Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:29:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 687
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 686
Total: 686

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ebola Vaccine vs HIV Vaccine  (Read 5213 times)

Offline CanadianToAmerica

Ebola Vaccine vs HIV Vaccine
« on: November 05, 2014, 07:33:30 pm »
Hey guys, Maybe someone with a better understanding of the high end science can help explain this one to me.

I'm in Canada and lately all the time in the news we hear about how Canada is developing a vaccine for this virus.  I have also heard that the United States of America is working on a vaccine as well using the same or different methods.

How can we have a vaccine for this so quickly and yet 30+ years we're still just making marginal upgrades to antiviral therapy (Atripila to Complera to Stribild to Triumeq).

Shouldn't the researchers be trying these new methodologies just to see what happens.  Maybe we'll get some timothy brown type results or something.

Something just seems weird about the whole thing.

Offline Markmt

Re: Ebola Vaccine vs HIV Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:38:50 am »
Hey guys, Maybe someone with a better understanding of the high end science can help explain this one to me.

I'm in Canada and lately all the time in the news we hear about how Canada is developing a vaccine for this virus.  I have also heard that the United States of America is working on a vaccine as well using the same or different methods.

How can we have a vaccine for this so quickly and yet 30+ years we're still just making marginal upgrades to antiviral therapy (Atripila to Complera to Stribild to Triumeq).

Shouldn't the researchers be trying these new methodologies just to see what happens.  Maybe we'll get some timothy brown type results or something.

Something just seems weird about the whole thing.

Hello CanadianToAmerica. I very much share the same sentiment, especially the speed by which these Vaccines are tested and approved visa vi to any HIV Vaccine who we constantly hear, that any new breakthrough or further studies, would take AT LEAST 10 years before being approved, and that is if we are lucky enough and all goes well on human beings.

I am no expert but have been around long enough to anticipate what your answers are going to be, that HIV is a very smart virus, it mutates, it hides, it deceives the scientific community time and time again and has been out smarting scientists for the last 30 years and we should be grateful for the Mega expensive chemical cocktails we have to take religiously for our whole lives to stay alive     
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:42:26 am by Markmt »
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:00:31 am »
Mark is correct the biggest reason why I'd assume, is because HIV has the ability to mutate, hide, etc. Ebola stays the same, and doesn't have reservoirs. Keep faith, one day the technology and the right scientist will find the right solution.
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy
5/1/19 CD4 1100 VL still UD.

Offline Dan0

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:36:06 am »
There are quite a few less controls on testing and development in Africa than in Ohio or Tennessee. What can be fast-tracked oversees by the same Pharmacuticals is painfully slow in the US.
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:24:48 am »
What can be fast-tracked oversees by the same Pharmacuticals is painfully slow in the US.
FDA clinical trials have already been sped up thanks to HIV activists way back in the 80s. So something to consider is exactly how "fast" do you want your meds approved? Personally, I'll give the scientists some time. I'd hate to take a med for a chronic disease to find out in 3 yrs that the med was more harmful than the disease or wouldn't work any longer. Thankfully scientists have developed some really good meds in the meantime and waiting around today for a cure is certainly dramatically different than waiting around in 1990 for a cure.

"Ebola is 7-gene (RNA) ‘infectious particle (filovirus),’ so streamlined it isn’t
even a cell, isn’t even alive, can reduce a human body to a puddle, inner barriers
dissolving into nothingness, within days. How does Ebola virus, so much simpler
than influenza, simpler than HIV retrovirus, do it?”- Ricki Lewis, Ph.D., Genetics Science Writer
Ebola is not a retrovirus and should be easier to cure or vaccinate against. Besides very few viruses have been cured so far in mankind's history. Not having a vaccine or cure for HIV is not all that surprising when one takes a historical look at the treatment of diseases. We've only eradicated smallpox and rinderpest, while we can successfully vaccinate/treat a few other things like tetanus, polio, and rabies. Then when you consider the complicating issues of HIV resistance/mutation and latent, hidden reservoirs of virus, well, then you see how amazing it is that they have developed the meds we have that work so well today.

I would also dispute that they have had 30+ years. The first medication that showed any positive effect against HIV was AZT. HIV was determined to be the retrovirus around 1983-85. Tests with AZT began in 1985 and in 1987 (there's some fast-tracking for ya! LOL) was approved for human use. It's been 27 yrs since this first "cancer" med was re-purposed to be an anti-HIV med. Ebola has been known since 1976 or so, nearly 10 yrs longer than HIV, with no vaccine or cure developed yet.

Shouldn't the researchers be trying these new methodologies just to see what happens.
maybe you should read some more in this forum (ie Research). There actually ARE a lot of interesting methods/treatments that scientists are working on and there's a lot of information out there about this research. Just because it isn't front page news doesn't mean researchers aren't trying and inventing new methodologies. There's nothing weird at all about what's going on. What's going on is simply how science works - it takes time, resources, and a lot of very smart people.

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jivemiguel1

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 06:52:02 pm »
Wow! There's so much knowledge about Ebola now. How does anybody know, if it isn't hiding, like HIV? After all this shit about Ebola, "Who can trust what the CDC says" or the federal government says. I'm coming up on thirty years, with HIV, I trust no one.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:46 pm »
Wow! There's so much knowledge about Ebola now. How does anybody know, if it isn't hiding, like HIV? After all this shit about Ebola, "Who can trust what the CDC says" or the federal government says. I'm coming up on thirty years, with HIV, I trust no one.

The cdc has been very accurate and concise about Ebola .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:21:55 pm »

Sorry, but I don't see these these meds as just "marginal upgrades"... Tivicay/truvada are magic pills :)... I get more negative effects from a vitamin.

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 07:47:13 pm »
ebola has been around a long time, only new in the media

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.