Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:29:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772786
  • Total Topics: 66297
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 193
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Insertive anal sex , condom broke and now on PEP  (Read 21209 times)

Offline trevor84

• Standard
Insertive anal sex , condom broke and now on PEP
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:53:38 am »
Hi,

Ann and others, I have read a number of posts that you guys have responded. I know what I am going to write will make you guys respond in a similar way but I still have to tell you what happened, just so I feel at peace.

So, on 5th November 8 pm Indian Standard Time (5:30 h ahead of GMT), I met a guy on an app and he performed oral sex on my for a really long time, about 30 minutes. In the heat of the moment (I avoid anal sex entirely, always), he encouraged me to top him. I wore a condom he gave me. Within a few seconds of thrusting the condom tore on the side and I removed and threw it. He insisted I wear another one and I did so. This too tore. I either wore it wrong or I was too drunk to realise he used oil instead of water-based lube. I asked him if he was tested and he did not give me a convincing answer. I did not ejaculate nor did I see any blood on his body, but all that can be microscopic. I am not sure if my urethra came into contact with his fluids.

I was very anxious and the next day, I went to a hospital and saw a general physician who put me on PEP for 28 days (Viraday by Cipla, also sold as Atripla abroad, I guess). I took the first tablet at 2:30 pm (around 18 hours after the possible exposure). The doctor I saw asked me to take my second dose at night before dinner. So, I took the dose a few minutes before I started to write this letter, and it has been almost 30 hours since my first dose of Viraday.

Now I know, that the possibility of him being HIV positive is not confirmed, but he very well could be, because he mentioned he meets a lot of guys. Second, I know the risks for the insertive partner is lesser and if the condom breaks, it is lesser than not wearing at all. However, it is still riskier than receptive oral sex.

The doctor has asked for an HIV PCR Quantitative Test after 6 weeks (2 weeks post PEP), which costs about $150 where I live and in a developing country like India, it is a bomb. I can't afford so much on a test but I will, if I have to. He has also prescribed B12 supplements.

Here are the questions that you are already used to responding. Honestly, when the answers are written for you, it feels a lot better. So I just have to ask them anyway. I promise I won't bother you with repetitive questions.

1. What are my likelihoods of being HIV positive after this particular incident, considering I started my PEP at the 18th hour and my second dose being 30 hours after my first dose? I am baseline negative and have always had safe sex.

2. My eyes turned red after my first dose of Viraday and I have mouth ulcers as well. The doctor is very expensive as he charges $20 per consultation (Remember, in India, $20 is a lot for a consultation with a general physician). I bought 30 tablets for $100, which again was very expensive for me. I want to continue taking these tablets and not ask for another drug so that I don't have to spend money on drugs again.

3. Someone asked me to do a P24 antigen test instead of the PCR after 3 weeks from the date of exposure, as it is cheaper. Should I do this?

I am worried sick.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:05:21 am by trevor84 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Insertive anal sex , condom broke and now on PEP
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:14:38 am »
Trevor,

1. What are my likelihoods of being HIV positive after this particular incident? I am baseline negative and have always had safe sex.

I've yet to see the insertive partner end up hiv positive following a condom break - PEP or no PEP - and I do not expect you to be the first.

2. My eyes turned red after my first dose of Viradaya and I have mouth ulcers as well. The doctor is very expensive as he charges $20 per consultation (Remember, in India, $20 is a lot for a consultation with a general physician). I bought 30 tablets for $100, which again was very expensive for me. I want to continue taking these tablets and not ask for another drug so that I don't have to spend money on drugs again.

Red eyes are not a side effect of the meds you are on.

You should take your tablet two hours before or two hours after eating. The side effects of one of the meds in your tablet (efavirenz) can be more noticeable when taken with food. You should also take your tablet just before going to bed at night so you sleep through any efavirenz side effects.

To read more about the drugs that are in the tablet you are taking (it is the same thing as Atripla), see our drug information pages here.

3. Someone asked me to do a P24 antigen test instead of the PCR after 3 weeks from the date of exposure, as it is cheaper. Should I do this?

