Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:09:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 593
Total: 593

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Huge increase in CD4 count but % same ( DAD has both CLL and HIV )  (Read 4340 times)

Offline besti32

My dad was diagnosed with CLL (Chronic lymphocytic leukemia ) last year in may 2011.
He had chemo last year even though he didn't have a very high white blood count( typical in CLL) nor very large lymph nodes. The only problem was weight loss and doctors pushed for chemo.
Now I think it was a bad idea as the weight loss could have been because of HIV.

This year in march he was diagnosed with HIV during the treatment for bacterial infection.
He started Viraday in april 2012.His viral load was 2,83,000 at diagnosis.

APRIL 2012                  JULY 2012

ABS Lymphocyte Count       1074                        4381           ( 1000-4800)
Absolute CD3                     957                          3031          (600-2500)
CD3 %                             89%                          69%           (60-85%)
Absolute CD4                     193                          751            (400-1500)
CD4 %                              18%                         17%            (30-50%)

The latest cd4 count was done when my dad was still recovering from shingles.
It didn't take long , shingles lasted for only 7-8 days.

My question is how can the CD4 count increase so much in just 3 months.?
and the percentage is still almost the same.??
Visually it seems the health of my dad is improving. He has gained almost 10 pounds since the bacterial infection in march 2012

what are CD3 cells? and what does it mean to have a high CD3 count ?
any info would be appreciated..
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:55:51 am by besti32 »

Offline eric48

• Standard
Re: Huge increase in CD4 count but % same ( DAD has both CLL and HIV )
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:04:36 pm »
Hi,

If my recollection is correct C3 cells includes sub group CD4 and CD8 as well as some other sub groups

http://www.ebioscience.com/resources/human-cd-chart.htm

the CD4 cells are not counted individually, what they do is count the total lymphocytes and assess the CD4%. by multiplying total lymphocytes by CD4 % they calculate the count

in your data

TL = 1074  then x 0.18 leads to  193
TL = 4381  then x 0.17 leads to  745 (matching your 751)

So the CD4 increase that you see results solely from the total lymphocyte count

Above 500 CD4, it is usually considered that it is the % that is a better indicator of recovery. At least , even is recovery is not perfect, yet, he has well enough CD4 to mount a counter attack against infection that require the help of CD4s

Numbers are just a snapshot. Later down the road, it the diversity and efficiency of those cells that count.

At least, things seems to go in the right direction

Hope this helps

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline besti32

Re: Huge increase in CD4 count but % same ( DAD has both CLL and HIV )
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:21:44 pm »
Ok I got the part where you said how the CD4 count is calculated.

but what do you mean by " So the CD4 increase that you see results solely from the total lymphocyte count " ?

Has there been any good progress or not in the past 3 months?

I am sorry I don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.