Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 364
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Latest Vitamin D Drop  (Read 9319 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

My Latest Vitamin D Drop
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:03:46 am »
My Dr. informed me in June that my Vitamin D has dropped and prescribed me 50,000 units of Vitamin D pills.
 I took one a week for a few months. At the time he told me I was at 25. After taking these pills every week, it now has dropped from 25 to 17.

He said to double up on the 50,000 each week.
 Do I need to be concerned about this?

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any input. Just worried about my heart, as my bad cholesterol is at 180. He has me cutting back on one Norvir pill per day. I'm also cutting back on Prezista. He thinks this will help the cholesterol.
We shall see.
Positive since 1985

Offline RapidRod

Re: My Latest Vitamin D Drop
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:48:33 am »
15 min. a day of sun exposure will give you your daily Vit D requirement.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:58:39 am »
That would be nice. I hope that won't bring my Skin Cancer back, though...Decisions, decisions...
(I've lost one half of my ring finger already).
Positive since 1985

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:26:35 am »
Jeffrey,

I am wondering, if you may have a problem with Vitamin D absorption. Might want to ask your doctor about that.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:51:12 am »
Jeffrey,

In answer to your question,  It could be your digestive issues, causing poor absorption of the Vitamin D

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline veritas

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:46 am »

Here you go Jeff:

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/vitamin-d-absorption.html

As Ray said, it could be your digestive system, among other things. Depending on where you live, it is not as simple as going out in the sun. Other factors come into play.

v

Offline wow1969

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:41:22 am »
Same here ... I just had my annual physical ... Healthy as can be except for Vitamin D ... Taking sups for it now ...

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:15:16 pm »
Whatever you do, please do not go out in the sun, esepecially if you have already had skin cancer!@ You live in AZ, right? The sun there is too harsh to even casually walk around in without protection.

There are other ways to get to the bottom of this problem.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 03:30:11 am »
I had a doc tell me that you just can't take Vit D supplements and get the benefit.  He said you need the sun exposure to activate it.  What do any of you think of that response?  I can't find an answer on whether this is true.

I'm hearing more and more docs say to get that 10-15 mins of sun per day without sunscreen.  They say it is best to get this 10-15 mins in the early morning or evening--not between noon and 3pm.  They say to use protection the rest of the day, of course.  I'm sure if you've had skin cancer, this may change things.

Offline veritas

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 05:09:24 am »

tednlou2,

You need the sun to make vitamin d without supplementation, however, vitamin d3 is what your body makes as a final product that you use for health. So vitamin d3 taken directly can be used by your body without sunshine.

By the way , the angle of the sun has a lot to do with vitamin d mfg by your body, so early morning and late afternoon doesn't seem to lend itself to vit d processing by the body as does sunshine between 11;00 AND 3:00.

A lot of these questions are answered in another thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26322.0

v

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 05:48:12 am »
Thanks everyone for the input. I now have some good questions to ask my DR. for the next visit.

I hope he can sort out some of the conflicting information. To Sun, or not to Sun?

and the absorption issue. Very interesting stuff.
Positive since 1985

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 07:50:30 am »
By the way , the angle of the sun has a lot to do with vitamin d mfg by your body, so early morning and late afternoon doesn't seem to lend itself to vit d processing by the body as does sunshine between 11;00 AND 3:00.

v

Something I often wonder about in this regard is our "daylight savings time".  Since our "noon" is really eleven o'clock in the morning, our "3:00" really 2:00 etc, should we take that into account?  Should we translate 11:00 and 3:00 into 12:00 and 4:00 for the part of the year when our clock has been distorted in this way? 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline veritas

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 09:09:03 am »
Nestor,

Since both standard and daylight savings time are co-ordinated with the angle of the sun at these seasonal times, the 11:00 to 3:00 timeframe is constant as far as the helpfulness of the sun is concerned.
However, depending on where you live, the sun might not be strong enough to give the appropriate "dose" for vitamin d mfg by your body (ie: in the USA, anywhere north of Atlanta). Thus supplementation in the winter is advised. Of course, if your vit d level is below optimal, your doc might advise supplementation in the summer as well, as the op's doctor did.

v
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:16:16 am by veritas »

Offline dixieman

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 11:28:02 am »
Ive had skin cancer... the damage was done to my skin wayyyyyyyyy back when I was a teenager... so 15 minutes is not going to kill you.. I get out in the morning and I take vita-d supplements. When your doctor speaks of tooooo much sun... he means dont cook yourself outside? Tanning for hours on end is not good for anyone... enjoy the daylight!

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 06:47:54 pm »
tednlou2,

You need the sun to make vitamin d without supplementation, however, vitamin d3 is what your body makes as a final product that you use for health. So vitamin d3 taken directly can be used by your body without sunshine.

A lot of these questions are answered in another thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26322.0

v

See, there is a lot of misinformation even with doctors.  The first being with being told you need sun exposure to activate Vit D supplements.  And the other is when to get sun.  I recently saw docs on The Today Show saying we should get that 10-15 mins, but said to avoid early afternoon.  I'm sure they were worried about skin docs jumping all over them.  They even said they've had some backlash from derm docs who many believe you should never be in the sun without protection--even for just 15 mins.

