate and she said it was very advanced since the cdc orginally did the 3month window.  She said that the test was accurate at 30 days 97%.  This is the only place to test locally so now I am extremely confused. Like i said also the person I was with says he is neg and fine.

What should I do? Its just eating me up slowly. I try not to think about it. but its always on my mind.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:51:08 pm by worriedn618 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:44:25 pm »
OraSure tests are not conclusive until 3 months post exposure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 02:52:02 pm »
I agree with Ann that your negative is highly unlikely to change. But we do follow the CDC recommendation to test at 13 weeks for a conclusive result. You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with.

I do believe you will continue to test negative.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedn618

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:04:37 pm »
Andy,
  Thank you. I am still feeling unwell and my lympths are swollen.  Honestly in a attempt to ease my worry and I want everyone to be honest. Has anyone seen a neg at 8-9 weeks  59 days.  come back later positive. in someone that is in excellent health. My dr. said my HRT testosterone injects help the immune system. Would that delay the results or speed them up since my body is in top shape?  I feel if i can convience this testing center to retest me at 13 weeks im going to do it. But like I said she felt it wasnt needed and i was wasting a valueable resource that was limited anyway.

Also I was reading where I believe Massachusetts says 8 weeks is the definitive answer? why would they do this? also what rapid test are they using.  I went to a couple web sites and saw where they use the same test as I did. Im sorry just trying to ease my tension.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:52:48 pm by worriedn618 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:55:13 am »
Worried,

I've never seen an eight week negative change to positive at three months.

Your HRT will not have an effect on your hiv antibody test one way or the other.

While I fully expect the window period to be reduced in future, it currently is officially at three months in the US as a whole and the rest of the world too. As far as I'm aware, Mass is the only place where it's already been reduced. We stick by the testing guidelines of the majority.

Perhaps if you offered a cash donation to defray the costs of a three month test, they'd be more willing to do one for you. Unfortunately, their attitude is probably the result of so many who test and test and re-test unnecessarily. You can always remind them that the official CDC window period is three months and you HAVE had a risk.

As for feeling unwell, see a doctor. Whatever is going on is extremely unlikely to have anything to do with hiv. Have you tested for the other, more easily transmitted STIs? Swollen groin lymph nodes (while not a symptom of hiv) can be an indication of a local infection.

Again, I do not expect your eight week negative to change. Make sure condoms are being used in future and you'll remain hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedn618

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:24:02 am »
Ann,
   Excellent idea. I will contact them this morning. I am hopefully that I can retest and it will also be negative. I know that during this time of year also there is alot of illnesses around. But I just get stuck in my head the fatigue  swollen lympth node, which emitt sharp pains,  and the fact it feels like im burning up constantly.  I want to thank you all so much for the support. I have seen where alot of people just ask questions and disappear. I just have to say thank you! Ill keep you informed on what she says, later today.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:44:52 am »
Worried,

Again, please see a doctor if you feel unwell. You need to remember that you were at much higher risk for getting one of the more easily transmitted - and much more common - STIs when you went bare. If you haven't already (and if you did, you didn't mention it) you need to get a full  STI panel done.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedn618

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 01:27:47 pm »
I called yesterday and she said even if I did pay for the cost of the test. their supplies are extremely low and they didnt wanna re test.  I explained to her that I am continuing to have severe muscle n joint aches as well as fever and night sweat . Last night woke up to me sweating thru the sheets again! I have been having alot of bad weird dreams.
She said no. even if I did pay no! What should I do next?
I am going to my reg dr. for complete blood work. but I dont trust his staff with a hiv test honestly I live in a extremely small community and everyone know everyones business. To get this rapid test I have to travel 1-1/2 hrs .

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:21:57 pm »
The symptoms which are bothering you notwithstanding, (none of which are in any way HIV-specific not so incidentally), your 9 week negative is extremely unlikely to change.

Do you live near a city where you can go to be tested?
Andy Velez

Offline worriedn618

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 03:46:15 pm »
closest major city is saint louis,.    Its 2-1/2 hrs there..   the reason im worried is I have read. other people asking questions and then i saw there they ended up positive..
which scared the crap outa me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:48:59 pm by Ann »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 03:58:50 pm »
Your mistake is in indulging yourself in continuing to read more unhelpful stuff that only stokes your fears.

That negative result is very unlikely to change. Obviously it's not convenient to get to St. Louis, but weigh getting there to test against the way you're torturing yourself (unnecessarily).

Andy Velez

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 04:00:38 pm »
Who are you trying to fool? There are a lot of places to get tested without driving that far. You haven't looked very hard to get tested. Try your phone book.

Offline worriedn618

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 04:22:27 pm »
Who are you trying to fool? There are a lot of places to get tested without driving that far. You haven't looked very hard to get tested. Try your phone book.

I live in southern illinois, and Im not trying to fool anyone. there are several place on the internet that claim and I repeat claim they do rapid testing but does not!  I went to one that was listed on the internet as rapid testing they didnt not. When they asked about my exposure they made some snid comment about here is another "sword fighter" exposure!  so i left!   Rapid I have looked at alot of commments and I know it must get old people asking the same questions.  I made a very unwise decision that haunts me every minute of the day and yes i have look for other sites. to get a rapid test im not fooling anyone.  I think you should look back at your comments and see just how rude you are towards everyone. Doesnt the moderators see this? Im sorry but i came here because everyone seem very helpful and for the most part they are.. I will get  test as soon as I can. Money is very limited to me therefore travel is as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:12:06 pm by anniebc »

Offline worriedn618

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 04:48:29 pm »
worriedn618, excuse me. You post the nicks that you said that I said they didn't have a risk and tested positive. Before you make your unfounded accusations you best be able to back them up. 

I am not wanting to fight... but was just looking for advice, reassurance, and guidance.

This is why I am worried and I am afraid my 8-9 week test will late come back positive.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:10:47 pm by anniebc »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »
If you would have read that posters thread, you would have read what was said to him. He did not have a risk by having protected sex.  So get your facts straight before you make accusations.

Offline worriedn618

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 05:07:15 pm »
If you would have read that posters thread, you would have read what was said to him. He did not have a risk by having protected sex.  So get your facts straight before you make accusations.

I did and several times you did say protected sex is no risk. But he continues to say he was infected even being safe. Im just worried. I do not wanna fight nor am I fooling someone about the testing location if you wanna try and find me one close that does rapid i will pm u my zipcode. But be aware several claim they do until you call.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 05:16:06 pm »
Worried

Do not bring other posts here to try and win an argument you are clearly not going to win, I PM'd you asking nicely not to do this but you went ahead regardless..I have deleted your the link and edited your other post..end this now, I don't want to see another post about this.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:35 pm »
worried,

Put your zip code into the search engine at http://directory.poz.com/ to find a place that does hiv testing near you. It doesn't have to be a rapid test. As your previous negative result is UNLIKELY to change, you can just wait for a blood test if that's what it takes to get your confirmation.

As for Rodney's replies, he's curt and to the point, not rude. There's a huge difference. If you don't like how this forum is run, you're free to go to another.

You cannot always go by what someone else has said about how they got infected. Many times, people cannot even admit to themselves they had unprotected intercourse and put themselves at risk, much less admit it to anyone else. Sometimes people engage in sex while under the influence of drink and/or drugs and don't realise they've put themselves at risk.

The fact remains that as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, your eight week negative is HIGHLY unlikely to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.