Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:42:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 305
Total: 307

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Politics and the HIV Tether  (Read 4393 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Politics and the HIV Tether
« on: August 18, 2012, 01:54:04 pm »
I'm not going through any major depression right now - and I am extremely thankful for that.  I do notice, however, that my overall anxiety level has significantly jumped lately.  I already know the culprit:  the election cycle.  Everytime they come around, all things gay get put in the spotlight and we get demonized all over again.  It seems especially so for me on this go around for several reasons.

One, I can't think of a time when our parties were more polarized in ideology.  It feels to me like the right is more extreme and virulent than ever against not only the ones they see as immoral corrupters of society, but the flat out downtrodden.  The compassion deficit in this country seems greater than its financial one.  There's this whole mentality of "they get what they deserve" going on...and it's really stressing me out.

Another thing - and I hate to have to bring it up, but it's related to the above - is some of the fallout from the whole Chick-Fil-A / Dan Cathy thing.  I sided with the boycott but not with the refusal to allow the companies into certain states (because I think it sets a dangerous precedent), but it felt like an arrow to the heart to hear the things so many of the people I considered close to me had to say about it.  Someone who I considered to be among my closest friends said that the subsequent "kiss in" was "thumbing our nose at god".  It's heartbreaking and also infuriating because I would lay money that not a one of these people could tell you from memory where all the passages about the gays are in the bible - nor would they have any defense if I countered them with other bible passages.  The sickening thing is the smugness they have in their position.  As far as they're concerned, they don't even have to look any of it up.  It's not on them.  It just is, and that's all there is to it.  Add to this the likes of people like Tony Perkins - who is doing his best to paint gays and their supporters as dangerous in light of the attempted shooting at the Family research Council...completely sidestepping all the damage that has been done to us by people like him for years upon years.  I try not to let it get me down, but it still does.

And then there's the whole financial aspect of all this - and therein comes the HIV tether.  I feel the urge to get out - like literally go completely elsewhere from where I am - but I feel too stuck both financially and medically to do so.  I'm on ADAP, and one can't just up and jump to any place he wants.  This feeling is underscored each time I go in for renewal (as I just did).  It is obvious - and even vocalized by some of the more concerned employees there - that the state is tightening every which way it can in an effort to push people off the rolls.  To the powers that be it simply means a dollar saved, but what it really means is a life discarded. 

Add to that after my last lay off, I'm living pretty far from any jobs of any substance at all.  The whole thing's got me feeling really stuck.  It's just a malaise, but something I needed to get off my chest.  I'm just increasingly feeling that I want - need even - to go somewhere else.  Start over in as many ways as I can.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: Politics and the HIV Tether
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:55:53 pm »
Tim,

I'm glad you posted this.  The election cycle really does increase my anxiety level very much.  And for those receiving public assistance, the anxiety level must be even higher.  I agree the prevailing attitude among conservatives / Republicans seems to be one of contempt for anyone who is receiving public assistance, that such people are the scourge of our society.  So it's open season to vilify them both for political purposes, and because they really believe it.

How else can you explain things like the push to have welfare recipients go through drug tests?  And how come we're not drug testing anyone else who gets significant assistance from the government?  Texas, like other states, doles out millions of dollars each year to corporations they want to attract to the state -- shouldn't we drug test their CEOs?  Why not?

Ditto with the gays.  At election time, we are thrown around like political footballs.  Tony Perkins playing the victim card is just another twist in this pattern, albeit a more dangerous (and brilliant, for their purposes away).  There will be plenty of people who buy into this.  The poor persecuted Christians.  As you said, it's amazing how Tony conveniently omits any damage his group is doing against gays.

I'm sorry you feel stuck.  I think there are various times in people's lives where they feel the need to start over.  The burdens of having HIV -- and especially having to navigate the maze of government assistance -- make that much more difficult.  I think the goal of many conservatives seems to be to make it so difficult and downright shameful to receive public assistance that people will just drop out.

"Compassion deficit" indeed.

Hugs,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:53:13 pm »
@ TIM,  every 4 yrs. they all seem to come outta the wood work are out from under some rock.

I seen this before, it will all pass, nothing to get anxiety over, and nothing to fret about......

to me it's nothing more than silly political rhetoric and the parties trying to get votes

do what I do, read a good book, and turn off the Media outlets, don't worry you won't miss anything......that ole shit will still be there when you turn it back on  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:34:16 am »
Hell, the American (or should I say 'Murkin?) election cycle increases my anxiety levels too, and I haven't even lived there for over twenty one years. It's so depressing to see what has been happening to my place of birth. The outright hatred is frightening. I worry that it's "catchy" and it's going to infect the whole world if it isn't stopped.

Tim, I don't know what to tell you. I wish I had a magic wand (or won the lottery to the tune of some 140 odd million pounds - over $200,000,000 - like some couple in Scotland recently did) that could bring all the stuck people like you to live over here where the majority of people still have compassion and people with illnesses are looked after.

Better yet, I wish I had a magic wand that would change things where you and every other shat-upon people live. I cannot comprehend the inhumanity in the world.

When people like Cathy and Perkins ask themselves "what would Jesus do", how can they answer with a straight face? Jesus must be rolling in his grave. Didn't he allegedly advise people to love one another and look after the poor and the sick? I don't get it. I don't get how so-called Christians can spread so much hate. Is it an illness? It must be. I can't think of any other logical explanation.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:59 am »
Everything you say is true and regrettable.  One thing that might help is to volunteer and campaign for Obama, or if not Obama, then a local government leader who you do like.  Also, any get out the vote and voter registration organizations.

I wouldn't know what do to if I was confronted by daily prejudice or insensitivity, especially if it were my so called friends. Maybe there is somehting you can do about the bible bangers who hate gays, and are so lazy about their biblical sourcing.  Think up of about 5 really clever responses to christian gay hatred and commit them to memory. When you get a christian hate bomb thrown at you, you'll already have a protective feeling response, even if it doesn't do much to change their opinion, you'll feel protected by their smug bigotry.
If a friend said something like that, I think I might say "More than 100 years of scientific research proves evolution and I personally feel the world is a beautiful place, miraculous yes, ancient, and not created by god as described books and religions that are only a couple thousand years old.  You're my friend, and I respect that you find comfort and meaning in your religion, but it is teaching you hatred, fear, and ignorance about the world . hot very Christian.  And your mind is smaller because of it."

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:10:24 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.