Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 333
Total: 334

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: brief unprotected anal sex, just how risky? ann or someone...any hope?  (Read 13461 times)

Offline freakedoutmama

On April 10th, I got extremely intoxicated and ended up having sex with stranger from the UK. He used condom but then proceeded to play around my "backdoor." I allowed him to insert a few times and he continued for maybe 30 sec or so before asking if condom was still on, he had not ejaculated. He was surprised by my question because apparently had taken it off thinking it was not needed for there. He put condom on and we continued with vaginal sex. A couple min later I heard and felt a popping noise. We checked condom and it had broke! At this point, I was so freaked out, I told him we had to stop n I had to go.
A few days later, weird headaches started with sore throat, and by week's end the body aches and fatigue was pretty bad, no fever though. This continued for about two wks. I had burning sensation mostly on arms and tingling started in groin area with swollen groin lymph nodes. Went to gyno and diagnosed he guessed I had bacteria infectionand gave me antibiotics. Pap came back normal but signs of yeast so he then put me on vaginal cream. Went back at 6 wks post exposure because still feeling like yeast was there n was prescribed Flucosonole. At 7 1/2 wk went back and had vaginal swab which showed bacteria again. He put me on antibiotic again along with another dose of Flucosonole to wipe out both bacteria n yeast overgrowth. I read this is common first sign for newly infected women.
After all this I STILL have tenderness in groin along with weird tingling in groin area from time to time. I should tell u also that have tested neg at 5, 6 and 7wk. neg for clamydia, gono, syphilis at 8wk.
I am more hopeful with 7wk hiv test, but still just don't feel myself and am so worried that I will have robbed my little 1yr old's full time she should have had with her mama. I am convinced I am positive...I am now at 9 wk and just can't wait another 3-4 wk and may test again today...

My question - just how at risk do u think I am? Do these symptoms sound like I may have been infected? How likely would I be to test positive or indeterminate after my 7wk test?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:02:31 pm by freakedoutmama »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
While you did have a risk, that negative for HIV at 7 weeks is more than just encouraging. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. So with that negative at 7 weeks I do expect you will continue to test negative for a conclusive result at 13 weeks.

None of your symptoms are in anyway HIV-specific. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV, so we  do advise that anyone who is sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least annually.

Mixing casual sex and excessive drinking is a very risky business.

And unfortunately too many people think that condoms are only for vaginal intercourse. The only confirmed sexual risks for HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. So a condom is a must for those everytime. No exceptions.

I expect you to come out of this incident ok.
Andy Velez

Offline freakedoutmama

Thx for encouragement Andy. I just am so convinced though. I've never had such strange feelings in groin area before.  Have u ever heard of this with early Hiv? Just picturing my lymph nodes trying to contain and fight hard against virus. I am going to be retested again at 3mo mark for all stds.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Just in general you need to know that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms is ever the way to reliably know your HIV status. And there is nothing HIV specific about anything you are reporting.

And yes, I still expect you to come out of this ok. Now while waiting to test you need to make a real effort to focus your attention on other things in your life. It will help to pass the waiting time more easily than you may imagine is possible.
Andy Velez

Offline freakedoutmama

Thx, n yes, I understand about symptoms. Just driving myself crazy looking things up on internet and read such about lymphadenapathy from hiv, and with nothing going away after meds....

Anyway, I will try to think more positive. I do stay busy with my lil girl, but is bittersweet to be with her when thinking how I may have messed up her life with my carelessness. Not only this, but regretfully have to admit I am married too. I won't go into the details of why or how I got myself into the situation that I did, but really, there is no good excuse n alcohol most certainly fueled things. I have been using the excuse of my yeast infection for not having sex, but the guilt is making it hard to stay positive. If it were not for my girl, I would tell my hubby the truth and could take him leaving me, which he would. But I can't have this for my baby and am hanging on to coming out ok, learning from this stupid mistake, keeping my family together, and never ever letting something like this happen again.

Sorry to vent so much here, I know what I really need is to speak to a counselor too. Thx for ur words, n plz do check back...I will keep u posted. Plz pray for me or put some poz thoughts my way. Thank u!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
You need to stop indulging in looking on the internet. All it will end up doing is feeding your worst fears and all to no good purpose. The only way you will get the answer you want is by testing.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Mama,

Hiv does not normally create symptoms in the genital region. You should be tested for the other, more easily transmitted STIs that do cause genital symptoms. Ask your doctor or clinic for a full panel of tests.

