Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:12:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 622
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla resistance, work case scenario  (Read 5554 times)

Offline wanderer37

Atripla resistance, work case scenario
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:58:25 am »
Ok, so here is my situation and would appreciate advise: I have been traveling a lot recently and flew to the other side of the word, taking Atripla 11 hours later than normal to fit my bedtime in new time zone, then got ill the next day with a stomach bug and basically forgot to take it. Kicking myself for this mistake, I had taken atripla every single night at bedtime for the last year and not missed one until now. I'm really worried that the combination of the 11 hour switch, one tablet, then missing a day will cause resistance and it is over a month till I'm back home for a VL test :( . I love atripla cos it is easy to carry and once a day and I have been UD since last year. Really don't want to develop resistance.

Offline darryaz

Re: Atripla resistance, work case scenario
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:09:54 pm »
Atripla is much more "forgiving" than you think.  You didn't do anything that could possibly cause resistance.  Just get back into your routine and you'll be fine.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:45:42 pm »
As an occasional occurrence, this is zero resistance risk. Rest easy.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline wanderer37

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:48:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies, feel better now

Offline wanderer37

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 01:30:44 pm »
One other related question I wanted to post (the worst case scenario bit in the thread title) before but didn't in my blind panic of becoming resistant :).....
What kinds of combinations are available to people who become resistant to Atripla for whatever reason? Has anyone been through this and still found a workable combination like Atripla?

Regards,
Wanderer

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:53:43 pm »
Hello

You can't be resistant to Atripla as such.

You can develop resistance to the component drugs in Atripla (efavirenz, FTC, tenofovir).

This seems like a slight distinction but it is important, because how resistance occurs for each drug, and the consequences for future treatment, are different.

Resistance occurs when tiny changes in your HIV (mutations) allow the virus to evade the effect of a particular drug, or sometimes a class of drug. Some drugs will be useless with one/two changes, some require more.

The mutations which stop drugs like efavirenz working are different to the ones which stop FTC, tenofovir, PIs etc working. 

Therefore if you, by some route, get changes to your HIV that stops 1 drug in Atripla working, you can still use the other 2 and swap the dud med for another unaffected by the changes causing the resistance. This gives you many options.

If, by some event, you became resistant to all the 3 drugs in Atripla you could use a combination that is unaffected by the changes causing this. For example, an integrase inhibitor, or a PI, or a new drug from the same drug class as efavirenz designed to overcome resistance etc etc.

So even with resistance to the 3 drugs in Atripla there will be options.

And, resistance is a subtle thing. Even changes to your HIV that theoretically mean a drug is useless does not always translate into not being able to use that drug. << I will explain more if you like but this post is getting long

A while back there was a guy in New York with serious resistance, the press went mad at the idea of emergence of an untreatable, extra strong type of HIV. The guy was given a standard combination (Atripla), even though he was theoretically resistant to the drugs in this pill. It worked fine.... I guess they could have prescribed other drugs, but with resistance there is value in a try it and see approach sometimes.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:37:32 pm »
And, resistance is a subtle thing. Even changes to your HIV that theoretically mean a drug is useless does not always translate into not being able to use that drug. << I will explain more if you like but this post is getting long

Just to add to the optimism, there was talk in these forums about the fact that TAF (the upcoming new and improved tenofovir) "may actually be active against some HIV strains resistant to TDF [old, I mean, 'classic' tenofovir] and other NRTIs, which means TAF absolutely needs to be studied and made available for individualized second-line and salvage regimens."

TAF: Will an Exciting New Gilead Drug Achieve its Full Potential?

So, even if you developed a resistant strain to the old tenofovir, the new one may still be available to you. Lots of 'ifs' and 'maybes' but it's better than 'no' and 'cause I said so'.

Lee
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline atripla_2013

• Diagnoised Jan 2013, start Atripla June 2013
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 12:25:38 am »
Hi friends,

Thank you for your sharing. So I would like to have your advise about:

When we travel to another country where the time zone is changed a lot from day to night (from asia to EU) what is the best way to take pill?

In my opinion, we should take one pill more in the short time than missing 1 pill in a long time.

Please advise
Male, 30
Diagnoised Jan 2013
July.13: CD4: 351, VL: 85
May.13: CD4: 336, VL: 24100
Start Atripla June 2013
Aug.14: CD4: 650, VL: UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 12:47:07 am »
Atripla is very forgiving so when you travel its perfectly OK to take the dose at bedtime
 ( or when what ever time of the day you take it ) to get back on schedule .

Changing up how you take Atripla is OK to do as long as you are not missing doses consistently . I was on Atripla for many years and used have to do what you are doing and remained undetectable .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.