You do not need PCR testing, and three weeks post-PEP is too early for any testing.

Any PCR test result - positive or negative - must be confirmed with antibody testing. It's a waste of money.

The earliest you should test is at six weeks, and you only need standard hiv antibody testing. Some hiv antibody tests include p24 antigen testing, but this isn't really necessary.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks (or six weeks post-PEP). A negative result at six weeks (post-PEP) is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point (post-PEP).

I seriously do not expect you to end up hiv positive due to this situation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:19:21 am »
Thank you very much Ann, for responding. I edited my first question to include this: that I took my first dose 18 hours after my possible exposure and the second dose, 30 hours after the first dose (48 hours after exposure). Will the 30 hours gap make any difference? The doctor I consulted said it will not and I just followed his instructions.

Also Ann, the doctor told me to take the tablet 30 minutes before food (dinner).

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:22:35 am »
The window period for pep is within 72 hours of exposure so you will be OK . Best of luck .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:23:58 am »
Trevor,

No, the one-off time gap won't make a difference. From now on just try to take it as close to 24 hours apart as you can.

Your doctor was mistaken. It's a well-known fact that the efavirenz component of Viraday should be taken on an empty stomach, and that means two hours before or two hours after a meal.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »
After taking my second dose I got a serious high and I couldn't move for about 2 hours. I shouldn't have eaten scrambled eggs I guess. I'll remember to wait for two hours before eating. I have been worried about two things that Atripla could probably do. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance last year and when I mentioned this to the doctor he just shrugged and said it wouldn't matter as it is only for 28 days. But I have read online that Atripla can cause diabetes. Can taking this for 28 days trigger diabetes in its full blown form? I'm 29 with a normal HBA1C (4.6) but impaired fasting glucose (105). Second I am a bit vain and I am worried if this tablet is known to exacerbate hair fall. I read forum pots on this websites about both the conditions and someone who posted that their condom broke, got HIV and hairfall increased on Atripla was banned and in one of the posts Jeff says he got diabetes cos of Atripla. I mean no offense but I just can't stop searching on Google about diabetes Atripla and Hairfall atripla.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:56:41 pm »
A month of Atripla may raise your lipids temporarily but that's about it . Your hair wont fall out and you wont get diabetes .

I think the long term use of Atripla contributed to my diabetes , not caused it . The side effect profiles of these drugs only applies to you guys on PEP in a general way for the short term . Many of the the more serious metabolic problems that plague people living with HIV took years to develop . My lipids after long term use has greatly improved off the Atripla so a month isn't going to hurt you . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:06:03 am »
Hi.. Here is an update. I made the guy go get tested for HIV. The lab did a CMIA/P24 test and the results came back non-reactive with his index value being 0.17. Though he is negative, he has had unprotected sex prior to meeting me. He probably could be in the window period? The PEP is really tough and my hair has gone dry and brittle and it has started to fall. Today I have to take my 5th dose. I want to make him get tested on the PCR test but he won't agree. He isn't answering my telephone calls and cancels it when I call up. So, there is no way I will know if he is in window period or actually negative. I haven't been able to do/think anything but this, since Sunday (November 3, when the exposure happened).

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 06:15:19 am »
You are on PEP and you are going to be OK . Stop harassing some guy to go test , the only test that matters is yours that you must take at the appropriate time . 

Think about it . Whats done is done and your test is what matters now .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:21:19 am »
According to the protocol here, if the source tests negative, they ask you to stop PEP. So, my confusion is whether to continue PEP with all its side effects or just stop it. Or should I ask my doctor for a different drug combo other than Atripla, which probably is kinder to my body? I don't mean to harass him or anyone here by posting, but I am just confused what I must do, with regard to the remaining 24 days of PEP. Should I take his P24 test as a true negative and stop the PEP?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 06:38:31 am »
Trevor,

This other guy could very well be in the window period - and yes, a window period exists for the p24 antigen as well. See this post for an explanation - but DO NOT post in that thread.

