Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 04:20:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 173
Total: 173

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Under Review" by Soc Sec  (Read 12171 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
"Under Review" by Soc Sec
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:16:16 pm »
I am currently under review....I'm hoping it is not going to turn into a big deal.
I have been on SSD since 1995.

I have worked, part-time, pretty much since 1998.   The past few years, I have earned right up to the allowable monthly threshhold (currently $940 gross).  Social Security sent me a questionnaire, saying they needed to "know more about my work".   I filled it out pretty much EXACTLY the same as I had filled out the previous one (I had one back in 2004).   I never heard back from Soc. Security.

Then, at my job, we received a letter from Soc Sec Admin asking for a break-down on exactly how much I was paid from 2004 to current (they only had W-2's to go by, they wanted a month-by-month break down)   So I got that completed, and mailed it back in to them......still no reponse.   I think if they were seriously considering taking some action about my SSD, they would be requesting medical records (they have requested none as of yet).   I think they just wanted to make sure I didn't earn the WHOLE yearly amount in one or two months (don't I wish!  work 2 months, be off 10)   My pay is so low, it does seem kind of silly to think someone would work as much as I do for so little money.....

I know I will be very relieved when I get an "all clear" from them.   In Georgia, I had a great contact at the SS office, and I reported to her on a monthly or bi-monthly basis, sending copies of pay stubs......I have attempted to do the same here, but no one at my local AL SS office seems to have anything to say about it.....

Funny isn't it?  Someone like me, who goes EXACTLY by the rules, making sure I stay under the monthly gross allowable, gets questioned.....when I know of TWO friends who collect SSD and work FULL-TIME (getting paid totally under the table) !  They sure live a lot better than me....but I just can't, in good conscience, do that.   I have always tried to be above-board with Social Security, because I am someone who appreciates my SSD benefits, and can't imagine how I would have survived without them.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that this is just another "bump in the road" and no big deal.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Robert

Re: "Under Review" by Soc Sec
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:51 am »
hi alan

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.  I know what you mean, trying to live by the rules and yet still feeling that someone somewhere is just waiting for you to trip up.  Your friends must be feeling really good.  There is absolutely no way I could work full time.  I'm not even working part time (but I've got a partner to share expenses so that helps).  Last summer I had to stop my rowing...I just couldn't handle it.  Now, I wake up in the morning and I'm ready for a nap at 11.  I force myself to "work" until 1p (I'm talking about the work around the farm) and then I just have to call it quits.

Just let it be. That's all I ask.

I'm with you alan....robt

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:04:45 am »
hi, try not to worry too much about the review, SSA has periodic, random checks they must conduct for auditing purposes. IFFFF, however, you discover that it is a problem or they may in fact be considering reducing or eliminating your SSDI amount, they should send you a letter. If that happens I highly recommend that you immediate go to your local Vocational Rehabilitation Office and have them process you as an applicant for services. At least that way they can put you in the "Ticket to Work" plan with SSDI and that has special rules for persons who are trying to get back full time into the work force, whether you really can or not. It freezes the count on how much you can make each month for a set period of time without any penalties and what not. Take heart, there are options. thanks, Zan

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:13:39 am »
Hey Alan,

I'm keeping my fingers and legs crossed for you, darling.  I don't see why social security would want to mess with your benefits since you're not going over what you're allowed. 

About your friends working full-time under the table, well, if I could find part-time work under the table, I would do it.  That may sound shadey, but hey, even though it wouldn't effect my SDDI, it would effect my housing allowance (they take 20% of whatever one makes).  I wouldn't be able to do it full-time, but heck yes, I'd do it. 

I know, it seems like people who "play by the rules" always end up getting screwed somehow.  Let's just hope for the best. 
  Luv ya,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:48:08 am »
Sounds like you cross your t's and dot your i's Alan, so hopefully you'll be fine. I'll be thinking of you.

Hal

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:50:12 am »
Alan, I really don't think you have cause to worry if you've not gone over the income borderline stuff.  I had my case manager help me when I was up for review 3 years ago and it really helped calm my nerves -- and yes, like you, any correspondence from SS Admin. makes me grab for the klonopin.

