Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:33:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 458
Total: 459

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tramadol / Anyone used this for depression ?  (Read 6912 times)

Offline weasel

Tramadol / Anyone used this for depression ?
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:34:20 pm »

Hello All ,

Today's question is about Tramadol , It was prescribed
   for chronic pain  , But I have found that it is apparently easing my
  depression .
   I have taken many pills for depression and never really crossed into the
Happy Zone .  But Right now I feel rather pleasant .
 Not sure how well this works for pain , as I woke up in agony again this morning .
  Any comments welcome .

Carl

P.s.  :  I have stopped my Citalapram for fear of a bad reaction . I also read
   Tramadol has been prescribed for depression when all else fails , and I my opinion  all  else has failed  :(
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Tramadol / Anyone used this for depression ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:47:11 pm »
Hi Carl . Tramadol is a narcotic pain medication so that's why its making you feel good .

That good feeling will be followed by addiction / dependency and issues with tolerance , I know because Im in pain management and Im dependent on pain meds . It was a decision that I didn't make lightly because for me to ever go back to being pain med free would entail expensive and painful detox .

So to answer your question , Tramadol isnt an antidepressant and should never be used as one .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »

Thank you Jeff ,
                            I was also prescribed Cyclbenaphine HLC 10 mg. to be
  taken four times a day !

I know if  I take these four times a day I will be a Zombie !

I have put off taken pain meds for a very long time . But living in pain
   is effecting my life to the point of stagnation .   

Bob is not wanting me to take pain meds as I will become a lump on a log .

Carl

P.s.   My boat has sailed so to speak  :-[
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 03:25:29 pm »
    Thank you Jeff ,
                            I was also prescribed Cyclbenaphine HLC 10 mg. to be
  taken four times a day !

I know if  I take these four times a day I will be a Zombie !

I have put off taken pain meds for a very long time . But living in pain
   is effecting my life to the point of stagnation .   

Bob is not wanting me to take pain meds as I will become a lump on a log .

Carl

P.s.   My boat has sailed so to speak  :-[

If you and your doctor decides to prescribe pain meds it can be done at a dose that's not sedating . I'm not trying to sway you one way or another but I'm on pain meds and I get lots done , more than before actually .

The decision is between you and your doctor alone and you will know if the time comes that you need further treatment for pain . It is decision not to be taken lightly .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »
Hi Carl , I see that some doctors do prescribe Tramadol as a off label treatment for depression .

I was so sure that it shouldn't be prescribed in that manner that I didn't even check , I still feel that treating depression with an addictive narcotic is an odd choice .

I take an antidepressant along with pain meds because it also helps with my pain management so I suppose if your pain plays a part in causing depression then treating it with pain meds could be seen as therapeutic for depression .

Just didn't want to mislead you bud . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline weasel

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:21:41 pm »

Thanks Jeff  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:15:20 pm »
Hi weasel
tramadol was originally used as an antidepressant long ago, but it is now more widely prescribed as mild pain medication.  It acts on the same receptors as codeine, but yes I took it for quite sometime and felt happier than I did on any antidepressant I ever took, not because of a high but it also affects serotonin in the brain as well.  You do have to be careful and take as dr prescribed because it also can cause withdrawal just like hydrocodone
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline AHVincent

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:54:08 pm »
Tramadol can be risky...

Sometimes this works just fine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolperisone

also known as mydocalm

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:55:40 pm »
When I searched this drug, I see where sites say it is a "narcotic-like" drug.  It is not a scheduled narcotic, except in a handful of states that have listed it as a Schedule IV. 

While I do read it can be habit forming, I remember taking Ultram.  I remember that was given to me in order to avoid being prescribed controlled narcotics.  It is a weak analgesic.  I know it felt like I was just taking Tylenol.  If it helps your depression, I cannot see a reason not to use it, if your doc agrees.  Ultram is heavily prescribed, in order to avoid potent narcotics.  It is often one of the first meds given, before deciding whether patients need something more powerful.  But, I'm no doc or pharmacologist.  I have just never heard of someone hooked on it.  Perhaps some do form dependence.  I just can't imagine it being like hydrocodone to quit. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 06:00:32 am »
When I searched this drug, I see where sites say it is a "narcotic-like" drug.  It is not a scheduled narcotic, except in a handful of states that have listed it as a Schedule IV. 