Even if what's going on with your hair has anything to do with the meds you're on, it will stop and reverse once you stop taking it at the end of the 28 days.

What would you rather have, a short-lived hair problem, or hiv for the rest of your life?

Given that you've been complaining about the financial aspect of having to go on PEP, do you really want to shell out more money for a different set of drugs, ones that might well have the same or other side-effects? Either quit taking PEP all together or stick with what you already have.

I've yet to see the insertive partner end up hiv positive following a condom break - PEP or no PEP - and I do not expect you to be the first.

What you decide is totally up to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 11:16:36 am »
Hi Ann and Jeff,

I have decided to continue the PEP as long as my body allows. I am sorry I am asking this question again but the doctor I went to doesn't seem to meet a lot of HIV patients and has no clue what to say, except that PEP lasts for 28 days. I have no place to turn to, which is why I am coming back here to post.  I have read that hyperglycaemia is a side-effect of Atripla and as I am already diagnosed with insulin resistance, will I become completely diabetic in the near future? Is there something I could do to reduce toxicity? Can I take biotin tablets along with Viraday or will it interact?

Trevor

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 11:38:15 am »
Trevor , you are not going to become a diabetic from 28 days of PEP so you can put that aside . Don't load up on supplements or change things up too much . Just take your meds at least two hours after a meal at bedtime .

You can do this . Go find something you enjoy and do it . Its going to be a long 28 days if spend it fixated on all the negatives . You are going to be just fine , so go have fun .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 11:52:12 am »
OK Jeff. I will remember what you just said each time I worry (which is like 24/7). I will try to stay away from the forums for a while and come back and let you guys know how the PEP goes. Thank you very much for your kindness.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 12:02:28 pm »
You are welcome ... I have lived with HIV for 30 years and it seems to be much harder for you guys to live with the thought of it for 28 days LOL . I'm just kidding of course but be mindful that you are on pep and you are going to be ok and come out of this fine .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:04:59 pm »
I know Jeff.. A lot of us without a particular problem sound insensitive and self-centred, though that may not actually be the truth. Such is human nature. And I know you are kidding too.

I can't express how consoled I feel reading yours and Ann's replies again and again.  :)

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 02:05:00 pm »
I have been taking domperidone to beat the nausea. I take it along with Viraday at night. Is this going to interact and render the medicine ineffective? Noticed sore throat, very low grade fever and nasal congestion today.. I take the tablet about 2 and half hours to 3 hours after my dinner. I do not get the scary 'highs' anymore..

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 02:09:29 pm »
I have been taking domperidone to beat the nausea. I take it along with Viraday at night. Is this going to interact and render the medicine ineffective? Noticed sore throat, very low grade fever and nasal congestion today.. I take the tablet about 2 and half hours to 3 hours after my dinner. I do not get the scary 'highs' anymore..

It will not effect your medication so you can relax .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:48 am »
Jeff/Ann, I am sorry I am posting again but I have to get this out of my mind. When I took my first dose of Viraday, it was 18 hours (2:30 pm, Nov 4th) post exposure (8:30 pm November 3rd). The second dose was after 29 hours the next day (November 5th, 7:30 pm, 47 hours from exposure) and the third dose was again 29 hours later on the third day (November 6th, 12:30 am, 76 hours post exposure). I pushed the dose timing on the third day because Ann mentioned there has to be 2-3 hours gap after eating and taking it before bedtime reduces side effects (which has so far been true). My doctor had wrongly told me to take the tablet 30 minutes before food and I used to get scary highs.

Anyway, my new worry is that these lengthy gaps during those initial 3 days might somehow have compromised my treatment. Since the 4th day, I have been taking it around 12:30 am, before I sleep.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 08:45:15 am »
Trevor , that particular med is very potent and stays in your system a very long time . You will be more than OK if you take your one pill a day , the time of day isn't that important , just be careful to not take it with as fatty meal like we discussed before .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:33 am »
Ok Jeff. That's a relief. I shall continue to take domperidone in the morning and at night (2 tablets) to beat the nausea. I think I will take domperidone throughout my PEP regimen, as it has also helped me beat dizziness along with nausea. Thank you so very much. Will go out and try to distract my mind. You guys are awesome.