I totally agree with Andy - with that negative seven week result, you are more than likely going to test negative at your three month conclusive test.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline freakedoutmama

K, so tested neg with rapid test yesterday at 9 wk mark. Although I am a little more relieved...I still am not on full rejoice mode. Correction to previous post...I tested neg for chlamydia, gono, syphilis at 4 wk, and then neg for syphilis, and hsv2 at 8 wk. Doc said we'll retest all again at 3mo.

I just still worry if I'm gonna be one of the rare that test positive at or after 3mo. My feet are weird lately, sometimes pins n needles, but other times feel like on fire and itchy. I've still been having tingling in groin and tender, swollen lymph nodes there. If I was infected with hiv, would I/should I more than likely have at least indeterminate results by now?

I realize it could be some other stds still, perhaps herpes because still window period, but I also know there are lots of other uncommon stds too and with not knowing a thing about the guy, other than he is from the UK...I just hope I can get some kind of diagnosis! Would uncommon stds show up on on a possibly related std test?

Unless, who knows...maybe I'm causing my body to be outta whack all on my own with stress. All I know is, I don't feel right down there!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Mamma,

You are highly unlikely to go on to test positive after a nine-week negative. If any of the symptoms you are complaining about had anything to do with seroconversion, you would have tested positive by now.

And yes, stress can do all sorts of things to your body. Chill out already. If you continue to feel unwell, see a doctor. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline freakedoutmama

So anxiety again after calling clinic were had testing done. Just wanted to talk to actual counselor there about my neg results. She stated she HAS seen people test indeterminate then later poz after having 9 week mark neg test. Why did she have to say this!! I was already worried prior to talking to her because of still weird symptoms. It seems that along with the yeast infection I'm pretty sure u still have, my feet now have fungal infection, athlete's foot...I know I need to stop reading stuff on internet but clearly, fungal infections have been known to be opportunistic infections for immune systems that are being weakened.
I continue to have strange stomach rumblings and weird rumblings in very low pelvic region. Sore throat is still there n feels like something almost stuck in throat.

I don't know why, by I just feel deep in my bones n in my heart that I am going to be one of those rare individuals that tests poz between 3-6mo mark. This is seriously killing me. My sis n few good friends whom I have confided in think I'm just being OCD about this n all is brought on from myself n I pray I don't prove them wrong. I am normally a happy, healthy person who has been free of any physical/mental issues so this has me even more freaked out...

I AM sitting here at state clinic to hopefully be seen be psych Dr to help with anxiety.  Hoping if I can calm down some physical stuff will subside...but I have serious doubts.

Offline freakedoutmama

Ann, Andy or anyone else who may know...

This whole time I have been thinking that seroconversion occurs with the proteins or antibodies being made one by one, leading to first an inconclusive test with one band, then later two, then later all 5 to be determined positive. I'm realizing now that this may not be the case that perhaps that all are created during seroconversion, but may just not be at detectable level for awhile. Is this why inconclusive tests are rare, it generally occurs the latter way?

Such emphasis is put on "it can take UP TO 3mo" to have detectable antibodies...I am now just so worried after a 9 wk neg test, that at 10,11, or 12 wk, I can all the sudden end up having all 5 bands show up on western blot after a preliminary pos elisa.

Have u yourself seen or heard of this happening? I know odds are in my favor, but just want to know how often u have seen it happen.

I wake up every morning now with sore armpit glands too like they have been fighting hard in a losing battle while I sleep. Getting weird taste in mouth again, eyeballs ache, tires, n have migrating achey joints...I'm just still sure of why n wish I could fast forward to two more wks....or better yet, rewind 2 1/2 mo ago!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Your symptoms are not in anyway HIV specific. And more importantly with the negative test result you have at 9 weeks you are almost guaranteed a negative at 13 weeks.

Stop churning up all this unnecessary drama. You have a few weeks to wait to get what I expect will be a conclusive negative result. We're not going to indulge you in speculation and what ifs and minutae when it all comes down to having to wait to test.

In the meantime you need to make a real effort to focus on other matters in your life. Don't bother saying you're too worried to do that. I can tell you that kind of response isn't going to fly here. Just do it.

