Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:17:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 204
Total: 205

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CD4 count - 9. What should I do?  (Read 27028 times)

Offline Flip_boy83

CD4 count - 9. What should I do?
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:25:01 am »
Hi guys, I just had my first CD4 result come out last week and my count is only 9. I feel relatively fine though, although I haven't started on my ARVs yet, the doctor has prescribed me meds for my TB. ARVs start in 2 weeks, they said. Should I be worried? Any advice cos i can't seem to sleep very well thinking about stuff.

Thanks.

Offline buginme2

Re: CD4 count - 9. What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:33:27 am »
Hi welcome.

A cd4 count of 9 is obviously very low.  I think the most important thing to do is follow your doctors instructions, make sure u make all your doctor appointments, keep up on your labs and make sure you take your medication as your doctor prescribes it.  Good luck and welcome again.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:35:13 am »
Thanks buginme2. Will definitely do.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:29:52 am »
Welcome to the forums Flip_boy.

With your CD4 count, the doctors should also be putting you on prophylaxis medication to ensure that you don't pick up any other opportunistic infection as you are particularly susceptible right now. Have they discussed this with you? 

You should be fine once you begin ARVs and your CD4s rise.

Good luck and hang in there.  :)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:39:34 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome, spacebarsux. Yes, I'm also taking a couple of prophylactics. ok, I'm feeling more secure now...

Thanks again! My next posting should be better news. :)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:14:06 am »
Welcome to the forums flipboy

It's good you are on some prophylaxis.  Does that include an antibiotic to ward off pneumonia?  Usually those are called Bactrim or Dapsone ... 

With a tcell count that low it is important to take care of yourself.  When your immune system is quite weak you can get sick without even realzing it, so now is the time to do all those healthy things you know you should do anyway, but maybe have skimped on a little...

These include hygiene and handwashing, wearing gloves to change the pet litter (or even better getting a friend to do it for a while), avoiding potential sources of infection, washing food, etc.  And moderate exercise, good nutrition and lots of sleep.  Do what you can not to stress out, whether that is yoga, pills or therapy.  And don't be afraid to ask your doctor for help.

After you've been on the medications for a while your immune system should get stronger and you can go back to your old habits.  The ARV's are pretty amazing; I started with a tcell count of 22 myself,  and after just a a few months or so I was feeling pretty good -- my history is in my sig line at the bottom of the post.  But for now, while your immune system is still really low, take special care of yourself to avoid possible sources of illness.

Assurbanipal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline bufguy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »
Although your CD4 is very low, the ARV's are amazing and you'll build your immune system quickly. Stay healthy, eat right, get plenty of rest, stay stress free and stay clear of people who may be ill.
Good Luck and in a few months time yo'll be sharing stories of your recovery!
5/29/08 confirmed HIV+
6/23/08 Vl 47500  CD4 511/29% CD8 .60
start atripla
8/1/08 Vl 130  CD4 667/31% CD8 .70
9/18/08 Vl un  CD4 not tested
12/19/08 Vl un CD4 723/32% CD8 .80
4/3/09 Vl un CD4 615/36% CD8  .98
8/7/09 vl un CD4 689/35% CD8 .9
12/11/09 vl un CD4 712/38% CD8 .89
4/9/10 vl un CD4 796/39% CD8 1.0
8/20/10 vl un CD4 787/38% CD8 1.0
4/6/10 vl un CD4 865/35% CD8 .9
8/16/10 vl un CD4 924/37% CD8 1.0
12/23/10 vl un CD4 1006/35% CD8 .9
5/2/10 vl un CD4 1040/39% CD8 .9
8/7/13 vl un CD4 840/39% CD8 .
11/29/18 vl un CD4 1080/39% CD8  .86

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 06:23:14 pm »
Not worried, but very careful in the first few weeks eg if you get  rash, fever etc.

Goog luck

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 06:40:42 pm »
Looks like everyone has covered the Med bit so this is a Welcome to the forums. Glad you are linked in with the medics and look forward to see you post your growing numbers when you start meds.
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 08:13:36 pm »
Welcome Flip.....

Like you, I also had a low t-cell count when I started on meds.  In October of 2003 My t-cell count was 16. This was also 18 years after I was infected with HIV.  I didn't have TB though, so I can't comment on that.  But I agree , once you start on HAART,  Things should improve quickly.  Sometimes ( for me) , I didn't think it was quick enough, but things take time.  My t-cells are now at 472. Percentage is still kind of low @ 15 %, but much better than <5%, back in 2003.