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 03:48:21 pm »
Hi Jeff and Ann,

I am sorry I didn't inform what happened after my PEP. I tested negative after 3 months of stopping the treatment.

Now I may need a PEP again. I am feeling so stupid I let this happen again. I was drunk and we had agreed not to have anal sex. I have to be a little explicit here to know if I should go on PEP again or not. The guy rimmed me (no risk) and fingered me and then tried to penetrate me (which I had told him not to). He had pinned me against the bed and I tried as much as possible not to let him enter. For about 15 minutes he alternated between fingering and then forcing his penis against my anus. I do not remember him penetrating other than rubbing against the mucosal lining. I shut myself and tried to stop him by wiggling. Probably he entered for a fraction of a second? I am not sure. He did not ejaculate inside me or on the surface. I was almost raped but gay sex is illegal in my country so there is no point victimizing myself.

This morning, after passing stools, my anus started to burn. Its been burning mildly ever since. I am not freaking out. He refused to test and says he is safe, etc. But I can't be sure. I do not have Atripla (Viraday) this time around. I will have to buy it tomorrow, by when, 36 hours would have passed.

Should I go on PEP again? I developed alopecia patches on my beard 3 months ago. Could going on PEP aggravate it? Will it induce vitiligo? Both of these disorders are autoimmune in nature and I was wondering if they can be induced or aggravated by Atripla.

Please let me know what I must do. Was this a risk if he entered for a couple of seconds or if he kept rubbing his dick against a fresh but very mild wound?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 03:59:34 pm »
If you were entered it was a risk although a diminished one if it was dipping you would still need to test . PEP is not recommend in this situation but it’s your choice . There is not allot we can advise other than if you were penetrated then go test at 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months . Please ... we can’t get into how many centimeters of penis is a risk for HIV so don’t even go there LOL . I’m wishing you the best .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 04:14:39 pm »
Hi Jeff,

The guy tested positive for HIV. I don't know whether HIV 1 or 2. He must be recently infected as well and I am assuming his viral load is very high.

I immediately bought Viraday (Atripla) and took my first dose at 6:30 PM on Monday. The first possible exposure (PEP started at the 69th hour) to the virus was around 9:30 pm Friday (Only oral sex) and the other possible exposure (66th hour) could be anywhere between 12:30 to 2:30 am on the same night. As I was under the influence of alcohol, I cannot exactly remember the time. All I remember is, there was intense fingering and attempts to penetrate which he could not entirely. The tip might have entered for a second or two. 

PEP was started only after 66 hours from the time of exposure. Obviously, the odds of getting HIV seems to be very high. What do you guys think? I am of course, very scared and disappointed.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 04:34:37 pm »
You did have a risk from dipping if that indeed did happen but its not a high risk ... just a risk on the lower end of risk . PEP is effective if taken within 72 hours so you should be OK when you test at 3 months past pep to confirm the results .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 05:38:02 pm »
Hi Jeff,

I am a little worried about the PEP medicine I am taking. As you know, I was prescribed Viraday last year (Atripla) and I read online that this is an outdated PEP medicine and that it's efficacy reduces if taken on an empty stomach. I take it two hours after eating.

Also, On Monday, my first dose was at 6:30pm, after I got to know that the guy was positive (I self-medicated with Viraday because I did not have time to see a doctor and this was the only drug I knew to buy at the pharmacy, which was shutting down anyway). On Tuesday and Wednesday too, I took it around 6pm. It made my whole evening terrible and I had to push my dinner towards 10pm to avoid the buzz. Today, I took a dose at 8am and again one at 9pm, effectively pushing the PEP dose timing by 3 hours. Was this a bad idea? I would like to take this at 11pm tomorrow, just before bed, so that I can have my dinner at 9pm. Should I take two doses tomorrow to make sure there is enough medicine in my system?