Now.
Andy Velez

Offline freakedoutmama

Thx Andy. I know u r right...

Without indulging in what if questions and speculation, can u just tell me two little factors and I promise I can/will shift my focus...

1) HAVE u actually seen someone be neg at 9 or 10 weeks, then positive a week or 2 later?

2) Could seroconversion just take longer if infected with lower viral count from a minute amount of precum, no full ejaculation?

I promise to not rant anymore til my next conclusive 12 or 13 wk test. Just wanna know answer to these 2 things with ur experience with what u have seen and heard...plzzzzz.

I really do appreciate ur assertiveness to shift my focus...n promise I will try harder here!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Momma,

1. NO.

2. NO.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline freakedoutmama

Thx Ann. Though this should be reassuring, I still just can't shake the feeling of knowing I've got it n am just one of the rare few outside the norm...Feeling pretty bipolar about it all going back in forth between being so sure n then feeling like, no way, it just cannot be.

Got tested again at 10wk mark for chlam, gono, syphilis. Results back the 28th. Not being able to wait til 12 or 13wk mark, gonna do home access hiv test on Mon at 11wk mark. Will see Dr at 12wks to do herpes screening also since lymph nodes are still swollen n tender.

Thx for ur replies n support, plz keep ur positive thoughts going for me n I will keep u posted. I pray ur expectations for me are right!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Mama,

Your nine week negative is not going to change, regardless of what your head is telling you.

Instead of all this over-testing you're doing, you'd be wise to seek therapy from a mental health professional.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline freakedoutmama

I agree. I've seriously made myself crazy. Just so much to lose n maybe the guilt of how I disrespected not only my body, but worse...my family, has gotten the best of me. Just can't deny the still weird eyeball aching, headaches, tiredness, n weird discharge still. I know most certainly hiv specific, hope just from stress.

My frequent testing is moreso that it does change, I wanna know ASAP for my hubby's sake.(still not having sex n sooner I know, sooner I can let him know why!)

Wish my insur covered mental health! Have appt with university clinic with master's degree intern...guess anything/anyone may help!

Thank u sincerely!!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:55:12 pm by freakedoutmama »

Offline freakedoutmama

Another question...

First I have to say, I'm more thinking that perhaps I have been infected with herpes 2. Symptoms seem to match up more with that really...the tingling, sometimes itching and discharge, and swollen lymph nodes down below. Though I did have neg hsv2 test at 8 wks, my doc said it could take up to 3-6mo to show on blood test. I don't have visible sores outside but have read that u can have breakout inside vagina or rectum.

Anywayzzz...I know this is not place for opinion on other stds, and am not asking for thoughts on these symptoms, however, my question is this -

Have u heard of anyone having delayed HIV seroconversion due to coinfection with HSV2?

This is my biggest fear, perhaps I have double infection and reason for both not being able to be detectable yet!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
No, HSV2 infection would not delay seroconversion. And I agree with Ann in that I expect you to continue to test negative for HIV, your fears and doubts notwithstanding. 
Andy Velez

Offline freakedoutmama

Andy -

Thx for responding, and for ur confidence in my results. It does help!  Just very much hope I don't end up taking a blow in the confidence dept. Trying to get in with Dr tom for a vag swab to see if discharge is actually hsv2 and just been misdiagnosed as yeast. Sending off another Home Access home test tom too, will be 11wk n 2dy.

Will keep ya posted!

Thx!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Mama,

I have herpes and it's never once caused me to have a discharge. Have you also been screened for chlamydia, gonorrhea and trich? If you haven't you should ask for a FULL panel of STI testing.

Regardless of the outcome of your STI panel, I fully expect you to continue to test hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline freakedoutmama

Hi Ann,

Yes, I have been tested for all stds. We did baseline screening at 4wks, and just again at 9 wks. All neg for chlam, gono, syphilis, herpes. Don't think my doc did trich because he suspected it could have been that when I had my annual pap at 2 1/2 wk post risk. He prescribed metrodiazole (?) at that time saying it would treat whatever bacterial infection it turned out to be. Lab results ended up showing yeast. I then took flucozanole. A couple weeks later, still had same symptoms, took another Flucosonole. Another couple weeks later, another vag exam showed same bacteria n yeast still, so took same meds for both at same time...

