Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 417
Total: 419

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting meds without resistance testing?  (Read 4036 times)

Offline whymeetc

Starting meds without resistance testing?
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:02:34 pm »
Today I had my follow up appointment with my doctor to see all my lab results, but my genotype testing results hadn't come in yet. They should come in sometime this week. My doctor wrote me a prescription for Atripla but told me not to fill it before the genotype test comes back. Thing is, I'm really eager to start treatment. The way I see it is that every moment I go untreated, my body gets a little more damaged by the virus.

Other than lost money, what's the worst case scenario if I do start taking Atripla for a few days and find out I'm resistant to it?
September 4, 2012

Offline vaguesbleues

Re: Starting meds without resistance testing?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:14 pm »
I was in a similar situation to you about a year ago.  I REALLY wanted to just get going on the medication, but was told to wait until I got the results back.  Now, after a year, it really wasn't a big deal to wait a few days.  Particularly as the results of the genotype test will give further verification that Atripla has a decent chance of working, I'd recommend just waiting the extra few days for the results to come in. 

Good luck as you start on the mediation!
3/10/11 - HIV-
4/26/11 - Inconclusive WB
5/19/11 - HIV+, VL < 50, T-Cell 747 (30%)
6/13/11 - VL 345, T-Cell 841 (30%)
8/23/11 - VL 50,100, T-Cell 1155 (19%) - CMV
9/18/11 - Started Atripla
11/7/11 - VL 489, T-Cell 881 (31%)
2/8/12 - VL Undetectable!, T-Cell 772 (34%)
8/8/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1070 (42%)
11/5/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1174 (35%)
3/18/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 972 (28%)
10/4/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 1025 (34%)
2/9/14 - VL UD
7/31/14 - VL UD
1/29/15 - VL UD, T-Cell 1027 (32%)
9/15/15 - VL UD
10/21/16 - VL UD, T-cell 765 (39%)
4/28/17 - VL 29
8/17 - started Genvoya
10/27/17 - VL UD, T-cell 880 (35%)
3/30/18 - VL UD
9/28/18 - VL UD, T-cell 980 (34%)
4/19/19 - VL UD
10/18/19 - VL UD
10/22/20 - VL UD, T-cell 1005 (35%)

Offline whymeetc

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:20 pm »
I was in a similar situation to you about a year ago.  I REALLY wanted to just get going on the medication, but was told to wait until I got the results back.  Now, after a year, it really wasn't a big deal to wait a few days.  Particularly as the results of the genotype test will give further verification that Atripla has a decent chance of working, I'd recommend just waiting the extra few days for the results to come in. 

Good luck as you start on the mediation!

Yeah rationally a couple days wont make much of a difference. I'll follow doctor's orders for now, the pharmacy's closed anyways. Gah I hate all this waiting, week here week there.

And thank you!
September 4, 2012

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:59:28 pm »
Yeah rationally a couple days wont make much of a difference. I'll follow doctor's orders for now, the pharmacy's closed anyways. Gah I hate all this waiting, week here week there.

And thank you!

I totally understand the frustration. Like some esteemed people around here are fond of saying, HIV is a lifelong journey (at least until the cure, or vaccine, or whatnot) and a week here and there is nowhere near as important as setting yourself up for a relatively painless long haul.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline whymeetc

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:23:25 pm »
This sucks. Another f*&king setback in a month full of them (got hiv, got committed, had to withdraw from school, got fired). I started my meds ahead of time because I am impulsive and have no patience which is how I got HIV in the first place. My doc just called and told me the lab said my vl wasn't high enough to test (LIE, it was >2500). Why did they have to wait until now to tell him/me, and not when I had my appointment which is when they were supposed to have the results? So my doc said to come back in 2 months and if the meds aren't working then we'll know that way. I'm flipping out. I can't wait that long. Do I have to wait that long? I mean, if the drugs don't work can't I just come in ASAP? I can't call the doc either cos they just closed and wont open til Monday. Worst case scenario I'm resistant to one component of the atripla and the virus is able to grow resistant to the other one, limiting my options. I should have just waited 2 more days... just like how I should have used a condom. FUCK. I thought I was in the clear. This was supposed to be my last "scary" test. Thank god the world's ending in December.
September 4, 2012

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.