I agree with much of what Assurbanipal has mentioned to you.

I was also on a few antibiotics back then.  I was on Septra, which was later changed to Dapsone. Was also on Zithromax 600mg tabs.  Some of the other meds I was on briefly was Prednisone (20mg tabs), Diflucan ( 100mg tabs)
Also on Cipro for a few weeks ( 750 mg tabs), and Valtrex 1gm tablets.  I was on quite a few meds back then, hopefully you won't have to go on all of those meds, that I listed.

I agree with others eat well, get plenty of rest, and get a notepad to start writing down any and all questions, that you may have for your doctor. Believe me, It's too easy to forget questions, once your in the Doctors office.

I would be questioning the doctor as to what regimen, you  would be going on.  So start thinking about that.

Whatever medications you are on, make sure to take them as directed, and to not miss any doses. Drink plenty of water with your meds.

Hang in there, it may be a rough road, but things will better. When I started on ARV's , I couldn't believe how fast my energy levels came back up, and I had very few side effects from the meds. I stilll continued to work full time through this critical period, back in 2003.  I often wondered how I did it, but I did.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:30:52 pm »
Thanks guys! I'm taking note of everything you've mentioned. It's reassuring to hear all these from you. Really, I can't express my gratitude enough. I'm glad I posted here.

^_^

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 01:56:48 am »
Flip_boy, I dunno if this is a standard recommendation or anything, but if I were you- just for now (until your CD4 climbs up), I would also try and avoid crowded places, packed public transport and such where one can easily pick up a cold or any infection.

Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 02:52:27 am »
Howdy Flip_boy, welcome to the forums.

People have covered the med stuff pretty well, so I will tackle a few lifestyle things.

Having been around when people didn't have treatments and had to try to survive with low CD4s, I would like to offer just a few suggestions.

As was already mentioned, if you have a cat, don't change the cat box yourself. If you have no choice but to change it yourself, wear a mask and gloves. Cats are prone to carry a disease called toxoplasmosis, especially if they go outdoors. Mind you, I love cats and had one for 17 years, but I also wore gloves and a mask when my counts were less than 500.

Aside from that, one of the easiest ways to contract something you don't want is to ingest it. Eating tainted food, even though it may not look, smell or taste bad, can cause problems.

Here are a few ways to try to avoid these problems.

Avoid undercooked animal products. All meats, poultry and seafood should be thoroughly cooked.  This includes sushi. I would avoid rare or medium rare beef or lamb.

Avoid any cooked product that may be been displayed on ice on which raw foods also were placed, such as cooked shrimp that is resting on ice that raw fish also rests upon. This is more of a shopping tip rather than an eating tip.

Regarding shopping, read those sell-by dates.

Also, when it comes to dairy, use only pasteurized dairy products. Avoid raw milk or things made from it. This includes some brands of yogurt and some types of cheese, especially very sharp cheddars, which tend to be made from raw milk. Read the label, if it says it was made from pasteurized milk, you're OK. If not, choose something else.

While we are visiting the dairy case, another thing that should be well cooked are eggs. No sunny side or over easy. They should be hard cooked or scrambled and fully cooked. No runny yolks. When the holidays come around, enjoy your egg nog, as most commercial brands are made from pasteurized products. But if it is homemade egg nog, question the ingredients and if in doubt, pass it up.

Soft cheeses can also be risky, especially those like brie, camembert or roquefort. Problems can occur from bacteria and molds found in these cheeses that don't bother people with intact immune systems, but that could harm those with compromised immune systems,

Be wary of luncheon meats such as bologna, etc. A dear friend of mine, and of many here, named Moffie used to nuke his bologna or salami, or whatever it was, until it was hot. He swore by it.

All fruits and vegetables must be washed before eating. This goes for everything, even if you plan to peel it, because surface bacteria, etc., can be spread throughout the fruit or veggie during the peeling process. I even rinse my melons (no wise cracks  ;) ).

When it comes to your kitchen, cleanliness is very important. A weak bleach solution works fine, but you can get the sanitizing wipes (Clorox, Handiwipes, etc.) that come in handy pop-up containers and avoid the muss and fuss of mixing.

Wipe down everything - tables, countertops, etc. I also recommend having two cutting boards, one for vegetables and fruit, the other for meats, poultry or fish. Some friends of mine have one for each separate item, but they have more storage room than I do.