Just yest, now 11wk2dy post risk, another vag exam still showing same bacteria n yeast...I am just beside myself and want to feel clean again! Doc requested lab to determine which bacteria is still present, so awaiting results. I am just so scared from reading how these persistent infections are very common with newly hiv infected women. Since all other stds are ruled out at this time, and doc says yeast is usually from an std...it doesn't leave much else to pin it on, in addition to all symptoms I had at 2-3 wk post exposure. I have not had sex at all since my exposure, so I am in no way reinfecting myself.

Two other possibilities I try to hang on to -

1) I do have an IUD in place and just wonder if this is making the infections harder to go away...though doc insists would not be reason.

2) Have had throbbing from seemingly rt ovary and abdominal cramping during nonmenstrual times and nonovulating times. Last pelvic exam he felt ovary and was tender and uncomfortable with palpatation, so he has ordered a pelvic ultrasound for this Fri.

I find myself praying for lesser of two evils, preferring cancer over hiv. Moreso, I just hope maybe benign dust on ovary reeking all this havoc! Just too much of coincidence after my risky exposure!

Sorry to hear, but thank u for ur insight on herpes. I have read, however that if outbreak is inside the vagina or on cervix, it can cause discharge...doc says we will test again for that at 3mo and 6mo cuz of same window as hiv.

I sent off another home access hiv test yest, 11wk 2dy, and extra scared for this one, though everyone says it will be neg. Should have results later 2dy, or tom. Will keep ya posted.

I DO thank u for taking the time for all my rambling and for ur confidence in my upcoming results. I sooo hope u n everyone is correct!! Arrrrrggh!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Mama,

You have been at the back of my mind because I am currently also dealing with a yeast infection - caused by antibiotic use and nothing to do with my hiv status. I've always been prone to vaginal yeast infections even pre-hiv and many women are, regardless of what their hiv status may be.

Everyone has the organism that causes yeast infections on and in their bodies. We have friendly bacteria that keep the yeastie-beasties (as I like to call them) in check. When we take antibiotics, the antibiotics also kill the friendly bacteria and this causes an overgrowth of the yeast, which causes problems (itching, discharge, etc).

Our digestive tract is one of the favourite hang-outs for yeast - as well as bacteria. Make sure you always wipe from front to back after using the toilet, even if you're only having a pee. This is important. The brief anal play you engaged in before the condom break during the vaginal intercourse could quite possibly be the source of both your bacterial infection as well as the yeast infection, and the yeast infection has probably been made worse by the antibacterial meds you've taken since then.

You may need a longer course of fluconazole in order to get your yeastie-beasties back in check. Talk to your doctor about this. 

Other things to discuss with your doctor - how long has your IUD been in place? It may be time to remove it. IUDs are associated with intrauterine infections. Also, have you ever been checked for endometriosis? I had that (also pre-hiv) and it caused some of the symptoms you've been experiencing. Please keep in mind that I am in NO way attempting to diagnose you, I'm just giving you ideas to explore with your doctor.

Using pro-biotic drinks and eating sugar-free, bio-active yogurt while taking antibiotics can help. There are many diet ideas on the internet for people who are having trouble getting their yeast-overgrowth under control. Diet can be important where yeast is concerned because as I said, the digestive tract is one of the places it hangs out.

Other things that may help are making sure the area is completely dry after washing (tip- use a blow dryer) before using any topical cream for the itching yeast infections cause. Wear only cotton panties and avoid wearing pantyhose or tights or tight jeans or tight, polyester pants while you're having this problem. Your va-ja-ja needs to breathe!

We do not normally go into detail about non-hiv problems in this forum, but I wanted to help because I know how annoying yeast infections can be - I'm dealing with one right now (and taking my own advice!) so I thought for once I'd go the extra mile and try to help you out a bit. 

This is a one-off, so please, talk over what I've discussed with you with your doctor.

As for hiv, I really, really, really do not expect you to test positive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline freakedoutmama

Hi Ann,

First, I have to say thank u so much for ur thought and time to give a lil insight on all this...greatly appreciated. I know u r not trying to diagnose, so no worries.

Second, have to let u know my 11wk2dy home access test was neg! It does help ease my mind since close to 3mo mark, though of course I still have tiny thought in back of mind...the what if of if I fall into those rare few who turn poz between 3-6mo. Probably not, but ya never know! Only reason for real worry is fact that I knew nothing about the guy and fact that he was with group of all guys (some of which were questionably straight) and him being from UK...somewhat high rates of bisexual men and growing hiv population.

