Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Using PEP  (Read 15238 times)

Offline babycat123

Using PEP
« on: June 22, 2008, 09:59:21 am »
Dear Ann and all

I am a man, live in Vietnam and I had a no protected sex with a new female (have HIV positive) about 3 month ago.
I had PEP in 70 hours later.

63 days after my last dose of PEP (93 days after I had unprotected sex); the result (quick test HIV) is negative.

Do I  have to test again at 3 month? Can I trust the result of this method at 63 days?

Thank and wait your reply!

Offline babycat123

Re: Using PEP
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:16:20 am »
Could you tell me soon? Thank you very much !

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:21:54 am »
3 months after your last dose of PEP will give you a conclusive result. You are HIV negative.

Offline babycat123

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:25:46 am »
Thanks for your reply, could you tell me more ? the test at 3 months only for confirmatory test?

Offline babycat123

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:33:31 am »
Thank RapidRod very much, I want to ask something. I am still worrying.

With 63 days after my last dose of PEP, It is enough time to make a conclusion?

Offline babycat123

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:13:26 am »
Can I take  PCR testing now?

sorry, my English is not good, I hope you understand well.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 12:19:56 pm »
Your negative test result at 63 days is a very good sign that you are likely to continue testing negative.

The PCR is a highly sensitive test and was not designed for diagnostic purposes. It frequently results in a FALSE positive.

What you really need to do is to have the standard HIV test - ELISA - at 13 weeks after when you completed PEP. That will give you a final, reliable result. And I expect it to be negative.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline babycat123

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 12:58:39 pm »
Andy Velez , Thank you very much ! I am worried !

63 days after my last dose of PEP: means that 8 weeks. Could you tell me how many percent I can not be interjected HIV?

Thank you!

Offline babycat123

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 01:22:50 pm »
Now, I have alots of symptoms as arthralgia,...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 01:27:02 pm »
Symptoms or lack of symptoms is not indictiative of HIV infection. If you have a concern about any symptom see your doctor.

Offline babycat123

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 01:33:28 pm »
I am worried sick now...I saw my primary care physician today because my throat has been sore and my eczema has gone haywire. Could this be Ars?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 01:45:57 pm »
Reread my above reply to you.

Offline babycat123

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 07:17:38 pm »
Thank you RapidRod very much !
Dr. Ann, please help me !

Offline babycat123

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 10:47:16 pm »
Dear all,

I have test HIV  is negative with 63 days after my last dose of PEP.

Can I  belive in my result HIV ? I want to avoid testing because I is worried about the possibility of a positive test result. Now, I have alots of symptoms as arthralgia, aches and pains on myshoulder musculus,  only right shoulder. I is prolapsed scrotum. All symptoms aprear on right mybody !

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 12:14:54 am »
Baby-

Only a test 13 weeks after your exposure is definitive. Your initial negative test is a very good sign but is not considered conclusive until 13 weeks post-exposure.

Your "symptoms" could be any number of things. None of them is HIV specific. Try and remain as stress-free as possible during your waiting period, as getting upset and stressed will only make matters worse for you.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline babycat123

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 08:55:16 am »
Dear Ann, Andy Velez and all,
I made a call to a doctor at Pasteur Center in Vietnam, he told me that 2 months after my last dose of PEP is enough to make conclusive. Is it right? I want to hear from you. Can you explain more detail in my case?
Thanks you very much!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 09:25:13 am »
Our standard position that a final test should be done at 13 weeks AFTER the completion of PEP. If you decide to test at 2 months and get a negative result, that result is very unlikely to change but I would still recommend re-testing at 3 months/13 weeks.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.
Andy Velez

Offline babycat123

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 11:11:03 am »
Thank Andy Velez very much!

I want to ask you more. You said: The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to reconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.

You said The average time to seroconversion is 22 days or 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. But why we need to wait until 3 months after  the completion of PEP ?

Thank you very much !

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 04:39:02 pm »
cat,

PEP might delay the production of antibodies. That's why you have to test three months after the completion of PEP.

However, your eight week test is not likely to change. The test at three months is to make CERTAIN there is no infection.

You weren't likely to test postive after this incident anyway and you didn't really need PEP.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline babycat123

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 05:44:13 am »
cat,

PEP might delay the production of antibodies. That's why you have to test three months after the completion of PEP.

However, your eight week test is not likely to change. The test at three months is to make CERTAIN there is no infection.

You weren't likely to test positive after this incident anyway and you didn't really need PEP.
Ann

Thank Ann very much !
Your answer and Andy Velez's answers make me feel happy, reduce  my stress and encourage me so much.

I want to ask you another question. As you know, I had unprotected sex with a female ( have HIV positive , she told me after sex). Why you said "you didn't really need PEP"?
In Vietnam, anyone has unprotected sex also have to use PEP. Usually, PEP are Efavirenz 600 mg and Lamzidivir.

