Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:07:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why Equality is a Big Deal  (Read 6355 times)

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Why Equality is a Big Deal
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:31:54 pm »
I read this and immediately thought back to those that don't see the need to recognize gay marriage, those that don't see the need to repeal DADT, those that don't see how stigma against gay people causes not only harm, but in this case death:
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2010/09/video-another-bullied-gay-boy-13-dies-after-hanging-himself-from-a-backyard-tree.html

Now, tell me that equality is not a big deal.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Why Equality is a Big Deal
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:14:43 pm »
A similar tragedy:

A Rutgers University freshman is believed to have taken his own life last week shortly after he was broadcast engaging in sexual activity with another man.

According to WPIX, officials believe the student, who the New York Daily News has identified as 18-year-old Tyler Clementi, jumped from the George Washington Bridge on Sept. 23. His car was found nearby with his computer and cellphone inside.

WPIX reports that the Clementi's alleged roommate, Dharun Ravi, and another first-year student, Molly Wei, were charged with invasion of privacy for secretly leaving a camera in the his bedroom on Sept. 19 and posting footage of an ensuing sexual encounter on the internet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/29/dharun-revi-molly-wei-charged_n_743539.html

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:44:07 pm »
Watching that video broke my heart, I can't imagine the grief and pain those youngsters went through when they were told their brother/best friend didn't make it.

Those who were responsible should be charged with murder, I can't believe, in the case of the young man who jumped from the bridge, that all they were charged with was "invasion of privacy"..where the hell is the justice in that.

DAMN RIGHT EQUALITY IS A BIG DEAL.

Hugs
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:45:44 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »
I've said it before, extremists are back and they are betting bolder.  >:(
We need to fight and we need to do it fast. Can show them "tolerance" when we have them all up in cages.  ;) :D

Perez on the Rutgers tragedy:

http://perezhilton.com/tag/molly_wei/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:40:58 pm by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline next2u

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:10:47 pm »
damn straight it is. wait, damn right it is. it is very fucking important. makes me want to campaign or something.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:54:03 am »
"Those who were responsible should be charged with murder, I can't believe, in the case of the young man who jumped from the bridge, that all they were charged with was "invasion of privacy"..where the hell is the justice in that."

I agree something more needs to come of their actions and I suspect it will. Seeing their mugs on our national news this morning is assurance that they are going to get quite a taste of what they did to Tyler's privacy. They have fucked themselves and their privacy big time. What a tragic loss of a talented young man.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:00:46 am by emeraldize »

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:42:27 am »
Those who were responsible should be charged with murder, I can't believe, in the case of the young man who jumped from the bridge, that all they were charged with was "invasion of privacy"..where the hell is the justice in that.

From the above article:
In New Jersey, it is a fourth-degree crime to collect images showing sexual content or nudity without the subject's consent, and it is a third-degree crime to transmit the relevant content... If convicted for third degree offenses, the Ravi and Wei could face up to five years in prison. Neither gave comment to news sources who contacted them.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:19 pm »
I think we should sic 4chan on them.  For starters.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Jody

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »
It was terribly heartbraking to read about Tyler taking his life so tragically.  Those two young folks wers so incredibly stupid and heartless to tape young people who seek the ultimate privacy and to destroy that trust deserves punishment.  But a talented young man taking his life is the worst possible tragedy.  I wish he had thought it out differently, it wasn't to be.

Jody :(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:18:45 pm »
I am torn on if anyone should be charged with a crime. If this was a webcast of a straight couple making out, it might prove embarrassing, but I doubt it would lead anyone to commit suicide. The fact that this kid happens to be gay and suffers stigma because of that fact, is not the fault of the interlopers. They did not create that stigma against gays by themselves and to a degree, we are all guilty of allowing stigma to fester. Every time you refuse to call someone on saying or doing mean hateful things, you contribute to stigma.