The dishwasher is your friend. Anything that can be washed in a dishwasher will be sterilized, which makes dishwasher safe cutting boards a nice touch.

Regarding your refrigerator, exercise caution with leftovers. Leftovers should be eaten within a day or two. Also, the rule of thumb is, when it doubt, throw it out.

These are just some suggestions. Basically, they are common sense, but more detailed than most people involve themselves with.

Above all, don't panic. We're here for you and it sounds like you have a good medical team working with you as well.

Take care.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:54:43 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 05:00:04 am »
Thanks Mark!! That was quite handful and i really appreciate you taking the time to type them all out. THANKS!

Btw, are there any specific kinds of food that help in boosting the immune system? I mean, I don't see a lot of things written about it. :)

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 05:01:48 am »
Flip_boy, I dunno if this is a standard recommendation or anything, but if I were you- just for now (until your CD4 climbs up), I would also try and avoid crowded places, packed public transport and such where one can easily pick up a cold or any infection.

Will do spacebarsux :)

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 05:03:10 am »

Btw, are there any specific kinds of food that help in boosting the immune system? I mean, I don't see a lot of things written about it. :)

Not really.

Although eating a generally healthy well-balanced diet is good for everyone- poz or not. I think some say that protein rich foods are also good for you.

Have look at this thread-   http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=37963.0
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:02:05 am by spacebarsux »

Offline elf

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 10:11:59 am »
Thanks Mark!! That was quite handful and i really appreciate you taking the time to type them all out. THANKS!

Buy selenium and zinc supplements. :)
If you don't want to take them as tablets, but some Brazil nuts (rich in selenium):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_nut
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:18:04 am by elf »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 01:42:34 pm »
Just another post of support.  My starting CD4 was 15 and now 2 years later I'm doing fine.  Hope you can see the sun shining through all the dark clouds.

Offline Rayray

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 03:01:50 pm »
        Showing support,I too had a very low cd4 count it was 7 and was hit with pneumonia was in hospital for three weeks,started on atripila and after a week had to stop as I was allergic was on a mess of meds which are listed in my signature section at the bottom it was almost two full years before I got cd4 up over 200 but now after 4 years I'm at 749 with truvada,norvir,and reyataz,and many antibiotics,there was lots of times I felt like whats the point,But somehow I kept doing everything the doctor told me to do and reading these forums and chatting with the people here thru emails and I'm great now.Infact I live healthier now then before I tested Poz. Always know you have support here and that when you do as the doctor says you will get better if You have a good ID then you will do great,also what the doctor says isn't allways set in stone,My doctor has been surprised many times with my progress everytime I go in to the office the staff calls me there success story? I was tested three different times b/c they kept thinking I had TB and after CD4 went up and was tested again they said it wasn't always make them test more then once before taking meds.They also had a concern with me that every other blood test they say they want to do a biopsy on a swollen lympnode have two ugly scars now and results are always neg after four test so always do your own research there are places online like here and books you can read on conditions and new treatments. Never give up tomorrow could be the day they come up with a new med that will change the rest of all of our lives.be safe and be well. And if you ever need a friend email me I'm always around.
Tested feb 2007 neg
Seroconvert 07/2007
Diagnosed w/ Aids-PCP-Mac-Thrush-PN
09/07 CD4 71 Put on zidovudrine, Efarivnz, prednisone,bactrim ds,Z pak,Diflucan,Mepron
10/07 CD4 9 160,000,000  Stopped all pre meds for observations found current ID. started on Atripila for two weeks end due to sustiva allergy
11/07 CD4 4 VL-1600,000start Norvir-Truvada-Reytaz
12/07 CD4 83 VL-1600,000
02/08 CD4 488 VL- 4100
05/08 CD4 514 VL- 4200
07/08 CD4 434 VL- <400
10/08 Cd4 531 VL-Undetectable
10/16/2008 cd4 393 VL-undetectable
01/29/2009 cd4 419 VL-undetectable
04/28/2009 cd4 385 VL-undetectable
08/06/2009 cd4 358 VL-undetectable
12/14/2010 cd4 741 VL-undetectable

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »
Thanks for the support and encouragement, guys! Reading all your suggestions and stories has made me much more at ease. I may not be that expressive with my words yet but I really really appreciate all of it. HUGS.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 09:52:18 pm »
You've gotten really solid advice in here, flip.  Hang in there.  And of course, as any other issues come to mind or you just need to feel some folks in your corner, we're here.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline tonkatuff

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 01:25:54 pm »
You've got lots to look forward to. When I was diagnosed HIV + I was admitted to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore for chronic coughing.
After a week of tests I was finally diagnosed with KS of the lungs. My CD4 count was 6 and viral load 1,000,000. They immediately started ARVs, and two weeks later chemo.
I survived the chemo, beat the cancer and now have an undetectable viral load with a CD4 count of 265 and climbing.
My treatment only consists of Truvada, Norvir, Reyataz & bactrum (antibiotic).