I wish you every success and have good health.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:48:17 am by babycat123 »

Offline babycat123

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:17 am »
Dear Ann and all,

I still worry about my case because I have alots of symptoms. I am in arthritic, aches and pains on my shoulder muscles,  only right shoulder, prolapsed scrotum.

I have a lot information from the web. Here (this web) tell me that hiv infection rate is 1: 1000 ~ 2000. But with my case, they pounced 1: 100 (in Vietnam).

Ann said " you didn't really need PEP" it means the hiv infection rate is 1: 1000 ~ 2000 so we don't need to use PEP?

When the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will reconvert and test positive by ? Without PEP is 6 weeks, But in using PEP case  is when?
 (I'm sorry for my bad English, I hope you can understand )

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:09:19 am by babycat123 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 09:37:36 am »
Nothing you are reporting is in any way HIV specific. You need to discuss your symptoms with your doctor. It's just your mind running wild. I expect you to continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 10:12:13 am »
cat,

I said you didn't really need PEP because hiv is significantly more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man. You were very unlikely to become hiv negative from one incident of unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse, even if she is indeed hiv positive.

Your negative result is not going to change when you confirm at the appropriate time, which is three months after your last dose of PEP.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline babycat123

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 08:06:26 pm »
Thank Ann and Andy Velez  very much.
And thank to everybody who read my topic !

Now, I waiting for the final test, a month later. I spraying.

I am  worried about the possibility of a positive test result.

I greatly appricate your help!

babycat123
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:10:41 pm by babycat123 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 09:46:46 pm »
We can't stop you from worrying, but the consensus here is that you are going to test negative again.

Get busy with other things in your life while you're waiting. It will really help to make the time pass easier.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline babycat123

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:16 am »
Thank you Andy and all,

I have alots of symptoms such as arthritic, aches and pains on my shoulder muscles... and now  I also have strange symptoms that I cannot explain can the following be caused by HIV: Headaches, Dizziness, Feet and hands keep falling asleep, Soft Stool/Diarrhea. I feel very tired, torpid in the morning. but no fevers.

Are those symptoms of HIV or side effects of PEP? Could you tell me the side effects of PEP when a person completeted PEP course (4 weeks) . I mean when I completed my PEP course I have what side effects of PEP are? Are those  symptoms  of liver complaint ?

I greatly appreciate your help!

babycat123
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:18:22 am by babycat123 »

Offline babycat123

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 03:06:48 am »
Dear all,

Could you tell me soon? I can't keep my HIV fear out of my mind.

Thank you very much !

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 04:04:47 am »
Baby,

You need to discuss your symptoms with your doctor. We cannot tell you what's going on over the internet.

Your negative result is NOT going to change when you take your confirmatory test.

You're on your way to a time out if you insist on continuing to bring symptoms here. We don't do symptoms.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline babycat123

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 08:38:43 am »
Thank Ann, Andy Velez and RapidRod very much !
 This morning I had HIV test. The result is negative ( quick test).
Today is 90 days after my last dose of PEP.
Can I trust the result of this result? Do I  have to test again at 6 month?

babycat123

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 09:10:28 am »
Hi Babycat,

If today is the 3 month  mark from your last dose of PEP then you can be tested and trust the result.

I have also taken PEP and am at the 2 month point from my last dose. I tested negative right after ending PEP  and am awaiting getting to the 3 month point. The doc at the HIV clinic assured me that a 3 month test will be conclusive.

I look forward to reading that you were tested and obtained a negative result. From everything I've read and heard I am confident that you will.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 09:22:45 am »
baby,

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

Please use condoms in future.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline babycat123

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 10:34:38 am »
Thank Ann, Andy Velez and RapidRod very much !
and thank everybody who read my topic very much!

"Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever."

I'll always remember your instructions!

I wish you every success and have good health.

Thankyou very much again!

Offline babycat123

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 11:48:07 pm »
Dear Andy Velez,

I want to ask you a question. Is it necessary for me to test at 6 months ?

babycat123

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 07:41:23 am »
baby,

No, you do NOT need to test at six months. You do NOT need further testing over this incident.

You are conclusively hiv negative and it's time you moved on with your life. Remember to always use condoms in future and you'll stay hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline babycat123

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 10:51:53 am »
Thank Ann very much !

I want to ask you a question about HIV test method. I had Determine Test (blood test). How many quick test method? I can believe in my test?

Thanks and waiting !

Babycat123

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 03:11:26 pm »
I'm just going to repeat what Ann has already said: you have conclusively and reliably tested negative for HIV. No further testing is necessary.

Stop indulging in all of this unnecessary drama. You need to get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline babycat123

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 01:15:07 am »
Thank Andy Velez for your relay very much !

I'm worrying because I live in Vietnam. What is different beetwen HIV test method (quick test) in my country and yours?

babycat123

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 11:03:23 am »
baby,

There is no difference. You are hiv negative and it's time you got on with your life.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to repeatedly question your negative hiv status. Please read and abide by the posting guidelines found in the Welcome thread, including this one:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.