Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:21:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 631
Total: 632

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Major Hospital pharmacy did not provide HIV medications.  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
Major Hospital pharmacy did not provide HIV medications.
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:52:24 am »

For me last Friday 10/06 started out to be a wonderful day. I had an appointment with my ADAP rep. to do the yearly re-sign-up for medications. He (Danny) was impressed with my stats, CD4=1147. 39% VL undetectable. Then I finished every chore that I needed doing while out on the town. Later on in the day I visited my 95 y/o neighbor for an early evening cocktail. I went back home and made myself a nice dinner. That night, around 11pm I started feeling odd. Tried to sleep but that wouldn’t happen. So around three am. I took a hot shower to try and calm myself down. That didn’t work either. So I just stayed up and around 4am I put on a pot of coffee. Around ten o'clock I went to gas up the car (Prices have finally dropped below $3.47 a gal.) while driving, the pain in my chest and jaw got worse. So I made a u-turn and headed back home. I then read through a ”self-care guide“ Handbook that I had from when I was a member of Kaiser Permanente.

Finally, around 2 pm. I decided to drive myself to Palm Drive Hospital in Sebastopol. (I really felt it was nothing more than indigestion or acid-reflux.) But, for some reason I thought I should just check it out anyway. Before I left home I thought of bring my daily meds with me but I didn’t. I’m usually a very organized person. In my wallet I carry information of whom to call in case of an emergency and the type/kinds/names of medications that I take, which is the first thing you’ll see when opening my wallet.

Without hesitation the doctor on staff admitted me into the emergency room. A little over an hour later they took me by ambulance stat to Santa Rosa Memorial hospital-cardiac-care-unit. Apparently I had had a heart attack. They took me into surgery to perform an angioplasty. Wow, seeing an image of your own heart beating on a monitor right next to you is pretty earth shaking. Not to mention watching the dye go through it. The cardiologist wasn't able to tell me what effect, if any, years of taking antiretroviral may have contributed to my having a heart attack.

As it turns out, I have three small blockages that caused the attack. The doctor decided we should treat the blockages with medications due to where the blockages are located and too difficult to reach. (Atenolol, Lisinopril, and Lipitor plus I need to carry Nitroglycerin with me at all times.) The surgery was painless. I was then admitted into Memorial Hospital for a few days of observation. (Dam they do not allow you much sleep, every fifteen minutes someone wants to do something to you.)

Here’s where I got upset.  I was asked if I were taking any other medications? I said yes. I then gave them the list of meds from my wallet. (Viread, Ziagen, Viramune and Acyclovir.) All they could provide for me from their pharmacy was Acyclovir. Tuesday, my doctor, whom by the way the hospital staff never informed that I had been admitted into the hospital, told me that they should have gotten my medications for me.

I’m home and doing fine. I have already set up appointments with both of my doctors, well really three doctors; I’m also waiting for the results of a prostate biopsy I had done earlier in the month. This has not been a fun year for me!

Something did happen to me while I was in the hospital that emotionally; I'm having difficulty coming to grips with. Or better yet, I should say the memory of it brings me to tears. And anyone that knows me well knows that I keep my emotions pretty much to myself. My roommate in the hospital was a 42 y/o man (F****ing drop dead gorgeous looking.) he’s married with a beautiful wife and a 15 y/o son, great parents and in-laws.  Friday, while he was taking a shower at home he suddenly had a stroke. He is now completely paralyzed on his right side, face, arm and leg and he is unable to speak coherently. 

I have always been appreciative of what I've obtained/enjoy throughout my life. His situation just made it even clearer for me. I realize that I am more fortunate than I acknowledge at times.

My main point to all this is, anyone that is already on meds, make sure you have enough meds with you or know someone that can get them for you incase of an unexpected emergency. In the over twelve years of my being on meds this is the first time I ever missed a dose. I missed two day’s of meds to be exact. And my numbers prove that adherence is the way to go. 

Now to search/Google for Low Fat/Cholesterol Diets. 

Offline Longislander

Re: Major Hospital pharmacy did not provide HIV medications.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 03:30:09 pm »
Terry, I'm glad you were able( and smart enough) to get to the hospital. I hope the damage was minimal. Good luck with the new healthy regimen!!

The hospital not being able to give you those meds is astonishing.

Thanks for the little reminder. Even though I have HIV, I know many people that are far worse off than me.

Take good care of yourself buddy.

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 05:25:20 pm »
Terry -
sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time, both with your health, and the pharmacy's inadequacies...

this site, british heart foundation,has some good, practical info -
http://www.bhf.org.uk/hearthealth/index.asp?secID=1&secondlevel=78&thirdlevel=350

hope things are soon better
Kate

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 12:05:54 pm »
Hi Terry,
So glad you are doing better, and that you listened to your body and got to the doctor.

I have also had similar experiences with my meds. I go to a major university hospital, and they have in the past not carried all my meds. My Mom or my husband has to run home and get all my meds if I am hospitalized.

I also take my own meds while in the hospital. That way I can stick with my adherence.

Hope your feeling better soon!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 11:01:15 pm »
Hello Terry,

I must say WOW what an experience you have had. It is a good thing that you did follow your mind to follow-up with the situation at the hospital. I am glad to hear that you are home and you are doing fine. You definitely want to change your diet from the fatty foods and such. Do whatever you can to keep your cholesterol level down.

I also find it quite alarming that the Hospital (of all places) did not have your meds. What an eye opener.

Make the BEST of each Day!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:00:27 am by Eldon »

Offline randym431

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 11:13:47 pm »
Its well known the meds can cause heart problems with throwing the Cholesterol levels out of whack. I worry about that now that my last labs show my Cholesterol is rising over the boarder line. If labs are unchanged at the end of Nov (my next labs), then I hope they put me on something. So far the doc says to watch what I eat. But dropping dead before the age of 60 is common for men in my family. my gramps died of a heart attack at 48, and my dad had his first at 55. He never smoked nor does he drink. So I think about it all the time, and more so now with the meds.   
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Lis

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 11:53:16 pm »
Terry...

If you make me cry 1 more time... then the affair is OFF!!!  (LOL)

Please keep close watch on how you feel... you are too special to me... and there will be NO DEATHS.... thats an old trick.. its been done WAY too many times..

love you man!!

lis
poz 1986....

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 12:07:49 am »
Terry,
So sorry you had the heart attack. Damn, it was a good thing you trusted your instinct and got some help! glad you are feeling better. It is crazy that they didn't get you the meds. That is crazy!
Best of luck, and wish you a speedy and full recovery!
Positive since 1985

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 06:16:10 am »
Terry, sorry to hear off your heart problems, and horrified to hear about the Hospital Pharmacy being unable to supply your meds.
wishing you all the best, in your recovery.

John(UK)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 04:39:45 am »
Hi Terry,

I am sad to hear, that you've had a heart attack, But I am also very glad that you you saw the signs, and got yourself to the emergercy room. Hope things continue to improve for you. Take care of yourself , and take it easy !! As far as the problems with the Hospital pharmacy....Why doesn't that surprise me for some reason.( valuble lesson here for everyone). When you mentioned about your roomate in the hospital, all I could think of, was we can not take each and everyday for granted.

Hang tough--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.