Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:10:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 598
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SMF "themes" for color-vision deficient?  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
SMF "themes" for color-vision deficient?
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:51:51 pm »
While goofing around with SMF on a website I "own" I came across something which prompts this post/question.  In the Admin section of SMF there are a couple of options for allowing members to choose their own forum "themes" but I can easily imagine implementing such a feature would cause extra work for mods and others since we all wouldn't be on the same page.

This has never been too irksome for me but when I look at the icons for topics 3 of them are indistinguishable:

The little thingie on "topics you've posted in" sorta gets lost when I'm trying to skim down the list but I often remember which ones those are anyway.

On the test SMF site I set up the default theme (which I may have changed but forget) colors seem to be the same but the icons themselves make the meanings clear:

I looked around a bit on the SMF forums (they use SMF, amazingly enough) but didn't find anything too useful.  I found yet another test for color vision (link below) which was confusing as hell and I scored a 241 or something (0 is the best score):

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

I know this isn't the world's most pressing issue but supposedly 1 in 255 women and 1 in 12 men has some type of color vision deficiency so imagine I'm not the only one here.   

Does AM have an in-house SMF admin who might have a better idea about the "themes" options or other ways to avoid confusing the color-vision deficient?

Bonus question:  Why are the ratios for women and men with color-vision deficiency so different?  
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
Re: SMF "themes" for color-vision deficient?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:02:18 pm »
Boo

I am so color blind, I never realized there were different colors!  I guess if I look really hard I can see the difference but would never be able to see the color variations by just glancing.

Interesting indeed!

Pete

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:08:05 pm »
Boo

I am so color blind, I never realized there were different colors!  ...

I'm confused (so what else is new?) -- you're referring to the topic icons or all colors?   I'm assuming the first since total color blindness is pretty rare.  Um, Pete, until you mentioned it I didn't stop to think the 3 I confuse may be the same colors!  Just doesn't seem likely. 

We first realized my twin and I had problems (with color vision, thank you very much!) while my mother was driving and I asked "Why do they call green lights green when they're really white?"  Thank goodness my bro was there or Mom may have dropped me off at the nearest lunatic asylum.    The only way I can tell what color a traffic light is is by the position.  Now that horizontal lights are replacing vertical ones driving with (or near) me could be hazardous to one's health.  I can see the "white" light but the orange and red look the same. 

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:12:03 pm »
The three you circled look like the same color to me - but I am not the authority.

I just assumed all the icons on the sight where blue.

If I look - the Hot Topic color looks orange to me and the very hot topic looks green.

All the rest look blue.

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 02:19:52 am »
I am with peter. The three icons you circled look the almost identical color wise to me and I am not color blind at all. Maybe you need to adjust the gamma on your monitor?

Using the same icons but with slightly varying colors(in light colored pastels to boot!) to distinguish different meaning is bad UI/UX design. That being said I rarely look at the icons since they don't help discussing or reading a topic.

While we are on the topic of usability poz.com's splash page needs a major pruning and redesign. The site takes about 5-7 seconds to load and I am on fios. I can imagine what a pain it would be if I had a slow ass dsl connection or even god forbid dial up. And when it does load up you brain is assaulted by a tidal wave of information, links, and obnoxious animated gif backgrounds(what is this 1997?). And yes I do like to read the articles on poz.com but i find navigating the site a pain much more then it should be. Sorry about going off topic there.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:33:36 am »
The three circled icons ARE all blue. The difference is that the "normal" icon is plain, the "topic you have posted in" icon has a little tail on it like in a cartoon speech bubble, and the "sticky" topic has a thicker bottom line. To me, the "hot topic" is sorta yellow and the "very hot topic" is pink.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 02:39:19 am »
See how color blind I am, Ann????

It is a wonder I am not dressed like a clown on most days!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 02:47:57 am »
See how color blind I am, Ann????

It is a wonder I am not dressed like a clown on most days!

I know quite a few fishermen who aren't allowed to be skippers because they see red as green. As shipping navigation uses red and green lights, a skipper with this kind of colour blindness could be a disaster in the making! There seems to be a high incidence of colour blindness amongst Manx men - at least I never met so many colour blind people until I moved here to the Rock. My bf is one of them and believe me, he does occasionally resemble a clown. ;D

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 03:11:14 am »
I am with peter. The three icons you circled look the almost identical color wise to me and I am not color blind at all. Maybe you need to adjust the gamma on your monitor?

Um... since my color vision doesn't register red/green correctly adjusting the gamma or anything else on my monitor won't help.  Thus the diagnosis of color-vision deficiency.  I can't make adjustments for differences I don't see. 

They look blue to me too which is why I suspect they are different shades/hues with red and/or green in them.  Maybe it's simply poor UI design but since the other icons appear as different colors (not that I can necessarily name them -- I just see a difference)  I thought there must be a difference between those three. 

