Main Forums > Living With HIV

Big Appetite Problems.

<< < (7/7)

allopathicholistic:

--- Quote from: sfnoepaul on July 01, 2006, 08:06:42 pm ---Any other nausea remedies or wieght gain ideas?

--- End quote ---

Weight gain: hummus, tahini, avocado, whole grain pasta (not refined/white), olive oil (addto salad), peanut butter

Counter nausea: accupressure trick click here http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1002.msg10936#msg10936

Gary85741:

Paul...the Allans...all the rest:

Here's my two cents.  Well I enjoy eating, though one wouldn't think so to look at me.  I also cannot gain weight.  I'm six feet and struggle to not drop below 140#.  Though I've always been slender, I also have wasting.  Some people do not realize they are two different issues.

Marinol is useful for me, though the downside is that it's unpredictable.  I take it at dinner time (when I know I won't be getting near my car the rest of the day...LOL)  Sometimes I'll feel it in thirty minutes...sometimes in a few hours...sometime the next morning (grrr...not desirable)...and sometimes not at all.
     I'd prefer the real thing as the timing is very predictable, and the "munchies" effect may be even stronger than Marinol.  But I never know if or when I can obtain it, so I have to rely more on Marinol.
     I was a little surprised to read some have had nausea from Marinol.  Marinol and pot are supposed to be antiemetic (get rid of nausea.)  But like has been pointed out...we all do react differently to medications.

Megace...this one's a dad blame shame.  I took it in the late 1990s and it really helped me gain weight...was tempted to eat myself out of house and home. 
     But no one bothered to advise me that Megace contains Progesterone (female hormone!)  My libido promptly flatlined so I had to discontinue it.  A zero libido isn't exactly esteem-enhancing after all.

I will be starting Nandralone (injectible steroid) in a few weeks to see if that can be of some help.  I was reminded by my physician that it can only work with what it's got (must have sufficient caloric intake) and that I should exercise to promote its efficacy (which I will try to start doing again after several years' absence.)

A test I would recommend for anyone concerned with metabolic issues is the BIA (Biometric Impedence Analysis.)  It takes less than a minute and four electrodes are attached.  It reveals all sorts of results...including if one is sufficiently hydrated (which is important to an Arizonan in this 200 degree heat.)

Seems there aren't that many slender guys around.  Moreover it seems slender guys aren't perceived as attractive as most other body types.  Oh well...not many 55-year-olds can wear 31" Levis like me...LOL.

Gary

AlanBama:
Hi Gary

Sounds like we have a lot in common.   What dosage of Marinol do you use?   I think I need to try a higher milligram.

Wasting is a terrible problem, and terrible on one's self esteem.  I have struggled with it for years, so it helps to at least know that I'm not alone.   It sure seems that way sometimes, when most people I know are DIETING, rather than going through what we do.   

Lately, my big problem is that when I start eating, after a few bites, I get so nauseated I have to fight to keep it from coming back up.   That pretty much ends the meal.   I always manage to swallow those pills though.....I have a 'love-hate' relationship with my meds....I love the fact that they gave me my life back, but hate all the side effects I have lived with for so long.

Best of luck with the Nandralone...

Alan

wellington:
I'm suprised, but happy, to see others who are slim/skinny. My grandfather and aunt on my dad's side both have slim builds and I seem to be put together the same way as them. I'll never be fat. Often I elicit comments from people that I "should eat more". I cringe at times that personal ads limit responses to only "height/weight proportional" people (Though I am within the lower bound of the body mass index range for my height and weight, convincing others that this is so is often daunting!). While these things bother me to varying degrees from time to time, I feel great about my weight, even when I struggle to maintain it.

I shun having three prescribed meals a day. Instead, I eat when I get the "hungry" signal - whenever it occurs. Often, this results in four or more meals a day, many of them more like snacks than a full-course pig-out. I do tend to favour a breakfast of some description, getting fuel into my body shortly after I rise in the morning. Some say this kickstarts the metabolism and for me, this seems to be the case. Thereafter, though, eating is driven by that unique singal of hunger.

While I appreciate your comment that universaility seems attractive, if not elusive, I really relish that we're all different and that I'm struggling more to keep the weight on than work it off!

Best wishes on your journey.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version