If it comes to them hassling you at some point there are appeal avenues, but I seriously doubt it will come to that.  Basically we just filled out my forms, turned them in, and I never heard another peep. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline dixieman

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 03:04:28 pm »
Alan, Nothing is wrong with playing by the rules... sometimes it seems to work against us.... but, in the long run your doing the right thing. Remember as frustrating as it may seem... what can hapen if you were caught working... and recieveing ssdi... the government loves to make an example out of the little man... I have a couple of friends who happen to work under the table but, the stress of being caught can do more damage to your health. Now I do not condemn my friends for working under the table and collecting ssdi... their just doing what they have to get by... no insurance... not able to work full time... people do what theyve got to do... I really do not know what we can do for you but, wish you the best for now... Hopefully you'll be fine since your playing by the rules... This would be an excellent topic for the Today Show etc... and or a similar show for the public awareness... How many Americans have to live within certain boundries to sustain an existence... just to survive with a debilitating disease... whether its chronic and or terminal... so many exist this way... sincerely, John

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 05:49:05 pm »
Hi Alan,

I wouldn't worry too much either, they send out these kinds of verifications on occasion even if you are only working part-time.  They have to do it to keep  their files up to date. 
2000 - seroconverted
2005 - cd4 350, VL 113,000
3/06 - started sustiva/truvada
3/08 - cd4 1,300 VL >50(undet.)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 08:50:28 am »
Hey Alan,

I hope this little bump in the road is nothing but a temporary annoyance.

Yes, you play by the rules, but at least you have a clear conscience.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38:13 am »
Thanks everyone, for your helpful replies.

First of all, let me state that I AM NO ANGEL, and I am not judging or condemning those who are working "under the table".   I have done some shady things in the past to be able to keep my benefits. (such as keeping up the pretense of being a GA resident, even though I had left the state).

When you have a terminal illness, and you feel like you are 'fighting for your life' in every aspect of day-to-day living, it tends to make you get down to the nitty gritty and do what you have to do to get by.

I have "played by the rules" regarding Social Security Disability though.   There was one month, Dec 2005, that they wanted to give me a Christmas "bonus" at my job of $575.  Well WOO HOO !   So I graciously accepted it, without thinking it through; they ran it through the payroll system and it appeared on my W-2....that put me "over my limit" for that one month.

The numbers for that month were reported to them on the letter I was referring to above, so it won't surprise me if they ask for that back, or at least some of it.   That will hurt, to have a future check 'reduced', but I'll get by.

Since Dec 2005, I have refused any bonuses (when offered; none was offered last year).   I did allow them to pay my YMCA membership for me a couple of times though, so I guess technically that was "income" but since the check was written from my employer to the Y, and not to me, I did not report that.

I'll let you know how this all plays out.

hugs, Alan
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:39:50 am by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 02:30:57 pm »
"When you have a terminal illness, and you feel like you are 'fighting for your life' in every aspect of day-to-day living, it tends to make you get down to the nitty gritty and do what you have to do to get by."

Alan,

You are absolutely right!  Hang in there man.   

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:10:21 pm »
I know this is worrying your last, gray, dickhair dahlin'. It is always a pill when you know you are being scrutinized. Knowing you are probably about the most honest person I have ever known, I doubt you will have any problems.
Do yourself a favor hon, take a little extra roughage in your diet for a bit, until you can breathe and relax that sphincter.  ;D  ::)
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 12:59:58 am »
Nerve-wracking, being under scrutiny.  I too have been working while disabled and have had my run-ins both with Social Security (stopped paying for ten months in error, me screaming at them the whole time, thank you Jebus for credit cards) and long-term disability insurance (when I inquired about specific provisions before trying to go back to work, they sent a private investigator to interview me).

It does make you wonder how HIVers who work but might have some cognitive impairments are supposed to handle the SSA reporting requirements.  I find the paperwork agonizing and the rules byzantine, and I worked in accounting for years.

I truly hope that what you've been going through turns out to be an innocuous routine check.

Continuing the reinvention of genteel poverty,

lipoenvy

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 09:25:53 am »
continuing the reinvention of genteel poverty

lipoenvy, this "closing remark" gave me a smile to start my day!  Ain't it the truth?   Not sure how "genteel" I'm being these days....

Still no word from S S -- no news is good news, right?    Thanks everyone for your replies!   I'll let you know how this turns out (and Lisa I may be moving in with you if they decide to cut me off --lol)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 04:50:26 am »
lipoenvy, this "closing remark" gave me a smile to start my day!  Ain't it the truth?   Not sure how "genteel" I'm being these days....

Still no word from S S -- no news is good news, right?    Thanks everyone for your replies!   I'll let you know how this turns out (and Lisa I may be moving in with you if they decide to cut me off --lol)

Oh Lisa, write a letter to SS on Alan's behalf.  ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.