Stay healthy. Stay away from drugs, only drink socially and follow your doctors orders and you'll see amazing results!

Offline itsimple

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 04:15:46 pm »
You should also keep your eye out for rebound effect. That is when your immune system bounces back but you may feel worse than when your counts were low. If you begin to experience rebound effect, consult with your doctor. Also, TB is a nasty bug. Don't forget to take your meds for the entire duration recommended. Have a discussion with your doctor as to what to do if you miss a dose. Is it all right to take it as soon as you realise or should you what till the next scheduled dose? These are questions that should be asked in the beginning, when you start taking the meds. Be prepared for every contingency.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »
You should also keep your eye out for rebound effect. That is when your immune system bounces back but you may feel worse than when your counts were low.

Good Point!!  Flip you may want to ask/talk to your doctor about" IRIS ".   It's good to know about this.

Here's a couple of links with some info on that :

http://aids.about.com/od/otherconditions/a/immunerecon.htm

http://www.thebody.com/content/art46098.html

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 05:03:39 am »
ok..i've been jotting down notes for my next doctor's appointment! :)

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 05:14:57 am »
Hello, would any of you know if there are any private clinics or doctors in the Philippines (Metro Manila) who specialize in HIV cases. My family is thinking of consulting one...just for a second opinion...i suppose they are still incredulous of the idea that I have very low cd4 count after just being diagnosed 2 months ago.

It's been a while since this thread has been active but hope someone can help? :) Thanks!!

Offline spacebarsux

Offline Since2005

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 06:19:38 am »
Hi Flip,

As you know, HIV reacts differently with each individuals. You may have been diagnosed 2 months ago but you must have been infected long before that. Unfortunately, some people don't find out till the last moment.
I wish you good luck with your doc appointment and hope you stay healthy and sending some positive energy on your way!
Hope you cope with your situation well.

*Edited to answer one of of OP's question prior to this post
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:43:54 am by Since2005 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 07:33:02 am »
Flip, just because you've only been diagnosed for two months does not mean you have not been poz for several years. When was the last time you had a negative hiv antibody test result?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:26 am »
I tested negative October 2010, and I had one back in 2009 (also negative)..had 3 cases of unprotected sex between Feb & March 2010. My first intercourse in 2008.

The doctor said it's probable that my immune system was low from the start.

Offline Flip_boy83

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 11:02:07 pm »
Hi guys! I just started on my ARVs last week and so far I'v feeling the side effects. They are quite a handful, my head feels heavy during the day and I can't sleep properly at night. I hope these side effect go away soon. I'm taking duovir (lamivudine, zidovuidine) 2x a day and efavirenz at night.

any tips on how to lessen the effects? :)

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 05:34:35 am »
Hey Flipboy, I'm not yet on meds,  but I've heard that the initial period can be a bit rough for some people but after a while the side effects should subside greatly as your body adjusts.

Best.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 08:06:26 am »
Flip

There's another part of this site that has lessons on various topics of interest.  One of the lessons is on dealing with the side effects of efavirenz (also known as sustiva) https://www.poz.com/drug/sustiva

Sustiva is pretty well known for side effects.  It is also a component in Atripla -- if you go to the side effects and treatment forum you'll see a lot of threads on Atripla there.

Hope things get better for you shortly.

A

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:51:28 am by iana5252 »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline worried100

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 01:39:28 pm »
Hi guys! I just started on my ARVs last week and so far I'v feeling the side effects. They are quite a handful, my head feels heavy during the day and I can't sleep properly at night. I hope these side effect go away soon. I'm taking duovir (lamivudine, zidovuidine) 2x a day and efavirenz at night.

any tips on how to lessen the effects? :)

MY husband is on that regimin and for the first three/four weeks he felt quite rough! He says he is feeling great now(except for the odd morning when he feels groggy.

He said what helped him was making sure he had enough to eat before he took his tablet and he kept himself well hydrated.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.