Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:15:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773226
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 271
Total: 272

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Harebrained question?  (Read 5313 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

Harebrained question?
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:26:01 pm »
Looking mostly for U.S. responders but all constructive comments are welcome. What if there was a law saying that if a person tells a company they're hiv+ then the company MUST give them

5 extra sick days (gosh I wish they would call it health days but whatever)

and

5 extra 'flex days' where you can start 2 hours late or leave 2 hours early but not both.

I mean, what politician would be against that??  ???  ???

It's good to tell someone who discloses "Wow, that's reeeally brave. I admire you." Okay, fine, good for the soul and all that but what about actions that can help tremendously in a practical sense?

Offline Iggy

Re: Harebrained question?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:32:22 pm »
I'm not certain the context of what you are asking since this is in the Activism forum - is this something you are going to propose to your congressperson?

My gut reaction on the idea is probably what the congressperson will say: NO.

I think it's a slippery slope to make virus/disease/affliction specific critera for medical leave. 

I'm sure the first reaction will be: what about people with cancer?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 02:36:06 pm »
Technically HIV is covered under the Disabilities stuff, even if you're not technically disabled and an employer is supposed to make "reasonable accommodation" as such, though of course that is vague and open to interpretation.  Or at least this is my understanding of it.

I don't see any politician going above this current situation though for exactly the reason Iggy states.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:34:17 pm »
I this part of the country  many companies have "personal days"   no particular reason but need some "personal time"    My last company had no limit on this but usually expected that this be held to a day or two unless there was some really compelling issue.....the "sick days" were more of an insurance thing...sometimes had to file "claims" if out sick  and it counted against the company as a whole by affecting the rates they had to pay....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Suntropic98

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 05:36:35 pm »
Looking mostly for U.S. responders but all constructive comments are welcome. What if there was a law saying that if a person tells a company they're hiv+ then the company MUST give them

5 extra sick days (gosh I wish they would call it health days but whatever)

and

5 extra 'flex days' where you can start 2 hours late or leave 2 hours early but not both.

It's good to tell someone who discloses "Wow, that's reeeally brave. I admire you." Okay, fine, good for the soul and all that but what about actions that can help tremendously in a practical sense?

Hi Alex! Long time no hear!  :o 8)

My thoughts, it will not happen here.......if you're looking for that kind of treatment then you need to go to France.  :D

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 05:42:46 pm »
I don't think its feasible because then it puts all of us pos people in the same group, whereas many of us have the virus affect us in different ways.  Some of us may need those extra days because of health issues, where others may not. 

I'm sure the first reaction will be: what about people with cancer?

I agree with the above post.....then everyone would want time off for whatever health issue they had.  We don't need to isolate ourselves anymore as a group, I would rather blend, and certainly not disclose to an employer if I didn't want to. 

Why would someone necessarily need those extra days off if they were pos?  You're again assuming the virus has the same effect on all of us.  If something serious came along that required hospitalization, then short term disability would kick in, wouldn't it?

I like my privacy with the virus and respect other pos people's right to privacy, too.  I can just hear the bitches at work....."Well, she's had 11 sick days already this year......." 

No need to draw that kind of attention.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:45:07 pm by MOONLIGHT1114 »
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »
it's a great idea but i have a really bad feeling that it could backfire as there really are people crazy enough to get infected for extra days off!

and wouldnt it mean that companies would not want to hire poz people cos they werent as 'cost effective'?

where i work im lucky enough to have flex so sometimes i can come in as late as ten. not always but sometimes. and let me tell you it really does make a difference. also being in the uk our sickday situation is not quite as draconian as in the states. that having been said ive still had issues with my absence, regardless of what it is that is making me sick.

keep coming with the ideas!
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 04:39:13 am »
In Germany, this is covered under the disability laws. Once you have a disability degree of at least 50 %, you are eligible for 5 extra days off, to spend on sickness, doctor's visits or holidays. No matter what ailment. However, to reach the 50%, an infection with HIV is not sufficient, there need to be stronger AIDS related complications. Another part of the law encourages companies to employ disabled persons, they get a tax cut if they fulfill a certain quota. That's the theory. But because of fears and stigma, the reality looks different for poz folks.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline dixieman

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 10:36:46 am »
Philly mentioned disability stuff... its called the American disability act... ADA... it does not express 5 days... you have rights under ADA... but, you have to use your sick days... or alotted vacation days but, its more in protection of your employment...its to make reasonable accommadations for your disability... not time off given status quo... check with your case worker and or human resource officer of the company your employed... you do not have to reveal your disability until you make a claim...

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 11:10:12 am »
5 extra sick days (gosh I wish they would call it health days but whatever) and 5 extra 'flex days' where you can start 2 hours late or leave 2 hours early but not both.

Others have pointed out ADA, the unevenness of how HIV impacts individuals, and the outcry that would be heard from other disease communities.  I would more concerned that a proposal like this would perpetuate the "AIDS Queen" archtype that has been developed in many minds and media outlets, and which may even be played out by a very small number of HIVers. 

After I returned to work following diagnosis in 1998 (10-week long absence with hep A) and since then, I have expected no special treatment because of the virus, simply the ability to schedule medical visits as any other employee might need to do.  When I was going to NIH every week 18 months ago for study, I even made up my time in the office!  I suspect that the vast majority of HIVers feel the same way, yet we also support the allowances made under ADA for those who need job modifications.  However, setting us all aside with additional time off suggests that we are all less than capable of doing our jobs and more frail than our average co-worker.  To the contrary, we are largely more durable, persistent and fearless in our work than those around us, though again some HIVers may need allowances.

Give me a handout because I accomplished something special for my community, not because I took a bugged-up load up my bum 25 years ago!

Peace,
David

FYI....  I did explain to my boss yesterday that I get lab work on 9/29 marking 2 years off meds and that I might take a "mental health day" the following Wednesday or Thursday when the results are in, just to process the news, good or bad.  He shrugged his shoulders "Like you haven't called in sick before when you don't want to deal with us?!  Do what you need to do to take care of yourself."
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 06:29:33 pm »
Not a harebrained question at all Alex. Does this have to do with what we discussed the other day? If so, I think it needs more "fleshing out" as it were. First determine the problem, determine if there is something which already addresses the issue (even if inadequately) and then determine what service(s) might be provided to correct or at least better the situation.

Most who've responded have pointed out the resistance to these efforts if it is cloaked in an HIV/AIDS text exclusively. It looks as though either HIVers or even any person with a chronic illness are getting some sort of special treatment.

Anyway, not sure if I'm on the right track but I wanted to throw in my two cents.  :)

Marc

(Who REALLY needs to start taking his Concerta!)
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Maestro

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 09:47:41 am »
Hold on...I'm confused...are we asking if a population of people that doesn't want to be treated special wants to be treated special?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.