These medicines are very expensive and I may not be able to afford another bottle. Should I see a HIV specialist and ask for something more modern?

It is very demoralising to read on other websites that PEP's effectiveness reduces as the time of first dose nears 72 hours. Mine being around 66 hours, I hardly feel optimistic.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:41:55 pm by trevor84 »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 07:29:56 pm »
You need to slow down a bit.  PEP is effective if started within 72 hours.  Never take two doses of any medication at once.  If you miss a dose, wait until your next dose and  take only one dose.  You need to be taking your drug at the same time every day.  Alter your eating, not your medicine schedule.

If medication access is a concern, you could see a GP Physician to prescribe an alternative drug.

Joe

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 01:46:36 am »
Hi Joe,

I can't see my GP until Monday and I don't have health insurance. If viraday is effective for PEP I'm gonna suck it up and take it for the next 25 days. Last night I took it at 9pm. Before that, I took it at 6pm. Today, should I take it at 9pm or 6pm? For an alternative drug, I will need to wait.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 09:54:28 am »
Trevor, stop making this more complicated than it needs to be. You need to faithfully adhere to a regimen. Discuss with your doctor on Monday about what you're taking and when to take it. And then stick to that. It's your responsibility so get with the program.

Don't make this harder than it needs to be.
Andy Velez

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 03:13:02 pm »
Thanks Andy.. One last question before I see the doctor. I noticed that my nostrils became inflamed on Saturday morning and when I went to the dermatologist, he said it's an allergic reaction. Could it be an allergic reaction to the HIV virus which probably entered my body Friday night? I have read that such allergic reactions happen when exposed to virus. The inflammation went away on it's own by Wednesday, by when I had already started my PEP.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 03:21:01 pm »
Thanks Andy.. One last question before I see the doctor. I noticed that my nostrils became inflamed on Saturday morning and when I went to the dermatologist, he said it's an allergic reaction. Could it be an allergic reaction to the HIV virus which probably entered my body Friday night? I have read that such allergic reactions happen when exposed to virus. The inflammation went away on it's own by Wednesday, by when I had already started my PEP.

We do not discuss symptoms because they can be caused by many things.  Your doctor diagnosed the condition, so quit asking questions that have nothing to do with any risk.

Joe

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 02:23:26 pm »
Hi Andy & Joe,

I saw the infectious diseases specialist today and spoke about what happened. She said Viraday (Atripla) is an acceptable PEP and she would want me to continue taking it at 6:30 pm everyday for 28 days. She has asked for a battery of tests to be done. She wants a complete blood count, SGOT, SGPT, Total bilirubin, creatinine, Hepatitis A IgG, urine culture and Serology profile (for HIV virus) immediately. That is for her to know that I am HIV negative at the baseline, she says.

She also said she will treat me with doxy and monocef "assuming" I have gonorrhoea and chlamydia as the test results take too long. I have decided to go ahead with the treatment for those two as well. I took this decision because she said these two medicines will not interact with PEP's efficacy.

She also insisted that after 6 weeks from the last dose of PEP, she would like a PCR test. I told her that it may give false positives but she was quite adamant.

About the PEP, she said within 24 hours it is almost nearly always successful, between 24-48 hours the efficacy is questionable and that after 48 hours it is very doubtful and that it is the only option I have anyway right now. Not a very optimistic way of reassuring me. I wish I didn't go to her.

I don't mean to abuse this forum by posting all this but it really helps me when I read your replies. Whenever I am anxious I read your replies to me repeatedly and it has certainly helped me a lot.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:44:03 pm by trevor84 »

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 02:52:02 am »
Hi Andy, Jeff and others,

It's been four weeks from the date of exposure and I have two more doses of PEP left. I know symptoms are of no significance and I also know that you will not discuss them. I just feel like sharing out of anxiety (which I have tried to control, despite the fact the guy was HIV positive). During the third week, my skin became itchy and small reddish rash appeared on my torso, legs and neck (I gather HIV rash is not itchy and that reduced my anxiety).