I agree with you.  I would think you'd get the best benefit for those 15 mins during the early afternoon when the sun is strongest.  I know I don't get enough sun.  I do know when I spend time out in the sun I feel much better. 

Are basic Vit D supplements good enough like the kind you get at the drug store?  I bought some brand called Spring Valley High Potency Vitamin D 2000 IU.  I've been hearing so much information about how just about every cell in our bodies use Vit D and how most people are deficient, but I'm not telling you anything you guys don't already know.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »

Are basic Vit D supplements good enough like the kind you get at the drug store?  I bought some brand called Spring Valley High Potency Vitamin D 2000 IU.  I've been hearing so much information about how just about every cell in our bodies use Vit D and how most people are deficient, but I'm not telling you anything you guys don't already know.

Very often Vitamin D is included along with calcium together in one pill since it helps the body absorb calcium. Calcium is also a good supplement if one has HIV since the virus itself as well as the meds can affect bone density so why not kill two birds with one stone?

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 07:51:45 pm »
My Dr. informed me in June that my Vitamin D has dropped and prescribed me 50,000 units of Vitamin D pills.
 I took one a week for a few months. At the time he told me I was at 25. After taking these pills every week, it now has dropped from 25 to 17.

He said to double up on the 50,000 each week.
 Do I need to be concerned about this?

Is the vitamin D supplement you are taking is vitamin D2 ? Most prescription vitamin D supplements are.
If so, I would switch to some vitamin D3, which is more bioavailable than D2.

See http://www.easy-immune-health.com/Vitamin-D3.html for more info .

With your blood levels, try to take the same amounts of vitamin D3 IU as were prescribed to you, ie 100,000 IU/week, or 14,300 IU per day. This may require more pills/softgels. But you are taking some meds every day already so it's just a few to add to the pillbox.

I would recommend Now vitamin D3, 5000 IU softgels. Take 3 per day.

See http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Vitamin-D-3-Highest-Potency-5-000-IU-240-Softgels/22335?at=0

Offline Zohar

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 04:48:44 am »
15 min. a day of sun exposure will give you your daily Vit D requirement.

Only true to a certain extent.  You need to expose your face, arms, back and legs in order to generate the requisite amount of vitamin D, which isn't always practical in certain climates, such as the UK.  Also people with dark skins struggle to make sufficient vitamin D naturally as their skin pigmentation hinders the process. Vitamin jabs, which can be adminstered at the clinic, are a more efficient way of upping one's vitamin D, rather than oral supplements.
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:55 am »
Only true to a certain extent.  You need to expose your face, arms, back and legs in order to generate the requisite amount of vitamin D, which isn't always practical in certain climates, such as the UK.  Also people with dark skins struggle to make sufficient vitamin D naturally as their skin pigmentation hinders the process. Vitamin jabs, which can be adminstered at the clinic, are a more efficient way of upping one's vitamin D, rather than oral supplements.
I only take vitamin D gel tabs in the winter. Sun takes care of it during the summer months. Your ID doctor will explain it or at least should. The sun does a lot better than the vitamin D from the pharmacy and you can't over dose yourself on sun created vitamin D.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 05:35:45 am »
I only take vitamin D gel tabs in the winter. Sun takes care of it during the summer months. Your ID doctor will explain it or at least should. The sun does a lot better than the vitamin D from the pharmacy and you can't over dose yourself on sun created vitamin D.

My HIV doctor has explained this to me already when my vit D count was low, and said that the best option was the jabs, as the sun will not generate enough in many people naturally, as the OP has discovered.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:39:53 am by Zohar »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 05:40:27 am »
My HIV doctor has explained this to me already when my vit D count was low, and said that the best option was the jabs, as the sun will not generate enough in many people naturally.
It doesn't work for you sitting behind a computer. I went from 11 to 42. That increase was due to sun exposure.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 06:32:37 am »
It doesn't work for you sitting behind a computer. I went from 11 to 42. That increase was due to sun exposure.

I asked my doctor if I spent 30 minutes a day walking outside- which I do most days anyway - if that would be enough to generate enough vit D and his answer was 'No, unless you wear t-shirts AND shorts all the time, not enough skin will be exposed.'.  If you know anything about the UK weather then you will be aware that even in the summer, this is not always possible.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 10:52:07 am »
Wow, this is becoming quit the mystery. So many opinions. It appears that no one really knows what causes the drop in Vitamin D. I will bring this thread to my DR, because I'm confused more now than I was before. I'll try to get some answers from him, if I can.
I never expected this to be such a mystifying event. It appears different things work for different people.
I will trust my Dr's advice, and more forward from there.
I appreciate everyone input.

Talk about food for thought:) :) :) :)
Positive since 1985

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 05:14:33 pm »
Jeffrey,

Wow, this is becoming quit the mystery. So many opinions. It appears that no one really knows what causes the drop in Vitamin D.

