Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:19:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Surviving without meds  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Topperct

Surviving without meds
« on: July 15, 2006, 05:50:05 am »
Hi all.  My partner and I have only just been tested positive and over a short space of time have gathered much information regarding so many aspects of the virus.  We understand that we are, however unfortunate, actually fortunate to have caught this at a time when so much is known about managing it.  It has no longer become a death sentence but rather something that has willed us to now be aware of the healthy lifestyle that we should have always lived.  It is now no longer a choice but a way of life!  Because we have only recently caught the virus, our immune systems are still healthy and strong. We have been told that it may be years before we may even need to go onto meds.  From what I have read in these forums, the major variance points to the daily trap of taking the meds rather than our appreciation for their ability to allow us the privilege of indefinitely sustaining our lives.  I have seen so many trains of thought and experiences.  Some comforted me and others reflected the emotional demure that some people live their every day by.  I want to know from you, who I hold in high regard, what I must do to ensure that I maintain a strong immune system.  I run every day and gym three times a week.  I have changed my diet and take some pretty powerful vitamens.  You are the ones that know what to eat, what not to, how do do things that make you strong.  Help me by sharing your own experiences with me.  Anything that will allow me to stay off the meds for as long as I can keep my immune system strong.  Help me to help myself!  I look forward any contributions.  Even negatives will be viewed from a positive perspective!  ('scuse the pun)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Surviving without meds
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 06:54:49 am »
  It has no longer become a death sentence but rather something that has willed us to now be aware of the healthy lifestyle that we should have always lived.   Help me to help myself!  I look forward any contributions.  Even negatives will be viewed from a positive perspective!  ('scuse the pun)

Hello,

Welcome to the forums. The first thing that I would like to put into perspective for you, is your own words, that  Hiv/ aids is no longer a death sentence. I know thats what you've apparently heard.

Let me give you some facts : Since 1981, more then 25 million people have died from this disease.

Iin 2005, approx. 2.8 million people have died from this disease.( that was last year alone)

There are many more disturbing facts then the ones I gave you. But thats a start, and unfortunately the truth.

HIV infection leads to AIDS and AIDS leads to death. Once again thats the reality.

Without medication and medical intervention, typically one arrives at AIDS diagnosis, approximately 10 years after  infection. I had my AIDS diagnosis in 2003, also approx 17 years into infection. This is not the norm. It is difficult to say when anyone may have to start on medication. Our bodies handle this virus differently, from one person to the next.

No one wants to begin medication,( I know I didn't) because once you start on medication, it is most likely for the rest of your life. You may be fortunate enough to have some treatment breaks, depending on your health and your numbers.

You ask when can you do to avoid medication as long as possible. Hope, wish, pray to the gods/goddeses, what ever your beliefs are, that you have good genetic material that will hopefully keep your immune system strong.

Educate yourself on this virus, and don't allow yourself to slack off. Keep up with all your doctors appointments, and ask your doctor questions !!! The more informed you are about this virus.... it will help you further down the road.

There werer healthy changes that I made in my life, back in 1985, when I was diagnosed HIV positive. Actually, I started making those changes in 1986. My first year after diagnosis was spent drunk.

I quit smoking, My drinking habits calmed way down through the years, and by 1998-99 I had quit drinking completely. This was my choice. I was still very healthy at that time, but it was something I felt that I had to do.

Try to eat right, get enough sleep and don't stress out. HIV and stress are a bad combo.

I will only keep this brief, but my last words to you is to never give up hope that someday a cure will be found !!! Get yourself involved . Be a voice, in this fight and struggle, that we all have !!

I know a lot of this is tough to handle, especially since you were just diagnosed positive, but make sure you give yourself time to adjust. It can be an emotional rollercoaster, and the road ahead, has plenty of potholes, and speed bumps, but through knowledge, and common sense you will be able to navigate through it. Keep your head together !!

Take care of yourselves, will be looking forward to hearing from you !!

----Ray

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 06:56:43 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 07:24:44 am »
Hi Topper,

I welcome you to the family and trust you will fit right in here. 

I survived for 11 years with absolutely no intervention, aside for the changes you two have already made.  I worked and continued on with my life, as though nothing were any different.  When I started an ASO in New Mexico and had all of the attached stress to that event, I then went into full AIDS, but personally I feel that the stress is the most dangerous thing you will ever confront with HIV. 

As far as eating, keep your food physically clean, and also your water.  Eat loads of animal protein, and keep your bodies hydrated with loads of water.  These two things will keep you healthier for a longer time than just about anything else I have heard about.

Best of luck in the coming days, and please keep a positive attitude, as you are both still very healthy and HIV should only be a minimal detail in your lives at this point. 

In Love, and Understanding.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Topperct

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:35:11 am »
Hey there Ray!

Thanks!  I appreciate the down to earth honesty!  I knew that I would find that here after reading many of the forums!  I am sound genetically and sport fit.  Also have a number of friends that have lived with virus for in excess of 10 years.  They are becoming a support group.  I have a strong mind and will.  So I will take everyday as it comes.