Since Tuesday (14th October), I developed a sore throat/ulcer which has steadily got worse. I have no phlegm, fever, swollen lymph nodes or runny nose. The ulcer is on the left side of the throat right where you gulp. It's difficult to swallow or talk. I plan to see a doctor after I finish my PEP Monday.

Is it possible to seroconvert and have only throat ulcer as a symptom of ARS? A doctor that I know told me it is indeed quite possible. Also He told me that intense fingering would have caused lacerations and abrasions, which increase the chances of HIV infection even with precum from dipping. And Jeff, I can confirm that I was penetrated at least once. That doctor also told me beyond 36 hours PEP is largely ineffective and that I can seroconvert and have ARS during PEP if it failed. And that if it failed, antibody tests will already show that I am positive. He practices in South Africa.

I know testing at 6 weeks post PEP is the only way to find out. I have browsed and sought information online everywhere but I got no convincing replies like I receive here. I request you to not be annoyed with me and I need you to know that I appreciate your time and effort for counselling people. I would be grateful if you let me know your views.

Hoping for a response
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:58:28 am by trevor84 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 08:32:04 am »
PEP is highly effective so whatever is gong on has nothing to do with HIV ... the best we can do is say if you are sick go see your doctor and test at the appropriate time . There really is not much more to add .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 08:37:06 am »
Thanks Jeff, for your response. Even at the 66th hour you consider it effective? I have taken all my tablets exactly at 6:30 except for one day, when I took two doses. One in the morning at around 9 and again at 9pm at night. Other than that I have followed the regimen strictly. Thanks really.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2014, 08:39:55 am »
You are going to be just fine .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:55 am »
Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to inform you that I saw a general physician for my sore throat. He has prescribed azithromycin (without doing necessary tests, as that is the norm here in India, to prescribe antibiotics unnecessarily), paracetamol and an anti-allergy medicin. But he suspects it's viral pharyngitis. Oh well.

I narrated the whole story to him and he said it was quite possible to have ARS symptoms while on PEP. That's all. If you wish you may tell me what your own personal opinion is about ARS symptoms showing up during PEP as I have read contradictory opinions not only on the Internet but also here (I know research may be contradictory itself). It's the 8th day of my sore throat an it's actually become worse.

Also can just a bad pharyngitis without any other symptoms like fever, rash, swollen lymph nodes etc be ARS? Again, you do not have to answer if you don't want to. I just felt like sharing, so I came here.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:15:34 am by trevor84 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 11:17:20 am »
You are going to be OK Trevor . You know we do not discuss symptoms but we have advised that PEP is effective and I have never seen it fail ... so keep the faith .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19:46 am »
Thanks Jeff. You do what angels supposedly do.

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 05:21:30 am »
Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to let you know that the sore throat which began on the 14th of October lasted for more than 3 weeks. On 22nd I was prescribed azithromycin for 5 days and it got worse. on the 28th/29th I saw an ENT and he prescribed another antibiotic, Cefdinir. It got better by 4th of November. During those 3 weeks, I could barely swallow or speak. Could this isolated tonsillopharyngitis/sore throat be ARS? I still have 3 weeks for my 6 week post-PEP test. Just waiting. Hoping against hope.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 08:50:03 am »
You know we can not discuss your medical symptoms, that is between you and your doctor . I have never seen PEP fail so chill out, you are going to be fine .

Also, I removed the other threads you began on the same subject . Please only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter . You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 06:00:53 pm »
Hi Jeff and others.. I just wanted to let you know that I tested negative on rapid test and ELISA 4th generation test on the 30th of January, 2015. This was about 3 months and 1 week post PEP.