Many things can cause a drop. Actually a number of medications cause vitamin D depletion. Some HIV medications do, but also others, such as psych meds, or even prilosec. If your regimen changed in any way recently, that could explain the drop in vitamin D. I have to continuously take D3 supplements just to maintain my vitamin D level, otherwise it drops due to medication side effects.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 08:25:47 pm »
Wow, this is becoming quit the mystery. So many opinions. It appears that no one really knows what causes the drop in Vitamin D. I will bring this thread to my DR, because I'm confused more now than I was before. I'll try to get some answers from him, if I can.
I never expected this to be such a mystifying event. It appears different things work for different people.
I will trust my Dr's advice, and more forward from there.
I appreciate everyone input.

Talk about food for thought:) :) :) :)

Jeffrey,

Hey buddy sorry to hear about your current problems.   I know what I am about to say is totally off the wall, but it might be something to ask the doctor about.  I've done a lot of reading about vitamin D absorption for reasons other than for myself...lol.

Ok.. so here goes the strange part bud..... I raise reptiles and vitamin D is essential to their health.  I could give vitamin D to these guys all day long and they will not be able to process it effectively without sunlight.  I really believe the above comments involving absorption of vitamin D and sunlight are on point because of my experience with my reptiles.

I am aware of your previous skin issues and like the OP stated above getting out it the morning sun and late afternoon would be beneficial.  

I'm done...  go ahead and call me crazy now.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 10:42:00 pm »
skeebo,
I'm none to judge, damn now way I think your crazy!  Hey, all options have to be on the table.

My Dr. is going to get an ear full. Maybe some sun light full, too.

Not much surprises me after 25 years with this wonderfully awesome virus :)

Madbrain, I have had no med changes during this period...if anything I missed more doses than I normally do. I just this week am cutting back on Norvir(From 2 to 1 per day. And reducing my Perzista a few hundred mg's a day, but this to fight my bad cholesterol.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:46:50 pm by Jeffreyj »
Positive since 1985

Offline fearless

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 11:01:10 pm »
Here you go Jeff:

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/vitamin-d-absorption.html

As Ray said, it could be your digestive system, among other things. Depending on where you live, it is not as simple as going out in the sun. Other factors come into play.

v

Interesting stuff about too many showers.
Vitamin D never seems an issue for me. Whenever I have it done it is significantly above the normal range.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 02:59:32 am »
Hey Jeff,

This is quite the pickle, but you are not alone. Although Roddles has shown what negative people may experience with sun exposure, it doesn't seem to hold true for we pozzies.

My state, New Mexico, now requires doctors to test all of us pozzies for Vitamin D levels because it has been found that sun doesn't do it.

As you know, we here in the Land of Enchantment get an average of 350 days of full sun each year. That means full exposure, no clouds, overcast and very little pollution. We also, usually, have very little humidity and much of the state is a mile above sea level, or thereabouts.

If we don't get enough sun here, nobody does.

I know people here who still have to take Vitamin D supplements year round. Some, like you, have had to take mega doses of vitamin D for a while until they got their levels back to a more normal level.

They still have to take supplements thereafter to maintain the levels.

Why? I have no idea. But they do. It just seems to be part and parcel of living with the bug.

I take 1,000 mgs of Vitamin D each day. My doctor said I should take between 800 and 1,000, but I couldn't find any 800 mg tablets. I also spend copious amounts of time in the sun, even when it is more than 100 degrees. I don't mind the heat when its a dry heat.  8)

I hope you get to the bottom of this. In the meantime, keep taking the pills. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and sending some positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 04:49:30 am »
Mark,

Good post, however, just one correction.

I take 1,000 mgs of Vitamin D each day. My doctor said I should take between 800 and 1,000, but I couldn't find any 800 mg tablets. I also spend copious amounts of time in the sun, even when it is more than 100 degrees. I don't mind the heat when its a dry heat.  8)

Vitamin D intake is usually measured in IU (international units).
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_unit .

Vitamin D: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 μg cholecalciferol/ergocalciferol

That means 1mg of vitamin D is 40,000 IU. I assume you are taking 1000 IU, not 1000 mgs, which would be 40 million IU, a toxic dose.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 08:04:42 am »
My doctor had me start taking 500mg twice daily (so 1000mg total) of vitamin D in 2007, so I've done it now for three years.  We did this when the first viread-related reports were coming in about bone density possibilities.  I don't particularly get much sun naturally.  I forget what my last Vit. D lab tests were but they were in normal range so I guess it works.  It's also some cheap ass Vit. D that I get with a prescription but I see by googling you can buy it for $5/bottle. I can't even tell if it's D2 or D3.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 11:18:00 am »
Mark,

Good post, however, just one correction.

Vitamin D intake is usually measured in IU (international units).
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_unit .

Vitamin D: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 μg cholecalciferol/ergocalciferol

That means 1mg of vitamin D is 40,000 IU. I assume you are taking 1000 IU, not 1000 mgs, which would be 40 million IU, a toxic dose.

OOPS, you're right. It is 1,000 IU.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.