Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:22:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 590
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Third set of labs -- comments?  (Read 4208 times)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
Third set of labs -- comments?
« on: December 29, 2006, 05:39:10 pm »
First labs (six months after infection), February 2006: CD4 757, CD4%age 38, VL 70 copies.

Second labs, July: CD4 917, CD4%age 40, VL 53 copies.

Third labs, December: CD4 515, CD4%age 38, VL 500 copies.

Not on HIV meds.

So: between second and third labs, CD4 absolute has dropped by 400, though the %age has remained relatively constant. And my VL has gone from virtually undetectable to a nice (ha!) round number of 500.

[That round rumber has me mildly (and unfairly) suspicious: I went for the blood draw on the 13th of this month, and the CD4 results came in very soon, in less than a week. But for some reason the VL blood vial wasn't examined/analyzed/processed until this week, even though the lab had done three VL batches between the 13th and this week (yep, I checked). Probably means nothing, but illogical/inexplicable delays like this make me curious and nervous.]

Of course I'm kinda disappointed, if not exactly worried. Don't really know what to think about this.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Third set of labs -- comments?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:41:39 pm »
This is a stable infection for the time being (there's lies, damn lies and lab results  :D)

- matt

Now playing: Supafly Inc., Moving Too Fast
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 06:05:46 pm »
Oi Matt! The first clause of your sentence made me smile, the second and qualifying clause made me wrinkle my brow, and the parenthetical quip made me smile as well as frown.  ;D  ;D You evoke complex responses.

Jay

and now playing is a "Simpsons" re-run, on low volume
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 06:57:25 pm »
My CD4 count has raised and dropped almost 500 points in a short period of time.  My ID doc says the % is more of an indicator.   38-40% like yours is great.  I've been infected 18 months and on no meds and mine runs 32-33%.
"So much has been given to me that I have no time to ponder on that which has been denied." ~ Helen Keller

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 07:36:32 pm »
Your numbers are awesome and the changes have not been statistically significant in terms of viral load and percentage.  You're still in the running for being a true LTNP.  I would rejoice at the trend.   :)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 02:24:11 am »
Thanks, Tar Heel and MSPspud, for your responses.

I'm curious about whether the absolute CD4 count fluctuates more when the number (and the percentage) in general is on the higher side (>500) or when it's on the lower side (<500); taking 500 as a semi-arbitrary count. Does my question make sense?

Two apparently contradictory statements from doctors on thebody.org:

Dr. Holodniy in 2000: "cd4 fluctuations are usually larger when the absolute count is < 500."

Dr. Sherer in 2004: "Large fluctuations in CD4 cell counts are more common with higher numbers of T cells, i.e. 500 or above."

The links:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Archive/Relationship/Q5520.html

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Resistance/Archive/general/Q158391.html

Holodniy's comment is nearly seven years old of course; and even Sherer's is two-and-a-half years old. Any "received wisdom" that's more recent, on CD4 fluctuations and their ramifications (or non-ramifications)?

Jay

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 03:29:58 am »
Yes, I AM Supporting You!

Hey Jay...

In the beginning your numbers will fluctuate a bit until some form of stability takes place with your system. Your numbers are looking good without the meds. Please do keep us posted.

Take care of YOU!

Don't You Dare Give Up... Don't You Dare Give In...
BECAUSE It IS ALL Within YOU to WIN!!!

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 08:41:21 am »
I don't know about the >500 or <500 conundrum, but I do know the absolute CD4 number fluctuates more than the percentage.  The percentage is more stable, so that is why if you have a huge fluctuation, part of the picture also needs to include the CD4 percentage.  The first thing needed to figure it is a CBC.  We get the total white count, figure the absolute lymphocytes from that (total WBC count x lymphocyte %).  I won't go into all the aspects of flow cytometry, but we get a percentage of those lymphs that are CD4 (absolute lymph count x %CD4=absolute CD4). 

Anyway, the absolute fluctuates more while the percentage of the lymps that are CD4 is more constant.  For example, the CD4 count tends to be lower in the morning and higher in the evening, so if you got your blood drawn the morning one time and then the next time decided to go later in the day--the time of day alone can affect it.  If you have an infection, that can affect it.  If you, say have to go on prednisone for some reason, that can affect it.  Also, as Eldon said at first it can bounce around anyway.  So basically anything that affects any of the variables--the total WBC, total lymphocyte count (the number you take the % CD4 from) can make the CD4 bounce around. 

Do I make sense or say anything remotely helpful?  I am not always the best at explaining things, so hopefully I didn't confuse anyone (I tend to do that sometimes).  :-\

Oh and as for the delay in viral load.  It could be they had a huge backlog or the tube got placed on the wrong rack or the tube got packed away by mistake instead of being run.  I have come into that situation where I see a test pending and then have to go tube hunting--very fun and one of the few things that make me start swearing.  Many things could have happened, but labs aren't always logical places. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 08:46:40 am by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 10:45:32 pm »
Thanks coffeechick. And you can educate me on flow cytometry anytime!

Reply from Dr. Holodniy:

http://www.thebody.org/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Current/Q180862.html

Jay

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 12:24:50 am »
Jay-

You're doing fine.   CD4's can go up or down several hundred, based upon what time of the day it is, whether you've recently been ill, what food you've eaten, whether you've smoked some pot (AND THERE ARE STUDIES WHICH INDICATE THAT SMOKING POT HELPS TO RAISE THE CD4'S- BUT i DON'T REMEMBER THE SPECIFICS).

I'm waiting for my VL, but my T4's are at 374...  they've never, ever, even during the worst of my bad behaviors, dropped below 350. :)  Your percentage is a bigger indicator. 

:) 

-joseph

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.