Color me wrong since I just red Ann's response.  Poor design it is then.  Nevertheless a change of icons could help others see the distinctions more clearly, which is my point.  Since I can't distinguish differences in many colors I attributed it to my color vision.  Sue me.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 10:43:00 am »
I'm with freaky (Just had to say that  ;D)  The icons don't provide any info that is useful to me.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 06:12:37 pm »
The icons don't provide any info that is useful to me.
I'm curious, does anyone really "use" those icons? Do they make navigating the site any easier? I've never paid any notice to them and don't use them. I just go directly to the "unread" page, where my browser shows me the threads I've already visited through the visited link color. Though I post a fair amount, I don't post so much that I don't know the threads I posted in without seeing an icon. ;) Only sometimes do I even notice when someone adds a smiley to their thread title. ;D

And when it does load up you brain is assaulted by a tidal wave of information, links, and obnoxious animated gif backgrounds(what is this 1997?). And yes I do like to read the articles on poz.com but i find navigating the site a pain much more then it should be.
what page are you discussing? I didn't see any animated bckgrnds on poz.com but alot of animated ads. Though I do agree that it's definitely an obnxiously "busy" page and nagivating is a bit convoluted.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 06:38:51 pm »
Really you didn't see the snow flakes cascading down the background of the front page? They are gone now but they were up all of December and yesterday ahem... Poz.com always puts up some annoying animated gif background for a corresponding holiday(fireworks for the 4th etc). It's nice to be festive and all but it's kind of tacky nowadays to do something like that. I am fine with holiday theming as long as it doesn't hit you over the head with kitchiness.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:41:05 pm by freaky_dream »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 06:56:26 pm »
Poz.com always puts up some annoying animated gif background for a corresponding holiday(fireworks for the 4th etc). It's nice to be festive and all but it's kind of tacky nowadays to do something like that.
no  :'( maybe my damned IE browser is broke. or maybe I have some setting turned off. I'll have to check cause I've never seen that sort of thing in years at poz.com. (only because my one of my other hats is "computertutor", perhaps download and run Spybot to insure that you don't have any malware running.)

I like that kind of stuff though. I like festive  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 09:53:46 pm »
Really you didn't see the snow flakes cascading down the background of the front page? They are gone now but they were up all of December and yesterday ahem... Poz.com always puts up some annoying animated gif background for a corresponding holiday(fireworks for the 4th etc). It's nice to be festive and all but it's kind of tacky nowadays to do something like that. I am fine with holiday theming as long as it doesn't hit you over the head with kitchiness.

I've never seen any of that and I've visited from this laptop, my partner's, 4 work PC's and a couple of pubic ones, too.

You guys see snowflakes and fireworks?

edited: ipendejo yo! Take the "L" ot of "public" and it's "pubic"!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:20:17 pm by Basquo »

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 10:08:43 pm »
I've never seen the snowflakes or fireworks either.  I do think the website is mess though. 

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:15:29 pm »
I DID see the snowflakes last month -- only on the POZ homepage -- it would be all over my screen at first, then when the page fully loaded, they were only on the sides.
They were there -- I swear!  I don't drink and even saw them before I took my Atripla -- so it ain't no Sustiva vision.....  ;)

Mike

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 10:39:52 pm »
I've never seen any of that and I've visited from this laptop, my partner's, 4 work PC's and a couple of pubic ones, too.

You guys see snowflakes and fireworks?

edited: ipendejo yo! Take the "L" ot of "public" and it's "pubic"!

Hmm pubic pc's... Guess it depends on which browser you are using. I only use firefox and they always show up for me, you guys must be using internet exploder. At least bocker's with me on this one.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 10:53:46 pm »

I had snowflakes on my also.  (edited to add) WTF is my also? LMAO!~
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:03:03 am by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 11:48:27 pm »
Guess it depends on which browser you are using. I only use firefox and they always show up for me, you guys must be using internet exploder.
never had that stuff show up on my FireFox or Chrome.  :'(
(as the ComputerTutor, I have 5 different PCs and run all sorts of browsers to test that kind of stuff)
maybe i just don't go to the poz.com front page enough though.

I want the festive webpages too, dang it! :P
Somebody remember to tell me next time, so I can experience the "magic" too! ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 07:39:44 am »
Hmm pubic pc's... Guess it depends on which browser you are using. I only use firefox and they always show up for me, you guys must be using internet exploder. At least bocker's with me on this one.

I use IE, so it's probably not the browser.

Mike

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:05 pm »
I know quite a few fishermen who aren't allowed to be skippers because they see red as green.

There are many jobs color-vision deficient people can't hold -- like electrician, airplane pilot, cable technician, etc.   Any job in which colors are integral to performing are out.  I think men with specific types of deficiency are useful in some jobs, like spotting camouflage against the natural background (there aren't too many openings for those).  Some times I've been able to find an item lost on the ground when others couldn't see it.  More often I can't find stuff --  if I'm not within a few feet of the excreting party dog poop against grass is often invisible... until I step in it.  I've been tempted to put blue food coloring in my dogs' food so I can always be a responsible scooper but somehow can't bring myself to do it.

... There seems to be a high incidence of colour blindness amongst Manx men - at least I never met so many colour blind people until I moved here to the Rock. ...

Most color blind people inherit the trait so Manx may have a larger number of genetically related inhabitants, not to say inbred.   Color blindness is a sex-linked trait determined by the Y chromosome.  Since males are XY and females YY  many more males inherit the trait since females are less likely to have 2 defective Ys.    Hemophilia is sex-linked as well -- the majority of hemophiliacs are males.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use firefox almost exclusively & remember snowflakes on poz.com but they weren't intrusive or bothersome.  The rest of the stuff is like most sites these days but at least I don't have to wait for an advertisement to play before I can read the article or view the video.   Of course 1/3 of poz is an advertisement but that's another matter.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.