Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Obama's speech on healthcare  (Read 11772 times)

Offline GNYC09

Obama's speech on healthcare
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »
I'm loving Obama's speech on healthcare.  One of my favorite lines: "I've heard that one Republican strategist told his party that even though they may want to compromise, it's better politics to 'go for the kill.' Let me be clear: This isn't about me. <frown> I have great health insurance <dramatic pause>...[Americans] are looking to us for leadership. And we must not let them down."

Offline RapidRod

Re: Obama's speech on healthcare
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:02:03 pm »
I liked it too. He didn't explain anything except there will be a board that will tell you what tests you can take and over ride your personal doctors. 

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:54:19 pm »
I liked it too. He didn't explain anything except there will be a board that will tell you what tests you can take and over ride your personal doctors. 

And if you paid attention, he said this was a proposal that the Republicans wanted in the bill. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:58:03 pm »
I've got my popcorn.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 11:17:38 pm »
And if you paid attention, he said this was a proposal that the Republicans wanted in the bill. 
Let's get something straight. That isn't what he said and another thing the Dems control both houses and the Dems are not agreeing with him. They've already stated if they put it up for a vote now it would fail. Reason for him backing down on wanting it done before the recess.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:26:53 am »
Let's get something straight. That isn't what he said and another thing the Dems control both houses and the Dems are not agreeing with him. They've already stated if they put it up for a vote now it would fail. Reason for him backing down on wanting it done before the recess.

Turn off Fox once in awhile and do a little reading and research. Your lack of insight is always compounded by a lack of knowledge.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, on the second point, that's exactly what our proposal is. It -- called the MedPAC program. By the way, it was originally a Republican idea. I want to give credit where credit is due. The Republican Congress passed an -- a bill that created a panel of health-care experts to make recommendations to Congress on how we could get better quality, lower cost. The problem is, every year it would just go on a shelf and nobody would act on it.

So what we've said is, let's give that body some power. Let's require Congress to vote on the proposals that they're making every year. Congress can still reject them, so it's not completely removing it from politics. But they have to reject or accept it as a package. And that, I think, would incentivize and empower important changes.

But here's the thing I want to emphasize, Chip. It's not going to reduce Medicare benefits. What it's going to do is to change how those benefits are delivered so that they're more efficient.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 07:42:27 am »
partial or improperly quoted words leave a lot of 'gap' and allow for untruths or exaggerations to sneak in...

President Obama speech transcript says, "So let me be clear:  This isn't about me.  I have great health insurance, (missing words here "I am the President") and so does every Member of Congress.  This debate is about the letters I read when I sit in the Oval Office every day, and the stories I hear at town hall meetings.  This is about the woman in Colorado who paid $700 a month to her insurance company only to find out that they wouldn't pay a dime for her cancer treatment - who had to use up her retirement funds to save her own life.  This is about the middle-class college graduate from Maryland whose health insurance expired when he changed jobs, and woke up from emergency surgery with $10,000 in debt.  This is about every family, every business, and every taxpayer who continues to shoulder the burden of a problem that Washington has failed to solve for decades.

This debate is not a game for these Americans, and they cannot afford to wait for reform any longer.  They are counting on us to get this done.  They are looking to us for leadership.  And we must not let them down.  We will pass reform that lowers cost, promotes choice, and provides coverage that every American can count on.  And we will do it this year.  And with that, I'll take your questions."

:)
just saying...

Congressional session needs to bite the bullet on this one! F**k their recess!

Mike

Offline randym431

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 09:02:50 am »
There exists a lot of corruption, money and power that the status quo “do or die” want to protect, hang on to. You will hear all kinds of crap from opponents. The press, long ago, failed to call them out on their lies. And fails to point out the opponents close financial ties to the status quo. All, not some, but all of the loudest opponents get millions from those in the industry. They want to hold on and protect business as usual.

