Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:48:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773281
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 344
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Phobias, Fears and General heebie jeebies  (Read 8934 times)

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Phobias, Fears and General heebie jeebies
« on: September 23, 2006, 03:24:30 pm »
I won't drink out of green glass... not even beer.... it just makes it taste 'funny'.

I won't eat peas.. .they scare me http://evilpea.homestead.com/

I only go shopping for what I'm going to eat/drink that day unless it's frozen food.

As a smoker, I get anxiety when I know I'm down to my last pack (didn't even run out yet)

Walmart scares me... i once went to buy a small appliance, had it in my hands and had to leave the store (agoraphobic...well, with ugly people :P )

I hate body hair on me, other people it's ok.

I rarely wear shorts because I hate my legs, even here in Florida "It's summer sissy, hot, hot summer!"

Offline Teresa

Re: Phobias, Fears and General heebie jeebies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 03:52:53 pm »
Im afraid of heights...found that out when i went to Glacier Park in Montana. Me going to the top of the mountain everyday by car was not a pretty site. Remember Im from Kansas where its flat.

Im hate worms, snakes (anything that crawls on their belly), june bugs, and locus (those things get on you and they cling to ya).

I have a weak stomach so i cant watch any show that shows people eating bugs. I will puke..actually puke!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 04:02:39 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:24:58 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 04:26:51 pm »
Dingo, I can't say that I don't always go through the fear of running out of cigarettes, even if I have a couple of full packs laying around.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:46:17 pm »
nylon/acrylic , slugs, silence of the lambs

kate

Offline clarke

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 05:00:22 pm »
Don't like crowds (that's why we don't go to church, Walmart, Mall, too dang many peeps, too dang many germs).

Don't like Asparagus  :P
Absolutely scared of hospitals, I figure you go there to die, not get better.
Hate body hair (anyway to get rid of it?)
Hate tobacco smoke (makes me ill now, although I smoked Raleigh non-filters off and on for 20 years).

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 05:10:25 pm »
For starters, I don't like brown spots on fruit, being stuck in the middle of a cramped row in a theatre, being kept handcuffed with hands behind my back when arrested at activist demonstrations, seeing someone pick their nose and driving along very high places with steep drops right alongside the car.

Andy Velez

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 05:28:09 pm »
Hi Dingo.... interesting
well as a smoker....i occasionally run out on purpose to just see how I tolerate the feeling of NOT having any.  Its kind of neat you should try it.  A morning cup of coffee and.............NO cigarette.   
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 06:05:32 pm »
I hate it when my food touches on my plate.  At Thanksgiving it takes me three trips to get a little bit of everything because I can't just pile it on.  The only exception is some vegetables (corn or peas) can touch the mashed potatoes.  Otherwise, OH HELL NO...no touching one food to another.

I'm not really claustrophobic, but there are some times when having a feeling of being trapped or confined is not good - like when that big daddy guy tied me up and....oh no wait...that's not a good example.   ::)

Can't handle anything to do with puking.  Don't want to see it, hear it or any other sensory perception of it.  Makes me want to hurl right alongside of the other person.

4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline ademas

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 06:22:35 pm »
-spiders with big bodies and little legs freak me the fu*k out

-cockroaches

-bees

(Normal self-preservation stuff, really...isn't it?)

Oh yeah...cotton balls give me the heebie jeebies.

Clowns and mimes are of the devil.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 06:32:30 pm »
Im seriously afraid of heights...although plane rides dont bother me at all.. unless the plane does that thing where it drops a couple of hundred feet all at once and your stomach feels like its in your throat..

I compulsively wipe off the top of any can that I drink from, beer, coke, juice, anything..

I work a straw dispenser at least twice to make sure im getting a fresh straw..

I can manage to use a public restroom without touching anything except the door handle, with a paper towel wrapped hand ofcourse..

At the Grocery store, I never take the can, box or package in the front of the display, I always reach 2 or 3 back so I dont get something thats been 'Fingered'...

My Local Supermarket started putting disinfectant wipes dispensers by the shopping carts to wipe down the basket handles and that baby seat in the cart ( where countless poo filled diapered little asses have been)  I wont use a cart without sanitising it...

