Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:08:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773179
  • Total Topics: 66333
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 263
Total: 265

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When to start medications?!?!???  (Read 5456 times)

Offline bryan21

When to start medications?!?!???
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:06:00 am »
Okay first off I know when and where I became infected with HIV...
So I don't know where I should base getting infected? When I tested positive,or when I contracted the disease? I tested positive on May 11,2010. I first started dating and sleeping with the person who gave me HIV in April of 2009.So have I been positive for about six months...Or a little over one year and six months??
(That always throws me for a loop?) ???
I have had blood taken two times...I go back on the 18th. of this month (October) to have more blood taken.
The last time I went I didn't have any blood taken.The doctor said there was no need with my levels where they were.Thnk God! :P
The first visit my CD4 was at (513) and Viral Load was at (240) and I weighed in at 167 lb.
The second visit CD4 was at (568) and Viral Load was at (540) and I weighed in at 175 ib.
So both my CD4 count and Viral Load had risen.There was a four month gap in between the visit's I made to the doctor.
So I am curious as to when would be the best time to start medication's? I have heard that it was best to wait as long as one can before starting the HIV meds. (When the person's CD4 falls below like 250.I think)
Now I am hearing that you should start HIV medication's as soon as possible? So that you won't cause irrecoverable damage to the immune system. That sound's logical to me.

So I was wanting to get some feed back as to what other's think..

BTW...I have seen two people in person who have HIV and they both were on medication's and they BOTH had that whole Lipo. shitt going on! :'(
That is one thing that scared me the most about starting medication's is getting that nasty tire of fatt around my stomach!! I can't do that I will starve myself!! Then I will die!
So what are some of the ways I can not gett that when I start medication's I have always had an amazing boy and I will not let it go to shit just because I have HIV and have to take medication's everyday for the rest of my life!..Won't happen! And if it does then I will just die!  8)

OH YEA!! I HAVE NO, NOT ONE DRUG RESISTANCE SO THAT IS WONDERFUL AS HELL!
(I forgot to put that in there somewhere)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:01:14 am by bryan21 »

Offline pozoz

Re: When to start medications?!?!???
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:46:56 am »
Bryan,
Some lighht readdingg forr youu. Hope thiss helpss, and please stopp butcherringg the Englishh Language, it'ss really anooyyingg...LOL 

There's a bunch of information about this subject on these boards, but at the end of the day, it's up to you to decide. Good luck.

http://www.poz.com/articles/hiv_bcell_antibody_761_19181.shtml
Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline bryan21

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:46:48 am »
Sorry.English never wass onn of myy stroong subject'ss? ???

Offline pozoz

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 07:35:30 pm »
All good man, I'm glad you have a sense of humour.

:P..   Peace ...

Lots of information out there about when to start, or not to start... some experts can't seem to agree also on some aspects of this debate.

I chose to start early.

It took a long time to make that descision, so take your time, your numbers look pretty good, so you probably have time to make an informed choice.

Good luck, and be well....
Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline debsd222

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:13:58 pm »
I started late, not by choice but because when I was diagnosed I already had aids. Though I am improving over the last 2 years, my immune system is pretty shot and I get sick at the drop of a hat. The hardest part is not recovering the strength or stamina I had before. Given a choice, Id go for an earlier start. Its hard getting back when you get too sick before you start.
April 08 3 month bout w/ shingles, ongoing nerve pain
Dec 08 pos  cd4 200 %8  VL 18,000
Feb 09 started sustiva, truvada -allergic to sustiva, hospital 4 days.
March 09 started truvada, reyataz and norvir
March 09  cd4 279  % 12 VL 10,000
April 09 cd4 327  %12  VL 300
Aug 09 cd4 392  %16  Vl undetectable
Dec 09 hospital pneumonia 6 days
Dec 09 cd4 462  %20  VL undetectable
Mar 10 cd4 629 27% VL undetectable
July 9, 2010 cd4 505  21% VL undetectable
Oct 2010 cd4 689  22%  VL 64
Nov 2010  cd4689  22%  VL  UD
May 2013 cd4 759. 29%. VL. UD

Offline AaronbytheC

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »
That's the million dollar question for sure...  It seems most "experts agree no lower that 350 but better if you start at 500.  Over 500 and you get tons of different opinions!  There seems to be a big push about safety of accidental exposure to others if your VL is UD.  That in itself makes the decision to start meds easier for me.