They act like the adding of millions to the uninsured, by killing any reform, is an acceptable option. But remember, during the Bush era, many in the financial and banking industry had no problems what so ever with wasting your parents (and your) retirement life support, with their crap shoot to gain a quick buck.
So never doubt there are not those on the opposing side of Obama's healthcare plan, that have no problems at all if millions more fall uninsured within the next few years, if they can kill reform now.
Cold hearted bastards. That is what Obama needs to call those opposing him. Call it like it is.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 11:15:03 am »
Goes along with the Stimulus Package. "If it's not passed NOW, unemployment will exceed 8%." Well guess what, unemployment is over the 8% WITH the Stimulus Package. If we don't bail out GM they will have to file bankruptcy and THAT WON'T WORK. After 50 billion dollars, GM has filed bankruptcy. Now they are trying to push the healthcare bill through the same way.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 12:46:00 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me that a person covered by universal healthcare has the temerity to be against universal healthcare. Can advocate on a site dedicated to people living with HIV against universal healthcare.

Since September, 2008 4.8 million more Americans have lost their insurance. Oh well, fuck 'em.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:19:39 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me that a person covered by universal healthcare has the temerity to be against universal healthcare. Can advocate on a site dedicated to people living with HIV against universal healthcare.

Since September, 2008 4.8 million more Americans have lost their insurance. Oh well, fuck 'em.

Oh, it's kind of like this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 01:22:18 pm »

Wasn't said at all. If that is your spin on things have at it. There is no reason whatsoever to rush bill that hasn't been read, no one understands it and the majority of the dems. don't agree with it. Dems have FULL controlof both houses and have screwed up on all they done so far so now that they want to take their time and do it right and you have the far left bitching.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:23:59 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 03:48:31 pm »
New study undercuts core GOP claim about health care:

In a first-of-its-kind study, the non-profit Rand Corp linked the rapid growth in U.S. health care costs to job losses and lower output. The study, published online by the journal Health Services Research, gives weight to President Barack Obama’s dire warnings about the impact of rising costs if Congress does not enact health care reform.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 04:13:28 pm »
hey guys  most of the proposals   ( none are agreed yet) can be found on your congressmans web site...I am sure each will have his/her favorite version available....look for it......I found some interesting items...

so far no proposal includes everyone....(universal)...... all leave open options/ people not eligible..some may never be eligible

the  proposals summaries I read have a number of new "Government agencies"  all meant to create government jobs I suppose.....I guess they are to have SOME voice in the process and treatment decisions, ....... still a lot of waffling about "preventive care"  in spite of what prez said about helping people be healthy....lot of support for using current systems but.current versions of Medicare and other Gvmt sponsored systems  have political/economic decisions built in...provide a pair of glasses but will not pay for eye test...provide expensive meds but not the syringes to administer them.....pay for almost anything if in a Drs office or Hospital...but not allowed to "self administer"........details, details  all in the fine print.....lets slow down and see that at least the intent of universal care if not the fully implemented version can be done....

long hot summer guys  and congress will go hom

I haven't read the total proposal because my brain was dead after about 50 pages of the summaries...the major document has more than 1000 pages...

this is too important to skip thru and only read the summaries...I want my congressmen to read it all and I have told then so.....i

I watched the Obama speech...I have an achy feeling when someone frequently says " let me tell you the  facts" or  the fact of the matter is.........usually means they have carefully selected which facts ...

I still haven't heard     .... HOW MUCH??? or WHO is Paying.......so far a lot of handwaving and some "leaks " about possible costs and possible sources of money to pay....

the soak the rich idea seems to have died down to the over $1million incomes....still wont fly!!!  so now who pays??????