Since my doc treated me for bacteria before getting the results back, this most certainly did help the yeast along. I probably did have both the yeast n bacterial infection to begin with though. U brought u a good point though...the broken condom after anal play may have actually given me an e.coli infection. Not sure if med I was put on woulda treated this. He brought up e.coli as possible but rare, and I didn't even think about it. I know he said my last culture on Tue is only typing bacteria to see if trich, or can/will determine all possibilities...I will ask at follow up for sure. And yes, I'm a front to back wiper, n always use wet wipes after BMs too!  :)  I have been eating Activia yogurt everyday for past couple wks too in hopes of helping out good bacteria.

I've had my copper IUD in for a yr now, n never had any real issues. Though I did notice shortly after, I had some constitution issues, oddly enuf. Not sure if related to it, but prior to my risk, I had seen reg doc to discuss irregular BMs, and gas build up...he said possibility of IBS. However, could be reaction to IUD. Who knows...I already have an appointment for next wk to get it removed though!

I have kinda wondered about possibility of endometriosis, though I don't have irregular bleeding. But guess I may not have ALL symptoms...Hopefully my pelvic ultrasound tom will shed some light on this or if ovarian cyst, or whatever else may be going on!

Sooo....I do plan on tested for that final confirmation at 13wk, and will have 3mo hsv2 screening at visit next wk when having IUD removed. I'll be sure to discuss all this with doc too!

I thank u, thank u, thank u sooo very much again for ur thoughts and DO hope u get relief soon for ur yeastie-beasty!!!  ;)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Tell the back of your mind to give it a rest. I expect you to continue to test negative. It would be extremely unlikely at this point to get other than another negative result at 3 months.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?

Only reason for real worry is fact that I knew nothing about the guy and fact that he was with group of all guys (some of which were questionably straight) and him being from UK...somewhat high rates of bisexual men and growing hiv population.

You have to understand that his sexuality or the sexuality of his mates has NOTHING to do with your window period. It has NOTHING to do with how long it will take you to seroconvert. We always assume the other person is hiv positive when we give risk assessments and testing advice here.

In the UK, the window period is twelve weeks. You would actually be considered conclusively hiv negative here, even though you tested five days early. Your result is NOT going to change.

Good luck getting all the other stuff sorted out and remember, it has nothing to do with hiv. You do NOT have hiv!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline freakedoutmama

First, just wanna say that I hope I did not offend anyone by my comment about the sexuality of the guy I was with. I make no judgements on a person's sexuality, and I do realize it wouldn't actually affect my window period...just meant I felt I would be at higher risk if he was bisexual and perhaps engaged in top or bottom activity with men also.

With that said, I am happy to be able to say I have tested neg for hiv, herpes 2, and full hepatitis panel. Dr did not perform other std screening again since those were neg at 10wk. My pelvic ultrasound showed fluid filled cyst on left ovary which doc said was prob normal and had ruptured, causing some of the abdominal cramping I experienced. I no longer have yeast or bacteria infection and also had my IUD removed.I am trying to move on, but must admit that I still worry I could possibly fall into the 3% of people that may take up to 6mo for detectable antibodies! I can't ignore the weird digestive rumblings that go on at inappropriate times (I'm not hungry, or long after I've eaten.) My groin lymph nodes are still swollen (Dr said may subside since IUD out) and tender armpit glands, and my throat still is red and irritated. I know none of this is specific for hiv, but there ARE people that are making up that 3% right? Who is to say that it couldn't be me?

K, so I realize I need counseling to help me thru this. I really don't think its the guilt, cuz I would be able to pretend it never happened if it weren't for how I still feel and how I felt between 2-5wk after my incident.

I'm sure as advisors it must get frustrating to have us overly anxious people who are convinced we r positive after a 13wk neg test. But can u plz answer me this...

Isn't it true that everyone's body may respond differently and some may take up to the recommended 6mo mark? Also, if its true that hiv can remain dormant during asymptomatic phase, could it not also be dormant in lymph nodes and just perhaps cause such low levels of antibodies to be circulating and therefore remain undetectable?

I will await ur answers, though I suspect what it may be and apologize for my paranoia, but just can't quite shake that "what if." I can tell u I will be seeking counseling and will try to move on until I can reach that 6mo milestone and then will truly be satisfied...