My first labs were low and I sort of paniced and got my ducks in line to start Atripla.  Like you I know exactly when and from whom I got HIV.  Since it was a really new infection my doctor convinced me to hold off on meds for a month to see if my numbers would bounce...  She was right they came up to nearly 500...  Since I was out of the "350 and below club" I agreed to hold off another month and see, one month later they came up to 541.  Next week I'll have another set of labs (6 weeks from my last).  Part of me hopes my CD4's go down so I'll just do it...  (I have 3 bottles of Atripla at home now just waiting for me to start.)   

It would be much easier if there was a set line in the sand that said this is the best thing to do but there isn't...  My BF is Neg, the more I read about this UD think and exposure risk I think I owe it to him to start sooner than later. 
04/2012 CD4 721 / 29% / VL UD
02/2011 UNDETECTABLE!
12/2010 CD4 587 / 24% / VL 210
11/2010 Started Atripla
10/2010 CD4 420 / 18% / VL 13,500
09/2010 CD4 541 / 17% / VL 10,500
08/2010 CD4 498 / 18% / VL Not Taken
07/2010 CD4 307 / 18% / VL 9,500
06/2010 Confirmed Poz
03/2010 Infected
06/2009 Neg

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:48:55 pm »
Hi Bryan , I see you have been given some advice about meds and thoughts about when to start . I would like to offer some advice you didn't ask for as well .

Your comments about lipo issues are insensitive and insulting to people who have the very issues you claim you would rather starve and die before enduring .

I have lipo issues but thankfully I am comfortable enough with myself that your insensitive remarks don't faze me . You must realize that might not be the case for some people .

I have to ask you how would you feel if you had lipo and were trying to come to terms with it , how would you feel reading what you wrote ?

There are better ways of expressing your fears of something that could happen without insulting people that are already there .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:27 pm »

Your comments about lipo issues are insensitive and insulting to people who have the very issues you claim you would rather starve and die before enduring .

You mean this?

I have seen two people in person who have HIV and they both were on medication's and they BOTH had that whole Lipo. shitt going on! :'(
That is one thing that scared me the most about starting medication's is getting that nasty tire of fatt around my stomach!!

Well, gosh gee -- whoddathunkit?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bryan21

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:39:30 am »
Well yes I am srry I have a very rude sense of humor and way of saying things..I am out spoken and  will alway's be that way..
And there is no problem with being fatt..I would just rather starve myself then be that way..fatt don't look good on me..

And if I did already have that problem then It wouldn't bother me Cause I know there isn't that much I could do about.

But thnk all the other's about your information I have no idea what I will do as of right now!?? ???

Offline bryan21

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:42:03 am »
I started late, not by choice but because when I was diagnosed I already had aids. Though I am improving over the last 2 years, my immune system is pretty shot and I get sick at the drop of a hat. The hardest part is not recovering the strength or stamina I had before. Given a choice, Id go for an earlier start. Its hard getting back when you get too sick before you start.

OMG! I love No Doubt! I heard they have a new CD coming out soon I sooooo can not wait! It is going to be awesome!..Yea I know sooo off subject...But who cares!?? :P

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:00:58 pm »
Well yes I am srry I have a very rude sense of humor and way of saying things..I am out spoken and  will alway's be that way..
And there is no problem with being fatt..I would just rather starve myself then be that way..fatt don't look good on me..

And if I did already have that problem then It wouldn't bother me Cause I know there isn't that much I could do about.

But thnk all the other's about your information I have no idea what I will do as of right now!?? ???

*face palm*

Offline bryan21

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 11:57:39 pm »
lmfao..

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 12:43:16 am »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline bryan21

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 02:30:30 am »
Looong live the People's Republic of China!!! :D
lol

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 07:29:17 am »
My dear you shouldn't be worring about lipo - you are not a candidate for that given today's date, today's drugs, and your recent infection.

The controversy about when to treat is something you can calmly educate yourself about and have discussions with your doctor about his/her practices on that point, and the practices in your region/country.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.