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 04:44:55 pm »
It was announced earlier today that Nancy Palosi and Harry Reed informed Obama yesterday, before his speech, that they would not call for a vote about UHC before the recess.  They told him they didn't have the 60 votes needed to stave a Republican filabuster.

edited to add: Just saw on the news that Dems are demanding Nacy Palosi's resignation as Speaker of the House.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:00:04 pm by minismom »
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 06:54:40 pm »
Earliest possible time there will be a vote is fall, if not, not until next year. They are going to take their time and study this one..

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 09:52:00 pm »

edited to add: Just saw on the news that Dems are demanding Nacy Palosi's resignation as Speaker of the House.

I'd sure love to know where you are reading this, because nothing on google-news shows up.  In fact it's not even on the right wing Drudge Report and frankly it would be in bold, large letters at the top of the page if that was happening.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 01:10:36 am »
I'd sure love to know where you are reading this, because nothing on google-news shows up.  In fact it's not even on the right wing Drudge Report and frankly it would be in bold, large letters at the top of the page if that was happening.
You didn't look to hard did you?  http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99KA26G0&show_article=1

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 01:15:31 am »
You didn't look to hard did you?  http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99KA26G0&show_article=1

Where's the part about calling for Pelosi to resign as Speaker?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:31:38 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 07:13:00 am »
Philly, I saw it on the news yesterday afternoon.  And it was a Democrat talking about it. The headline read "Democrats Demand Pelosi's Resignation". 

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 07:44:36 am »
Philly, I saw it on the news yesterday afternoon.  And it was a Democrat talking about it. The headline read "Democrats Demand Pelosi's Resignation". 

Mum
You aren't alone. I saw it too. Be one of the best things that could happen, besides her plastic surgeon slipping and cutting her throat.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 07:58:50 am »
You aren't alone. I saw it too. Be one of the best things that could happen, besides her plastic surgeon slipping and cutting her throat.

You're probably the most disgusting person that has ever infected the forums with the continuous bile you spew. A welfare queen that has nothing better to do than continually bite the hand that feeds you. If you're so against universal healthcare and everything "democratic" drop your coverage and pay for it yourself Mr. free market. You're a total hypocrite, taking from the system that keeps you alive to attack people that actually support your right to healthcare. You're a misogynist ass.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:00:30 am by Dachshund »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 08:19:31 am »
It's all about hugs and kisses, y'all.
(chuckles to self)

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 10:42:07 am »
You're probably the most disgusting person that has ever infected the forums with the continuous bile you spew. A welfare queen that has nothing better to do than continually bite the hand that feeds you. If you're so against universal healthcare and everything "democratic" drop your coverage and pay for it yourself Mr. free market. You're a total hypocrite, taking from the system that keeps you alive to attack people that actually support your right to healthcare. You're a misogynist ass.

Doxie, while I share your frustration with Rodney's attitude toward healthcare, you know we do not allow name-calling here. You're an intelligent man and I'm quite sure you're capable of getting your point across without resorting to school-yard language. Please refrain from further bouts of foul language. And yes, I'm sorry, but I do have to point out that this is definitely a warning.

Please let this be the end of the tit-for-tat between you both. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 11:31:03 am »
You didn't look to hard did you?  http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99KA26G0&show_article=1

Where's the part about calling for Pelosi to resign as Speaker?

Find it in that article yet, brainiac?  I suppose I should state here as my reply that "you didn't read to [sic] hard did you"?

The bottom line is that whatever minismum heard, or thought she heard, was incorrect.  And if it was from some right wing Limbaugh-type radio show I'd really not trust it as a news source, certainly not on the subject of Nancy Pelosi where they routinely engage in the must vile sorts of misogynistic language about her.  

So just to be very clear here, there are no Democrats calling for the Speaker of the House's resignation, and it's not mentioned on any reputable web site/news source, nor is it even on any right wing partisan web site.  In fact, a word search for "Pelosi" on either Newsmax or Drudge Report returns "zero" hits.  Nada.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:35:43 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 12:28:09 pm »
I may be out of line to ask RapidRod, but is that true that you get "gov't run" healthcare?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 02:35:07 pm »
If you are asking do I get ADAP the answer is no. Do I receive Medicaid the answer is yes.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:33 pm »
If you are asking do I get ADAP the answer is no. Do I receive Medicaid the answer is yes.

