Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:31:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 218
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: anxious  (Read 5205 times)

Offline portlandbill

anxious
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:10:29 pm »

Am very new to this but I must say I have found this site a great support and source of useful and informative info over the past two months. I hope I have posted in the correct forum!

My partner was recently diagnosed with HIV - his doctor has suggested that he has been living with the virus for a number of years - CD count was around 320 and VL 26000 at the time of diagnosis - Feb 2010. We have been together since 2004 and, as sure I can possibly be, we have a monogamous relationship.

This diagnosis has come as a complete shock to me and I immediately tested with my results coming back as negative ( I believe it was an antibody test ). My last possible risk was approx. three weeks prior to the test. I am now anxiously awaiting a further test which should be done in May.

We have only engaged in unprotective oral. With me as the receptive partner, ejaculation has occured occasionally into the mouth which has now, since the diagnosis, made me very anxious. I must say that prior to his diagnosis, I have never experienced any " signs and symptoms" - but since,  I have had a heavy cold lasting around five days which was immediately followed by a severe sore throat ( which has been on and off for the past two weeks - at one point it felt like it was burning ), nausea and feeling tired ( possibly down to stress at work ). I have also developed a strange coating on my tongue ( possibly thrush but I must see a GP to have a professional opinion - I am no Doctor) towards the back of my throat which I have never noticed before but it is causing me quite a bit of anxiety which I feel is thus making it worse.

I am trying to remain upbeat and put it all down to stress - I am a natural born worrier anyway and the most trivial of things cause me great concern - I freaked out once that the table napkins were not the same colour as the candles for a dinner party we were having - I digress!

I have read and re-read and read some more about the transmission of the virus and the risks re oral sex. I am trying to focus on my boyfriend and his concerns as he is the one living with HIV and yet, in my mind, I am also very concerned for myself and yet not wanting that to affect my partner. I want to be supportive and to be there for him when he needs me whilst trying to be rational and logical.

Anyway, I waffle too much - the internet is a fantastic source of info but sometimes we read far too much and our crazy minds run wild with all sorts - thanks for reading - any comments would be much appreciated.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: anxious
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:38 am »
Hi Bill, welcome to the forums.

Your chances of continuing to test negative are excellent. Oral sex isn't a very efficient mode of hiv transmission for several reasons. The mouth is a very inhospitable place for the virus and saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

Hiv can only infect a very few, very specific types of cells and these cells are not found in abundance in the mouth. As long as you have good oral health and hygiene, your chance of being infected through oral is practically nil.

I hope you know that getting  a blowjob is absolutely NOT a risk for hiv infection.

It can be difficult at first to adjust to a positive diagnosis and I'm glad you're there for your partner. I hope you have shown him this site and encouraged him to join as well. It's a fantastic source of support and information.

Hang in there.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline portlandbill

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:47:06 am »

Hi Ann

thanks for the welcome. I have found myself reading everything on this site and it really is a comprehensive and current source of information re HIV. Your words have been much appreciated.

My partner has received his first set of results since beginning treatment - CD4 up to 450 and VL down to 1600 - he started in Feb so an excellent response to treatment I think ( ? ).

I will encourage him to join the forums too - I know that he has read the posts.

I am now keeping everything crossed for myself next month whilst giving my partner all the support he needs.

Thanks again

PB

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:51:02 pm »
You're welcome, Bill.

Your partner has indeed had a good, strong response to treatment. He's going to be ok.

Once your partner's VL becomes undetectable, the chance of your being infected with his virus will dramatically lessen - and in light of the fact that you only engage in oral, you should have no worries about infection at all. This should help ease both of your minds.

If at some point in the future you add anal intercourse to your activities, as long as you use condoms, you will remain hiv negative.

And again, I do fully expect you to continue to test negative.

I look forward to hearing from your partner.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.