Rather than focusing on two college students, who did something incredibly cruel, I would rather see the focus on the ones who propagate this hatred towards gays, or any group, that they oppose. Pressure should be brought against those who make a living at demeaning others. You know who they are and you should take every opportunity to oppose such hatred, whether it be nationally or locally.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »
NYTimes has a very long, active, and revealing comments thread going on this.
http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/nyregion/30suicide.html
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 11:04:29 pm »
This just aired today on the local news.  I really hope these gay couples weren't targeted because of their sexuality.

http://www.wlky.com/r/25224163/detail.html

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 09:45:10 am »
If this was a webcast of a straight couple making out, it might prove embarrassing, but I doubt it would lead anyone to commit suicide. 

I can definitely see straight teenagers being suicidal over having themselves secretly recorded having sex and having it broadcast. I see teens who have attempted suicide for much less serious situations. For example, take a teen girl with insecurities about her body or sexuality and then her "sex tape" starts making the rounds. Classmates start teasing her about her flat chest, her fat ass, the sounds she made, her fumbling technique, that she is a slut. Then add her parents view the video and are not supportive but furious. Many teens don't know how to cope with that kind of humiliation and alienation. The fact this young man was gay and that our society says homosexuality is shameful makes an already overwhelming situation exponentially more unbearable.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:09:03 am »
I can definitely see straight teenagers being suicidal over having themselves secretly recorded having sex and having it broadcast. I see teens who have attempted suicide for much less serious situations. For example, take a teen girl with insecurities about her body or sexuality and then her "sex tape" starts making the rounds. Classmates start teasing her about her flat chest, her fat ass, the sounds she made, her fumbling technique, that she is a slut. Then add her parents view the video and are not supportive but furious. Many teens don't know how to cope with that kind of humiliation and alienation. The fact this young man was gay and that our society says homosexuality is shameful makes an already overwhelming situation exponentially more unbearable.

Totally agree with you. It's not about gay/straight/masturbation/whatever--this is about invasion of privacy and its subsequent broadcast. This a.m., the news said the charges may be ratcheted up to hate crime status if they can prove it was not a prank as dear sweet tech-savvy lawyered up Ravi is asserting. As Killfoile noted previously, every time we refuse to call someone out for doing mean, hateful things, it contributes to stigma. Where I disagree with Killfoile is that focus should be taken off of these two RUTGERS BRAINIACS. I say call them out big time---they should be smart enough to know better than to rig a roomful of hidden cameras and stream it live on webcam. On the other hand, some people are too fucking stupid to separate themselves from a pack of idiots or they were raised in a hateful, harsh setting. And, I suppose I'm optimistic enough to think it's never too late to attempt to educate them.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »
I think I need to clarify my comments, because my intent was obviously not clear. What these two students did was hateful and possibly illegal, however, I do not believe that they had criminal intent when they broadcast the event. This does not absolve them of responsibility, my question is to what degree are they culpable, because this happens every day, across the globe and very few suicides result from most of these events. I am not condoning what they did, yet they are kids, just like the deceased and do we want to punish them, for life, because societal pressure and discrimination against gays contributed to the suicide. Yes, they need to be called to account, for what they actually did and not the end result. Unless they had true malice for this poor kid, they only did something incredibly hateful and stupid, as kids are wont to do and they should face consequences as dictated by the law and not fueled by emotions.

Further, I should have said that as well as addressing these two students behavior, it was time for everyone to begin to attack our leaders and pundits that propagate this hate. Somehow, these students thought it would be funny to out a gay man and they learned that from someone. As long as we allow an atmosphere of loathing and hatred to exist, for whatever group, we need to be cautious when we seek to punish people for doing things that a large part of society condones. The tragedy here goes far beyond the loss of life. To me, it signals a continuation of conquering by division and how far too many people seem to lack the ability of true rational thought. The lack of empathy in America is appalling and this is the price some of us must pay. The real crime here is a society that promotes hatred against gays.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:21:51 pm by killfoile »

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 02:21:32 pm »
Follow up stories say Tyler was dealing with the invasion kind of normally - he decided to report it to the RA and wondered if whistle blowing might work or backfire.  He was chatting about it on a gay site, wondering what to do. Then suddenly, its seemed he decided to kill himself.