Many states do not cover single men without children under Medicaid (it is currently an option for the states, rather than a requirement).

Do you support the part of the Obama health care proposal that would expand Medicaid to cover low income single men in all states?
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 07:28:37 pm »
Many states do not cover single men without children under Medicaid (it is currently an option for the states, rather than a requirement).

Do you support the part of the Obama health care proposal that would expand Medicaid to cover low income single men in all states?
Is there such a proposal? So far, I'll that I've seen is a cut in Medicare and Medicaid. We'll have to wait until they get the bill drawn up and as of right now it's still in committees.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 11:36:15 pm »
source

Why Democrats Will, at the End of the Day, Pass Health-Care Reform

"Democrats should, but almost certainly won't, listen to Jon Chait," writes Matt Yglesias. He's referring to this post Chait wrote on the way Americans will judge health-care reform:

People do not pay close attention to details... If health care reform passes...it will have a Rose Garden ceremony, lots of commentary about the historical import, liberal celebrations and conservative apoplexy. If it fails, then the plan will be described as a "failure" -- a designation intended to describe the political prospects but which is certain to bleed into the public's estimation of the plan's substantive merits -- and produce endless commentary about liberal overreach, all of which will make people more prone to believe that the plan was a disaster.

Democrats simply have to accept that health care reform is going to be polling badly when they vote on it. There's no mechanism in the current media configuration that would allow them to convey the details of the plan in a positive way without getting overrun by negative process stories. It's just not possible. What they have to focus on is which alternative is likely to make them better off: reform passing or reform failing. It's an easy call, which is why I think reform will pass.

First, a word on the bad "process stories" afflicting health-care reform right now: This sort of thing is inevitable. The final stage of a legislative fight is a bit confusing: It is very hard to tell a legislator who is voting against a bill apart from a legislator who is trying to maximize his influence over a bill. The two of them do the same thing, after all: Express concerns, point out a couple areas of disagreement, admit to overall ambivalence. But one of them doesn't want to vote for the bill and the other is positioning himself to vote for the bill. Reporters, however, can't read minds, so they take the statements at face value. That makes things look a lot grimmer than they are. As they say, it always looks darkest before the deal.

But there will be a deal. This is, in part, for the reasons Jon outlines. Importantly, however, the argument in his post is not some brilliant insight point he thought up during a particularly productive hour on the treadmill. It's just what happens. With all major pieces of legislation. And everyone knows it. Medicare Part D, for instance, barely survived the legislative process. It had a one-vote margin in the House of Representatives. Republicans almost broke the Congress securing the bill's passage. If it had failed, the ethics violations and angry Republicans and huge price tag would have launched a thousand editorials explaining the bill's failures and the deep inadequacies they demonstrated in the administration's policy process. But the bill didn't fail. Now it's law, and pretty popular law, at that.

Democrats know full well that there are two plausible outcomes to the health-care reform process. Health-care reform will fail, dealing a huge blow to the Democratic Party and giving Republicans tremendous momentum as we enter the 2010 campaign season. Or health-care reform will pass, and Democrats will criss-cross the country touting the largest legislative accomplishment in decades. Republicans may still attack them on the plan. But attacking a historic legislative success is a whole lot harder than attacking a historic legislative failure. Republicans know that, which is why they want to kill the bill. Democrats know it too, which is why they won't let them.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 12:47:38 am »

Offline Robert

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 02:43:58 am »

NPR reported yesterday that the pharmaceutical industry spent $40m last quarter (Apr, May, Jun) to lobby on health care.  There are 2 issues that their aiming for:  no government price controls and re-importation of drugs from Canada.

Offline randym431

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 12:01:36 pm »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.