Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:44:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Elevated liver enzymes  (Read 10138 times)

Offline phillypinko

Elevated liver enzymes
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:35:09 am »
My liver enzymes have been normal my entire life. Starting in April they have been up then normal then slightly high again. I drink but im not a drinker(a couple beers on Friday nights.) My doctor left me a message to tell me they were slightly elevated after a normal reading 6 weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to talk to him and he will not be in the office again until Monday. I am negative for all hepatitis. Any ideas what could be going on?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Elevated liver enzymes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:49:55 am »
What meds are you on - and not just hiv meds? Do you take supplements? What's your diet like? What, if anything, changed in your life this spring?

You haven't given us much to go on other than you're negative for all heps and you don't drink much alcohol.

edited to add... oops, sorry, just noticed this is in LTS. But, my questions are valid and the answers would help people offer sensible suggestions, so I'll leave my post here and slap myself on the wrist. ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:53:33 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Calison

• Struggling for 30 + years Ready for Next Big Leap!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 01:27:22 pm »
My liver enzymes have been normal my entire life. Starting in April they have been up then normal then slightly high again. I drink but im not a drinker(a couple beers on Friday nights.) My doctor left me a message to tell me they were slightly elevated after a normal reading 6 weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to talk to him and he will not be in the office again until Monday. I am negative for all hepatitis. Any ideas what could be going on?
Food additives, Fatty Foods,  Pharmacy drugs, HIV drugs and Alcohol  are just a few of the things that can contribute to liver issues.
Some liver support Natural Remedies have helped me for many years off and on as needed.
Milk Thistle extract, Dandelion root extract, Artichoke leaves, And Astragalus extract are all good and have help support my liver in times of stress. Health food stores carry these products and I have purchased some on line as well... Best to consult your doctor before using any of these... however I eat artichokes alot and dandelions are good in a salad. I have also heard Burdock root is good for the liver and It is good roasted in any case. Good Luck, Calison. 
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Offline phillypinko

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:44:07 pm »
What meds are you on - and not just hiv meds? Do you take supplements? What's your diet like? What, if anything, changed in your life this spring?

You haven't given us much to go on other than you're negative for all heps and you don't drink much alcohol.

edited to add... oops, sorry, just noticed this is in LTS. But, my questions are valid and the answers would help people offer sensible suggestions, so I'll leave my post here and slap myself on the wrist. ;)
The only supplement I take is vit c. I drink a can of redbull every day. My shrink put me on a couple psych meds that can cause liver enzymes to elevate but I've been off them since they spiked up to AST 270 ALT 550. A week later they were AST 150 ALT 350. two weeks later they we normal then four weeks after that they were AST 60 ALT 90. My liver enzymes have been stone cold normal my entire life. My doctor has no idea whats causing this. I've been tested for EVERYTHING. He said an ultra sound showed no signs of fatty liver so he thinks there is some kind of inflammatory process going on. He said because they are mildly elevated and I have no symptoms to just check them every month or so. :(

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:26:38 am »
You still haven't indicated which meds you are on.  It's possible for some prescriptions meds to cause elevated liver enzymes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:48:07 pm »
What does you doctor say?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline phillypinko

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:16:20 pm »
You still haven't indicated which meds you are on.  It's possible for some prescriptions meds to cause elevated liver enzymes.

Wolfie
Reyataz, viread, isentress, norvir booster....10 mg zyprexa, 600mg trileptal, 4 mg Ativan. I've been on these meds for years with no problems.

Offline NY2011

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:13:07 pm »
Was the ultrasound done to detect NAFLD, or "non-alcoholic fatty liver disease"?

My liver enzymes were fluctuating like crazy, and were 5X the normal level. It turned out that my previous drug regimen was causing the elevated levels, but prior to the switch, my doctor expressed a fair amount of confidence that it was NAFLD.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:15:43 pm by NY2011 »
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (fever+rash, 104 degrees F)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   (49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud
11/25/2014 - CD4=1,335 VL= ud
12/01/2015 - CD4=1,115 VL= ud (55%)
11/22/2016 - CD4=1,071 VL= ud (52%)
06/01/2017 - CD4=1,014 VL= ud (53%)
switched to Biktarvy in 2018
04/23/2019 - CD4=1,072 VL= ud (52%)
01/15/2020 - CD4=  925  VL= ud (50%)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 12:55:49 am »
NY2011 , as a person who has recently been diagnosed you are not allowed to post in the LTS forum , this particular forum is for those of us who lived with HIV before ART therapy became available 1995 - 96 , Thanks for your cooperation .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jpsam

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:48:36 am »
Hey there.  I'm not necessarily responding to the above post; I just joined this group, and am not entirely sure how to join in.  So, just want to say hi.  Have been identified as poz since 1985.   No real supports, apart from medical, during that time.  Friends and family know, but I know noone close to me who is poz, believe it or not.  For me, it's been kind of isolating.  Hard to date still, dealing with disclosure etc.   I guess I'm just joining this group in recognition of the fact that I have to start talking about my reality more, especially with people who get it.   I'm sure I'll post more, but just wanted to say hi, and I hope you all are well. 

Offline phillypinko

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:32:13 pm »
Was the ultrasound done to detect NAFLD, or "non-alcoholic fatty liver disease"?

My liver enzymes were fluctuating like crazy, and were 5X the normal level. It turned out that my previous drug regimen was causing the elevated levels, but prior to the switch, my doctor expressed a fair amount of confidence that it was NAFLD.
I had an ultrasound. My doctor said there is no sign of fatty liver. If they are high when I get more bloodwork done next month im going to ask for a referral to a GI doctor. I am reading things on the internet that conflict with information he is giving me. For instance I had a gall bladder attack when all of this started. He insists only bilirubin is effected by gallbladder problems. I've read countless stories from people with gallbladder problems who had all of their liver enzymes go berserk.

Offline phillypinko

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 11:08:19 pm »
After being elevated for 4 months my liver enzymes have returned to normal. My doctor blames the drug Lamictal.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.