I wish you all the best and a long future full of new hope every day!

Keep your chin up and your spirit strong!

Arthur

Offline Topperct

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 08:43:16 am »
Hey Tim

You certainly have seen some of the worst moments!  I read your Blogs.  Thanks for your positive words despite your past ordeal.

All the best as well!

Arthur

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 11:45:20 am »
Hey Arthur,
Welcome to the forums and this eclectic family of absolutely wonderful people.

Tim and Ray have pretty much laid things out for you. I might add that, after 21 years with the bug, I know it is possible to live a very full life.

As far as the meds go, I think of them as a weapon in this fight against the virus, rather than something to dread or fear.

Sure, it is a commitment, and sure, there may be side effects, etc., but it beats the alternative.

So, hang in there, educate yourself, as you say you have been doing, and remember you aren't alone in this. We are here for you.

Keep posting and let us know how you all are doing.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 02:00:29 pm »
Topper.
Quote from AVERT.ORG on Worldwide HIV&AIDS Epidemic Statistics:

During 2005, some 4.1 million people became infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which causes AIDS.
The year also saw 2.8 million deaths from AIDS - a high global total, despite antiretroviral (ARV) therapy, which reduced AIDS-related deaths among those who received it. Deaths among those already infected will continue to increase for some years even if prevention programmes manage to cut the number of new infections to zero. However, with the HIV-positive population still expanding the annual number of AIDS deaths can be expected to increase for many years, unless more effective provision of ARV medication begins to slow the death rate.

You can go to that site here, http://www.avert.org.uk/worlstatinfo.htm

Terry (Who intends on dying a nasty OLD OLD man.) Got the nasty down!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 03:04:41 pm »
Arthur,

I was diagnosed in 1987. I declined protease inhibitors for years – mostly healthy and problem free – until November of 2002 when I collapsed in line at a checkout of a grocery store. My viral the load was more than 500,000 at that point, and HIV had hijacked me, as my doctor likes to put it.

During my time without meds, I worked at keeping physically fit, ate more healthy than I ever had before, got off alcohol, quit smoking, had a loving ten-year relationship and an active, grounded spiritual life. None of that stopped the reality that I had this virus in me and it was going to try to kill me eventually.

I hope you can continue to do well without needing meds for a long while, but make no mistake: the day will come as it does for all of us.

I consider the minimal side effects and routine of taking meds a small price to pay for waking up alive each morning.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 06:34:58 pm »
During my time without meds, I worked at keeping physically fit, ate more healthy than I ever had before, got off alcohol, quit smoking, had a loving ten-year relationship and an active, grounded spiritual life. None of that stopped the reality that I had this virus in me and it was going to try to kill me eventually.

Hi Arthur: Similar to DanielMark's story above, I too gravitated to healthy stuff while I was not on meds. The difference with me (foolish difference) was that I did not think I needed meds. Then I almost collapsed twice last summer. I started meds in September 2005

I hope you can continue to do well without needing meds for a long while, but make no mistake: the day will come as it does for all of us.

True blue, DanielMark.

Arthur: Here's wishing you the best. We're here for you. Ask, rant, share. This is a beautiful place;D Ciao, Alex

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 05:41:59 am »
I must add that doctors did try to get me on meds but I kept telling them I felt fine, so why mess with that

Man, was that the wrong end of the telescope! LOL

My only suggestion then would be that you keep monitoring your levels closely Arthur, as I'm sure you will.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline michaelbr

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 08:02:26 am »
I have known a friend who is doing well with multivitamins and Green Tea without any other medication for past few years. Try to have multivitamins including selenium which could improve your immune system. It is better if the multivitamins include beta-crotene which is powerful antioxidant. In the market, you will find multivitamins with selenium and betacarotene.

Another powerful antioxidant is Green Tea which includes powerful antioxidants of which EGCG is most well-known.

To read more about Green Tea (EGCG) with latest news on benefits on it, visit

http://www.egcg.co.uk/

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 08:08:45 am »
Hey Arthur,

Living a healthy life is important but sometimes it is not only the genetic structure of your own body but also the genetic structure of the visus that makes things go faster.

I hope that you can live without meds a long time, but just try to realise that if you do need meds, it is not some kind of failure because you did not live healthy enough. The meds are there to help us, of course they are not perfect but without them I would have been dead a long time ago. Even when you're not on meds it is helpful to try and get an attitude towards meds that they are there to help you when you need them.

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline Topperct

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 01:14:56 pm »
Thanks to all that have respnded so far.  The pixel of the greater picture is really positive and I thank all who have responded with both neg but importantly positive advice.  I am going to leave the topic up for a bit longer because I have growth keen to hear what the people who know are able to share.  Thanks again!

I trust you will keep the will to fight and live! My heart goes out to you all!

Love life!

Arthur

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.