Similarly, by Boyfriend got me into the habit of wiping down the tray table and arm rests of airline seats with  sani wipes that we carry with us on trips..

Im compulsive with hand Sanitiser gel...id like to get a belt mounted  Dispenser a- la Batman...

I absolutely MUST remove all of those Goddamn subscribtion cards from a magazine before I will read it, especially the new crop of extra thick ones, and those Fucking mini Catalogs theyre sticking in these days....AAAAAAGH!!

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will I stand anywhere near the edge of a subway platform...... Duh ?

In School I could never drink from a water fountain unless I was completely alone for fear of having my head smacked and getting my front teeth broken out... and after I found a wad of gum halfway across the spout of a fountain, I stopped drinking from them alltogether..

Although I have NEVER locked my keys in my car, I have always had a compulsion to keep a spare  key in my wallet.

When my boyfriend is out of town, I wont sleep in our bed. ( its either the couch or  the guest room isn't that sweet ?)

I must have the toilet paper unrolling in the proper 'Foreward' direction. Especially in a hotel..  Regardless of what kind of Oragami the housekeeping staff has managed to create with the asswipe, if it isn't unrolling properly, I could care less if theres a Two Ply, Quilted pair of Kissing Cranes hanging from the spool,, if its going in the wrong direction, I simply cant Drop My Cargo...  I will call the concierge if necessary... Im serious.

Ever since hearing about how one preson can fall and set off a 'domino effect' of people falling down an escelator ( with those sharp edged metal steps)  I always stand sideways so that I can  better withstand being run into possibly sidestep anyone falling..

I compulsively clean the lint filter in the dryer after every load.

Unless Im flying or going into a secure building (like a courthouse), I always carry my swiss army knife. A pink one. I just know that the ONE time I dont have it,  I'll get my shirttail caught in a conveyer belt or see some baby with a stuck seatbelt trapped in a burning car or get cornered by a pissedoff pitbull or possibly get a wicked hangnail.

Although not a phobia, fear or heeb jeeb, I feel an odd compulsion to smell any fart that I may release.. just to see if anything abnormal is cooking... ( perhaps T.M.I.  but Ill bet anything that Im not alone here )

Other than those few hangups, Im pretty well adjusted...

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 06:39:17 pm by Lwood »
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Eldon

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 06:34:42 pm »
How do you handle flying in an airplane ?

Lwood said it before I could post it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 06:36:33 pm by Eldon »

Offline whizzer

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 06:41:08 pm »
Clowns, and snakes, in no particular order.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 07:00:15 pm »
Lwood---OMG!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 07:00:34 pm »
Oh I just remembered something that may reinforce Dingo's Pea Phobia ( D.P.P  ::))

Several Years ago I was using a stall in a restroom to take a leak, and noticed a green pea floating in the toilet bowl, albeit somewhat shriveled, it had aparently not only avoided being chewed,but made it through someones entire digestive tract unscathed, then had the luck and buoyancy to avoid going down with the rest of the ship.. so to speak   that was either one very lucky or possibly very evil, pea. After bobing a bit in my urine stream, I hit the flush lever with my foot and went about my business.. for all I know it  washed out to sea and journeyed the Earth like that toy Boat in 'Kon Tiki' or whatever the hell that book was that my Teacher said was such a hot assed Literary Classic of our Time....
I have no Pea issues per se´ other than to make sure that I chew them thoroughly. Just thought Id share.  :)
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 07:19:56 pm »
I'm afraid of speaking in front of large groups of people and think stand up comedians have the most terrifying job on the planet.

I accidentally drank curdled milk once and now I won't drink milk that is 24 hours beyond the expiration date.

I don't want to see anyone on the toilet.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 01:57:29 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline Longislander

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 07:45:04 pm »
 I won't drink milk thats still got 2 days to go til the expiration date!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »
Being kept handcuffed with hands behind my back.