While I do read it can be habit forming, I remember taking Ultram.  I remember that was given to me in order to avoid being prescribed controlled narcotics.  It is a weak analgesic.  I know it felt like I was just taking Tylenol.  If it helps your depression, I cannot see a reason not to use it, if your doc agrees.  Ultram is heavily prescribed, in order to avoid potent narcotics.  It is often one of the first meds given, before deciding whether patients need something more powerful.  But, I'm no doc or pharmacologist.  I have just never heard of someone hooked on it.  Perhaps some do form dependence.  I just can't imagine it being like hydrocodone to quit.

My best friend, who was an addictions therapist for years, told me many doctors got hooked on Tramadol because of the idea that it was not addicting.  Then they tried to stop it.  It is addicting, though doesn't cause a "high" like, say, Vicodin would.   I don't believe it's prescribed for more serious pain.

Carl, if it's working and all other antidepressants have failed, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to give it a go for your depression.  The Citalopram was not working for your depression? 

I would, though, talk with my doctor about stopping the Citalopram and let him/her know the Tramadol is helping the depression issue. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline elf

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 08:27:33 am »
I used Tramadol when I had a tooth canal done.
It made my sleepy and it was hard on my stomach (it made me wanna throw up, yuck).

I'm on low dose fluvoxamine [Luvox], melatonin and disulfiram.

Luvox is the oldest antidepressant, but it's a sigma-1 agonist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma-1_receptor
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:40:54 am by elf »

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:56 pm »
My best friend, who was an addictions therapist for years, told me many doctors got hooked on Tramadol because of the idea that it was not addicting.  Then they tried to stop it.  It is addicting, though doesn't cause a "high" like, say, Vicodin would.   I don't believe it's prescribed for more serious pain.

Carl, if it's working and all other antidepressants have failed, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to give it a go for your depression.  The Citalopram was not working for your depression? 

I would, though, talk with my doctor about stopping the Citalopram and let him/her know the Tramadol is helping the depression issue.

Thank You Betty , I will have to check with my   Psycho Doctor and she what she has to say , The Citalapram  really does nothing to make me feel happy ?   
 I am quite pleased to feel happy .   It really does not appear to be that good of a pain killer , But 
  I will see how it plays out .    Living with depression is awful , as we know .   I can be happy and have pain .     
 Thank you all for  responding to my question !   

Carl    :)

" Live and let Live "

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 03:56:12 pm »
Hey Carl,

Wish I had advice for your pain and depression. :(
AMG is around the corner!
Can't wait to meet you (and everyone) and think it might be a great diversion. :)
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 06:08:13 pm »
I can't say I've heard of Tramadol at all but I have taken another older anti depressant Trazodone for sleep sometimes, and it is amazing for me knocks me out like nothing flat! It's amazing how so many medications are out there and how they work uniquely for different people.

I do think some docs today are taking second looks at some of the older classes of anti depressants for specific issues.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:35 pm »
Guys , its important to remember that Tramadol has been used off label as an antidepressant of last resort and its controversial at best to do so among most
doctors .

Putting Carl's case aside , If someone wishes to use Tramadol as an antidepressant and it doesn't work out after few months then you would need to detox from it because Tramadol does cause dependency and addiction .

Some how Tramadol and its makers have managed along with the FDA to avoid labeling the drug as a class 5 narcotic in most states and in doing so has avoided the stigma and strong warnings that other pain drugs get , in my opinion that makes it even more dangerous . Im not making a case for or against using this drug but Im just saying the walk over to try it for depression may be a lot more fun than the walk back home it doesn't work out .

I had no idea that Tramadol had such a checkered history and I found it rather interesting reading up on it .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.