Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:38:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 631
Total: 631

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just started Atripla  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Fisgig

Just started Atripla
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:51:05 pm »
I had wanted to get to a one a day for the longest time. I have a hard time taking meds. I hate popping so many pills and hate having to go to the bathroom every five minutes. I also would always feel nauseated and stomach upset from taking my meds. Coupled with having really bad gag reflux, my treatment adherence was not where it should have been. So, the goal was to get on the one a day. I have much less aversion to taking one pill then 4 or more. I was told the one a day doesn't cause the same problems with diarrhea and nausea. So, I took my first last night. So far, easy to take. Easy to swallow. No diarrhea or nausea yet. However, what was not fully explained was the extreme drunk feeling I had when I got up this morning. I couldn't stand. I was suppose to get up and pick up my partner from work (he works nights) but couldn't. He ended up walking the 5 miles home. I am now kind of scarred that I can't depend on the ability to get up. Whats worse is is that it never fully went away. I still feel a bit light headed. Though, at least now I can stand. But, in a few hours I will take pill number 2.

What is the most common experience with that? Please tell me I will be able to get up after 8 hours sleep tomorrow..??... I never drink or do drugs and so I hate feeling intoxicated. Yet, that seems to be the only side effect I am getting. And I don't like it. I have so many things planned this week. Going for a drive on Sat. Friday I have a lot of errands to run. Am I going to be able to make it? I am looking for the most common experiences here. I usually can handle things pretty well. So, I probably would fit in "common side effects" and thus would be looking for the most common experiences.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: Just started Atripla
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:59:44 pm »
Hey Fisgig:
After you get used to it - within a couple weeks - the side effects (dizziness, wooziness, grogginess) fade and/or go away.  I usually take mine about 6-8 hours before I have to get up.  I have some tiredness in the morning - but I am not really a morning person - so that may have something to do with it.  Make sure you aren't eating anything within two hours of taking it - that will decrease some of the effects.  I eat right after I take it - but I have been on it for about 9 months now.

You may also want to move the time up a little bit that you are taking it and give yourself some extra time between taking it and waking up.  I can actually take mine and still stay awake with no problems. 

In fact, I like my Coronas - and can pretty much take mine and still drink shortly after.

Saying all that to say - that hang in there - the side effects should subside soon.

Keep us informed. Best to you.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline peteb

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:34:06 am »
It gets easier gained weight dont have the drunk feeling anymore
goodluck
Pete

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:22:30 am »
It's recommended that it be taken on an empty stomach because having food in your system makes those symptoms worse. Did you take it on an empty stomach?

Offline Fisgig

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 06:11:45 pm »
It's recommended that it be taken on an empty stomach because having food in your system makes those symptoms worse. Did you take it on an empty stomach?

The first night I did eat a sandwich an hour and a half before I took it. Last night I made sure to eat something before 10pm and took it the pill at 12:30am. I hated doing it that way. I am so use to having a late night snack. I am uncertain if that made any difference. I slept in a little later this time around and woke up still feeling light headed. But, was able to stand and even was able to go pick up my partner from work, albeit an hour and a half later then I normally pick him up.

I am still more worried about whether or not I am going to be able to manage to run errands this Friday. I have shopping to do, I have to take my car in to have a minor issue repaired, and I have to make a trip to the HIV commodities center. Then, on Saturday, my partner and I had been planning to drive to the mountains. Which we have been planning to do for the past month. I'm just hoping I'll be able to do all these things without feeling like I had one to many cocktails. So far, yesterday and today the worst of it wore off about 8 to 9 hours after taking the pill. But, a residual feeling of lightheadedness remains throughout the day.

One thing I have realized is that choosing to take this medication is a lot bigger of a choice then I realized. I use to eat when I want. I use to stay up real late to do laundry because our apartment complex has a laundry room that is heavily used during the day and the only time I could get a free machine is at 2 in the morning. With this pill, no more late night laundry trips. Now I have to go to bed at about the same time every morning and can't get up any earlier then 8 hours after taking this pill. At least, so far.

Tonight will be day 3 on the pill. I'll give more updates down the road and let everyone know how it's going.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 06:50:24 pm »

One thing I have realized is that choosing to take this medication is a lot bigger of a choice then I realized. I use to eat when I want. I use to stay up real late to do laundry because our apartment complex has a laundry room that is heavily used during the day and the only time I could get a free machine is at 2 in the morning. With this pill, no more late night laundry trips. Now I have to go to bed at about the same time every morning and can't get up any earlier then 8 hours after taking this pill. At least, so far.

This is why I chose to start with Isentress/Truvada. I have zero side effects and can eat or not eat, sleep or not sleep and it doesn't make a difference. Isentress is twice a day but worth it. It's likely to be approved for once a day and some people do take it that way.

If you decide to switch you should just make the switch without stopping treatment since an interruption can maybe lead to NNRTI resistance.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »
Hey Fisgig

Hopefully the issues you are having will clear up soon.  They usually do.  I pretty much do everything the same way I did prior to starting Atripla - here's hoping that your routine can also get back to what you are used to....

-Phil
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Fisgig

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:03:24 am »
Hey Fisgig

Hopefully the issues you are having will clear up soon.  They usually do.  I pretty much do everything the same way I did prior to starting Atripla - here's hoping that your routine can also get back to what you are used to....