Offline RapidRod

Are you on chemo treatments for cancer? Are you taking antirejection drugs for an organ transplant? Are you a chronic IV drug abuse? If not, you are not in the 3%.

Offline freakedoutmama

Well, for suuure not in 3% if that's all its connected to. But why do specialized drs, such as on "the body" website and my own Dr says six months is truly conclusive just because everyone's body is different?

On another note, I still get strange muscle and joint aches, eyes ache, have noticed few circular raised flesh colored bumps that look like molluscum contagiosum. Is it possible that my immune system is just too weakened to produce detectable antibodies with all this and lymph nodes went haywire and I acquired lymphoma?? I know kinda out there, but have u ever had a surprise with someone that doesn't fall into the categories u listed, but tested positive after 3mo?

Offline RapidRod

Using outdated information, the guidelines were changed in 2004.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
You really do need to find other things to focus on while waiting to re-test at 3 months and collect the negative result we expect you to get.

We're not responsible for what you may find on any other site. And if you continue to surf the net I can guarantee you that you'll find lots to feed your worst fears and all to no good purpose.

You're just going to have to wait to do your test. And frankly we are not here to hold your hand everytime you have another anxious thought. We expect you to test negative. Get busy with other things now until you can test. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Mama,

You have tested hiv negative at the appropriate time for a conclusive result. You do not have hiv.

You need to see a doctor about all these other things that you're worried about. Whatever is going on has NOTHING to do with hiv.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline freakedoutmama

Re: brief unprotected anal sex, just how risky? ann or someone...any hope?
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 07:48:02 pm »
I'm back...unfortunately still feeling same. I will not go into details of symptoms still ongoing, so as not to be questioning your advice. I just had neg Unigold rapid hiv from Planned Parenthood, as well as all other tests including hepatitis and herpes, 8 1/2mo post risk. HOWEVER...just would appreciate your insight on this:

Just wonder and worry if CDC got too lax with window period and maybe there are lots of others who have been told conclusive neg at 3mo, when in fact not...feeding to the epidemic. I'm sure there are tons of people who do not test crazy like me and put off many months or years, so who is to say when their seroconversion is/was...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »
I suggest you adhere to Ann's warning. HIV is not your concern, you have a conclusive test result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 08:22:02 am »
There is nothing more we can do for you in this setting. Your "wondering" notwithstanding, you have reliably tested negative for HIV.

Whatever is going with you symptomatically is not HIV. If your symptoms persist see another doctor for a diagnosis. We can't help you with that. And if you return again with the same issue you are going to get a Time Out from the site.

HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline freakedoutmama

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 05:12:39 am »
K, well i understand and will not continue on about symptoms or ask for advice on it either. I know you are all not doctors, but i do value your experience and knowledge. Not looking to be timed out and hopefully u will feel same. Just looking for a little clarity on something I found on The Body website:

link removed by moderator

I realize these response links from a few diff individuals are dated in late 90's, but isnt there still possibility for this to happen? Every one's body and immune system is not the same...

Secondly, and of more interest for your opinion is this info i found on the cdc's website regarding blood donor screening:

link removed by moderator

I wonder more on this since prior to all thia i was a regular blood donor. After my 6 mo neg test, i decided to try to get back to "norm life," and at 7mo i donated blood. I was feeling ill a wk later and honestly the uneasiness came back, so called in to ask them to discard blood. They said ok and i could donate again in 8wk and would contact if anything of concern...i later received my donor card.

So my next question is just what do u think about that particular CDC record of blood bank missing? I believe i also read elsewhere on their site that though rare, there have been 20 or 30ish cases (i forget exact #)

Plz plz plz...just let me know what u think of these 2 links and i promise i will not continue with any further questions.

Thank you again. I truly appreciate your time ro read and insight into this!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:34:16 am by Ann »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 05:32:43 am »
Freaked,

My take on it is that if you look long enough and hard enough, you'll find something on the internet to feed your irrational fears. Stop it. I've removed the outdated links you included. We don't need to have that here to freak other people out unnecessarily.

You absolutely do NOT have hiv. You have tested negative far outside the window period.

I suggest you stop chasing hiv and work with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is actually going on. Whatever it is, it is NOT hiv.

I'm giving you that time out you have been repeatedly warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:34:40 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.