Bewildering reports from friends of the accused.  They say that Ravi is a wiseass, but has gay friends and isn't known for gay bashing.  If I am correct what we know so far is that Ravi was on the border between gay bashing or being a criminal prankster - he said - "I saw him kissing a dude. Yah!" Which is kind of different than - he's a fucking pervert / faggot, etc.  That Tyler was with a dude seems to have added sensational energy to the invasion of privacy but its not clear the invasion of privacy was motivated by hate.  Maybe it was just mean pranks permitted by crappy judgment and bad character.  Maybe it was the extrovert type A bullying the introvert type B.

Its clear for the criminal aspects of invasion of privacy -- and its clear that Tyler experienced it as harassment based on his sexuality.  But its not clear if that was basically the intent (gay bashing) by Ravi and Wei.

I don't know if you have to prove intent to prove a hate crime.  Anyone know this?  Is it hate felt by the victim or a crime motivated by the criminal expressing his hate.  I suppose it could be a hate crime even if the criminal is not aware that he is a hater.  If fag-bashing seems normal to the criminal, he might not realise he's a hater, but still could commit a hate crime, because of society's laws and interpretations.

http://thephoenix.com/BLOGS/phlog/archive/2010/09/30/whats-hate-got-to-do-with-it.aspx

The Boston Phoenix had a good analysis of the contentious issue of hate in this crime.  

I just wonder if pursuing it as a hate crime makes sense if the hate is not easily established. Might be better to pursue it as a gross invasion of privacy, because, as gymrat shows, anyone could be pushed over the edge to despair if his her Achilles heel is sensationalised and publicized.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:33:13 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »
One thing that has me wondering is the fact that I've yet to see one mention of the other lad who was with Tyler. How is he doing with all this? Is he pressing any charges? Does he feel that it was a hate crime? I would have thought he would hold the key to some of these questions about the nature of the crime. 
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 04:31:07 pm »
Good call, Ann!
And probably Tyler should have gone straight to the real police, not the "authorities" with the power to do nothing like an RA.   Then again, who knows which authority would stop the abuse, and punish the abuser.  Tyler had even recently said Ravi was an "ok roommate".  Somehow the exposure added up to an overwhelming blow to lead to suicide. So one does wonder how the other victim feels.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 04:35:41 pm »
However the justice turns out, both Ravi & Wei will both now have to live with the crime and also look behind their backs all the time to keep safe. There will be many more same ole same ole sickos out to get even on them hereon. The wheels of retribution is turning. >:( ::) ;)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 04:42:40 pm »
This doesn't smell like a "hate crime" (whatever that might be), it seems like a stupid prank by two kids that went horribly wrong.

Never underestimate the capacity of teens to do dumb things nor to be unable to forsee the consequences of their actions. I'm sure that Ravi and Wei did not appreciate that their (alleged) act of wanton stupidity would result in their friend necking himself.

Should the offenders be prosecuted? Sure, if NJ law has been breached (and it seems to have been) then bring it on. No doubt the death of the boy adds an extra dimension which will play out nicely in court.

MtD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 06:58:51 pm »
In teenagers, the part of the brain that has to do with impulsivity, (which I believe is the nucleus accumbens, but I could be wrong), is not yet connected with the part of the brain that has to do with controlling impulses (the prefrontal cortex).  So, when you ask a teen "why did you do that," and (s)he says "I don't know," well, (s)he really doesn't know.

I'm not saying that they should be excused.  But I don't believe it was a hate crime.  Just a stupid action, that should lead to a consequence suitable to the crime.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.