Oh Andy that sounds so kinky.  ;D  You must have watched Cruisin too.  ;) No handcuffs for me... ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 08:50:00 pm by RapidRod »

poznoregon

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 12:25:13 am »
Wow interesting list, here's mine

Snakes, (when I first began taking sustiva that is what my weird dreams would be about, Snakes)
hearing a person going to the bathroom,
have to have the closet doors closed when I go to bed,
need to have lots of toilet paper in the house, never want to run out of that,
the little dummies that ventriloquists use. 
deep dark water such as swimming in a pool at night or a lake.
Like Lwood I can use a public restroom without touching anything, if I can't flush the toilet with my foot (shoe'd foot) it doesn't get flushed. 
Also carry plenty of Purel, it's in the car, at work (along with a can of Lysol) and on the key chain.
people who are noisy when they eat or drink.   
The bed has to be made when getting up in the morning. 
having to see peoples feet, especially if they have nasty looking feet. 
will not walk by or near people who are coughing or hacking and if I have to because of no other route to take I'll hold my breath until I am in the clear (this I only began doing since being HIV+)
Going to see the HIV Doc, never know what they might have to tell you, or what test they want to perform, I always make my appointments as late as I can on Friday afternoons so that I'll have the weekend to sort anything out. Although it has always been good news...

Offline fearless

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 05:33:26 am »
No fears - I'm FEARLESS ;D

I have one phobia - I cannot sleep with the bedroom door shut.

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline carousel

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 06:01:06 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:45:26 pm by carousel »

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 11:51:04 am »
Other than burning alive, there really isn't a whole Lot that I am afraid of. The sad thing here is that as a dedicated adrenaline junkie, it gets progressively more difficult to find a thrill. although a good roller coaster can still do the trick. It's best to watch "Final Destination" with the coaster scene before going to ride. I actually enjoy being scared. The one thing that can bug me though is the realization that I'm down to nothing but seeds and stems (again!)
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Christine

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 12:15:53 pm »
I don't like heights, although it has gotten better as I get older. I hate slugs, snails and grasshoppers. I stepped on a slug once at night in my barefeet, I screamed so loud my Mom came running. She thought I was being attacked.

And the thought of eating a snail....ahhhhhhh  :-X

I don't like going over bridges. I have a fear of driving over the side.

I don't like my legs being trapped, or not being able to move them. I can't have tight fitted bedding, I have to pull all the covers out.

Good memories...okay, where's the ativan??

Christine

I just read Lnwood's Pea-Pee story and I am laughing so hard I have tears running down my cheeks!! :) That was funny stuff!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 12:25:54 pm by Christine »
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 12:41:53 pm »
 ;D...  If you are pre-occupied looking for something, your out of the woods Lwood.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 12:52:20 pm by Eric »

Offline Rhino

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 09:23:10 pm »
The dentist. God i'm afraid of the dentist.  :o

Offline scaredreallyscared

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2006, 11:19:33 pm »
I am afraid of rollercoasters and all the rides in amusement parks.  Even the carrousel.  Clowns also are very scary.
I can't sleep if my bed is not done the proper way, with the sheets all tidy and neat.  Just the thought of running out of cigarettes in the middle of the night freaks me out...just like right now...better call some delivery service and pray if the can drive all the way to my house just for a pack of cigarettes.  Apart from that, I can't stand spiders or cocroaches.....they scare the sh*t out of me.  to the point of crying/puking.  I sleep with decent pj's, in case there is an earthquake and I can run out of the house in the middle of the night, dressed....just in case the house get's destroyed I at least have cloting on me!  (i know it's stupid, since my house is 100% concrete!)
My boyfriend though is a maniac...seriously.  sometimes i think he has a serious problem.  He can't stand having the rims of his car getting dirty, so everytime we get off the car, i have to watch him for a couple of minutes how he cleans the rims with a kleenex.  And it has to be a kleenex so it doesn't scratch the rim.  He washes his hands constantly, and when he leaves his wallet and cell phone on the table, they both have to be perfectly aligned......He eat lasagna for example in order......always cutting from the same part, the screen on his cell phone has to be completely clean and no fingerprints, everything has to be completely tidy...Is this guy some kind of maniac??? HAHAH!  Let us hear more fears, phobias!