8 days ago, in a drunken state, I ventured into a cruising place, and I let a few guys feel me up. I felt someone poke up my ass with his dick and I got scared and stared the PEP again, at the 26th hour. I know this is more of a behavioural problem than anything else. To add to this, my boyfriend revealed he has been sleeping around and we never had a sexual relationship in the last one year. I let him perform oral sex on me without ejaculation and I sucked him for a few seconds yesterday, to save our relationship, sort of. I asked him to test out of concern, because he admitted he was barebacking. Today, in the CLIA test, it came out as indeterminate and in the rapid test as reactive. He has given his blood samples to test again, on another CLIA. Without judging me, I need your answers on the following questions:

1. Is my boyfriend positive, if he is indeterminate on CLIA and reactive on rapid test? He will do the Western Blot on Monday, I guess. Is there any hope left?
2. Now that I am on the 9th day of PEP, should I take 8 more days of PEP after 28 days because I let him perform oral sex on me and I performed on him? I know I am complicating things, and right now as much as I am concerned about my boyfriend, I am also concerned about remaining negative.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 06:56:38 pm »
1. Is my boyfriend positive, if he is indeterminate on CLIA and reactive on rapid test? He will do the Western Blot on Monday, I guess. Is there any hope left?

I have no idea what risks your boyfriend may have been exposed to, so your best bet is to wait and see the results of the Western Blot.

2. Now that I am on the 9th day of PEP, should I take 8 more days of PEP after 28 days because I let him perform oral sex on me and I performed on him? I know I am complicating things, and right now as much as I am concerned about my boyfriend, I am also concerned about remaining negative.

You mentioned that you were penetrated at the club and that represents a risk.  Your best bet would to be complete the PEP and test at the appropriate time.

Joe

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 07:10:15 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I was not penetrated but I suspect the penis of the unknown person may have hit my anal opening without entering. This wasn't a risk I know but I really can't tell what fluid got smeared on my penis and anus. So I started the PEP rather in a hypochondriacal way, which is why I mentioned it's more of a behavioural issue. My question is, should I take 28 doses of PEP from yesterday (after having taken 8 doses already for the cruising encounter) because of the oral sex with my boyfriend, assuming he is positive? I think we also docked for a brief moment.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 07:14:44 pm »
Frottage or rubbing of the penis against your anus without penetracion is NOT a risk. And receiving oral is not a risk.

Your saliva very effectively prevents transmission of viable HIV.

I don't think you needed to take PEP in the first. Stop making things more complicated than they need to. It's up to you about stopping PEP, but the appropriate thing would be to let your doctor know. I think you began PEP out of panic rather than it being an indicated choice.
Andy Velez

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 01:58:26 am »
If I have only had oral sex and haven't engaged in other forms of sex, my negative result three months post-PEP is unlikely to change? We used to kiss each other and hug often but I guess that's not a risk. Is there a minute chance I could have contracted HIV in these manners or if I would be one of those cases of late seroconversion due to PEP (the September-October PEP)?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 09:16:48 am »
Trevor, it's a rule of the site for members to write only in one thread. Your postings are all together here now. Please use only this thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Now for your latest question...

That's right, if you only had oral sex your negative result 3 months post-PEP is extremely unlikely to be other than negative. Whatever the specific details, kissing and hugging are not risks. Period.

Stop making things more complicated than is necessary.
Andy Velez

Offline trevor84

• Standard
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 04:53:31 pm »
Andy,

I am aware of the rules. A couple of times when I tried to respond to my posts, they either failed to publish or got published as a seperate thread. I did not mean to start new posts. I am guessing it is a technical error.

I just wanted to ask you about false positive results resulting from rabies vaccinations.
I read many articles about causes of false positives on HIV antibody tests. My boyfriend who just tested positive for HIV on four different antibody tests (CLIA and Rapid) had received four rounds of rabies vaccination last month, with the last injection being on the 20th of March. We are waiting for his Western Blot and viral load test results. The former will be out this Saturday and the latter, after ten days. Is there a reason to have a hope that this was a case of cross reactivity?

Meanwhile, I am continuing with my PEP. I have a persistent sore throat since four months and blowing him while I had a sore throat could have infected me?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:23 pm »
I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions.  It helps us, to help you, when you keep everything in one thread.  It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

We have no knowledge regarding your boyfriend and his status.  You would need to consult with his doctor.

Giving oral with a sore throat does not create a risk.  Finish your PEP and test.  We can't do anything more for you.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.