-Phil

Well, I made it through the week. I managed to get my errands done on Friday and even managed to take that drive to the mountains we had planned on doing. I'm still feeling lightheaded throughout each day though and still can't get up any earlier then 8 hours after I take the pill. I've tried nearly every day since starting Atripla to get up around 6 or 7 after having gone to bed around midnight or 1am. The funny thing is, I can wake up without any problem. It's when I sit up and try to get out of bed that still is an issue- at least without having given myself that minimum 8 hours of sleep. But, I am managing and have noticed a slight decrease in overall side effects (at least these side effects).

One thing I have noticed that seems to be a new side effect is something I can only describe as a rash forming on my forehead. It's barely visible, if at all. It seems most noticeable in the morning prior to getting a shower. What looks like small acne bumps appear in various places on my forehead. They itch and are bothersome. They have become more prevalent over that past few days. They do go away (for the most part) after I shower. But return every morning- a little more each day. You wouldn't know it to see me that I have this issue because, as I mentioned, they aren't really noticeable. But, boy do they itch in the morning. Is that also normal? If so, does this side effect go away over time or does it just get worse over time? I see my doc this Friday and I plan to bring it up with him. But, I thought I would run that by you (and anyone else out there that can give me some insight).  Thanks.....

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:38:16 am »

One thing I have noticed that seems to be a new side effect is something I can only describe as a rash forming on my forehead. It's barely visible, if at all. It seems most noticeable in the morning prior to getting a shower. What looks like small acne bumps appear in various places on my forehead. They itch and are bothersome. They have become more prevalent over that past few days. They do go away (for the most part) after I shower. But return every morning- a little more each day. You wouldn't know it to see me that I have this issue because, as I mentioned, they aren't really noticeable. But, boy do they itch in the morning. Is that also normal? If so, does this side effect go away over time or does it just get worse over time? I see my doc this Friday and I plan to bring it up with him. But, I thought I would run that by you (and anyone else out there that can give me some insight).  Thanks.....

It is not unusual during what is called "immune reconstitution" for the body to undergo weird little things like this for a few months, but they will settle down.  Keeping in mind that your body's skin is basically it's larget component and is very exposed, it's easy to have skin issues with an immune disorder.  While I'm obviously not a doctor, you may be experiencing the very common HIV issue called seborrheic dermatitis.  If it continues to annoy you bring this up with your doctor and you can get some topical prescription creams to get it under control.

You can read more about this here: http://dermatology.about.com/cs/seborrhea/a/seb_aids.htm
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Fisgig

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 05:25:39 pm »
I just wanted to give an update. It's been about two weeks since I started Atripla. I am finding it easier and easier to get up in the morning. I saw my doctor on Friday and he was impressed with my numbers. Though, he was still waiting for my viral load to come in, he said my t-cells were improved and all other tests (liver, kidney, blood sugar, etc.) were at the best levels he had seen them in the two years since I started seeing him- all of them exactly where they are suppose to be from what he said. He sounded very proud of me and I am proud of myself that for the first time in years, I have been 100% adherent. I was diagnosed in 2004 and had started having adherence issues by 2008. I guess i got sick of taking the same 4 pills every day with all the side effects they caused. My old regime was Norivir, Epzicom, and Lexiva. They use to tear my stomach up and gave me horrible nausea and "bathrooms"- my polite way of saying I was in the bathroom 5 or more times a day..... Anyways, I got tired of it and started having adherence issues. This one a day is so much more simpler. I won't lie. The side effects are annoying me. But not nearly as much as the old regiment side effects were.

So, I'll give another update when I pass the one month mark. Thanks....

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:12:12 pm »
Congrats on the good Labs . I hope you keep on track with your adherence issue's , Atripla is not so bad compaired to the old regamine I know .

I too once had adherence issue's due to the bathrooms so I know the relief you are feeling with a more user friendly cocktail . Atripla was a life saver for me .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:32 pm »
Its quite common to feel drunk and dizzy. As time goes by, the drunkeness will wear off. Eventually u will be able to take the pill on an empty or full stomach without feeling any dizzyness. I started in June 2010 and the dizzyness lasted for two weeks with the first few dys being 10/10, the worse. Today, i take the pill with or without food. Just dont take it with alcohol in your system.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 10:45:42 pm »
IToday, i take the pill with or without food. Just dont take it with alcohol in your system.
I've actually been able to take it with alcohol (beer) in my system - hasn't phased me at all... everyone's reaction tends to be slightly different.... I don't know if I would do it with liquor.
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Fisgig

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 01:23:16 am »
Well, as promised, I am giving an update...

It's been a month since I first started taking Atripla. I still get dizzy within a half hour to an hour after taking it. Last night I stayed up two hours after having taken it and got up to have a smoke and felt like I was drunk. The floor seemed to be spinning.. lol.. But, overall, I am getting use to this and am able to get up earlier then I was able to when I first started. By the time I have been awake for an hour in the morning, I feel totally normal. Kind of like a morning hang over that fades away on it's own.

I missed one dose in a month. I didn't mean to. I passed out a few night ago before I was able to take it. But, for me, missing one dose in a month is the first time I managed to be that adherent in a couple of years on previous cocktails.

Hope everyone has a great weekend...

-Cheers...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.