Offline David_CA

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 09:32:29 am »
What an interesting thread!  Things like spiders, mice, snakes, etc don't bother me in the least.  Living in the South on the coast, it's a really good thing.  There are a few things that REALLY do get to me, though...

-- Gurgling Gas.  You know, when you think you have gas, but there's a little more to it.  I don't have a physical problem with this occurring, but it did happen once a few years ago.  Since then,  I have this fear that midway through a fart, when I'm away from home, that this is going to be another wet one.

-- Dog Doo.  Whenever I smell it, I get freaked out looking for it.  That's because it's generally on my shoes!  The worst experience with it was when I smelled it on the way to work and thought 'wow, that treatment plant is really working overtime today' while on my way to work.  I kept smelling it, which was odd 'cause that smell is generally pretty location-specific.  I smelled it all the way to work.  When I got to work, I had it on the clutch, accelerator, and brake pedals, the floor mat (carpeted), the door, and the carpet.  Once I saw it, the smell got much worse!  What a way to start that day... and a Monday no less!

-- Pay Telephones.  The last time I used one was a few years ago.  It was one of those rare occasions when I'd forgotten my cell phone.  I put my money in, dialed the number, and put the handset up to my head.  I could smell the mouth piece part... it stunk really bad.  I pulled it away from my head and looked at it... it had mouth stuff and ear residue.  I had to hold it way away from my face and yell into it... almost like a speakerphone.  Since then, I don't think I've used a cell phone.

-- Condiments.  You know, salt, pepper, and ketchup.  I thought about it one day a few years ago after watching people eat.  They'd lick their fingers, shake some salt, pour some ketchup, and so on.  Often, I end up having to go wash my hands after using the condiments or just holding them with a napkin (which I then dispose of).

-- Office Equipment.  I maintain the computers and servers where I work.  When I have to work on another person's PC, it get kinda 'creeped out' using their keyboard and mouse.  This isn't just a recent thing, but something that's gotten worse since my HIV diagnosis.  I've gotten a case of 'germophobia' I guess.  I must wash my hands 20 times a day at work.

Some of these are kind of dumb, and some (like the hand washing) aren't so bad.  It's amazing how we can get worked up about something when we think about it long and hard enough.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 09:48:55 am »
The only thing that really stands out in my mind, is cockroaches. However, I now have to ammend that to include sewer roaches! You know, the ones that look for all the world like regular housheold cockroaches on steroids. I am terribly OC about making absolutely sure to look when I bring my groceries home.
The thing is, as I live at the apex of two streets, there is a sewer terminus in the street in front of my house. Every once in a while, I find one of these 3 or 4 cm. buggers dead, and on it's back in either the kitchen or bath.
Last week the city sent a maintenance crew to suck all the junk out, and when one of the guys took the manhole cover off, a few of those gigantic things came skittering out. ::::shudder:::: The stomping dance they did was rather comical though.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Quarter Horse

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 10:32:41 pm »
Ice cream trucks freak the f*** out of me.......I think it is the music. I can hear one miles away, like some kind of ice cream truck radar. My friends think it is hilarious.....bastards.

Brian
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: IT GOES ON.

Robert Frost

Offline ademas

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 04:23:11 pm »
I loathe having my photo taken--my flight response is almost visceral when someone points a camera in my direction.

It takes a good 10 years of time passing before I can appreciate a photo of myself--until I can say, "Damn...I looked good!  What the hell was I thinking?"

I love looking at all the AMG photos, but I think I would feel like I had died and gone to the bowels of hell with that many cameras around and clicking for 3-4 days.

It feels a bit like a phobia.

Offline Just John

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 11:14:58 am »
Wasps, snakes, confined spaces and heights.

I also share a couple of Davids' fears albeit in a rather unusual combination because of an incident which occurred a few years ago. I had to use a town centre phone box, as the door closed I noticed a strong smell of dog poo, checking my shoes and the floor as I dialled I saw nothing which would explain it. Whilst waiting for the other party to answer I noticed a group of kids about 100 yards away looking and wetting themselves laughing, then it slowly dawned on me, I looked at the handset and the little bastards had packed the mouthpiece with the stuff. Eeeuuuughhh!!
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.