Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:01:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 602
Total: 603

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Odd situation? Risk?  (Read 5538 times)

Offline questions100

Odd situation? Risk?
« on: August 25, 2006, 03:39:27 am »
Ok.. From reading other posts and the welcome thread, I'm going to guess and say that people will probably tell me to go pound sand, but here's the deal.

I had protected sex with someone of unknown status. No risk, I realize this. Here's my (perhaps obsessive) issue.

I received oral sex, which then progressed to protected sex. When opening the condom, the foil wrapper nicked the top of my thumb. I saw no blood at first, it was like a paper cut. Sex progressed immediately (seconds) thereafter, and I have no doubt I may have touched vaginal fluids.

I have read stuff online that talks about the dangers of a "fresh" cut. Well, this was about as fresh as you can get.

Coincidentally, went to my annual checkup this week, 4 days post incident (I know that means nothing) and was negative on elisa. This was my only risk (sex with a stranger) in about six months.

So.. am I RIGHT here, from what I read (despite other crap on the internet):

1. Insertive oral - NO real risk; no need to worry and test further
2. Protected vaginal - NO risk, no need to worry and test further
3. Nick on finger seconds before sex - ?? No real risk? Equivalent to fingering maybe?? - No risk no need to worry either?

Should I just chill out and pat myself on the back for getting lucky after a long dry spell? :)

I'm hoping this is just anxiety. We all try and do the right things but I worry.. Specifically, not really about me.. but my own guilt here is that I take care of my sick brother (not HIV, unrelated issues).. he depends on me..  If something ever happened to me and I couldn't take care of him, I'd beat myself up over it endlessly.

Should I test again in 13, or is my annual negative at checkup here good enough?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Odd situation? Risk?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 05:19:19 am »
Quest,

1. Insertive oral - NO real risk; no need to worry and test further
correct
2. Protected vaginal - NO risk, no need to worry and test further
correct
3. Nick on finger seconds before sex - ?? No real risk? Equivalent to fingering maybe?? - No risk no need to worry either?
correct, no risk. A fresh deep cut you might have to worry about. A nick? No way.

Something else you said concerns me though: "This was my only risk (sex with a stranger) in about six months."

You need to know that people aren't risky (strangers), but unprotected intercourse is, whether the person is a stranger or not. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. It sounds as though you are already doing this. Well done - this is a habit to continue.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You didn't have a risk in what you've brought to us and you do not need further testing until it is once again time for your regular, routine sexual health screening.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline questions100

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 05:35:28 am »
Thanks Ann. I just wanted to clarify that, too -- what I meant is that this was my only thing near a risk, in that it was someone whom I didn't know the status of.

I have never had sex without a condom outside of a monogamous relationship where we both knew our status. (And that was only one person, years ago.)

I would never, ever, have unprotected intercourse when we didn't know both of our status.

I guess you can understand why, logically, the idea of a cut on a finger would scare most people -- because you hear about needle sticks transmitting HIV and the like.

This was just a nick - but it did hurt and was red when I got soap on it when washing my hands afterwards - so it was deep enough to get past the first layer of skin (like a paper cut or pinprick).   Don't white blood cells, etc, collect at the site of every cut that goes beyond the epidermis (dead skin cell layer) on your skin?

Granted, I didn't penetrate her with that finger.. maybe just rub the outside and put my thumb down there as I was gripping the base of the condom when withdrawing (as I always do)..

Great, now I sound like the droves of anxious folks on here.  Why does HIV cause so much anxiety? I don't think this way about HBV or syphillis or herpes, which I know are much more likely. Ok, thanks for the reply.. I'm not going to get stressed over this.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 06:29:53 am »
Why does HIV cause so much anxiety?

HIV has an enormous stigma attached to it. People with AIDS are often outcasts in our communities and I think it's that social opprobrium that people fear as much as the disease itself.

MtD

Offline questions100

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 05:04:12 pm »
Hi... Please don't beat me up here for showing up again, but after a month, anxiety has gotten a hold of me finally. I didn't think of things for a while, until the following things started happening this week:

-White spot in the back of my throat
-Dizzyness, diarrhea
-General fatigue
-Sore throat
-One-time cloudy urine (3 days ago - hasn't happened again)
-Low-grade fever (99.1F)

This, and the fact that I talked to my general practicioner about the incident, and he told me that "the idea that oral sex is low risk is patently false." (I say this because oral was my only real exposure I can quantify -- since one-time intercourse was with a condom that did not break. I'm TRYING to accept this too and keep the ideas of "seepage / microscopic holes" out of my mind.)  Regardles, this scared the hell out of me, coming from a doctor I have trusted for years.

This girl has also taken it upon herself to e-mail me almost every couple days, telling me about new crazy sexual exploits she's had (why she does this, I don't know.. I told her I don't want to hear it..) -- and man, does it seem like she does some crazy stuff..

All this has gotten me worried again. I'm tempted to go test here at 4 weeks (31 days), just to help ease my mind a bit -- but that'd be pretty worthless, right?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 08:29:55 pm »
Since you didn't have a risk, you could say it is worthless, unless you've had unprotected anal or vaginal sex in the past. Then it wouldn't be.

Offline KRBClapton

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 08:49:58 pm »
A person's temperature can vary 1 to 2 degrees through the course of a day. A true fever is not considered a fever until it is 100 F or more for three days.

I hope that fact helps.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 08:55:19 pm »
KRBClapton, please stay in your own thread. The information you gave is incorrect.  questions100, if you have a temp of 101 on up at any time you are considered to have a temp. If you get over 104 you can have seizures. 106 or higher can cause brain damage.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 06:27:56 am »
This, and the fact that I talked to my general practicioner about the incident, and he told me that "the idea that oral sex is low risk is patently false."

questions,

It sounds to me like your doctor hasn't read a transmission study since Hector was a pup. If you bothered to read the Welcome Thread and therefore the Transmission Lesson, you would have read that in studies where serodiscordant couples used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but not for oral, not one, NOT ONE of the negative partners became infected. These studies have shown us that even more than being low risk, oral is virtually NO risk.

Many doctors - especially GPs - don't bother to keep up on hiv research and it sounds like your doc is one of them. NOT ONE person has ever become infected through getting a blowjob in over twenty five years of this pandemic and you certainly aren't going to be the first. You can tell your doc I said that too.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.