Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:51:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 190
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: new to the forums  (Read 3443 times)

Offline hopefully1

new to the forums
« on: May 21, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »
 hello to all here-i am posting for the first time here, although i have been following the forums for over a year now........my name is adam, i am in memphis tennessee. i am a hetero guy diagnosed in oct '09. i was simultaneously diagnosed with stage 4 live and bone marrow cancer. my vl was around a million and my cd4 was zero. i had just recently gone to work for myself and left the umbrella of insurance that i had with an employer of 10 years. i was immediately destitute in the eyes of the medical establishment. i was almost refused chemotherapy because the docs said i had only a few days to live, and the drugs would be wasted on me.

i got lucky and my parents fought to get me my treatments, which i survived. i was immediately put on atripla as well by my i.d. doc-a wonderful woman who originally began/organised the ryan white program here in my region...another bit of luck.

after my 6 chemo's i was deemed in full remission as well as being swithced to another med regimen for my hiv because the effects of the chemo hindered the atripla. i was changed to a combo of lexiva/norvir/sustiva/epivir.....once a day, but in higher doses than normal to offset the simultaneous chemo treatments. by the time chemo was over, i was down to 40 copies and a cd4 of around 250 or so.....which has continued to climb slowly out of the gutter ever since. i am still undetectable, and i adhere religiously to my regimen.

i have been given a crash course in matters such as ssdi, state medicaid assistance and the ryan white program-as well as learning the ins and outs of the disease itself. i have been very lucky to have suffered very few to no side effects at all from either the chemo or the hiv meds, for which i have no explanation other than luck and prayers from others.

i have had 2 very brief relationships since diagnosis, one with a poz woman and one with a neg woman. both ended for reasons related directly to hiv. i am alone and fairly isolated. i am healthy, upbeat for the most part, and lucky to be alive. i am a member of a couple of other support sites for poz folks, but i see the same issues in those places that i see in myself......isolation, quiet acceptance, support from arms length, and days empty of anything truly colorful.

this thread has no real meaning other than to introduce myself and say that i am here. i have read and re-read many of the things posted here, and i am continually amazed at the level of knowledge you all exhibit about our shared virus. oftentimes, it makes me feel as though i am not pulling my own weight as it were, for lack of a better term.

hiv services in my area are like many other rural southern areas, they are limited, almost hidden, and overrun with the poor. i also find that they are largely devoted to minorities, gay/lesbian, etc......which also tends to feed my isolation. i am a lower middle class 30 something hetero white male with 1 child, and it is not lost on me that i am in a sub-sub-set of the virus' victims.

i am not racist, sexist, or homophobic-i was raised in a very open minded if not liberal atmosphere where there is acceptance for all-so i welcome any and all who wish to comment, reach out, get to know me, whatever label fits......

i guess i am just another survivor adrift in a sea of hiv infected folks........

i suppose that's all for now-just an introduction of sorts, and a thank you to all of you who post here-your knowledge, insight, and interaction is very heartening to see-and i am sure there are plenty of folks who don't post here that quietly depend on your open sharing just as i have these past months. thank you all-

i look forward to commenting on some of your threads in the future as well as reading anything new that comes down the pipe, so to speak-

thanks for reading......Adam

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: new to the forums
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:50:17 pm »
Hi Adam,

Welcome to our family forums.  Glad to read that you are doing well, that was one hell of a battle that you had to fight.

Looking forward to your participation :)

Da Rev.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:51:56 pm »
Welcome Adam and thanks for opening by sharing a bit about yourself.
While the reason you got here isn't the best - I'm glad that you found us.  I'm sure that in your viewing of the threads on here you have found that we are a mixed bunch.  

Hopefully, your experiences here will be filled with many emotions - and more importantly support.

Once again, welcome.

-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 04:53:33 pm »
Hi Adam, welcome to the forums.  You've had an intense experience over the past (almost) two years and I'm glad to see that you've dealt with it as well as you have :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 05:01:02 pm »
Hey Adam,

WOW - not only are you a survivor, you are a fighter and apparently a good one too.  Welcome to the site and as you probably already know, you are in a good place here. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 05:19:40 pm »
HI Adam,

Welcome to the forums! :)

Being HIV positive can be a terribly isolating experience, moreso for people of your stripe. I've no doubt you'll find this place to be a fantastic support and source of comfort.

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 05:25:08 pm »

Welcome to the forums Adam. 

Your fighting spirit is evident in your story above.  I'm glad you've decided to join us and I look forward to your participation in the forums.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »
Hi Adam,

Welcome aboard.  I hope that you will discover that this place will offer whatever you may need at any given moment: lots of advice, truth, laughs - and above all else lots of love and genuine concern from people who truly care.

Looking forward to your continued participation here.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 07:40:31 pm »
Howdy there, Adam.  Welcome in.

-Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 07:48:52 pm »
Hi Adam , welcome to the forums .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline littleprince

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 07:56:14 pm »
Welcome Adam.

You say that yo are amazed by the wealth of knowledge of the people on here but I'm sure there are many who could benefit from the knowledge you have gained from the combo of chemo and HAART. Hope you stick around and chat with us.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 10:18:48 pm »
Adam,
Wow quite the introduction. It's always nice to welcome new members to this site. You are brave and a fighter, I like those kind of people!

Welcome to the Aidsmeds forum, which I think should be re-named to The HIV fight club!

Look forward to your posts!
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »
Hi Adam,

Welcome. You have great parents and apparently they passed on the family's fighting genes.

Em

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 11:00:31 pm »
Hi Adam,

Wow, just wow. What a story. My hat's off to you, you are a true fighter aren't you. We would be honored to have your presence among us.

Welcome and Hugs!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:34:46 am »
Nice to meet you, Adam.  As everyone has said, you've been through hell.  I'm so glad to hear you're doing so much better.  I will never understand why some docs want to give up.  They should never give up, and I'm glad your family pushed for your care.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 11:04:13 am »
Welcome.  I hope this site provides you with as much support as it did/does for me. 

Greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.